Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlahRules

Really?????
And this comes out after the Timber deal is now dead in the water :annoyed:
So this if true :lol: :lol: :lol: would mean we would not be going for Timber in the foreseeable future.
We still will go for Timber again as history suggests.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So we first went for Tiny Timber, then we moved for Tinier Martinez....who is our third option?

Andrew7582

I'm only ok with this signing if he's being brought in to play DM, he'll get exposed in the prem at CB.

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
Would be nice if Martinez en Timber could stay for 1 more season.
One of the best defensive duos in YEARS.

Hopefully their shortness will scare off some of the bigger clubs. :wenger:

Infra-red

Seems as though Ten Hag is keen on a utility CB/FB/DM who knows his system well.

If Timber isn't keen, then Martinez would seem to be the next best option. Failing that - it'll be time to re-sign Daley Blind.

Inezzi

He is a really good player. Very consistent, hard worker, aggressive ball winner, and good on the ball as well. Terrific mentality too. I think he would do well at any big club and surprise a lot of people, but he's maybe a bit overlooked because of his height. I'm surprised that he's not been sought after more (I think only Barcelona and Arsenal have been more seriously linked with him), but he and Timber form a fantastic duo for Ajax and I expect he'll stay one more season tops before a big club comes for him.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
So we first went for Tiny Timber, then we moved for Tinier Martinez....who is our third option?
Its ironic -- the country with the tallest people in Europe and we are looking at the shortest CBs available there.

How come City and Liverpool's CBs aren't midgets?

NLunited

Is this for real, or are we mentioned to put pressure on Arsenal?

devilish

Its ironic -- the country with the tallest people in Europe and we are looking at the shortest CBs available.

The issue in the EPL is that rules are a bit different to the rest of the world. In the Serie A for example if there's a cross and a striker touches the goalkeeper then most of the time that's a foul. Which means that crosses are far less effective in the Serie A then in the EPL which in turn makes the need for tall CBs less pressing than in the EPL. Which is why CBs like Cannavaro and Baresi (5ft9) did well in the Serie A.

The Dutch league is closer to the Serie A then to the EPL and tbf, ETH plays with a high line/high intensity football which means that most of the time opponents won't have the time to build their game the way they want to. However ETH is Pep's pupil in some way and he learnt that a CB needs to be tall in the EPL. I am only hoping that ETH will be using Martinez as a DM. In that case there's no issues whatsoever

cyberman

Its ironic -- the country with the tallest people in Europe and we are looking at the shortest CBs available there.

To be honest City were a better team with Fernandinho at the back. Greatest club side of all time had Mascherano in defence.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The issue in the EPL is that rules are a bit different to the rest of the world. In the Serie A for example if there's a cross and a striker touches the goalkeeper then most of the time that's a foul. Which means that crosses are far less effective in the Serie A then in the EPL which in turn makes the need for tall CBs less pressing than in the EPL. Which is why CBs like Cannavaro and Baresi (5ft9) did well in the Serie A.

The Dutch league is closer to the Serie A then to the EPL and tbf, ETH plays with a high line/high intensity football which means that most of the time opponents won't have the time to build their game the way they want to. However ETH is Pep's pupil in some way and he learnt that a CB needs to be tall in the EPL. I am only hoping that ETH will be using Martinez as a DM. In that case there's no issues whatsoever
Is that written in stone? I always thought it was an issue of interpretation and therefore subjective and varies with different refs -- and not league wide? Otherwise how does Zlatan survive there?
Interesting.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The people banging on about forget that we will have significantly more territory than we had under previous managers.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This sounds like a no brainer.
Can play CB, LB, LWB and DM, plus he's still at a good age.

devilish

Is that written in stone? I always thought it was an issue of interpretation and therefore subjective and varies with different refs -- and not league wide? Otherwise how does Zlatan survive there?
Interesting.
Well I have followed the Serie A since I was a kid. I also remember Taibi and Zola commenting about it. Not to forget Cech who criticised the EPL's physical football.

Infra-red

Since his Dortmund days, Klopp always buys/picks CBs who are tall and strong in the air (Hummels, Subotic, Matip, Van Dijk, Konate are all over 190cm). His sides press aggressively in midfield - the standard strategy for the opposition to negate this press is to play long balls (thereby bypassing the midfield). Klopp's big CBs are always there to dominate the aerial duels and prevent this strategy from succeeding.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
:lol::lol: People were moaning and debating about timber’s height. This guy is even shorter. Now we are certain Timber was targeted for CB role primary not right back.

justsomebloke

Chelsea is going for Jules Kounde though - he's the same height as Martinez. And there's Nathan Ake at City (not that he plays very much). So it doesn't seem like top clubs necessarily consider limited stature in CBs as a no-go. But height is obviously an advantage.

Lynty

Playing DM vs Chelsea. With De Jong would give us a lot of tactical flexibility.
Looks very good on the ball. Passing looks crisp (if a little telegraphed). Hard to see how we couldn't be and upgrade on Mcfred - other than a loss of combativeness.

I think if the recent links are true, it seems that we were after Timber to play multiple positions (possibly a DM first and foremost given the rumours Ten Hag is focussing on midfield). Martinez fills the same role.

Andrew7582

The people banging on about forget that we will have significantly more territory than we had under previous managers.
We aren't going to dominate games in the prem with 80% possession like Ajax are able to do in the dutch league, that's how they are able to get away with it in addtion to the fact that it's not as physical as the prem.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If true, I wonder how this might impact a potential deal for Antony. At some point, Ajax will presumably start saying 'no' (they have already lost Gravenberch and Mazraoui).
We're not buying Anthony this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.