Luis Nani | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moultz

There are a few different style of wingers this season. A fair few have had a decent season.

Malouda has played well.
Milner has attracted attention from bigger clubs with his good performances this season.
Lennon was outstanding up until he got inujured.
Adam Johnson showed something different for City when he arrived in January
Valencia made the void Ronaldo left look less significant than it was
Ashley Young has had a decent season once again. Good consistency.

Moultz

Think both could improve on their deliveries but to say Wayne has nodded in so many goals this season (the little midget) it shows hes had some good crosses. Someone with some presence in the air like for example, Dzeko would be a treat with service from Nani and Valencia and they both score a fair bit too.

ciderman9000000

I think Nani and Malouda have had very similar Premier League careers thus far, it'll be interesting to see how each develop next season. It's a close call, but i'd pick Nani over Malouda if given the choice.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Malouda kept up his form for over a year so I think Nani'd have to do likewise to claim that, and I don't think that's a certainty just yet.

What Nani's done over the last couple of months isn't anything better than Lennon showed in the first half-season before his injury, I don't think.

Still, I'm not really arsed. If he keeps playing the way he is for us and never gets called the best winger in the league it won't bother me because what he's doing now is more than enough.

RedMist99

No

Let's not get carried away. He had a very good third or half season. How beautiful would it be if we had player with Nani's ability and Valencia's consistency? :drool:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No

Let's not get carried away. He had a very good third or half season. How beautiful would it be if we had player with Nani's ability and Valencia's consistency? :drool:
Valencia's one trick was progressively found out as the season wore on. He needs another one to keep opposing defenders guessing a bit. Nani, on the other hand is a bit trickier and less easy to defend. IMO, Nani is right behind Malouda as the best in the league.

Dyslexic Untied

Nani will be interesting in the next year or two though.

He has so much potential, physically and technically he can be unmatched on his day.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nani will be interesting in the next year or two though.

He has so much potential, physically and technically he can be unmatched on his day.
He's got the potential to transform himself into a less prolific version of Ronaldo. Based on the latter half of this season, he's already shown glimpses of it.

Myxomatosis

United fan? My arse. WUM masquerades
Definitely Malouda. I'd say Valencia, Lennon and Nani are about equal. We don't really have many great wingers left.

dann496

Based on last season performance alone, I don't think Nani is the best winger yet as Malouda is edging him a bit. However Nani's emergence in 2010 has been very encouraging as he keep on going from strength to strength. His confidence is growing and somehow he has been able to find consistency as well.

Now if Valencia is good in consistency wise, just imagine when Nani able to find such consistency... I will take Nani any day of the week.

twitter thread suggester
It's a bit interesting, the only wingers that really showed anything in the second part of the season were all left wingers who had been relatively quiet before the new year - Malouda, Nani and Bale. They have all been great since January and extremely productive.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's a bit interesting, the only wingers that really showed anything in the second part of the season were all left wingers who had been relatively quiet before the new year - Malouda, Nani and Bale. They have all been great since January and extremely productive.
Malouda's been great all season. That's why he's scored over twice as many goals as any of the other wingers on that list.

In the first half of the season, the outstanding wingers in the league were Malouda, Lennon, Valencia (after a month or so settling in) and (for a few glorious games) Giggs.

Since the half-way point of the season Lennon's been injured and Nani/Bale have upped their game (although Nani did it much earlier than Bale) while Valencia (arguably) and Malouda (definitely) have maintained their form from the earlier part of the season.

Park had a cracking few games at one point as well. Maybe for almost as long as Bale's current hot streak has lasted?

twitter thread suggester
Malouda's been great all season. That's why he's scored over twice as many goals as any of the other wingers on that list.

In the first half of the season, the outstanding wingers in the league were Malouda, Lennon, Valencia (after a month or so settling in) and (for a few glorious games) Giggs.
Malouda has been twice the player in the second part compared to before January. He was far from outstanding in the first part - I think you're letting Brwned's post influence you.

If you want to talk stats...

Malouda in the PL before January:
3 goals, 2 assists.

Malouda in the PL after December:
9 goals, 7 assists.

I'll let that speak for itself.

Cold_Boy

Malouda kept up his form for over a year so I think Nani'd have to do likewise to claim that, and I don't think that's a certainty just yet.

What Nani's done over the last couple of months isn't anything better than Lennon showed in the first half-season before his injury, I don't think.

