Sun, 17 January 2021 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
    If we defeat the dippers at home they will psychologically fall apart. This isn't just about 3 points. Even if we lose we still have the same points, I'd say go for the kill.
    And if we lose why won't we psychologically fall apart? Why is that something that will only happen to Liverpool? And surely if they psychologically fall apart after we beat them, what happens if they beat us? They psychologically galvanise and realise they can win the league and go on a big unbeaten run? I don't understand why the only outcome here is negative for Liverpool but we're sitting rosy no matter what.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    I mean, in so far that he's no spring chicken and had missed a fair few games before playing 90 mins (?) v Burnley. But not officially.
    He needed that run out after 3 missed. He’ll be a lot sharper for it.

Expecting a surprise inclusion on the bench; Diallo

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
    And if we lose why won't we psychologically fall apart? Why is that something that will only happen to Liverpool? And surely if they psychologically fall apart after we beat them, what happens if they beat us? They psychologically galvanise and realise they can win the league and go on a big unbeaten run? I don't understand why the only outcome here is negative for Liverpool but we're sitting rosy no matter what.
    We have already fallen apart numerous times since Ole has taken over, were over it now. Remember when we ended the arsenal unbeaten record and how they went off the rails ? The same thing will happen to the dippers.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

What do you lot think of your team's mentality?

Lose today and will the wheels come off ?
    Nah, whenever the wheels came off it was either because we lacked personnel in crucial roles or because we were set on doing one thing, but our opponents found a way to deal with it and we were forced back to the drawing board (or a combination of both). One thing that you can't take away from Solskjaer is that he's kept a tight dressing room and that the players, who are the ones that matter, never lost faith in him. In this sense, i think we'll be fine since most teams can't hurt us the way Liverpool can and this set of players has already gone through way worse than being joint at the top after a loss at Anfield.

To tell you the truth i'm more worried about the scousers regaining their full confidence, if they win both games against us. For any team of very high quality who has a well-tested and tried way of winning big prizes but is experiencing some bumps on the road, like Klopp's side, these fixtures against up and coming but "not quite there yet" big rivals can be a blessing in disguise.

Of course, the manner of the defeat plays a big part but i don't believe that, if we lose, we'll lose heavily.

Crustanoid

I see the mirror opposite here.

The pressure is all on us. They know they can go on title winning runs. Our team is in uncharted territory. We’ve seen far too many false dawns.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
    It's a big game for all the usual Utd/Liv reasons but i think the importance to the title race is a little bit of a hype job. Yes it would be a huge boost either way but winning this fixture always is.

ALOT of points to play for in the league, we aren't even half way.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    I am worried about our blunt attack in this one if as I expect we play Pogba from the left and Rashford from the right again. Puts a lot of onus on the number 9 (Cavani or Martial) as the only one playing in their preferred position

croadyman

Haha wait who are you talking about? I was talking about Cavani.
    Yeah this game makes my thinking go haywire, hope Eddy can join Diego in the legendary status for winning goal at Anfield today. He is finally going to be facing one of the supposed big six after waiting so long. Our record has been so poor in these big six games so far and would be some place to change that.

I am sure Bruno is really looking forward to his first meeting with the scousers (how mad is that) but needs to make sure that fire doesn't boil over especially with VAR in place.

Last edited:

MattyLT

I think we're going to see two teams who are mostly concerned about not losing. A draw is a good result for United, so it makes sense to go for a cautious approach. Turned out eventually that a draw was a good result against City, after picking up wins in the following games. So Ole will probably want a repeat of that.

Liverpool - who aren't on great form by their recent standards - will be expecting United to drop points throughout the season, so they'll mostly be concerned about United getting an even bigger gap at the top of the table. If they can keep the gap at 3 points, the title race is still very much on, and it's likely they can take top spot before the season ends.

So no reason for either team to really go for it here, and I predict a drab 0-0 draw. McTominay and Fred as the midfield pairing, and a measured amount of moaning (but taking the result) on RedCaf after the match.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The pressure is all on us. They know they can go on title winning runs. Our team is in uncharted territory. We’ve seen far too many false dawns.
    Neither team will care that much. It's just 3 points with many many more on the table.

Yes it'll be a nice boost but we either go +6 or equal, it's not over either way.

TheReligion

Abusive
    As well as we have been doing I'm still not convinced in the slightest by our big game mentality. The squad is still young and very naive when the pressure starts to mount. Leipzig away and City in the semi final spring to mind. Our record against the top teams recently is abysmal.

