Lowest point for great players

Skills

Snitch
Steven Gerrard & the slip is the first thing that comes to mind. Liverpool's legendary skipper blew it for himself and the club, right at the end. Ended up never winning a Premier League title & left the club the season after.

John Terry joins Stevie G for the slip that changed it all. Was about to score the winning penalty as captain to lead Chelsea to their first ever Champions League final. The slip cost him that moment, and when Chelsea did finally win one a few years later he wasn't available to play.

Messi - probably the penalty miss in the Copa America final against Chile. Ultimately it was Biglia's miss that was decisive in the shoot out, but it was profound enough for Messi to announce his retirement from international football (though he did rescind that decision).

Schweinsteiger - missing the final penalty in the 2012 Champions League final. Missed the ultimately losing penalty in his home champions league final at the Allianz Arena.

Schneckerl

Maybe Maradona's last game for Barcelona
Brazilian Ronaldo WC98 final

PoTMS

Rooney disasterclass v Swansea.
Torres missing open goal v United.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Ronaldo missing a penalty in the 2012 shootout against Bayern
A honorable mention to his miss in 2008 - but doesn't really go down as a low point, as he was bailed out by Terry and Anelka.

For Messi, his miss against Chelsea in 2012 is surely up there.

Zidane's sending off in the 2006 WC final

the chameleon

Waddle and Pearce - the misses at Italia 90.

Gascoigne - too many, injury vs Nottingham Forest

Shearer - though he denies it in public, it has to be rejecting us and signing for his beloved Newcastle - talk about bitter sweet

Van Persie - Fergie's retirement

Giggs - getting caught with his brother's missus

Ronaldo - wink gate and the rape accusations

Man Utd team after Fergie retired - getting Moyes as their new boss and banning the supply of chips in the canteen

Kanchelskis - Taribo West breaking his legs

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Not necessarily a great player, but Assamoah Gyan's penalty miss in the 120th minute against Uruguay in the 2010 WC is what he will mostly be remembered for.

Cech costing Czech Republic a place in the 2008 Euros knock-outs by letting a simple cross slip from his grasp, allowing Turkey to come from 2:0 behind to win 3:2.

Predrag Mijatovic hitting the bar against the Netherlands in the 1998 World Cup.

The same World Cup, Beckham's sending off against Argentina.

The same World Cup, Zubizaretta having a horror game against Nigeria, allowing them to claim a win that eventually lead to Spain failing to make it out of their group.

Lampard failing to score in the 2006 World Cup quarter final against Portugal.

Neville's final game, I think it was away to WBA. He was abysmal, booked at half-time and should have seen red. Was taken off at half-time and never played again, he admitted himself a few years afterwards that it was the moment when he knew he was done.

Modric badly missing a penalty in Croatia's shootout vs Portugal in Euro 2008.

Suarez - plenty to choose from, but the bite on Chiellini in 2014 is probably his low point, as it gained worldwide attention, having been in a World Cup, and having cemented his reputation as an unstable individual, to put it that way.

Brazillian Ronaldo - A 4:2 defeat at Lazio in his final game with Inter, when a win would have brought them their first Scudetto in years.

Chairman Steve

David Seaman - Getting embarrassed by Ronaldinho in World Cup 2002.

Rino Gattuso - Trying to fight Joe Jordan

Andriy Shevchenko - Entire tenure at Chelsea

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
You are right of course. Has he spoken much about it retrospectively? Would be interesting to hear how he feels about it.
Yes, the official story, which both him and Materazzi agree on now, is that Zidane responded to Materazzi's shirt pulling by telling him he wanted his shirt and Materazzi replied by saying that he would have preferred his sister's, which resulted in the headbutt.

This seems far too tame for me to cause the headbutt. An English outlet, I am not sure which one but am positive that it was not a tabloid, hired a lip-reader that did not know Italian shortly after the game. What the lip-reader gathered sounds far more likely to have caused the reaction, but I will not write it here, as I already have a warning.