Still, I'm not really arsed. If he keeps playing the way he is for us and never gets called the best winger in the league it won't bother me because what he's doing now is more than enough.
You don't really like Nani,do you?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Malouda has been twice the player in the second part compared to before January. He was far from outstanding in the first part - I think you're letting Brwned's post influence you.

If you want to talk stats...

Malouda in the PL before January:
3 goals, 2 assists.

Malouda in the PL after December:
12 goals, 7 assists.

I'll let that speak for itself.
Feck me, I didn't know Malouda was that good in the last few months. That's an incredible return for such a short space of time :eek:

Mind you, I reckon his "before January" figures are still pretty close to what Nani/Bale achieved after Christmas?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Re Malouda,

He took a while to adapt though didn't he? He signed in the Summer of 2007 for around 13million and we're seeing his best some 2 years later. Many of the Chelsea faithful questioned his signing when he scored only 2 goals with 1 assist that season.

It shows that sometimes keeping faith with talented players does reap rewards if the player is willing to learn, work and adapt to the Premiership

twitter thread suggester
Mind you, I reckon his "before January" figures are still pretty close to what Nani/Bale achieved after Christmas?
Nani has 2 goals and 8 assists since January where as Bale has 3 goals and 5 assists since January.

But that's just stats, which only tells a small part of the picture (unless the difference is as huge as it is with pre/after-January Malouda).
I have a small soft spot for Tottenham, and Bale in my opinion has been among their best players in the majority of their games since January. And as you know, that's also the case with Nani.

Malouda didn't play a whole lot before January either - I think he had about 9 starts - and I personally wasn't that impressed with him. I certainly wouldn't have classed him as outstanding before January.

So all in all, I stick by my original post :smirk:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Nani has 2 goals and 8 assists since January where as Bale has 3 goals and 5 assists since January.

But that's just stats, which only tells a small part of the picture (unless the difference is as huge as it is with pre/after-January Malouda).
I have a small soft spot for Tottenham, and Bale in my opinion has been among their best players in the majority of their games since January. And as you know, that's also the case with Nani.

Malouda didn't play a whole lot before January either - I think he had about 9 starts - and I personally wasn't that impressed with him. I certainly wouldn't have classed him as outstanding before January.

So all in all, I stick by my original post :smirk:
I don't think anyone would classify him as "oustanding" before January but I was taking exception to the implication he's only turned it on in the last few months of the season.

He's been a consistently class above both Nani and Bale, taking the season as a whole (although those goals/assists stats do seem to indicate that all three of them improved markedly after January).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think that's lost in translation (mainly down to a poor choice of words from me).

I meant "oustanding" as in the wingers who stood out from the crowd, as opposed to players whose individual form in that period was truly exceptional.

In the first half of the season it was Malouda, Lennon, Valencia and Giggs that stood out for me. I stand by that.

Marcus

Nani is the best winger in the country for United. Good thing he plays for us. :)

twitter thread suggester
In the first half of the season it was Malouda, Lennon, Valencia and Giggs that stood out for me. I stand by that.
I must say that surprises me - I don't think anyone even had him in a top 50 before January.
He started on the bench in 10 out of 19 Premier League matches before January, and of the 9 games he started, he only stayed on the pitch the entire game 4 times.

I struggle to see how he could have managed to stand out during that. To me, he was no where near Lennon, who was among the best players in the league before his injury.

But I guess that's football, different eyes and all that.

Here is his Premier League game log before January by the way - according to ESPN:

Code:
[B]TEAM			RESULT			G	A[/B]
A- Birmingham		D 0 - 0	Started		0	0
A- West Ham United	D 1 - 1	Off 45 min	0	0
H- Portsmouth		W 2 - 1	On 63		0	0
H- Everton		D 3 - 3	On 75		0	0
A- Manchester City	L 2 - 1	On 87		0	0
A- Arsenal		W 0 - 3	On 86		0	0
H- Wolverhampton	W 4 - 0	Off 69 min	1	1
H- Manchester United	W 1 - 0	Unused Sub		
A- Bolton Wanderers	W 0 - 4	Unused Sub		
H- Blackburn Rovers	W 5 - 0	Unused Sub		
A- Aston Villa		L 2 - 1	Off 84 min	0	0
H- Liverpool		W 2 - 0	On 75		1	0
A- Wigan Athletic	L 3 - 1	Off 51 min	0	1
H- Tottenham Hotspur	W 3 - 0	Started		0	0
A- Stoke City		W 1 - 2	Started		1	0
H- Burnley		W 3 - 0	Unused Sub		
A- Fulham		W 0 - 2	Started		0	0
A- Sunderland		W 1 - 3	On 75		0	0
H- Hull City		W 2 - 1	Off 68 min	0	0

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You don't really like Nani,do you?
You'll not find one United player I dislike.

