Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Agreed, and it is not like we benefited much from tall players, last season, in one game we could field Maguire, Varane, Matic, McTominay and Pogba, all 190cm and above, and yet, we wouldn't score that many goals from an offensive set piece, the team has been strong as a unit in defending set pieces, only conceding 5, so the issue is our defense conceded too many goals from open play, and height wouldn't make much difference in such situation.
Speaking of United's defenders, who would you consider United's best defenders ever then?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Agreed, and it is not like we benefited much from tall players, last season, in one game we could field Maguire, Varane, Matic, McTominay and Pogba, all 190cm and above, and yet, we wouldn't score that many goals from an offensive set piece, the team has been strong as a unit in defending set pieces, only conceding 5, so the issue is our defense conceded too many goals from open play, and height wouldn't make much difference in such situation.
Yeah, height helps but it's not like NBA. When we played City in 2017-18, they scored 2 goals from set pieces, we had team of giants and they had smaller players, but they looked threat from every set piece.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah, you're right. Baresi and Cannavaro wouldn't have cut it in the premier league. What was I thinking, throwing in such examples? Now I think about it, there are so many chancers out there who are heralded as all time greats, but they never proved it in the PL, so feck 'em.

Your post is quite literally one of the stupidest I've ever read.
They might have looked okay competing against weaklings like Batistuta and Vieri, but that doesn't mean they'd have cut the mustard on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke against Ricardo Fuller.

Monks_United

I thought the wait for Martinez was going to be short. Why hasn't this been announced yet. This is the absolute height of incompetence.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Paul Parker, Denis Irwin, Gabriel Heinze, Patrice Evra & Rafael da Silva.

Stam & Ferdinand were overrated.
Don’t forget Buttner. Much better than Vidic.

Some of the posts I’ve read today should be illegal. Highlights include Baresi and Cannavaro couldn’t cut it in the PL, Carrick was rubbish, and Paul Parker was better than Rio Ferdinand.

Hoof the ball

Yeah they were short central defenders but those guys didn't play in the Premier League. Well Mascherano did, but played as a midfielder for Liverpool. The Premier League is a different beast it comes to physicality.
You mustn't have seen Serie A in the 80's and 90's when Baresi played if you think the Premier League is a different beast physically. During Baresi's prime, Serie A was brutally physical. More physical than the PL is now, and probably more physical than the PL was in the 90s. So, no; Baresi would have found it easier in the PL than in Serie A during his prime playing years.

Chicharo

What are you talking about? I was responding to someone who implied that Martinez‘s lack of height isn’t an issue because it works in international football. I’m not sure how you’ve suddenly turned that into my logic.
Yes I said it's not an issue, but you perhaps misinterpreted it. I meant that it shouldn't be an issue, because he is simply a great (we'll see how good in the PL) CB. Maguire isn't.
And perhaps (me first) should stop talking about his height, majority of us trust ETH. I trust him. Let's see Lisandro and where his position will be before we judge him only by his height

buchansleftleg

Looking forward to watching this guy play for us, hes the sort of player we've been missing for years.

Has the sort of bite and tenacity that is needed to defend your box or destroy a magic ring in Mount Doom.

May just need to shave his feet to earn that lucrative boot contract though.

jesperjaap

Paul Parker, Denis Irwin, Gabriel Heinze, Patrice Evra & Rafael da Silva.

Stam & Ferdinand were overrated.
So Rafael da Silva who had one progressive season in his career here is one of our best ever defenders?

For me STam and Ferdinand are easily the best two central defenders we have had, would hav ebeen the perfect partnership. Irwin and Evra til his later years would make up the back four.

His career was too short here, but I do think Heinze and his time due to the emergence of Evra and Liverpool rumours is very much under rated though, he was a quality full back and an absolute warrior during his spell here...but come on, Stam and Ferdinand were two genuine world class centre backs

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

So Rafael da Silva who had one progressive season in his career here is one of our best ever defenders?

For me Stam and Ferdinand are easily the best two central defenders we have had, would hav ebeen the perfect partnership. Irwin and Evra til his later years would make up the back four.

His career was too short here, but I do think Heinze and his time due to the emergence of Evra and Liverpool rumours is very much under rated though, he was a quality full back and an absolute warrior during his spell here...but come on, Stam and Ferdinand were two genuine world class centre backs
I think Vidić gets into the best ever centre back/world class conversation but I pretty much agree with everything you've said.

- Heinze tarnished his name when he wanted that Liverpool move. Otherwise he was very good in my opinion.

Hard for me to put anybody ahead of Neville for our RB spot.

OrcaFat

Baresi and Cannavaro are two of the best defenders of all time. If they played in the EPL they would have bossed it no question.
They would have, you’re right. Over the course of a prem season they would lose a lot of important aerial battles but their overall quality in other parts of their game would outweigh that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looking forward to watching this guy play for us, hes the sort of player we've been missing for years.

Has the sort of bite and tenacity that is needed to defend your box or destroy a magic ring in Mount Doom.

May just need to shave his feet to earn that lucrative boot contract though.
Cue 12 month ban after testing positive for pipe-weed.

Status
Not open for further replies.