Liverpool Football Club and their unconditional media love-in

LDUred

For the record, I would have sent off both Harry Kane and Andy Robertson for their respective challenges in the match between Spurs and Liverpool yesterday (19/12/2021). They were both red cards. I would say that Robertson's was palpably the more dangerous because it involved plenty of force and was actually a clear act of violence and aggression. Harry Kane's was justifiably a red card but it is the sort of challenge where the player sometimes gets away with it because he is making an attempt to get the ball. We've seen the same thing happen to Pogba where he's overrun it and gone after the ball with a frustrated lunge to cover for his mistake. It is a red but it is not a clear red card to every referee because some will see an intent to play the ball there.

That being said, does anyone think there would have been anything close to the reaction Liverpool have had in the media if Ronaldo had clobbered someone on the touchline, then earlier in the game had been the recipient of a studs up challenge that only saw a yellow card? I doubt it. All the focus would have been on 'red card' Ronaldo and how he had 'gone looking' for a victim having been frustrated during the game.

The point is that Liverpool now have so many fans and backers in the media who pipe up in chorus whenever Jurgen Klopp goes on a post-match rant. He establishes the narrative and then you have Alan Shearer and Mark Clattenberg reinforcing it, prepared to throw Tierney under the bus to avoid criticizing Robertson for a disgraceful challenge that could have resulted in serious injury. It is obvious that there is a clear distinction between the two challenges: one of them is a reckless attempt to get the ball (yellow/red, depending on interpretation), the other is a wild hack borne out of frustration (red, violent conduct). But it seems as if they are more outraged about the Kane challenge going unpunished than players actually committing acts of violence on the pitch, for which Andy Robertson has plenty of previous for.

That was the first time Andy Robertson has been sent off in his career and that he hasn't been sent of prior to that is a miraculous. In fact, it's Liverpool's first red in 112 games, while they've also somehow managed to rack up the second most fouls in the league.

They are a dirty club and there seems to be an agenda to attack referees whenever something goes against them.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Change the names around and it's word for word the sort of thing opposition fans said about us under SAF.

diarm

For the record, I would have sent off both Harry Kane and Andy Robertson for their respective challenges in the match between Spurs and Liverpool yesterday (19/12/2021). They were both red cards. I would say that Robertson's was palpably the more dangerous because it involved plenty of force and was actually a clear act of violence and aggression. Harry Kane's was justifiably a red card but it is the sort of challenge where the player sometimes gets away with it because he is making an attempt to get the ball. We've seen the same thing happen to Pogba where he's overrun it and gone after the ball with a frustrated lunge to cover for his mistake. It is a red but it is not a clear red card to every referee because some will see an intent to play the ball there.

That being said, does anyone think there would have been anything close to the reaction Liverpool have had in the media if Ronaldo had clobbered someone on the touchline, then earlier in the game had been the recipient of a studs up challenge that only saw a yellow card? I doubt it. All the focus would have been on 'red card' Ronaldo and how he had 'gone looking' for a victim having been frustrated during the game.

The point is that Liverpool now have so many fans and backers in the media that they pipe up in chorus to whatever Jurgen Klopp says post-match. He establishes the narrative and then you have Alan Shearer and Mark Clattenberg reinforcing it, prepared to throw Tierney under the bus to avoid criticizing Robertson for a disgraceful challenge that could have resulted in serious injury.

That was the first time Andy Robertson has been sent off in his career and that he hasn't been sort of prior to that is a minor miracle. In fact, it's Liverpool's first red in 112 games, while they've also somehow managed to rack up the second most fouls in the league.

They are a dirty club and there seems to be an agenda to attack referees whenever something goes against them.
Compare the coverage Liverpool have received in the last 24 hours, to the complete absence of coverage for Newcastle who have been utterly screwed over in each of their last 4 or 5 games.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I dare say those on RAWK and Bluemoon have suggested there was a massive media love in during Manchester United's successful period under Sir Alex Ferguson.

Fts 74

Klopp it seems can do and say whatever he wants, he's had the media eating out of his hand since day 1.

Some of his post match comments should really result in disciplinary action but probably won't and I know he's an idiot but Simon Jordan had a bit of a pop at him for his antics.

BTW, Kane really should've seen red but he's the golden boy.

Korwas

Everyone thinks that the media and the refs loves their rivals.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Robertson’s challenge was probably more cynical, but Kane’s was the more dangerous. I don’t really get your point tbh, one was sent off and the other wasn’t, why would they focus on the one who did get sent off (justifiably), instead of the one who unjustly wasn’t sent off?

