g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Luis Diaz

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ffs. Rashford was actually quality in 19/20 and had spurts in 20/21 (along with excellent productivity) that surpassed anything those guys did. Rashfords peak level that he did sustain for a while was something like Mane level. Saying Downing is ridiculous.
I don’t think Rashford at any point was close to Mane level.

He is a very similar player to welbeck wirh not as good of a peak.
Rashford, welbeck, down, young are all similar level

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
There is a reason: they mostly play in the Premier League. The vast majority of English clubs do not need to sell, so they can demand whatever price they want. It is the same with all Premier League players, though. Diaz in the Premier League would be 40 or 50million if he played for a lower club.
Basically a rich internal market inflates inflates the price of the internal transfers.

Skills

Snitch

You just don't know what you're talking about.

He is a very similar player to welbeck with not as good of a peak.
That’s plain wrong. Rashfords peak for Utd was so much better than Welbecks it’s hilarious.

Anyway, Diaz is a top player. What a winger. fecking hate those scouse cnuts.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

For me he wasn't on Mane level, but come on, he was better than any of the other players mentioned, no need to rewrite history here.

SportingCP96

Supports
For me he wasn't on Mane level, but come on, he was better than any of the other players mentioned, no need to rewrite history here.
Young was pretty decent at Villa. For a longer period of time then Rashford

Skills

Snitch
Really?

You think Rashford has been better then what welbeck did at United ??
Erm yes?

Welbeck scored 10 or more goals twice in his entire United career. He managed that illustrious total once more then at Arsenal.

This will be Rashford's first full season where he'll fail to get 10 goals.

RepardReece

Really?

Before Bruno came in Rashford carried us, to be honest. Since the 19/20 season though he's been far from a good player.

Stats really made him look better than he was in 20/21. Now the goals and assists have dried up, his performances are truly showing.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yes Young had very good performances for Villa, but Rashford was better at a higher level, come on, Wellbeck and Downing? No need to make statements like this, maybe my fault, I initiated the Grealish/Diaz analogy here, and I stand by what I said, even if Grealish next season will be better for City, no doubt about that on my mind.

SportingCP96

Supports
Erm yes?

Welbeck scored 10 or more goals twice in his entire United career. He managed that illustrious total once more then at Arsenal.

This will be Rashford's first full season where he'll fail to get 10 goals.
Yes this is true but here is my question,

do you think that has more to do with thr fact Welbeck played in peak Manchester United where his opportunities were scarce?

Let’s say Rashford played in the same United teams welbeck did, would his numbers be THAT much different?

In essence yes I guess Rashford is the modern upgraded version but is he really that far off those guys listed? They are all in the same general tier in my view

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

:lol: next level revisionism. He's shit now. Don't rewrite history. He was quality before his back injury. After it had good runs but inconsistency came in. This season has been awful. Welbeck never came close to what Rashford showed over a decent sized period.

SportingCP96

Supports
:lol: next level revisionism. He's shit now. Don't rewrite history. He was quality before his back injury. After it had good runs but inconsistency came in. This season has been awful. Welbeck never came close to what Rashford showed over a decent sized period.
Yes a bit exaggeration, but I do think he’s just a modern upgraded version. Those 4 guys are in the same general tier

IMO*

I wonder how much different his numbers would be in Ferguson United

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Really?

Obviously.

Welbeck had two seasons where he scored more than 10 goals for us, having made 36+ appearances in both. And another 40 appearance season where he scored just 2 goals.

Rashford had two seasons where he scored more than 20 goals, plus another two where he scored more than Welbeck scored in any single season of his entire career, plus another season Welbeck only bettered once in his entire career.

They're miles apart.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well, my initial point was made here, another great signing for Liverpool, really curious to see Diaz next season, he has all the ingredients there.

@SportingCP96 give it a rest man, represent well portuguese posters in the Forum without hyperbolic statements. :devil:

Skills

Snitch
Yes this is true but here is my question,

do you think that has more to do with thr fact Welbeck played in peak Manchester United where his opportunities were scarce?

Let’s say Rashford played in the same United teams welbeck did, would his numbers be THAT much different?

In essence yes I guess Rashford is the modern upgraded version but is he really that far off those guys listed? They are all in the same general tier in my view
No. Welbeck never lacked gametime. He played in a better team, just as regularly & managed to perform worse than Rashford. Even if we ignore Rashford's two seasons where he got more than 20 goals, he still outperforms Welbeck in goals+assists.

On top of that, Welbeck could never score 20 goals in a season even in his wildest of fantasies.

RedStarUnited

I hate when a thread is derailed by peoplle discussing unrelated topics (welbeck vs Rashford). Can the mods just remove the posts?

back in topic, he seems like a great fit to their team! Hit the ground running.

Reactions: Fortitude

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's pretty clear at this point that Diaz on the left wing and Mane in the centre is a better attacking combination for Liverpool than Mane LW and Jota CF - think this is because Diaz is so comfortable receiving the ball in basically any position and from any distance. For me he's the best playmaker they have in attack right now - and I think the extra element he brings is that he can receive passes from TAA on literally the opposite corner of the pitch to best utilise space.

SportingCP96

Supports
It's pretty clear at this point that Diaz on the left wing and Mane in the centre is a better attacking combination for Liverpool than Mane LW and Jota CF - think this is because Diaz is so comfortable receiving the ball in basically any position and from any distance. For me he's the best playmaker they have in attack right now - and I think the extra element he brings is that he can receive passes from TAA on literally the opposite corner of the pitch to best utilise space.
i think that will be the front 3 going forward, Jota might be relegated to the bench as

Salah, Mane, and Diaz is a much better fit.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's quite obvious he offers many more things that Jota does. No hate on Jota, but like many portuguese football fans we always said he benefits a lot on working with Klopp, Diaz is a game changer, a natural talent who can work on multiple systems. Jota? Not so much. I actually think Rafael Leão from Milan should start for Portugal instead him, but no one is prepared to discuss that here.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I agree with this. We look worse up top when Jota plays centrally and Mane is forced out wide. The latter is more suited to playing as a striker centrally now.

Diaz has been incredible. Settled so quickly and seems so naturally suited to how we play.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looks a quality signing not just because of how good he is but how perfectly he fits their style of play.

Our recruitment team take note. This is how it's done.

sangria

I hate when a thread is derailed by peoplle discussing unrelated topics (welbeck vs Rashford). Can the mods just remove the posts?

back in topic, he seems like a great fit to their team! Hit the ground running.
Well said. I hate it when posters take discussions off topic and go on about Welbeck vs Rashford in the Luis Diaz thread.

BTW, does anyone else get their Christmas cards from charity shops? Which ones are the best?

VivaRonaldo85

Interestingly the OP on him was just as Pool were signing him. Their scouts are paid to make these signings but whoever does this at that club, they are bloody outstanding at their job. To the point if Salah left this summer, they would hardly notice it now. Imagine saying that 6 months ago. We have a huge amount to learn from signings like him.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Interestingly the OP on him was just as Pool were signing him. Their scouts are paid to make these signings but whoever does this at that club, they are bloody outstanding at their job. To the point if Salah left this summer, they would hardly notice it now. Imagine saying that 6 months ago. We have a huge amount to learn from signings like him.
And we don't even remember the name of Firmino this days. Don't know if it's already confimed or not but they probably will make a cheap signing on Fabio Carvalho from Fulham, obviously a big step for him, but good potential there.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
i think that will be the front 3 going forward, Jota might be relegated to the bench as

Salah, Mane, and Diaz is a much better fit.
I agree. A lot more synergy between them generally I think and having the extra playmaker makes it much harder for teams to focus on shutting down Trent (especially as if they attempt to press TAA Diaz in space will usually be a free out ball).