I hate being negative but it just seems destined that we will get beaten today. Taking the above into account along with the incredible hype put on the game. I see it being a pretty big disappointment and Liverpool showing they are still strong by putting a shift in.

Giggsy13

I can’t remember the last time feeling this nervous before a game. It’s bringing back old memories and I love it.

hubbuh

It's a big game for all the usual Utd/Liv reasons but i think the importance to the title race is a little bit of a hype job. Yes it would be a huge boost either way but winning this fixture always is.

ALOT of points to play for in the league, we aren't even half way.
    Psychologically, this could galvanise Liverpool. Likewise a win would be the first big team we've beaten domestically this season and it being against our most fierce rivals would be a massive moment for the players.

croadyman

Neither team will care that much. It's just 3 points with many many more on the table.

Yes it'll be a nice boost but we either go +6 or equal, it's not over either way.
    Yeah also worth remembering that neither of City's games in hand are going to be easy, however do worry how much Villa are going to have in the tank on Wednesday.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    I can’t remember the last time feeling this nervous before a game. It’s bringing back old memories and I love it.
    Was far more nervous going into the last 3 league games tbh. We were expected to win them but this one is tighter and we aren’t favourites.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Yeah also worth remembering that neither of City's games in hand are going to be easy, however do worry how much Villa are going to have in the tank on Wednesday.
    Yep, City are humming along outside the spotlight nicely right now, and even Leicester are keeping up the pace.

Leagues aren't won from 1 off matches, but it'll show how far we've come if we can go toe to toe at anfield.

GeorgieBoy

Having to miss the first half because it is the same time as my vaccine appointment.

Not sure I have the stomach to watch this one anyway.
    Not been this nervous before a game in a long time.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    hate this fixture with a passion. can't stand the thought (let alone reality) of losing to them. But I think might well be a reality check for us. can't see us going anything from the game

JSArsenal

I agree with all of you in that a defeat probably doesn't change too much in and of itself. What about the effect on Liverpool?

A defeat might break them or at the very least rock their confidence depending on the. manner of same.
    A win might make them think that they've seen off one of their challengers with a few missing players so the league is in the bag.

Dolf

It has to be

Rashford - Cavani - Greenwood
    Bruno
    Fred - Mctominay
    Shaw - Maguire - Bailly - AWB

We need Bailly for his pace. Cavani for his experience and workrate. Mcfred for the balance.

crossy1686

career ending

Many people aren't thinking clearly at the moment it appears. We have no recent history of going on a title run but Liverpool will crumble? Okay then, sure they will...

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
    cant wait to see craig burleys reaction if we get a result

croadyman

Yep, City are humming along outside the spotlight nicely right now, and even Leicester are keeping up the pace.

Leagues aren't won from 1 off matches, but it'll show how far we've come if we can go toe to toe at anfield.
    Yeah Leicester did well to win that game last night, they maybe aren't churning out wins like we saw in 2016 but the squad is better overall now in my opinion

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    It has to be

Rashford - Cavani - Greenwood
    Bruno
    Fred - Mctominay
    Shaw - Maguire - Bailly - AWB

We need Bailly for his pace. Cavani for his experience and workrate. Mcfred for the balance.
    Incredibly harsh on Pogba. Greenwood has done nothing to start such a big game.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
    Liverpool fans seem to think Matip is playing today, that's 2 CB's fit for the match then.
    He'll be fit but I wonder if he'll be match fit. Klopp might take a risk and play him, but I wonder if it's something we can capitalise on?

Judas

Open to offers
    Greenwood should be nowhere near the starting lineup for this.

Genuinely don't know how I feel, I do think we've got a chance of winning, but I'd say they're clearly favourites. But we're in a good position to get something.

croadyman

Liverpool fans seem to think Matip is playing today, that's 2 CB's fit for the match then.
    Yeah fully expecting him to start but make no mistake this isn't like facing VVD & Gomez at full tilt which had that deadly combo of fast and strong

prateik

Put out all the midfielders.

Fred, McT, VdB, Pogba, Bruno..

And Rashford up top.

edit: Matic in there too.. Rashford can sit on the bench.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
    I really want us to get a contentious penalty for Bruno to score the winner. The salt will be able to grit all the roads in Europe.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 74% of 459 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions