LSC: Blackburn Rovers vs. Manchester United

FromTheBench

Tom Thorpe injured now.

Doesn't look good. :(

Injury itis striking defenders at this level too.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Perhaps Van Gaal will finally give him a chance now that he's proven his injury proneness.

lysglimt

Scout
It's hard to compare - but this could possibly be the best U21 performance I have seen by United for many, many years

LR7

Pearson was everywhere and involved in lots of our best play. Some typically 'Pearson-esque' challenges and some good link up play in and around the box - at least one assist too. Every week I hope he's included in a first team match day squad.

Good minutes for Evans, Herrera and Januzaj. We will need them all with the games coming thick and fast. Janko did well also.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Pearson was everywhere and involved in lots of our best play. Some typically 'Pearson-esque' challenges and some good link up play in and around the box - at least one assist too. Every week I hope he's included in a first team match day squad.

Good minutes for Evans, Herrera and Januzaj. We will need them all with the games coming thick and fast. Janko did well also.
You cover your eyes when Pearson goes in for a challenge.:lol:

Sparky Rhiwabon

Has Vermijl ever looked out of place at this level? Everytime I see him it's a solid 7/10 performance.

But nowhere near the first team, despite huge issues at FB. Very odd.
Being a consistent 7/10 in the Reserves doesn't really say "promote me to the seniors"

Brightonian

Absolutely GUTTED that I had to miss this. Just looking at that sexy, sexy line-up you knew we'd batter them. Also chuffed to hear that Pearson and Rothwell played well.

If anyone has highlights (other than the goal clips earlier in the thread, seen those) or a full match video I'd be permanently in your debt!

I really believe that Van Gaal might have come at the perfect time for our academy set-up. There've been a few very strong generations in a row and he's turned up just as we're distilling a couple of them into one insanely talented group. Januzaj, Wilson, Keane, Pearson, Rothwell, Pereira, Harrop, Thorpe, Keane, James... the list of youngsters who are talented enough to have a chance of making it with us just goes on and on.

khoazany

Tbf I think that line-up would beat Blackburn's first team let alone second team (wanted to say before the match but I worried that I might jinx them).People might remind me about the MKDons match but we were playing 4 at the back not 3-5-2 and Pearson-Herrera-Harrop (Rothwell)-Pereira is a stronger midfield (especially in terms of chemistry) than Powell-Anderson.Blackburn did have 4 first teamers last night and a couple who already debut for them.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
It was a strange formation in effect…41311 for the first 30 minutes.

Pereira mostly used as a holding player in front of back four with Herrera playing behind Will Keane. They swapped from time to time but the middle three of Harrop, Pearson and Januzaj moved up and down as a three so the shape was pretty fluid.

It changed a little when Harrop came off with the middle three swapping around quite a bit. By half time, with Blackburn not in the game, we attacked more and it looked more like a traditional 433/442/451 at different times.

Brightonian

It was a strange formation in effect…41311 for the first 30 minutes.

Pereira mostly used as a holding player in front of back four with Herrera playing behind Will Keane. They swapped from time to time but the middle three of Harrop, Pearson and Januzaj moved up and down as a three so the shape was pretty fluid.

It changed a little when Harrop came off with the middle three swapping around quite a bit. By half time, with Blackburn not in the game, we attacked more and it looked more like a traditional 433/442/451 at different times.
Would it be fair to just describe that as five central midfielders given the freedom to move around freely and share the various responsibilities?

EDIT: Just to repeat, if anyone has any decent highlights or a full match vid a PM would earn you my eternal gratitude! Terms and conditions apply. Eternal gratitude cannot be refunded in store.

Will Absolute

It's hard to compare - but this could possibly be the best U21 performance I have seen by United for many, many years
Yep. Most dominant performance by any United team I've seen in ages. Some pretty football as well. If only the first team could play with such fluidity.

I used to think Rothwell had the edge over Pearson because he had a shade more talent. But Pearson is a natural born midfielder, whereas Rothwell raises some Mata like questions over position and contribution. It'll be interesting to see where the wheel comes to rest in respect of Andreas, Pearson and himself.

Ekeke

I've rarely seen why people think Rothwell could make it, but yesterday's sub performance was really, really good. His energy made a difference, he found forward passes and he took his goals well

khoazany

I've rarely seen why people think Rothwell could make it, but yesterday's sub performance was really, really good. His energy made a difference, he found forward passes and he took his goals well
Is it just me or Rothwell looks to be better in a Di Maria sort of role than a typical no.8 role?He looks far more influential when near the final third than deeper position for me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You have to take into account that there was a senior player in net, in the back 4, our new £30m signing who was our best player after Di maria at the start of the season, and januzaj in there. They would all start for most prem teams, so they would make a big impact at that lower level.

Still though, the others were great and completely dominant in the game, in the first half at least, didn't see the second.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Did you miss just about every game from last October until the end of the season? He was consistently outstanding and hopefully Tuesday's performance signals a return to form.

Ekeke

Did you miss just about every game from last October until the end of the season? He was consistently outstanding and hopefully Tuesday's performance signals a return to form.
I caught some.

Just wasn't that impressed. Didnt do as much defensively as Pearson and didnt impress me any more on the ball making things happen

Yesterday he was very good making things happen going forward

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I caught some.

Just wasn't that impressed. Didnt do as much defensively as Pearson and didnt impress me any more on the ball making things happen

Yesterday he was very good making things happen going forward
He made a lot more happen offensively than Pearson last term, though - obviously - they played very different roles. Apart from a small handful of appearances early on, Rothwell's smarts and energy were catalytic the season throughout.

Brightonian

He made a lot more happen offensively than Pearson last term, though - obviously - they played very different roles. Apart from a small handful of appearances early on, Rothwell's smarts and energy were catalytic the season throughout.
This. Of course he does less defensively than Pearson, because Pearson is the more defensive of the pair and Rothwell the more attacking. Both were superb throughout last season. Which is why it's so fantastic to see that they both put in big performances together in this game - we really don't want to see a Pogba-esque lazy season just because they're still in the U21s.

It's their partnership which has always been the best thing about them for me. They complement each other beautifully, and have developed a really good understanding. It makes them better than the sum of their parts when they play together.

Brightonian

This YouTube channel is great for player highlights videos. From the Blackburn game:

Pearson:

Pereira:

Januzaj:

Rothwell:

Herrera:

There's one for Evans too but it's pretty dull given that Blackburn barely got the chance to put an attack together.