Livestream out of Syria

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Al Jazeera interview on the ground claims that Homs is getting hit with rockets and planes.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Wasn't this the exact situation we went into Libya to prevent? I hate World Politics, its a fecking disgrace that all of the Western world are sitting on our hands while this happens.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wasn't this the exact situation we went into Libya to prevent? I hate World Politics, its a fecking disgrace that all of the Western world are sitting on our hands while this happens.
Hopefully more footage like this will light a fire under a few western leaders.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Is this being covered anywhere on main news channels?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
NATO won't do it without some form of authorization, which can't happen without the Security Council approval.

Drifter

American
That's the reality.Al about national interests.

Smores

Really wish I hadn't clicked the last link earlier, really horrifying stuff.

As much as China and Russia deserve condemning for their actions I find western powers acting morally superior over the issue frustrating. We've stood by and maintain to do so in far too many other cases to act supreme.

It's a sad state that these decisions are based of politics and not morals or empathy

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Amazing these guys are still broadcasting after 13 hours. Even scarier that you can still here the same bombs going off in the background as we heard this morning. Assad is really pounding the hell out of these people.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Time for the CIA to make Assad have a car crash.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
This is a bit out of context with the thread but there was a tv show on BBC a good while back before this all started and it was about Syrian children and their school life, how it was slowly becoming more modern and they had more freedom. Assad's wife even turned up to talk to the kids. Guess it was all pretty much propaganda.

BBC - BBC Four Programmes - Syrian School, Changing Schools

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I don't think this is correct?
Typically NATO interventions are a result of UNSC resolutions or approval. To appease the Chinese and Russians, the language in the resolutions is dubious enough, as in Libya, that they can complain about the actions being taken being "outside the parameters of the resolution" while NATO can easily say that it is within them. Now, China and Russian won't even abstain from a condemnation, much less any sort of call for Assad to step down.

After Qaddafi, I don't think they want to let anything similar happen for a while so their people don't get any ideas. Especially the Russians who know that Putin will steal the election next month as he did the parliamentary elections a few months ago.

Neutral

BTV
This is a bit out of context with the thread but there was a tv show on BBC a good while back before this all started and it was about Syrian children and their school life, how it was slowly becoming more modern and they had more freedom. Assad's wife even turned up to talk to the kids. Guess it was all pretty much propaganda.

BBC - BBC Four Programmes - Syrian School, Changing Schools
It doesn't necessarily have to be all propaganda. Syria isn't some third world backwater....

'Freedom' - is relative. So it is quite possible that Syrians do have more freedom, but when the starting point is zero, it's still a long way from the ideal situation.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
It doesn't necessarily have to be all propaganda. Syria isn't some third world backwater....

'Freedom' - is relative. So it is quite possible that Syrians do have more freedom, but when the starting point is zero, it's still a long way from the ideal situation.
Fair enough, can't say I know anything about Syria at all. Just the impression that programme gave off compared to what is happening now is two different worlds.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
He's committed to ending the violence...when he's killed everyone who needs to be killed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's going for the Bahrain model. Brutal crackdown behind the scenes, coupled with the perception of inquests and internal reforms. Trouble is, it may have worked about 6-8 months ago. The people are two pissed now and have formed a resistance movement that won't go away until he does.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He's committed to ending the violence...when he's killed everyone who needs to be killed.
No kidding, everyone with a gun is happy to end the violence! Gotta love rhetoric.

Reading about all this I can't help but think, "Gee, it would be nice if some country would come in and help these poor people."

Not that simple, of course.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The Arab League? This recent 'mission' and subsequent UN proposal is just about the most pro-active they've ever been. Not sure what they can or even would be willing to do tbh.

One of the Qatari princes thought out loud about an Arab League military mission recently, to go and act as a peacekeeping force but I don't see them ever doing it and it could only end in absolute disaster anyway if they tried it.