If you are interested to hear what they claim was said, you can PM me :)

For what it's worth, Materazzi even sued the paper in question for libel and won. However, the official version still sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Peter Shilton - Poland World Cup qualifying decider. Goal that cost England qualification.

the chameleon

Not necessarily a great player, but Assamoah Gyan's penalty miss in the 120th minute against Uruguay in the 2010 WC is what he will mostly be remembered for.

Cech costing Czech Republic a place in the 2008 Euros knock-outs by letting a simple cross slip from his grasp, allowing Turkey to come from 2:0 behind to win 3:2.

Predrag Mijatovic hitting the bar against the Netherlands in the 1998 World Cup.

The same World Cup, Beckham's sending off against Argentina.

The same World Cup, Zubizaretta having a horror game against Nigeria, allowing them to claim a win that eventually lead to Spain failing to make it out of their group.

Lampard failing to score in the 2006 World Cup quarter final against Portugal.

Neville's final game, I think it was away to WBA. He was abysmal, booked at half-time and should have seen red. Was taken off at half-time and never played again, he admitted himself a few years afterwards that it was the moment when he knew he was done.

Modric badly missing a penalty in Croatia's shootout vs Portugal in Euro 2008.

Suarez - plenty to choose from, but the bite on Chiellini in 2014 is probably his low point, as it gained worldwide attention, having been in a World Cup, and having cemented his reputation as an unstable individual, to put it that way.

Brazillian Ronaldo - A 4:2 defeat at Lazio in his final game with Inter, when a win would have brought them their first Scudetto in years.

Surely the moments leading up to the 1998 WC final in Paris would be darker, no?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Considering the overall career he had, Michael Owen being a prominent part of a team relegated from premier league.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Surely the moments leading up to the 1998 WC final in Paris would be darker, no?
I am not sure that injuries and/or illnesses count in this thread. If they do, my lowest point for him would not even be whatever happened prior to that final (given that he eventually did win the WC), but rather the initial injury he suffered that prevented him from fully fulfilling his promise.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Southgates penalty miss hasn't got a mention yet.

Smalling getting 2 yellows in seconds against City.

Cantonas Kung Fu kick at Palace.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Lineker shitting himself.

Michael Owen and that brochure.

Nevillas last game.

Moriarty

Denis Law's goal against us for City.
Peter Bonetti letting West Germany's winner past him.
Alex Stepney getting beaten by Pat Jennings.
Joe Corrigan getting his own goal kick smashed past him.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Ramos literally throwing his gob at Diego Costa, although it is Diego Costa we’re talking about, so not a definite low point.

Robben one on one miss vs Casillas in the WC final.

Rooney flirting with City

Roy Keane’s own goal vs Madrid, and getting bossed by Redondo.

Ballack in 2002 finished second in the league, lost the WC final and the german cup final all in the space of 2 months.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Scholes and Keane - bookings in the semifinal meant they missed the Champions League 99 Final.

Ronaldo - injury in the Euro 2016 final. Portugal still won but to get injured a few minutes into the game must have felt horrible.

Gerrard - Last season at Liverpool
- Benched for the Madrid game.
- Sent off in his last Pool-Utd game.
- Lost to Palace in his final game at Anfield.
- Lost 6-1 to Stoke in his final game.

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Subotic getting into Robben's face after missing the penalty in the German Cup final has to be Robben's lowest point

paulscholes18

Higuain, missed 1:1 in World Cup final, Missed a penalty for Napoli which meant that they didn’t qualify for the Champions League, missed a sitter in Copa America cup final

manutddjw

Rivaldo’s pathetic face clutching in the World Cup. He was a phenomenal player, one of the worlds best but when people think of Rivaldo that’s the first thing that comes to mind. That one thing tarnished his legacy. That and playing until he was 91 years old.

Mr Smith

Rooney's has to be South Africa 2010. I know he had worse performances later in his career, but I'm prepared to put that down to advanced ageing. In 2010 he'd just come off his best season and there was no excuse.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
Subotic getting into Robben's face after missing the penalty in the German Cup final has to be Robben's lowest point
I'm not certain but I think that was in the decisive league game at the Westfalenstadion in 2012?

Robben got his revenge a year later when Subotic was left on the floor as Robben skipped past him to slot the winner in the Champions League final.