It's quite obvious he offers many more things that Jota does. No hate on Jota, but like many portuguese football fans we always said he benefits a lot on working with Klopp, Diaz is a game changer, a natural talent who can work on multiple systems. Jota? Not so much. I actually think Rafael Leão from Milan should start for Portugal instead him, but no one is prepared to discuss that here.
Yeah Leão is a great shout - and personally I'd bench Ronaldo for Felix on a more or less full time basis, so Leão as an option at the far post from Cancelo / Moutinho deep crosses is enticing for me.

Yeah I agree with this. We look worse up top when Jota plays centrally and Mane is forced out wide. The latter is more suited to playing as a striker centrally now.

Diaz has been incredible. Settled so quickly and seems so naturally suited to how we play.
I was gutted when you signed him - obviously the league here in Portugal isn't at the apex of European football, but anytime you can get someone who is very very obviously the best player who was ascending the development / age curve for a reasonable fee it's a solid gamble.

Personally I think he does a lot to alleviate some of the creative burden from Salah - when Liverpool have struggled over the last few years generally I think the common denominator is Salah dropping too deep and trying to do a bit too much on the ball versus getting into finishing positions.

Sidenote - Mane deserves a huge amount of credit for adapting so quickly to the CF role - I know he played there at times but some of his creativity when dropping deep has blown me away. I also think he brings an added element of running in behind that Jota doesn't to the same extent - and with him centrally that's another dangerous element to your attack given Diaz has the quality to find him.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah Leão is a great shout - and personally I'd bench Ronaldo for Felix on a more or less full time basis, so Leão as an option at the far post from Cancelo / Moutinho deep crosses is enticing for me.
Personally think Ronaldo shouldn't start every game or play every 90 minutes, but there's nothing on the recent seasons of Felix who show to me he deserves that role. But anyway this is the Diaz topic, and if we keep discussing the names of players we like more or not this topic will be a mess.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Personally think Ronaldo shouldn't start every game or play every 90 minutes, but there's nothing on the recent seasons of Felix who show to me he deserves that role. But anyway this is the Diaz topic, and if we keep discussing the names of players we like more or not this topic will be a mess.
Yep fair points! Think in generally I'm just very frustrated with Santos and his stubbornness - his use of the squad has been deplorable ever since the Euros win (and even then he rode his luck quite a bit).

Agreed that we should keep it on topic though; this thread already seems a bit of a mess as is!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If Salah left this summer, they'd be fecked - he's scored 32 goals for them this season. Salah doesn't really get enough respect, he's putting up Ronaldo numbers every season.

Have a feeling Diaz won't be near the same level next season, he's had such a tremendous start to his liverpool career. I don't personally see him sustaining it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What a player. I think Liverpool has hit the jackpot with him. 40m is a steal.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
If Salah left this summer, they'd be fecked - he's scored 32 goals for them this season. Salah doesn't really get enough respect, he's putting up Ronaldo numbers every season.

Have a feeling Diaz won't be near the same level next season, he's had such a tremendous start to his liverpool career. I don't personally see him sustaining it.
He’s 25 and only going to get better. He’s made a great impact but he’s new to the system. It’s not like scoring goals for fun either with 3 in 10 league games which you would think should increase in the next few years. Yea I can only see him getting better and getting to a higher level in Klopps system.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He’s 25 and only going to get better. He’s made a great impact but he’s new to the system. It’s not like scoring goals for fun either with 3 in 10 league games which you would think should increase in the next few years. Yea I can only see him getting better and getting to a higher level in Klopps system.
Improvement isn't guaranteed to be linear, I think he's come into an extremely good side at a very good time. It helps he's being rotated.

I'm sure I'll be proved wrong, but I think the hyperbole around him is a bit much.

Jibbs

Rashford although was better than all those players mentioned, but he was very one dimensional player, whose core strength was his speed, once he lost that he is a championship level player.

Josh 76

Improvement isn't guaranteed to be linear, I think he's come into an extremely good side at a very good time. It helps he's being rotated.

I'm sure I'll be proved wrong, but I think the hyperbole around him is a bit much.
Teams will suss him out. I think the hype is well over the top.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
What an amazing player. I had just started rejoicing at halftime. But this little fecker had other ideas.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

As long as Klopp is their manager, they will always challenge for top trophies.