Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So is this based on the movie remakes by Hugh Jackman or the original Russian TV miniseries?

USREDEVIL

I'm excited but don't want to set my expectations too high. Peter Jackson did a perfect job, especially with the extended versions.

Fingeredmouse

Doubtful, as it was destroyed in the First Age.
Ah, so it's set in the second age I see..think I might have known this previously now that I think of it. Not sure where that might be then. It's in a valley but surely not Imladris. Ost-in-Edhil?

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Is that Gondolin?
Somewhere in Gondor in the second age is the predominant theory I've seen but some of the architecture and the outfit of the forefront figure looks more Elvish to me but it may just be the booze tapping into my history as a nerd and talking shit. Also as an aside I'd love to meet an Elvish bricklayer.

Fingeredmouse

Somewhere in Gondor in the second age is the predominant theory I've seen but some of the architecture and the outfit of the forefront figure looks more Elvish to me but it may just be the booze tapping into my history as a nerd and talking shit. Also as an aside I'd love to meet an Elvish bricklayer.
Yes, looks very Elvish to me...but I suppose Numenorean might look similar.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Is that the city where Frodo sails at the end ? You can see trees of Valinor in the background.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I think that is the trees ... which is certainly not second age. Valimar itself maybe in a flashback?
There's definitely a river flowing nearby, perhaps it's the same river Galadriel sings in Elves beyond the Sea... I truly hate these teasers so much.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The city was built on the great Plain of Valinor beyond the shield of the Pelóri, gated with great golden gates. It had gold domes, and streets paved with silver. Before the city's western gate lay the mound of Ezellohar, on which stood the Two Trees, and Máhanaxar, the Ring of Doom, were outside Valmar and between the city and the Trees. Valmar is generally considered the capital of Valinor, as it was there that the Valar congregated.

After being released from prison, Melkor lived here for a time as he could not leave the city due to the Valar's mistrust of him.
The image has golden domes, it's got the two trees in the background too.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yes, Valimar is a good shout I think. Suggests that the scope is greater than just the second age.
Or they're going to do a prologue scene like they did in Fellowship? Have Cate Blanchett narrating to get all the fans onboard immediately? Give the audience a quick summary (haha) of the key points of the end of 1st Age before throwing us in the deep end. Doing this would require some footage of Valimar for obvious reasons.

Liking the detail of the swan boats in the water.

Fingeredmouse

Or they're going to do a prologue scene like they did in Fellowship? Have Cate Blanchett narrating to get all the fans onboard immediately? Give the audience a quick summary (haha) of the key points of the end of 1st Age before throwing us in the deep end. Doing this would require some footage of Valimar for obvious reasons.

Liking the detail of the swan boats in the water.
Yes, that'd make sense.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Is this outside of Tolkien now ?
Tolkien wrote basically a large encyclopedia of Middle Earths history. With key characters and moments through the years, some stories fleshed out, some simply a one line sentence. The point being that the show has a very clear path throughout, the difference being that they have very little dialogue to work with. Lord of the Rings for example, is based on the very end of the 3rd Age, a few years. Whereas the history Tolkien wrote is literally thousands of years worth. This show focuses on the 2nd Age, when and where we don't know.

They'll have a clear structure for the story, knowing where they need to reach and the hoops they need to jump through to get there. They just need to add more characters and dialogue. It's a very epic storyline though, I honestly didn't think we'd ever see it on film, be that a tv show or movie. Seems fairly impossible given the sheer scope and scale, presumably why Amazon has thrown so much money at it.

Fingeredmouse

Tolkien wrote basically a large encyclopedia of Middle Earths history. With key characters and moments through the years, some stories fleshed out, some simply a one line sentence. The point being that the show has a very clear path throughout, the difference being that they have very little dialogue to work with. Lord of the Rings for example, is based on the very end of the 3rd Age, a few years. Whereas the history Tolkien wrote is literally thousands of years worth. This show focuses on the 2nd Age, when and where we don't know.

