Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performance Thread

Van Gaal: The verdict

• 1) Sack him now.

• 2) Sack him at the end of the season.

• 3) Let him see out his contract and part ways after that.

• 4) Extend his contract.

• Undecided (between 1 and 2).

• Undecided (between 2 and 3).

• Undecided (between 3 and 4, if things improve before his contract expires, extend).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Question234

We don't need to change the squad at all? People talk about him doing a great job in clearing players out but then he's replacing them with players like Depay and Rojo or not replacing them at all. He's got one keeper siting in the stands earning a wage for nothing. And he's already got rid of two he signed last season. Darmian struggles to get a game ahead of Ashley Young at right back. Let's look at his signings and ask who have been the successes. Herrera who he barely plays and was likely to be signed regardless. Shaw who was also nailed on to sign. Martial looks a player and credit to him for bringing him in. The jury is out on Schweinsteiger and Schneidrlin. It's not exactly a balanced midfield we have there. Depay has been shite. Rojo is terrible. I almost forgot about that farcical Romero signing.
You're kneejerking hard.

all we need is a WC striker and a winger. We have a great squad, the football is sometimes shite and that's down to the manager but lets not shit all over the team based on one performance, we have seen what this team can do when it clicks. We have a great squad we are just lacking the finishing touches.

If you think otherwise then you're insane.

Bojan11

Unfortunately I even agree with Owen. I don't even think the defense is sorted. It's sorted in the sense that we are completely unambitious, have the best keeper in the world & a defender at the top of his game.
The defence is better because we have two cdms every game protecting it.

SalfordRed1960

Still firmly behind him. I still think we're on the way to something potentially very good, and it would be a waste to sack him now and start all over again.
I am with you. What I saw in the first 20 mins tonight gave me further belief.
But as usual with this squad we need all 11 to be on top of their game. Unfortunately Depay wasn't at the races.

acnumber9

You're kneejerking hard.

all we need is a WC striker and a winger. We have a great squad, the football is sometimes shite and that's down to the manager but lets not shit all over the team based on one performance, we have seen what this team can do when it clicks. We have a great squad we are just lacking the finishing touches.

You can't say this squad only needs two players to be great and then question somebody else's sanity. You're dreaming.

Question234

You can't say this squad only needs two players to be great and then question somebody else's sanity. You're dreaming.
We're second in the league ? We can't be that bad ? Again today sucked, sh*t on LVG all you want but we've got a squad lacking a finishing touches, it would be foolish to sell them we should only look to bring in talent.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
In about a month we'll play a decent game and everyone will say LVG's tactics are starting to click. And round and round we go.

I'm just not convinced. Mainly because we know we can play better. We don't need to wait for another few players for this, or to carry on only ever passing while we learn some philosophy. We can play better now....but we aren't.

khoazany

It's pretty much evident that he's a great team builder but a terrible tactician at the same time, despite all his claim about "philosophy".

acnumber9

We're second in the league ? We can't be that bad ? Again today sucked, sh*t on LVG all you want but we've got a squad lacking a finishing touches, it would be foolish to sell them we should only look to bring in talent.
Leicester are top of the league. I wouldn't hold it up as a sign of how good we are. I'm not suggesting we sell every player but clearly there are players who could go and not be missed at all.

Kag

Love that crystal ball of yours. I don't exactly see our rivals worrying about us currently. The teams we play certainly don't.
Opposition managers have a lot more respect for this United side than you do, that's for certain.

We're a good team making good progress, and our rivals are aware of that.

acnumber9

Opposition managers have a lot more respect for this United side than you do, that's for certain.

They look terrified when they play us. I'm sure our Europa League opponents will be shaking in their boots. I just hope we don't draw Anderlecht.

Kag

They look terrified when they play us. I'm sure our Europa League opponents will be shaking in their boots. I just hope we don't draw Anderlecht.
We're not in the Europa League. On Saturday, we may very well be top of the league. Not terrifying, but impressive all the same.

mu77

i don't think they do TBH. i think they know we'll get frustrated maybe change the team (see LVG's subs) and still struggle. they know they can shut shop and get a point.

acnumber9

We're not in the Europa League. On Saturday, we may very well be top of the league. Not terrifying, but impressive all the same.
Or come the start of next week we could be fourth. There's nothing impressive with being second in November, knocked out of one cup already to lower league opposition for the second year in a row, on the brink of being knocked out of another and offering as much threat up front as a puppy with no teeth.

Kag

i don't think they do TBH. i think they know we'll get frustrated maybe change the team (see LVG's subs) and still struggle. they know they can shut shop and get a point.
They do. Opposition sides respect the quality of our goalkeeper and our defensive organisation. They know we win the ball back aggressively. They're aware of the fact we keep the ball better than more or less all of them, and they plan to beat us around that, usually on the counter attack. It's a good tactic, and we do struggle to break sides down.

A little while ago we had teams like West Brom coming to Old Trafford launching a full on assault at our goal because they were firm in their belief that they could pull our pants down.

mu77

They do. Opposition sides respect the quality of our goalkeeper and our defensive organisation. They know we win the ball back aggressively. They're aware of the fact we keep the ball better than more or less all of them, and they plan to beat us around that, usually on the counter attack. It's a good tactic, and we do struggle to break sides down.

A little while ago we had teams like West Brom coming to Old Trafford launching a full on assault at our goal because they were firm in their belief that they could pull our pants down.
respect maybe , no team fears united under LVG. he's not a great manager now. he's meh , moyes but with more power to get good players. moyes was shit as a manager and no one really wanted to come and play for him

Will Absolute

You're kneejerking hard.

Every dog has his day - Even a blind pig finds a truffle now and then - Even teams in the relegation zone register the occasional good performance.

