London 2012 Olympic Competition

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Cavendish the shit hot favorite for the road race imo with such a flat finish, although he'll be counting on his team mates to help him through box hill. Not a bad team to do that mind you. Aussies aren't that bad, but the only way they'll win is through a break away. Goss doesn't have the explosive pace over Cavendish in an all out sprint.

Sagon the second favorite imo

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Should be good this, plenty of attacking opportunities.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Cavendish the shit hot favorite for the road race imo with such a flat finish, although he'll be counting on his team mates to help him through box hill. Not a bad team to do that mind you. Aussies aren't that bad, but the only way they'll win is through a break away. Goss doesn't have the explosive pace over Cavendish in an all out sprint.

Sagon the second favorite imo
Why is our team helping cavendish win? Why don't they try win it themselves? Or if 1 wins do they all win

mariachi-19

Why is our team helping cavendish win? Why don't they try win it themselves? Or if 1 wins do they all win
Unless there's a successful break away, cycling is fundamentally a team sport. Its like the tour de france, any rider can win it, but in the end, the whole team of 10 riders usually work towards the success of one rider. Cavendish as it stands, is the fastest sprinter in the world, and should it come down to a sprint finish, you'd bet your house on him, especially with riders like Wiggins, Millar and Froome who have a good turn of pace in order to lead him out with. Those 3 rider don't have the pace to take on the top sprinters in the world so effectively, they ride to help Mark win. He wins and its like a gold medal for them.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
In that respect, the Oympic cycling is slightly flawed, whichever team wins the gold medal should be collective, albeit in a smaller size for the team members who don't 'win'

Still, Cavendish is a good shout for this gold.

mariachi-19

In that respect, the Oympic cycling is slightly flawed, whichever team wins the gold medal should be collective, albeit in a smaller size for the team members who don't 'win'

Still, Cavendish is a good shout for this gold.
That's cycling I guess. There are guys that bust their arse their entire career and never win a race, but other riders owe virtually their entire success to them. Mark Renshaw is one for example, George Hincappie another who have busted their arses for the glory of others.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Why do we need separate events for men and women in sports like shooting where there is no element of speed or strength?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Well I'm not sure what the Olympic rifles are like, but recoil + general arm strength to balance the rifle at the finest of targets is necessary.
I'm not sure there's much strength involved in the shooting they were just showing... the women taking part were tiny.

unknownnames

Siling Yi of China wins the first gold medal of the London 2012 Olympics with victory in the women's 10m air rifle.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Is this a thread for every event? It's going to get messy pretty quickly.

Anyway, I've no idea what to watch. I can't handle being able to choose between everything, I'm going to miss all the good stuff.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Nevin doing well, and should win this from here.

Sam

Cycling is weird. Nothing the commentators say make sense, the whole GB team is racing for one man? Only he can get a medal?...So why don't the others want one?...And the guys who are leading the race aren't in a good position tactically?

My brain hurts. :lol:

mightberight

Cycling is weird. Nothing the commentators say make sense, the whole GB team is racing for one man? Only he can get a medal?...So why don't the others want one?...And the guys who are leading the race aren't in a good position tactically?

My brain hurts. :lol:
Cavendish is the best sprinter at the end. They all take it in turns to save energy for the other riders (mainly Cavendish) as there's less air resistance, just like a slipstream in motor racing.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The Germans seem to be being selfish, making GB lead the pack which takes more effort.

Or something.

mariachi-19

Wierd as feck I don't get it. People are ahead of GB and the commentator is making out it's a shit thing to do.
The guys that were leading for 4 hours use alot more energy than the peleton 'main group with team GB' Unless you can stretch the gap to 3-5 minutes, the peleton will who have higher energy reserve because they stretch it out over the day, will hunt the leaders down.

The reason that its making harder for team GB is because they're having to break the wind first for everybody else which uses more energy.

Sam

Cavendish is the best sprinter at the end. They all take it in turns to save energy for the other riders (mainly Cavendish) as there's less air resistance, just like a slipstream in motor racing.
So they'll keep the main sprinter (in this case Cavendish) in there slip stream the whole race, in order to save his energy for the end sprint?

But none of them (bar Cav) will win any medal for this?..That really is an incredible attitude to do all that work for someone else.

mightberight

So they'll keep the main sprinter (in this case Cavendish) in there slip stream the whole race, in order to save his energy for the end sprint?

But none of them (bar Cav) will win any medal for this?..That really is an incredible attitude to do all that work for someone else.
Yup, pretty much from what I understand. I'm no expert but cycling may just be the ultimate team event in terms of sacrifice. They're all playing crucial roles, but by merit Cavendish IS our best hope here, and so deserves the team's focus.