Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lights Out

Have an inkling Marty will play in midfield this season as we are stacked at CB. Or at least start off at midfield and drop to make a three at the back when out of possession.

Yes yes I know EtH said he's better as a defender than a midfielder but our squad needs a midfielder more.
We may be “stacked” in terms of numbers but certainly not in terms of quality and reliability.

Martinez will play as LCB

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Have an inkling Marty will play in midfield this season as we are stacked at CB. Or at least start off at midfield and drop to make a three at the back when out of possession.

Yes yes I know EtH said he's better as a defender than a midfielder but our squad needs a midfielder more.
We ain’t buying him for midfield, he’s made his reputation as a CB and that’s where we have bought him for. We are not stacked at CB, we have a bunch of error and injury ridden individuals that we need to start decluttering from the squad. The only question is who will play alongside Martinez at CB

Giggsy13

I'm hoping that we have "overpaid" for Martinez as part of a deal to get Anthony too. I heard Anthony has a big sell on clause so it would be in Ajax interest to reduce the fee on Anthony and add some onto Martinez.

The fact the negotiations and price seemed to stall and then increase was maybe us agreeing a "bundle" price for the pair and structuring it in a way to maximise profit for Ajax.

Ajax buying some support for the right wing makes me hope that's the case.
That’s full on muppet logic :lol:

Lights Out

I'm hoping that we have "overpaid" for Martinez as part of a deal to get Anthony too. I heard Anthony has a big sell on clause so it would be in Ajax interest to reduce the fee on Anthony and add some onto Martinez.

The fact the negotiations and price seemed to stall and then increase was maybe us agreeing a "bundle" price for the pair and structuring it in a way to maximise profit for Ajax.

It’s a cute idea but I’m sure Ajax aren’t going to get involved in something like that just to potentially save £1m quid in a sell on fee

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Great! So, let's hope that this month we can finalise FDJ deal and maybe RWB and RW if needed. Then the transfer window is complete and next steps are offloading Telles, AWB, Jones, Bailly (if he's still crap; haven't seen the pre-season games but allegedly he was good) and Ronaldo .

Martinez will change our game a lot and might be even more vital signing than FDJ would be. Not worried about Antony, but sad that LVG sabotaged our Timber deal. This would have transformed our RB a lot, but again - Dalot has been decent during pre-season so maybe he will find his RWB skills under ETH and we'll see him and Sancho linking with each other nicely. Let's hope so.

croadyman

Great! So, let's hope that this month we can finalise FDJ deal and maybe RWB and RW if needed. Then the transfer window is complete and next steps are offloading Telles, AWB, Jones, Bailly (if he's still crap; haven't seen the pre-season games but allegedly he was good) and Ronaldo .

Martinez will change our game a lot and might be even more vital signing than FDJ would be. Not worried about Antony, but sad that LVG sabotaged our Timber deal. This would have transformed our RB a lot, but again - Dalot has been decent during pre-season so maybe he will find his RWB skills under ETH and we'll see him and Sancho linking with each other nicely. Let's hope so.
Well saw some tweet Erik wanted two more (not including De Jong), so presume it's RB and RF/ST

Seven Seas Sardines

People are laughing but I thought the same thing after initially being pissed off with us haggling over 5-10m for months to then offer 15m above asking out of the blue.

Sao Paulo has 20% sell-on clause, so it'd make sense to overpay for Martínez and get Antony on a cut-price fee.

Ajax have Berghuis, Bergwijn, Tadic, Ihattaren, Conceicao as Antony options already..

The Red Thinker

I'm not sure they needed to waste space on the internet with a four minute video of a guy jostling players.
I thinking jostling players is literally a part of the art of defending. There are those that read the game and never fall like Maldini, others who manoeuver strikers and use spatial awareness to win the ball. The one that comes to mind is Carles Puyol. He was not tall for a CB and yet he was brilliant against strikers of all types. Puyol had the best sliding tackle in the game for a decade and had the uncanny ability to get between the defender and the ball. If Martinez comes to within 50% of Puyol, we’d have ourselves a great defender. In my opinion, he plays a lot like Puyol did, but is so much better on the ball than Puyol.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Bet in his announcement video they give him the Tom Cruise treatment and make him wear lifts and shoot him from clever angles.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Great signing. Same height as Mascherano and he wasn’t the worst when played in defence…

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Bet in his announcement video they give him the Tom Cruise treatment and make him wear lifts and shoot him from clever angles.
It’d be funny if they gave him the hobbit treatment and used perspectives to make everything else look bigger or one of those giant beach chairs

dubplate warrior

United will be so much better playing out the back this season and in terms of their collective pressing. We've been desperate for a centre back who can step in when playing low blocks and can also help us play through the press. I don't think we will see massive improvements till the second half of the season but if we can sign De Jong alongside Martinez and Eriksen than everything changes.

I do think we will end up seeing Martinez and Varane (injuries permitting) gradually become the first choice pairing. It makes sense why Ten Hag went for Timber instead of Martinez even though the latter is currently the better player, he is far quicker and makes us less susceptible to the counter (I think especially with Maguire and Lindelof) we will be caught on the counter quite a few times this season).

For any attacking team, Maguire is a proper tactical liability, at least with other tactical burdens like Cristiano he guarantees you goals, unfortunately for Harry, so does he.

Last edited:

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
The resurrection of the "Argentina, Argentina" chant at games makes up for his lack of height and desire to be played out of position.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Already love him. Would be great to see him starting every game alongside Bailly/Varane (between both of them, with their injuries, hopefully we have one CB that is always fit to partner with Lisandro)

feck slow trains of Maguire and Lindelof

mu4c_20le

I think so. He is what ETH needs irrespective of price.
We had them over a barrel. Player was ready to throw a strop and only had eyes for us. I can only imagine we'll be dealing with them again in the near future so no need to sour relations.

They better give us a big fecking discount for Antony

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
We had them over a barrel. Player was ready to throw a strop and only had eyes for us. I can only imagine we'll be dealing with them again in the near future so no need to sour relations.

Forget about it!

Discounts have been given way too often in the past. Ajax is also overpaying themselves (Bergwijn, Brobbey and Bassey). You win some, you lose some I guess.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

I think thats exactly it. We have a good relationship with Ajax rather than fall out over a few million we just bit the bullet and go him in as ETH wanted him. If ge wins us a major trophy in his time here, heck even if he helps us to top 4 this season he will have paid those extra millions back.

Status
Not open for further replies.