How many great performances have we had under Van Gaal, when we ripped our opponents to shreds, and had fans jumping out of their chairs with delight at the beautiful football on display? The truth is, even our best performances haven't risen much above 'efficient'.

Kag

Or come the start of next week we could be fourth. There's nothing impressive with being second in November, knocked out of one cup already to lower league opposition for the second year in a row, on the brink of being knocked out of another and offering as much threat up front as a puppy with no teeth.
Ifs and buts. You have zero interest whatsoever in looking at anything United with a positive outlook. Being second is November is clearly impressive given where we were this time last season. That's irrefutable.

If we are sat in fourth and get knocked out of the Champions League then the wild criticism will be merited. Until then...

Question234

Every dog has his day - Even a blind pig finds a truffle now and then - Even teams in the relegation zone register the occasional good performance.

How many great performances have we had under Van Gaal, when we ripped our opponents to shreds, and had fans jumping out of their chairs with delight at the beautiful football on display? The truth is, even our best performances haven't risen much above 'efficient'.
Are you really subscribing to his idea that this squad needs yet another clean out ?

fecking really ? I would give you a list of good performances but you'll only respond with some weird reasoning as to why we were lucky or didnt deserve to win said match.

Kag

respect maybe , no team fears united under LVG. he's not a great manager now. he's meh , moyes but with more power to get good players. moyes was shit as a manager and no one really wanted to come and play for him
Ay, Van Gaal is David Moyes.

No team is truly feared in the Premier League. All have flaws and all can be beaten.

mattsville

Europa league participation will make the rest of our Premier League campaign more difficult with our limited squad numbers, that is the most likely outcome after tonight, excuse away, prepare for more crap

mu77

Ay, Van Gaal is David Moyes.

No team is truly feared in the Premier League. All have flaws and all can be beaten.
then why does louis defend with 7 men? or does he fear all comers? it's bad football when no team wants to score.

Kag

then why does louis defend with 7 men? or does he fear all comers? it's bad football when no team wants to score.
We defend as an eleven, that's pretty obvious. We don't attack as one. The hope is that this can change. We clearly go out there to dominate games and score goals.

mu77

We defend as an eleven, that's pretty obvious. We don't attack as one. The hope is that this can change. We clearly go out there to dominate games and score goals.
then LVG has failed. boringly so.

ZDwyr

Uselessly boring. We will never win anything with him.
Considering the quality of the PL we could win it I think. But yeah, more down to the lack of quality in the league than Van Gaal's quality as a manager.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It is not changing, you can see that by how our players position themselves when we are in possession. No one try to create angles for the passers and the passers have absolutely no intention to play a pass when opponents are between them and their teammates.
People can use the excuse of the new team all they want that's the first things that you work on and we haven't, if we haven't in late November of the second season we never will.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
I won't survive another season of this boring football. He has to make some signings for the attack and get rid of Rooney or the manager has to go. If we go out against Wolfsburg, questions have to be asked.

We have the highest-paid players on the planet, and just compare them to those at the actual top clubs, Barcelona, Bayern, and Madrid. Please somebody explain to me what on earth is going on at our club.

mu77

Keep telling myself what? Or are you suggesting that we don't try to dominate the ball? Or that we don't want to score goals? Because we obviously do, even if it doesn't always work as we would like it.

hardly works = watford 1-2 on an OG FFS - loads of 0-0's at home and pretty dull. he's out managed himself in matches. took on an unbalanced squad and after 200m quid it's still unbalanced. fraud comes to mind.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There's just not enough urgency in passing, play slows down and allows the opposition plenty of time to regroup. Then we are witnessing chess played out on a football pitch. I hate chess.

Ironically smalling was the only 1 putting a bit if zip in his passes

Kag

Doesn't that apply to every team, ever?
Of course not. Some sides, like Leicester incidentally, play a completely different way. They have no real interest in dominating the ball and controlling the match like we do. Nor should they, as what they do right now is working for them.

The crux of my point is to refute the silly insinuation that we're some kind of defensive side that doesn't actively seek to win games convincingly. As if we play to nick a win with percentage long balls and an overload of set pieces. I think we're a lot more positive than that.

Jonno

There's just not enough urgency in passing, play slows down and allows the opposition plenty of time to regroup. Then we are witnessing chess played out on a football pitch. I hate chess.

Ironically smalling was the only 1 putting a bit if zip in his passes
I remember seeing Smalling make a few decent quick passes and also inject some pace into coming out of defence with the ball and thinking to myself, if our Centre Back is our best passer and quickest player on the ball, we've got problems

Kag

It is not changing, you can see that by how our players position themselves when we are in possession. No one try to create angles for the passers and the passers have absolutely no intention to play a pass when opponents are between them and their teammates.
People can use the excuse of the new team all they want that's the first things that you work on and we haven't, if we haven't in late November of the second season we never will.
I'd like more risk, I don't disagree. That said, with a couple of better players in attacking areas I think the game plan would work that bit better in an attacking sense.

Our attackers got into lots of good spaces in and around the box. Whether it be Rooney, Martial, Lingard or Memphis, they made a mess of every single opportunity.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Of course not. Some sides, like Leicester incidentally, play a completely different way. They have no real interest in dominating the ball and controlling the match like we do. Nor should they, as what they do right now is working for them.

The crux of my point is to refute the silly insinuation that we're some kind of defensive side that doesn't actively seek to win games convincingly. As if we play to nick a win with percentage long balls and an overload of set pieces. I think we're a lot more positive than that.
Didn't van gaal say that his philosophy is to retain the ball then be ready to capatilze on any errors? Think he said that start of the season.

It's not an attacking setup. Our players are good enough to blow most teams away. It can't be consistently bad luck either.

The buck stops with the manager and so far he hasn't shown any inclination to improve the attacking play