Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
car crash of a post
I am getting a bit tired of blocking people who cannot make a point to save their lives.

I was also reading similar posts when we signed our current useless captain but you can bet I never had people who were hyping him at the time come back and admit they were completely wrong in their opinion.

But you (and the other... let's call him poster due to rule restrictions on this forum) keep playing your game of know-it-all.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Given that British immigration is scouser, I think they will try to delay his visa just like they did with Varane.

Remember the geese

I am getting a bit tired of blocking people who cannot make a point to save their lives.

I was also reading similar posts when we signed our current useless captain but you can bet I never had people who were hyping him at the time come back and admit they were completely wrong in their opinion.

But you (and the other... let's call him poster due to rule restrictions on this forum) keep playing your game of know-it-all.
Maybe the part that he took exception to was the bit where you said that he could potentially cost as much as Bruno. Bruno himself could potentially cost €80m.

Bobski

Think it has to be a Varane-Lisandro partnership, especially if Utd are going to be playing a high line. Maguire-Lisandro would be too slow as a pair when it comes to recovery pace, letting Martinez go and contest balls and use his agility and aggression to win the ball with Varane covering. Lindelof and Lisandro could possibly work as well against certain teams.

Look, for all the memeing of his lack of height it will be an issue, short cb's who are also on the slow side are fairly rare at the top level but his ability on the ball is exceptional and in a functioning team will hopefully more than make up for his downsides.

Kaos

Think it has to be a Varane-Lisandro partnership, especially if Utd are going to be playing a high line. Maguire-Lisandro would be too slow as a pair when it comes to recovery pace, letting Martinez go and contest balls and use his agility and aggression to win the ball with Varane covering. Lindelof and Lisandro could possibly work as well against certain teams.

Look, for all the memeing of his lack of height it will be an issue, short cb's who are also on the slow side are fairly rare at the top level but his ability on the ball is exceptional and in a functioning team will hopefully more than make up for his downsides.
You say all that, but it'll still likely be Maguire-Martinez. Varane is unlikely to stay fit all season, and Ten Hag has already given his "my Captain shall always play" answer.

Nero

United and visa requirements. I guess he should be available to play in about 6 weeks then.

CM

Ajax have done well for themselves, that's a lot of money.

Bobski

You say all that, but it'll still likely be Maguire-Martinez. Varane is unlikely to stay fit all season, and Ten Hag has already given his "my Captain shall always play" answer.
Then we might have a few games early in the season when Utd are in serious trouble defensively.

They actually have contrasting issues with pace. Maguire is slow on the turn and in his agility but has ok pace when in his running stride. Lisandro has excellent agility, quickness on the turn but quite slow over distance.

Gas Go Marching In

Supports
Bristol Rovers
It seems a lot of money to me. The Sky sports bloke says about him winning the Copa America, well he only played one game in that and behind £42m Spurs man Romero (who is a very good defender himself to be fair). Obviously his height is a bit of a concern at CB. Disappointed that clubs are still taking the piss out of Utd financially. Hopefully he will be a good signing though which is the most important thing. He will have to be for what we have spent.

Dansk

Just days ago, the club announced that Maguire will remain captain. Seems a bit weird to do that if they expect him to be a backup player.

That’s actually not what he said :lol:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
What’s wrong with caring about the direction of the club? The weird thing is that some people (like the poster you responded to) seem insistent on denying that there are at least modest signs that the direction has changed since Woodward’s departure.

Possibly. Maybe they’re just ultra-sceptical and believe that while the Glazers are in control there won’t be any change. I don’t agree with them, but that doesn’t make me feel superior to them.

Well exactly. We are now signing players that help the manager play the way he wants. Ole said he wanted to play front-footed high-pressing football, so the club signed Maguire. Not a joined up process.
Oh yeah the club signed Maguire. As if they'd refuse to save 30 million if Ole had said to go for Ake...

Abraxas

Wow. Turned out even more expensive than I imagined.

I guess this is the problem with the manager directed approach. There is probably a list but it's not extensive and it's abundantly clear what the manager wants - players he knows. It doesn't leave the club much room to navigate this market and Ajax have really taken advantage of that.

Revaulx

Oh yeah the club signed Maguire. As if they'd refuse to save 30 million if Ole had said to go for Ake...
I dare say Ole was complicit in signing Maguire, who was presumably a Phelan pick from his Hull days. The signing still didn’t make sense if Ole meant what he said about the sort of front-footed play he wanted to progress to.

I’m not sure there would have been anyone at the club capable of querying whether Maguire was a good fit for what Ole wanted to achieve though.

Will Singh

I think your twisting words to fit your narrative here, when did he say that?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Just days ago, the club announced that Maguire will remain captain. Seems a bit weird to do that if they expect him to be a backup player.
Not necessarily if there are no other strong candidates, and if there is a new manager who still has to truly get to know the dressing room. Both of which are true for us at this time. Leaving the club captaincy with Maguire even if he won't necessarily be first choice gives us a year for the new management team to decide who the long-term choice will be, and also for potential new options (such as Martinez himself who some have said could be an option) to establish themselves in the dressing room.

In saying that, I fully expect Maguire will be given the opportunity to be first choice, and it'll be up to him to keep that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.