Liverpool sign Sylvain Marveaux

Liverpool have all but concluded the signing of Rennes midfielder Sylvain Marveaux, with the player a guest in the directors' box for last night's 0-1 defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The Frenchman is capable of playing both on the left wing and at full back, but generally turns out in the former position - from where he scored ten goals in Ligue 1 last season.

Liverpool have longed for an outlet on the left hand side of their midfield for a very long time, and Marveaux's pace and ball control will be valuable assets for the Reds.

With his contract with Rennes ending in summer 2011, Liverpool have secured his signature for just £1.5m, but cannot expect immediate results.

Marveaux is currently out of action with a groin complaint that has troubled him intermittently recently, and Roy Hodgson will hope Liverpool's revamped medical team can manage it effectively.

Liverpool seal January transfer of French winger - Liverpool FC

I don't know how good he is. Maybe the Ligue 1 watchers can tell us more about him. So he's 24 and from that short video I can see he is naturally left footed, pacy and can score goals. I hear some people have been comparing him to Malouda.

For just £1.5m do we think he will be a good signing or not?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
He's alright, great technique, bit of a dip in form this season though so we'll see if he steps it up in the PL

slightly better than Ashley Young, but slightly worse than this song

032Devil

He must be wondering what he's got himself into with what, the renowned Kop giving their own manager and players hell yesterday.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
better option than what they have currently, thats for sure. Whether he can transform that potential onto the PL stage is a different question

davisjw

Linked to ourselves about the same time last year. Left footed left winger, not too many around. It might be the second good signing after Meireles since Hodgson took the helm.
But will he be there to enjoy it? :lol:

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
How do you rate him Kouroux? I know only of him have never watched him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's a good player, about the same level of Nasri before he signed for Arsenal.Liverpool is just not the place to go if he wants to develop into a much better player.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
\he's signed for Newcastle this morning.

Neutral

BTV
The player has come out and said, it wasn't a failed medical, rather personal terms that caused the Liverpool deal to fall apart.

Newcastle do stupid things, but I can't imagine them giving a player a 5 year deal only days after he supposedly failed a medical somewhere else(especially with them already taking a risk on Demba Ba)

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
The player has come out and said, it wasn't a failed medical, rather personal terms that caused the Liverpool deal to fall apart.

Newcastle do stupid things, but I can't imagine them giving a player a 5 year deal only days after he supposedly failed a medical somewhere else(especially with them already taking a risk on Demba Ba)
If that isn't doing a Newcastle I don't know what is:D

Hargreaves next?;)

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

I can easily imagine them doing just that.

In this case I think they just offered higher wages and regular first team football, which we wouldn't.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
It must be another part of the dippers' plan to bid for players they never really wanted in order to get other teams to blow all their budget. Then they're free to get the real gems like Downing, unchallenged.

Those cunning scousers!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It must be another part of the dippers' plan to bid for players they never really wanted in order to get other teams to blow all their budget. Then they're free to get the real gems like Downing, unchallenged.

Those cunning scousers!
Heh. King Kenny's long-term plan.

Drive all the other clubs into bankruptcy by paying an insane amount of money for a raw 21 year old English striker half way through his debut PL season, which inflates the market, then trying and failing to sign loads of other random players which pushes their transfer fee/wages even higher.

Genius.