By over a year I meant including the end of last season, which might confuse things. But in all comps before January he still had 4 goals and 6 assists, and that was despite being in and out of the team because of Ancelotti's initial choice of the diamond when essentially Lampard took his place in the withdrawn left-sided position.

But at the end of last season he got 5 goals and 4 assists between April and May, so while he's stepped his game up a further level in the latter half of this season I think he'd already stepped it up a level last year.

vuc

First Team Serb
You'll not find one United player I dislike.

By over a year I meant including the end of last season, which might confuse things. But in all comps before January he still had 4 goals and 6 assists, and that was despite being in and out of the team because of Ancelotti's initial choice of the diamond when essentially Lampard took his place in the withdrawn left-sided position.

But at the end of last season he got 5 goals and 4 assists between April and May, so while he's stepped his game up a further level in the latter half of this season I think he'd already stepped it up a level last year.
He did. These last few months he has been exceptional but prior to that you could see he had had improved from last year and as you said at the end of last season aswell.

Cracking player, best winger in the league definitely.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I must say that surprises me - I don't think anyone even had him in a top 50 before January.
He started on the bench in 10 out of 19 Premier League matches before January, and of the 9 games he started, he only stayed on the pitch the entire game 4 times.

I struggle to see how he could have managed to stand out during that. To me, he was no where near Lennon, who was among the best players in the league before his injury.

But I guess that's football, different eyes and all that.

Here is his Premier League game log before January by the way - according to ESPN:

Code:
[B]TEAM			RESULT			G	A[/B]
A- Birmingham		D 0 - 0	Started		0	0
A- West Ham United	D 1 - 1	Off 45 min	0	0
H- Portsmouth		W 2 - 1	On 63		0	0
H- Everton		D 3 - 3	On 75		0	0
A- Manchester City	L 2 - 1	On 87		0	0
A- Arsenal		W 0 - 3	On 86		0	0
H- Wolverhampton	W 4 - 0	Off 69 min	1	1
H- Manchester United	W 1 - 0	Unused Sub		
A- Bolton Wanderers	W 0 - 4	Unused Sub		
H- Blackburn Rovers	W 5 - 0	Unused Sub		
A- Aston Villa		L 2 - 1	Off 84 min	0	0
H- Liverpool		W 2 - 0	On 75		1	0
A- Wigan Athletic	L 3 - 1	Off 51 min	0	1
H- Tottenham Hotspur	W 3 - 0	Started		0	0
A- Stoke City		W 1 - 2	Started		1	0
H- Burnley		W 3 - 0	Unused Sub		
A- Fulham		W 0 - 2	Started		0	0
A- Sunderland		W 1 - 3	On 75		0	0
H- Hull City		W 2 - 1	Off 68 min	0	0
He started 10 games with a goal or assist every other game he started. I'd say that kind of form is enough to catch the eye. It's certainly up there with the productivity shown by Bale and Nani these last few months. As Brwned points out, his spell on the bench will have been as much down to that stupid diamond formation as much as anything else.

Anyhoo, it's all a bit moot. There's no doubt Malouda's been the best winger in the league this season. That's a sensational haul of goals since January for a wide man. Almost Ronaldoesque.

Nani has arguably put in the best individual performances I saw from a winger all season (Arsenal and Bayern) with Bale not far behind (Arsenal and Chelsea) but neither of them have been as consistently effective as Malouda, who's been a machine these last few months (understandable though, they're both yong and lernin an' all that)

twitter thread suggester
Nani has arguably put in the best individual performances I saw from a winger all season (Arsenal and Bayern) with Bale not far behind (Arsenal and Chelsea) but neither of them have been as consistently effective as Malouda, who's been a machine these last few months (yong and lernin an' all that)
Oh, I'm not arguing Bale and Nani have been better than Malouda this season, I just found it interesting that all 3 left wingers stepped up drastically in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.