Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What are you saying? That Messi can’t assist if he doesn’t have the ball? Well duh...
It's quite funny how somebody makes up an argument just for the sake of criticizing him and that suddenly becomes a narrative so many people agree on. Sounds like Messi would receive every pass beyond the half way line when in reality he's at ~60 passes per game, which is hardly much and in fact very close to de Bruyne, Neymar, Sancho etc. Don't hear anybody claiming that those guys only have so many assists because everything has to run through tgem.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
bs, he has to do it by necessity not by design. I can’t believe this is even a discussion for some people that he isn’t “a team player”. Mind boggling.
I may sound pedantic, but I think both of you are right and wrong at the same time.

Messi can be a team player when asked to do so, doubting him in that regard is stupid, but at the same time, he wasn't asked to be a team player in the last seasons, he's in charge of running the show and everyone around him plays depending on what he does, this also leads to him being a kind of "king" that doesn't need to be involved in a lot of things, and sets him free to focus on things like assisting, which by itself isn't the sign of a teamplayer, Cristiano has seasons with a lot of assists and he can be one of the most selfish players on the pitch.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
In case you're interested, Messi's father has finished his lunch. Imminent meeting with Bartomeu

RedDevil@84

In case you're interested, Messi's father has finished his lunch. Imminent meeting with Bartomeu
Reminds me of a newspaper report on an arrest of some prominent guy years back. It talked about how he had a burger at the airport which he washed down with Pepsi. I distinctly remember me saying WTF after reading it.

Not that I am insinuating Messi or his fathers are criminals.

Cloud7

sorry that I keep chiming in, but to be honest I think it’s a lot of posturing. Barto needs to erase the debt Barca have or he has to pay for a big percentage of it himself by the time of the new election in March (he can’t run again thankfully). He needs to put on a facade that he fought tooth and nail to keep Messi. The club is struggling to get transfer fees for rakitic and Suarez and perhaps Vidal as well. Messi alone would get him out of the red. I think deep down he wants to get rid of Messi, it’s a toxic board. Messi is fed up at how poorly the club is run and what it has become now.
So Barto will keep pretending to want Messi back publicly but tomorrow he and Messi’s dad (his agent) meet and that will get the ball rolling for his exit.
How exactly does this work? How does the club's debt become his debt?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I am not sure this can happen. The required money involved is going to be ridiculous and I am not sure even City will pay it.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
seafood with red wine?

Money really can't buy class
No offense, but because of your snobbish post, I have to say: there are lots of exquisite red wines which are awesome to drink with such a dish. Reading wine manual 101 doesn't mean class either, nor does money.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
How exactly does this work? How does the club's debt become his debt?

The Catalan giant’s ownership structure makes cash flow more important than it might be for teams with equity holders. The more it spends on players, the less it has in reserve for lean times. Being owned by the fans means that Barca can’t sell a stake in itself if it ever encounters financial difficulties. Or, at least, it can’t do so without the approval of the members, making it all but impossible.
That fan-based model also means it can borrow much less than its big rivals. Manchester United Plc has net debt that’s 2.7 times trailing Ebitda, an earnings measure, but Barcelona’s statutes limit its debt to twice Ebitda. Even with those limits, it will always need a steady flow of cash to service its borrowing costs, and to provide a financial cushion.

So in English, Allegedly the bylaws for the board allow the club members to hold a board liable if their debt ratio goes above a certain level, and required them to pay for 15 percent of it or something, at least that is my understanding. Since the club is completely fan owned the board has to ensure there is no debt carry over for when the next board comes in.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Sorry, but that is a simplistic way to look at tactics.

You need only to look at the impotence of key attacking players that Barca have brought in to purportedly “compliment messi” to see how much that hasn’t worked.