Change the names around and it's word for word the sort of thing opposition fans said about us under SAF.
Everyone thinks that the media and the refs loves their rivals.
Also agree with these

cyberman

But we won every year though. If this were said about City then that comparison would be valid

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
But we won every year though. If this were said about City then that comparison would be valid
What does winning have to do with anything though? OP is talking about how the media reacts to teams

cyberman

What does winning have to do with anything though? OP is talking about how the media reacts to teams
People used to hate Utd because we won everything and a 50/50 decision going against us was a rare chance for us to stumble. We were over exposed by our support and titles to the point everyone was sick of us. That isn’t Liverpool.
I’ve said it before but there’s a strange tendency on here to compare Liverpool to SAF sides with late goals etc as if well they are mirror images of each other. The situations are nothing alike. That’s not why Liverpool get kid glove coverage.
Liverpool have always been on the receiving end of favourable coverage event during their wilderness years, West Ham are another with a large Journalist support. People criticise them over the Suarez incident but only years later, a lot of journos fed into their defence with the nonsense about the slur being endearing in Uruguay etc.

Don Juan Matus

Klopp it seems can do and say whatever he wants, he's had the media eating out of his hand since day 1.

Some of his post match comments should really result in disciplinary action but probably won't and I know he's an idiot but Simon Jordan had a bit of a pop at him for his antics.

BTW, Kane really should've seen red but he's the golden boy.
Not one referee in this country would have the balls to send Saint Harry of In-gur-land off, don't think he's ever had a red card!

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
People used to hate Utd because we won everything and a 50/50 decision going against us was a rare chance for us to stumble. We were over exposed by our support and titles to the point everyone was sick of us.
And a large amount of rival supporters felt that Manchester United got preferential treatment from the media and from referees. There was no truth to it, but it’s just what rival supporters do. Same way that everyone thinks Martin Tyler supports their rival’s team.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Compare the coverage Liverpool have received in the last 24 hours, to the complete absence of coverage for Newcastle who have been utterly screwed over in each of their last 4 or 5 games.
If you followed Scunthorpe I'd have some sympathy. As a United fan that's just insane. We are literally and frequently headline news for no reason at all sometimes.

diarm

If you followed Scunthorpe I'd have some sympathy. As a United fan that's just insane. We are literally and frequently headline news for no reason at all sometimes.
Oh we're the biggest story in town no doubt. But our coverage is nowhere close to as sympathetic as Liverpools. If anything, it's the opposite.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Oh we're the biggest story in town no doubt. But our coverage is nowhere close to as sympathetic as Liverpools. If anything, it's the opposite.
The media only want a story. Either it's the greatest thing ever or the worst thing ever. They just push you to the nearest extreme. See the England football team, they vacillate between world beaters and a shambles every so often. Everey good team is the best team the league has ever seen.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I remember when I used to go out in towns - Salah is like their David Beckham. Literally posters of Salah on the streets and shops.

He is also from an ethnic minority that isn't heavily successful in football - so salah means a lot to alot of people. I've watched them, they can almost watch Liverpool just to keep updated on him.

I say this because of players like Salah, manager like Klopp - Liverpool are the most famous/loved team by the population; atleast in the newer generation. This is why the media talk about them, for the attention and money. They are just what we were back in the 1990-2000's

City is hardly loved in their our town compared to Liverpool as seen with their stadiums.

diarm

The media only want a story. Either it's the greatest thing ever or the worst thing ever. They just push you to the nearest extreme. See the England football team, they vacillate between world beaters and a shambles every so often. Everey good team is the best team the league has ever seen.
I don't think it's as black and white as that. There is a narrative around Liverpool, particularly when it comes to television media, that simply doesn't exist for over clubs in England - no matter how big or successful.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
When we were doing well people felt that our large support base, success and manager were getting us favourable treatment (while we no doubt felt we were getting treated unfairly).

Now Liverpool are doing well people feel their large support base, success and manager are getting them favourable treatment (while they no doubt feel they're getting treated unfairly).

