Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performance Thread

Van Gaal: The verdict

• 1) Sack him now.

• 2) Sack him at the end of the season.

• 3) Let him see out his contract and part ways after that.

• 4) Extend his contract.

• Undecided (between 1 and 2).

• Undecided (between 2 and 3).

• Undecided (between 3 and 4, if things improve before his contract expires, extend).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I've been his biggest supporter but if Ancelotti or Pep is available in the summer, we could do well to move on. Did his job stabilizing the club after the Moyes nightmare but clearly the team's reached its ceiling under his guidance.
That's most likely wrong.

Sleep it off lads. The drama is getting a bit over the top.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
We're having hiccups here and there but are clearly better than last year. We do need an established world class attacker this winter or next summer. Once that happens we will be hard to beat.
We're already hard to beat, we're just as hard to lose against to though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
6th game this season where we have failed to score, and it's only November. That's dreadful really. He gets results but his tactics are one that if we don't score an early goal, then the game becomes very frustrating and the players abandon the game plan after an hour and just start hoofing or passing backwards. Even if we're playing well though, his tactics are just really boring. I appreciate he does a lot of good to rebuild a side, but I think we're past the point of needing his philosophy and all that, we could do much better given a bit of freedom to the attacking players. United has become the most boring team in the league to watch. If he doesn't get a good result against Wolfsburg then it could well be time for a change in manager and trying to bring in Ancelotti maybe. With Van Gaal, sure, we can win trophies, but we'll never be good to watch. Every win will be at walking pace on the pitch, low scoring, grinding out results. It's just the way he plays. Maybe that's enough at some clubs, but it really isn't at United.

The White Pele

One of my biggest grievances with LVG is that if things aren't going well on the pitch, he does very little, outside of substitutions, to try and influence it. I'm sure he could see from the dugout what we were doing wrong in that last half an hour and will probably discuss it with the players after the match but he needs to do more while there is still time to salvage the result.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Still firmly behind him. I still think we're on the way to something potentially very good, and it would be a waste to sack him now and start all over again.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We're having hiccups here and there but are clearly better than last year. We do need an established world class attacker this winter or next summer. Once that happens we will be hard to beat.
4 losses in 22 games. We're already hard to beat.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

I wrote exactly this a month ago. We are in the 'pre Cantona' phase.

Still does not make this tumescent football any easier to watch.

acnumber9

Giggs and Scholes, I say. Managerial dream team. Phil Neville first team coach.
Sounds good. It certainly can't get more boring. Van Gaal lays such great foundations even you could manage them afterwards.

acnumber9

We are near the top of the league because we deserve to be there. All of the top teams have major issues, not just United.
I wouldn't place too much stock in a league table that Leicester currently top. The cream will rise. We will fester.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I've been his biggest supporter but if Ancelotti or Pep is available in the summer, we could do well to move on. Did his job stabilizing the club after the Moyes nightmare but clearly the team's reached its ceiling under his guidance.
What??? Utter nonsense.

LVG has taken the team through the gears in a very short 18 months. In the grand scheme of things, everything is going very well.

2 more well executed transfer windows and we'll have an elite side playing irresistible football. Im convinced of it.

Patience.

Empire

If you don't take a risk you won't lose the ball, that's his defensive paradigm. Ofcourse there are clubs that can manage both and deliver a proper performance but this lot ain't one of them. I'm unsure how much of that could be attributed to the manager alone.
We lost the ball quite a bit today and got countered by PSV, did you not see all the cross field passes we tried to make? Martial kept running straight at the defender trying to take him on and getting tackled, Depay kept cutting inside and getting tackled, when Young came on he tried to take the defender on and got tackled, it just wasn't working for us but let's not act as though the players were instructed not to try.

Martial had a poor performance today, Depay too, Lingard wasn't great, Schweinsteiger struggled, Schneiderlin in the second half too, when that happens it's no surprise the attack isn't doing well.

In that team that started, 5 players are new to the premier league and 1 new to the club, that's 6 players still adjusting in our starting 11. This isn't our ceiling, far from it, there is a lot of room for improvement.

saivet

This would be the worst thing to do:
Getting knocked out at the group stage, finishing 3rd/4th in the league, no cup trophys BUT going with van Gaal for another season while missing out on Ancelotti and Pep in the summer. Would pretty much kill me inside.
We'd surely sack him for that!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
What??? Utter nonsense.

LVG has taken the team through the gears in a very short 18 months. In the grand scheme of things, everything is going very well.

2 more well executed transfer windows and we'll have an elite side playing irresistible football. Im convinced of it.

Patience.
We lost the ball quite a bit today and got countered by PSV, did you not see all the cross field passes we tried to make? Martial kept running straight at the defender trying to take him on and getting tackled, Depay kept cutting inside and getting tackled, when Young came on he tried to take the defender on and got tackled, it just wasn't working for us but let's not act as though the players were instructed not to try.

Martial had a poor performance today, Depay too, Lingard wasn't great, Schweinsteiger struggled, Schneiderlin in the second half too, when that happens it's no surprise the attack isn't doing well.

In that team that started, 5 players are new to the premier league and 1 new to the club, that's 6 players still adjusting in our starting 11. This isn't our ceiling, far from it, there is a lot of room for improvement.
Can you honestly say we've been playing better football now than the period last year when we beat Spurs, Liverpool and City on a run? I don't think so and if anything we've gone backwards with better players. I can't make the difference if we are sputtering before sparking to life later this season or if we are flattering to deceive on a few regular occasions.

Anyways not making it out of the group stage would be rather inexcusable both on revenue and footballing fronts.

bleedred

What??? Utter nonsense.

Patience.
Moyes managed to get us out of group stage with ease, with a team some would consider very inferior.

Bwuk

For the money we've spent, some of the players weve had available to him since he came it's just not good enough.

We are predictable and easy to play against.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Can you honestly say we've been playing better football now than the period last year when we beat Spurs, Liverpool and City on a run? I don't think so and if anything we've gone backwards with better players. I can't make the difference if we are sputtering before sparking to life later this season or if we are flattering to deceive on a few regular occasions.

Anyways not making it out of the group stage would be rather inexcusable both on revenue and footballing fronts.
agreed 100%. Especially with a relatively easy group. Lets see what happens in Wolsberg,

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I feel like the most depressing thing about his tenure at the moment is that even when we are winning, we just don't look like a team that can score a lot of goals. Seeing us manage to score two at the weekend felt weirdly refreshing. Unless we actually do go on to win the title, I'll struggle to particularly enjoy the style of football at all.

Empire

When you have 6 out of your starting 11 new then it's not surprising that it takes time for them to adjust, this is normal, and them having off games is normal too. When these players develop a better understanding and are more adapted to their new situations then it's logical to expect them to perform more consistently so I do think things will get better.

I wasn't happy about tonight especially since it was the team I predicted would be our best but it just wasn't happening for them. It's saying something when Rooney looked like our best attacking player (Schneiderlin was fine first half but poor second).

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Unfortunately I even agree with Owen. I don't even think the defense is sorted. It's sorted in the sense that we are completely unambitious, have the best keeper in the world & a defender at the top of his game.

Empire

Sorry, but I can't wait until this guy is sacked! To play so defensively, at home, against PS fecking V Eindhoven is pathetic. We owed them a thumping for Luke Shaw and we let him down badly!

Every word Savage said tonight grated on my soul but mostly because the majority of what he said was true.

Slow, aimless play
2 holding midfielders … really necc. Louie? … for PSV?
No-one really "properly" pressing (like they mean it)
NO ONE TAKING THE MAN IN FRONT OF HIM ON
just pass sideways, pass back, pass sideways, pass back with no momentum or intelligent movement off the ball

And the worst … Rooney and Young ending up at LB & RB while Fellaini is stuck up front having a mare

Can't wait to see the back of LvG I don't care even if we win the league this season it won't be because he's "won" it for us, if it happens it'll only be because everyone else lost it!
You sound like you wouldn't celebrate if we won the championship, in fact you'd be a little disappointed, and that's sad to see.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Unfortunately I even agree with Owen. I don't even think the defense is sorted. It's sorted in the sense that we are completely unambitious, have the best keeper in the world & a defender at the top of his game.
We're fine defensively. Full-back areas are arguably still a bit problematic, especially with our best one by a mile injured, but I don't see why having a great keeper and defender is somehow a bad thing; as long as they continue to perform, they're great defensive players to have.

Our defence was actually strangely creative at times tonight. Blind's long balls were brilliant, while Smalling even managed to occasional burst. The two centre-backs were by far our best performers tonight.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
We're fine defensively. Full-back areas are arguably still a bit problematic, especially with our best one by a mile injured, but I don't see why having a great keeper and defender is somehow a bad thing; as long as they continue to perform, they're great defensive players to have.

Our defence was actually strangely creative at times tonight. Blind's long balls were brilliant, while Smalling even managed to occasional burst. The two centre-backs were by far our best performers tonight.
I just don't think it's 'sorted'. It's not sorted if for it to be good we have to be shit going forward (which I think is a big part of it), and it's not sorted if one injury could ruin it all (like Kompany & City).

It's great that we can create some fantastic chances through Blind carrying the ball out, but a negative when it seems to be one of our biggest threat.

Empire

Not surprising when you consider five of the six in front of them are still adjusting to either the league or the club, and the other one is current Rooney. Inevitably poor Individual performances are going to happen, there will be inconsistency, it's just too bad it wasn't happening for so many of our attacking players tonight, I hope they bounce back against Leicester with a much better game.