If a player scores 20 goals and 25 assists, At the sacrifice of two other players only getting 10 goals and 15 assists each, is that better than each of them getting 15 goals and 20 assists

Quick maths:
scenario 1: 40 goals and 55 assists
Scenario 2: 45 goals and 60 assists

That’s an improvement anyway you look at it and currently Barca have 250 million euro in talent wasting away because they cannot play with Messi.
Bit Ironic, that.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
So what happened after lunch? I mean, I know he probably used the restrooms a few times, but we could skip those details.
hahaha if you must know:

“Bartomeu's car, without Bartomeu, has appeared at the door of Jorge Messi's apartment in Barcelona

Without entering the estate, he turned around and left“

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
seafood with red wine?

sorry, I’m getting conflicting reports now:

Reds can go great with seafood you heathen.
No offense, but because of your snobbish post, I have to say: there are lots of exquisite red wines which are awesome to drink with such a dish. Reading wine manual 101 doesn't mean class either, nor does money.
:lol:

Dahmmy

in my perfect dream, Messi should stick with Barcelona for this year, and have all those niggling back injuries ruling him out of playing, but still link up with Bale for a few rounds of golf, that would be a "El classico"
imagine the spanish press then!

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
So after meeting for an hour and a half, Messi's camp holds firm that they want to leave, while Barto says the only negotiating he is willing to do is for a two year extension for Messi to remain at Barca.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
From an argentine journalist: "There is a 90% of chances that Messi will remain at Barcelona.
Tomorrow he will have a final decision. Messi is seriously evaluating staying until 2021 and leave triumphantly at the end of his contract"

El-Manos

From an argentine journalist: "There is a 90% of chances that Messi will remain at Barcelona.
Tomorrow he will have a final decision. Messi is seriously evaluating staying until 2021 and leave triumphantly at the end of his contract"
Well that wasn’t predictable

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Messi is honestly such a wee dweeb. Glad he isn't going to City though.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
apparently he is just a tier 3 type journalist. Would be stunned if he stays at this point

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Triumphantly?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Although I think the logical decision is definitely to leave, if it's going to lead to major legal wranglings and other such issues, he may as well stay and make the best of the situation at Barcelona with hopefully a new presidency there soon. As a footballing decision, moving would definitely be better but he has to decide whether it's worth all the trouble to get into a huge battle with Barcelona considering Bartemeu is a twat.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
seafood with red wine?

I read everything on the Caf, but this is too much! Waaay too much! Don't think I will ever be the same person again. Need professional help now. So shocked I can't even enjoy signing of van de Beek.

Is 9:25 AM too soon for red red wine?

See what you did to me?

cyberman

So he stays 1 year, City get him at 34 when he will undoubtedly be on the decline with his legs gone, tying them in ffp knots.
Saying that, I dont think Pep will be there next season so lets see where he goes.
I know the Barca board are clowns but they have played a blinder here

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
So he stays 1 year, City get him at 34 when he will undoubtedly be on the decline with his legs gone, tying them in ffp knots.
Saying that, I dont think Pep will be there next season so lets see where he goes.
I know the Barca board are clowns but they have played a blinder here
I don’t think they’ve played a blinder at all. They could get 100m plus this year, save 52m on wages and start their rebuild. Keeping an unhappy player an extra 10 months makes no sense whatsoever.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I don't think Messi will 'be in decline' as much as people think.

Messi will be good until around 37.

Pirlo left Milan at 32, he went on to play at Juventus for 4 years still being one of the worlds greatest Midfielders.

Messi will still be the best dribbler, passer, and one of the best finishers.

If Messi plays at the tip of a diamond with 2-3 players ahead of him that track back, there's no reason why he can't play until 37-38 at the highest level before doing the final 2 years in Argentina.

Even getting Messi next year on a free is a coup, United should compete for his signature with a really strong squad next year if possible.

If they add Sancho and a top CB this summer there's no reason why United shouldn't compete this year.

Next year is about squad depth.

fezzerUTD

apparently he is just a tier 3 type journalist. Would be stunned if he stays at this point
Must be a lifelong ambition for these journos to get to "tier 1" its like the champions league of journalism. Hilarious people tier reliability in the transfer market :lol:.

Status
Not open for further replies.