The fact that they're not now as successful as we were is neither here nor there. Partly because their back to back CL and PL wins are still more than enough to irritate, particularly given the context of the latter. And partly because the perception that they get favourable treatment isn't yet at the level it was for us under SAF either. But it's still the same basic dynamic.

arthurka

Klopp hasn't really shown his full mental mode because he has mostly had a great time at Liverpool.
I will just say this when it starts to go bad it goes bad really fast and the English media will love to get him worked up.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I don't think it's as black and white as that. There is a narrative around Liverpool, particularly when it comes to television media, that simply doesn't exist for over clubs in England - no matter how big or successful.

You might be right but they said the exact same thing about us in the 90's 00's.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Loving threads like this.

Yes, Klopp has the refs and the media singing to his tune. We get preferential treatment and everyone loves us while fans of other clubs hate us. We're also insanely lucky and have been fluking results for years.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Agreed, they always get spoken/written about as if they're everyone's second favourite team. I mean, for an example of this, just look at the coverage of their PL win, it was up there with what I would suspect a England WC win would get.

However, what really gets on my nerves is how, contrary to their actions over literal decades, their fans' are presented as 'salt of the earth' and that every last one of them is some sort of connoisseur of football.

diarm

You might be right but they said the exact same thing about us in the 90's 00's.
For sure. But despite what we read and listen to in the media, they are a long way from being as dominant as we were back then.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
For sure. But despite what we read and listen to in the media, they are a long way from being as dominant as we were back then.
That's a complete strawman. Nobody is saying that. Just that they are a great side, and I personally think that's because they a great side. While they were shite the Spiceboys became a byword for overpaid footballers in shiny clothes with questionable hairdos. The media is vile but they're not out to get you, they just chase clicks and advertising sales.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Agreed, they always get spoken/written about as if they're everyone's second favourite team. I mean, for an example of this, just look at the coverage of their PL win, it was up there with what I would suspect a England WC win would get.

However, what really gets on my nerves is how, contrary to their actions over literal decades, their fans' are presented as 'salt of the earth' and that every last one of them is some sort of connoisseur of football.

This thread is so bitter and self pitying, it'd be music to any scouser's ears.

"We won the league and made the mancs cry! "

Last edited:

MUFC OK

*In before an opposition player gets unfairly sent off in one of Liverpool’s next 2/3 PL games.*

diarm

That's a complete strawman. Nobody is saying that. Just that they are a great side, and I personally think that's because they a great side. While they were shite the Spiceboys became a byword for overpaid footballers in shiny clothes with questionable hairdos. The media is vile but they're not out to get you, they just chase clicks and advertising sales.
A strawman?

I'm not sure where I've suggested anyone is out to get us.

My point is that the Liverpool love in is excessive. That's all.

lex talionis

Liverpool do enjoy fawning media coverage these days, but there's always going to be a golden club in the eyes of the British media. When the wheels begin to fall off for them, the coverage will quickly turn nasty, brutish and short.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

The point is that Liverpool now have so many fans and backers in the media who pipe up in chorus whenever Jurgen Klopp goes on a post-match rant. He establishes the narrative and then you have Alan Shearer and Mark Clattenberg reinforcing it, prepared to throw Tierney under the bus to avoid criticizing Robertson for a disgraceful challenge that could have resulted in serious injury. It is obvious that there is a clear distinction between the two challenges: one of them is a reckless attempt to get the ball (yellow/red, depending on interpretation), the other is a wild hack borne out of frustration (red, violent conduct). But it seems as if they are more outraged about the Kane challenge going unpunished than players actually committing acts of violence on the pitch, for which Andy Robertson has plenty of previous for.

That was the first time Andy Robertson has been sent off in his career and that he hasn't been sent of prior to that is a miraculous. In fact, it's Liverpool's first red in 112 games, while they've also somehow managed to rack up the second most fouls in the league.

Kane’s challenge was WAAAY more dangerous…

If you had to take one of those challenges, anyone that’s played the game would take Robertson’s in a second.

Kane’s could’ve ended a career, Robertson’s was a red, no doubt, but it was way less dangerous.

Liverpool play the best footy in the PL, City are obviously amazing also, but Liverpool are more exciting. Thus they get media favour, that’s obvious really.

Liverpool’s manager is also a magnetic, larger than life character with very sound political views who speaks well and is clearly very intelligent. Thus the media like him.

Liverpool have also built their squad without oil money etc, which seems to matter a lot for some people (I don’t really care, but whatever).

To be fair, Solskjaer enjoyed an incredibly gentle ride from the media, the likes of which I’ve never seen before with such a clearly out of his depth manager at the biggest club in the country.

Last edited: