Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

rotherham_red

These "major" needs never end though.

We had "major needs" for a top centre back, goalscorer and right winger this summer!
I disagree. We had massive holes in the first XI last season in the DM, RW, CB areas and they were areas which have needed resolving for years, some of them for almost a decade. We got most of those sorted now, and most are at a decent age. The team is at a young age. The plan will be for them to grow together and coalesce into a unit.

Of course, we'll need to buy here and there to refresh but the core of the team is pretty well set for the foreseeable. All we'll need to do is refresh the pieces around it here and there, but the actual back breaking team building element, which is the hard part, should be done next year if those above the manager do their jobs properly.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Surely 30 million for James will mean that we will go for a midfielder?

rotherham_red

It’s mental that I’m still going to be disappointed with this window if we don’t sign a midfielder :lol:
I'd rate it at a strong 7.5, borderline 8/10

The good thing is we don't have to look too strenuously to know where our focus will be next year

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why surely?
Surely it's just as likely we're using that 30m to deal with Ronaldo's wages, fee, and Varane & Sancho outlays.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'd rate it at a strong 7.5, borderline 8/10

The good thing is we don't have to look too strenuously to know where our focus will be next year
If our focus next summer is not Haaland, I'll be very surprised. That doesn't mean I think we will sign him, but whatever happens that will dominate our focus until he has moved somewhere.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Why surely?
Surely it's just as likely we're using that 30m to deal with Ronaldo's wages, fee, and Varane & Sancho outlays.
Because it will take our net spend to under 100 million. Therefore, we should have enough for a midfielder.

Fooza

Because it will take our net spend to under 100 million. Therefore, we should have enough for a midfielder.
As much as I'd want that, I have a feeling it'll go on Ronaldo's wages

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Big day tomorrow.

Think with the James money coming in, we will make some sort of move for the midfield.

BorisManUtd

I think if Lingard was to leave for 15-20m then we'd try to get a midfielder tomorrow but it seems he's staying so don't think a DM/CM is happening for us this summer which isn't ideal but it is what it is.

abkmufc92

We are not signing anyone else, Sancho and Varane were our only targets. Ronaldo only happened because the club didn't want him to go to city.

Strats

Don't think were completely done, just not showing our intentions until tomorrow. Hopefully we can get something over the line.

Selling Lingard and bringing in a midfielder would be fantastic. Seems like the club knows that we need to invest, pretty evident after the bad performances from Matic against Southampton and Fred yesterday.

choccy77

If we fail to secure a solid DM tomorrow, this window has been wasted, despite the great signings, it's pointless without a solid spine.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think if we do decide to sign a DM, it'll be someone on loan. Someone mentioned Gueye who is at PSG in another thread as a potential stop gap signing, and I think it'll be someone like that who we'll look to sign this late in the window.

I can't see us sign any of the obvious names this late in the window and the best we can do is bring in someone on a short term loan, which likely won't go down well with a few. But I think it could prove to be a good move.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He said their show was the only place to spend tomorrow.
And that was the "Only hint" he'd give.

So there's something happening, but it'd be massively optimistic to think we're suddenly going to bring another player in after Ronaldo.
The hint was about his show with Romano

Eddy_JukeZ

A midfielder on loan with an option to buy might be what we end up doing.

Don't know which midfielder though.

Eddy_JukeZ

We need someone in. Beggars can’t be choosers.
Neves is so immobile and static. He's not that good. People who think Fred and McTominay aren't good enough will be surprised when they watch Neves week in and week out

Rather save the $$$ and go for someone who'd actually be an upgrade.

No need to make a panic signing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We need someone in. Beggars can’t be choosers.
Disagree. We need the right signing. We’ve already got numbers. Nevez will end up being moaned about in 6 months time.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Neves is so immobile and static. He's not that good. People who think Fred and McTominay aren't good enough will be surprised when they watch Neves week in and week out

Rather save the $$$ and go for someone who'd actually be an upgrade.

No need to make a panic signing.
We actually do need to make a panic signing though. We only have 3 players capable of playing in a central role. Pogba can but it’s a total waste and is also never a good idea imo.

BluesJr

Disagree. We need the right signing. We’ve already got numbers. Nevez will end up being moaned about in 6 months time.
We don’t have the numbers. To me, we have Matic (bad), Fred (decent) and McTominay (good). It’s not enough.

Sparky Rhiwabon

This is the sort of attitude that has resulted in a bloated squad full of shite in the past. Rather we get the right players in than instead of for the sake of it that end up being deadwood in a year.
Well, we’ve known since Carrick retired that we need a midfielder of that type and quality, why haven’t we got the right player?

BluesJr

This is the sort of attitude that has resulted in a bloated squad full of shite in the past. Rather we get the right players than players for the sake of it that end up being deadwood in a year.
Disagree in this situation. We absolutely need someone in who can play DM. I’d prefer a loan at this point so we don’t waste money/a place for next year onwards but if we go into the season with those options we are fecked.

FerociousCorgis

with this james deal we are just so close to a perfect window damn near. Just sell lingard (or VDB if Ole doesnt rate him as a deeper midfielder) and use the james/lingard money for a DM. Literally would be able to mount a proper title challenge then and really make some noise.

Flytan

? Who else can play cm right now besides matic and Fred? Mctominay is out, pogba doesn't play well there, and ole would rather have a colonoscopy than have dvb play

Eddy_JukeZ

We actually do need to make a panic signing though. We only have 3 players capable of playing in a central role. Pogba can but it’s a total waste and is also never a good idea imo.
Pogba can play there.

Maybe Ole starts using VDB there too.

It's 5 players.

Eddy_JukeZ

? Who else can play cm right now besides matic and Fred? Mctominay is out, pogba doesn't play well there, and ole would rather have a colonoscopy than have dvb play
Pogba not playing well at CM is now another fabled redcafe myth.

He's had plenty of good performances at CM.

Alemar

Just looked up Portugal's EURO 2020 line-ups and noticed that Neves didn't start any of the games. On that note, surely we don't go for more average players?
They also have Moutinho, although he is old

BluesJr

Pogba can play there.

Maybe Ole starts using VDB there too.

It's 5 players.
Pogba is a liability there because it’s not his game. Ole would rather die than play VDB that much is clear. We have two players in my eyes because Matic is useless as well.

Eddy_JukeZ

Pogba is a liability there because it’s not his game. Ole would rather die than play VDB that much is clear. We have two players in my eyes because Matic is useless as well.
I don't agree with Pogba being a liability there.

And I never will.