They'll have a clear structure for the story, knowing where they need to reach and the hoops they need to jump through to get there. They just need to add more characters and dialogue. It's a very epic storyline though, I honestly didn't think we'd ever see it on film, be that a tv show or movie. Seems fairly impossible given the sheer scope and scale, presumably why Amazon has thrown so much money at it.
I never thought I'd see the trees of Valinor. If your prologue idea is right we might very well see Ungoliant and Melkor.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I never thought I'd see the trees of Valinor. If your prologue idea is right we might very well see Ungoliant and Melkor.
Yup, imagine we'd have to see Melkor if that theory is correct. Possibly some footage of the War of Wrath at the end of the 1st Age.

Might that be Melkor himself in that image? I can't remember if he disguised himself as an elf or not when he went to Valinor.

Fingeredmouse

Yup, imagine we'd have to see Melkor if that theory is correct. Possibly some footage of the War of Wrath at the end of the 1st Age.

Might that be Melkor himself in that image? I can't remember if he disguised himself as an elf or not when he went to Valinor.
Not that I recall but he could take any shape he wanted I suppose. Feanor? He had dark hair

Last edited:

SoCross

So most likely it will be Morgoth who’s the main villain ?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
With LOTR being my favorite movies of all time, I'm going to have to sign up for Amazon when this airs.

Do we know how many episodes it'll be?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Good spot whoever saw the two trees, which means it's 100% Valinor. I'm sure they've said they can't use any Silmarillion material from the FA, though, so it must be a flashback? And I don't think a Cate Blanchett voiceover is on the cards given one of the main cast members is strongly rumoured to be playing Galadriel. This year is going to break me, I want to know everything but I also want to know nothing.

Robertd0803

Which source material are they using for this so if they cant use the Silmarillion? The Appendices in LotR or something else? Need to know what I need to re-read before it airs. :houllier:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Which source material are they using for this so if they cant use the Silmarillion? The Appendices in LotR or something else? Need to know what I need to re-read before it airs. :houllier:
Tolkien Estate made the wise decision to restrict access initially, but have gradually allowed them more access as they've been impressed.

By July, Amazon had gained access to certain elements and passages from The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales due to the Tolkien Estate being happy with the development of the series so far.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
From the little i've read. The main structure of the show has come from the appendices in the LOTR books, but the Amazon writers I guess have asked permission for bits from Simarillion and Unfinished Tales to aid them in the storytelling process of those storylines. The writers are not allowed to deviate from whats written in the books, but are allowed to add fluff to help flesh it out.

So I guess you need to find chapters/passages in Simarillion and Unfinished Tales that relate to the 2nd Age, as that's what we'll be getting. Although personally, the events in the 1st Age and 2nd Age are closely connected anyway, so its best to just go for it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
From the little i've read. The main structure of the show has come from the appendices in the LOTR books, but the Amazon writers I guess have asked permission for bits from Simarillion and Unfinished Tales to aid them in the storytelling process of those storylines. The writers are not allowed to deviate from whats written in the books, but are allowed to add fluff to help flesh it out.

So I guess you need to find chapters/passages in Simarillion and Unfinished Tales that relate to the 2nd Age, as that's what we'll be getting. Although personally, the events in the 1st Age and 2nd Age are closely connected anyway, so its best to just go for it.
Didn’t they only get the rights to a specific part of the writings? I remember it was strictly limited somehow or another, thought it was just the 2nd age.

edit: It appears they gained access to some stuff from the two writings you listed above due to the Tolkien Estate being happy with how it was developing.

Chairman Steve

This show has Robert Aramayo in it, who played a convincing young version of Sean Bean/Ned Stark in GoT. What’s the likelihood he’s a young Boromir or something? (or an ancestor/descendent)

Fingeredmouse

This show has Robert Aramayo in it, who played a convincing young version of Sean Bean/Ned Stark in GoT. What’s the likelihood he’s a young Boromir or something? (or an ancestor/descendent)
If we're primarily focused on the 2nd age a very distant ancestor is the only real possibility but who knows?