I'm still optimistic the performances will get better as the players better adjust to each other.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I just don't think it's 'sorted'. It's not sorted if for it to be good we have to be shit going forward (which I think is a big part of it), and it's not sorted if one injury could ruin it all (like Kompany & City).

It's great that we can create some fantastic chances through Blind carrying the ball out, but a negative when it seems to be one of our biggest threat.
It's not completely sorted and could still do with improvements to up it to a certain world class level, but I don't agree that to be good defensively at the moment we have to be shit going forward. Think that's off the mark.

Blind provided a threat in an attacking sense, but him and Smalling also defended very well.

Sylar

Hes his own worst enemy, We ended up with:

Young at RB, Blind at CB, Rooney in CM, Martial on the left, Fellaini up top. Thats a lot of players out of position in desperation mode.

If we dont beat Wolfsburg, thats a huge question mark against him.

Trizy

For the money spent we've a pretty average squad to be fair and even some of the good players don't suit this system.

To be fair if you were to make a brilliant squad here you'd only be keeping the likes of Mata, Schwein, Shaw, De Gea, Smalling, Herrera, Martial and even at that not all of them would make the XI.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

At best LvG's 4-2-4 formation/system is effective, but not exactly exciting. You can have streaks where everything goes to plan, but when you draw/lose you sit back frustrated at how boring and uncreative the team we're.

In his system you need alot of individual skills from the wingers to make something happen, unfortunately we don't really have that bar Martial who can do it and he is a 19year old, we cannot rely on him to do it every match.

Also lack of a clinical player is hurting us, someone who will be at the right place at right time and slot it in one after another.

The squad lacks firepower, this isn't the Mighty Man United, it's a crippled version who is finding it's feet again after a really bad year.

Still believe Louis is the right man for now, not sure if he will ever be successful here, but i'm quite sure the squad he leaves behind will be worthy of Man Utd.

Will Absolute

Defensively he is fine, it's the attack he needs to sort out. He had today Lingard, Martial, Depay, Rooney, three of those are still adapting to their new roles. I think it's a little early to be concluding this attack is the best it's going to be especially considering his history.
His history is in the past. He's now 64 years old, and has Utd playing like a team of 64 year olds.

Fergie, too, got more cautious as he got older, but Van Gaal has a head start in the 'too much excitement is bad for you' approach.

Empire

His history is in the past. He's now 64 years old, and has Utd playing like a team of 64 year olds.

Fergie, too, got more cautious as he got older, but Van Gaal has a head start in the 'too much excitement is bad for you' approach.
To me it seems as though he is doing the sensible thing and building from the back. When you have two central midfielders who are adjusting to the team and 3 of your attacking four too, the ages of which are 19, 21, 22 and then the other player is Rooney trying to find form, it's sensible keeping things tight at the back until the attacking players start showing signs of consistency, signs that they have adapted to the club and their new team mates and have a reasonable understanding with each other.

I could be wrong and Louis van Gaal past it however even Ferguson said at the start of the season he expects the new signings to require time before they start to perform consistently. I'm pretty sure that's normal, our defence today had four out of 5 who have been at this club from at least last season so it's no surprise they are performing how we expect them to, the attack should get to that level though.

Question234

Not much use 'rescuing' us and getting us back into the Champions League only to be pretty close to getting us knocked out in the group stage. I've crossed the line from hating his style of football to actively wanting him gone now. I don't know how anyone can watch us and claim that is anywhere net good enough. He cleared out the deadwood they tell us. Have a look at what's out on that pitch. It's grim. Time to clear out his own deadwood.
It's fine to want the manager gone but we don't need to change or get rid of the squad. That will only weaken us.

This is why people find it hard to take you seriously.

acnumber9

It's fine to want the manager gone but we don't need to change or get rid of the squad. That will only weaken us.

This is why people find it hard to take you seriously.
We don't need to change the squad at all? People talk about him doing a great job in clearing players out but then he's replacing them with players like Depay and Rojo or not replacing them at all. He's got one keeper siting in the stands earning a wage for nothing. And he's already got rid of two he signed last season. Darmian struggles to get a game ahead of Ashley Young at right back. Let's look at his signings and ask who have been the successes. Herrera who he barely plays and was likely to be signed regardless. Shaw who was also nailed on to sign. Martial looks a player and credit to him for bringing him in. The jury is out on Schweinsteiger and Schneidrlin. It's not exactly a balanced midfield we have there. Depay has been shite. Rojo is terrible. I almost forgot about that farcical Romero signing.

acnumber9

It certainly wouldn't be boring for our rivals. A comfy seat at the circus for them.
Love that crystal ball of yours. I don't exactly see our rivals worrying about us currently. The teams we play certainly don't.