London 2012 Opening Ceremony

Agent Red

Does anyone know the music that was used for the film at the very beginning where it had a countdown of the numbers from 60 using different images?

Pscholes18

I think its disgusting that NBC cut the tribute to the London bombings, even more disgusting that they are trying to justify it by saying it was not tailored to an American audience. Tasteless in the extreme. There is a whole world outside the USA, not that they would know. Imagine us totally blanking 9/11 tributes?
NBC's coverage since the ceremony has been a joke.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I loved that Danny Boyle 'took no prisoners' and captured modern day British identity in the most coherent and transparent way demonstrated thus far.
If that was coherent, you'd struggle to get incoherent without dropping acid.

He nailed it. This is who we are.
Is it? Well I guess if I really am a hay-tossing peasant, a rictus-grinned industrialist, a jiving nurse and a giant wobbly Voldemort, it's best to find out now rather than later...

I loved that he did things that are the barmiest of idea's, The Queen with 007 is the stuff films are made off ... and it happened in real life.
It didn't mate. That bit was a film.

Boyle took performance art to another level. it was an iconic tour de force of British society, identity. culture, creativity and ingenuity.
:lol: I just remembered you work in sales/marketing ;)

Teachers should make young teens watch this so they understand the history of this little Island
I'd worry a bit when it came to exam time...

"Summarise the effects of the Industrial Revolution."
"House parties."

I just wonder how someone even more eccentric such as the late lamented Ken Russell or Peter Greenaway would have presented it.
*shudder*

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Oh god, that thread is brilliant. :lol:

Song 2 by Blur...hmmm...it just so happens that the number 2 is symbolic of Lovecraft's eldritch Old Ones. I don't think I need say any more.
I can't watch it any longer - my Freeview box is making a funny noise due to the spying devices M16 installed; I wasn't fooled by that 'Virgin Media' bloke's stick-on beard.
Is it safe to watch this? My tummy started hurting when Tiger Feet came on - Mud have disrupted my inner chakras. Time for some Gaviscon, methinks.
Don't take that stuff! It's the Pepsi of the mind control world!
That black kid's bowler hat is shaped like a UFO.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Has to be a wind-up...surely:

As the London Olympics develop, many children are being abducted by the UK/USA/ET military to be put into Mengele Woodpecker cages, to undergo trauma based (torture) programing, or other would undergo Montauk beams programing. Many will not survive, but the surviving ones will be program slaves for the purpuses of the NWO.

Not to mention these...

Am I the only one here that's surprised an 86 year old woman is able to do a parachute jump without injuring her legs or something on landing?
Queen's guitarist is a well-known Satanist.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
[/SPOILER]

Fair enough. Politically I had no issues with it. Aesthetically I thought it was a mess, and the fact that they're always a mess doesn't change that (though the Chinese one wasn't a mess, it was cracking totalitarian theatre).
Yes. It also had the help of CGI. Not to mention the disgusting act of telling a seven year kid she was too ugly to sing live. They then got a 'better' looking child to mime the ugly kids singing. Yep, they're great those Chinese.
Out of interest how would you have done things had you been in control of it?

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Yes. It also had the help of CGI. Not to mention the disgusting act of telling a seven year kid she was too ugly to sing live. They then got a 'better' looking child to mime the ugly kids singing. Yep, they're great those Chinese.
Out of interest how would you have done things had you been in control of it?
I suppose I would have chosen a single conceptual theme, and then used British stuff that embodied it. Rather than cobbling together all the right-on aspects of Britishness I could think of.

For instance, off the top of my head, one way of out-Beijinging Beijing while being true to the 'Olympic spirit' would have been to make it a celebration of freedom. There have been some key British contributions to that.

If there was an overarching theme to this one it was, "We're mad, us! Bloody bonkers, you know!"

I'd have also tried to make it less parochial and less England-centric.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I suppose I would have chosen a single conceptual theme, and then used British stuff that embodied it. Rather than cobbling together all the right-on aspects of Britishness I could think of.

For instance, off the top of my head, one way of out-Beijinging Beijing while being true to the 'Olympic spirit' would have been to make it a celebration of freedom. There have been some key British contributions to that.

If there was an overarching theme to this one it was, "We're mad, us! Bloody bonkers, you know!"

I'd have also tried to make it less parochial and less England-centric.
Making it less England-centric would have only served to make it even more incoherent I feel, to foreign audiences at least. To many, it seems that Britain = England, so although I'd like to have seen it, I don't tink it would have gone down all that well.