Lukaku: Aguero successor

diarm

Yeah, every time he does something bad it's proof that he's a crap player, and every time he does something good it's a fluke. Even though the latter cases far outweigh the former.

He was okay today. Some incredible hold-up play where he had the Portuguese players in his pocket but too many poor touches with the ball at his feet. Wasteful in the last 20.
Thought it was a typical Lulaku performance against a good side.

He'll do something good (hold the ball up well or embark on a decent, pressure relieving run), but then undo it with a dodgy touch or some clumsy footwork.

He gets away with it in easy games and can bully his way to goals. But against proper defenders his technique just isn't good enough to hurt them.

Jev

Thought it was a typical Lulaku performance against a good side.

He'll do something good (hold the ball up well or embark on a decent, pressure relieving run), but then undo it with a dodgy touch or some clumsy footwork.

He gets away with it in easy games and can bully his way to goals. But against proper defenders his technique just isn't good enough to hurt them.
He did destroy Denmark in the second half the other day, against Mæhle, Kjær, AC and Vestergaard, which I think most people would call a pretty decent defence.

diarm

He did destroy Denmark in the second half the other day, against Mæhle, Kjær, AC and Vestergaard, which I think most people would call a pretty decent defence.
Did he? They won 2-1 and I would've said De Bruyne was the spark that won the game. He wasn't bad but I think it's a bit much to say he destroyed them.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Bad control there, but believe the poster you replied to was referring to another incident deep into stoppage time, when Belgium had a potential 2 on 1 and Lukaku perplexingly laid the ball off to a trailer on the other side rather than the runner on his right who was about to break through on goal, and put too much weight on the pass in any case.

this? Don't think they go on well with Carrasco. There was a counter 5min earlier and Carrasco ignored him aswell

arnie_ni

Had one good moment when he played that blondey haired fella in who screwed up.

Was pretty crap otherwise.

Standard Lukaku performance now the stakes are beginning to increase. A few flashes of promise here and there before he clumsily loses the ball. No shots on target, the least touches of anybody on the pitch, and lost the ball more than anybody on the pitch. The Portugal defence had him in their pocket.

He and Memphis are two peas in a pod. Neither are good enough for a top team and both seem destined to annoy us until the day they retire.

Oranges038

Standard Lukaku performance now the stakes are beginning to increase. A few flashes of promise here and there before he clumsily loses the ball. No shots on target, the least touches of anybody on the pitch, and lost the ball more than anybody on the pitch. The Portugal defence had him in their pocket.

He and Memphis are two peas in a pod. Neither are good enough for a top team and both seem destined to annoy us until the day they retire.
To be fair to Lukaku that young lad at the back Pepe was brilliant last night, he had him at every turn, outstanding performance from such a rookie defender against a real top class striker. He's got a real bright future ahead of him, might even end up at a top club like Real.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I saw a Lukaku quote where he's saying he's in the same tier as Lewandowski, Ronaldo, Suarez, etc. But performances like yesterday show exactly why he isn't. He had 2 shots in the entire game - none from inside the box. His hold-up play was decent and led to them scoring the 1st goal, and had Carrasco passed the ball, he might have had a golden opportunity as well.
However, all in all he was largely ineffective, he lost the ball a fair few times and more concerningly, his goal scoring record in big games is still pretty poor

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If Lukaku never played for United, this thread would not look like it does. Some are loathe to give him credit for anything, but watch him to pick out mistakes and are quick to post up about them whilst glossing over his positive contributions.

Disappointing, Geoff.

Ludens the Red

:lol: Was thinking this yesterday. Despite all their obvious United digs and their supporter base insisting we made a mistake getting rid. Both of them ultimately always end up showing why neither are elite players.

Stacks

I saw a Lukaku quote where he's saying he's in the same tier as Lewandowski, Ronaldo, Suarez, etc. But performances like yesterday show exactly why he isn't. He had 2 shots in the entire game - none from inside the box. His hold-up play was decent and led to them scoring the 1st goal, and had Carrasco passed the ball, he might have had a golden opportunity as well.
However, all in all he was largely ineffective, he lost the ball a fair few times and more concerningly, his goal scoring record in big games is still pretty poor
Many of the attackers you have named haven't or didn't show up at international tournaments either

Abraxas

I thought he did well. He did have some clumsy touches that soured some of his good work but I think if Belgium didn't have Lukaku or had a striker with different qualities they wouldn't have given Portugal anything to worry about at all.

He was the sole outlet with his runs, driving with the ball, his strength. Harsh to criticise him when a lot of what he did was completely off his own back and isolated. He could have picked a few better options to kill the game on the counter but it didn't completely ruin the performance for me, I've a feeling his teammates would have liked what he brought because they were totally outplayed and needed him to latch onto balls.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Many of the attackers you have named haven't or didn't show up at international tournaments either
But they have performed well in the biggest club games. He feels hard done by for not being included in that bracket, and my point is he needs to do it on the biggest stages to remove this tag that has been associated with him.

I mean look at his record - at Inter, he's scored a fair few vs Milan and a couple against napoli from open play but that's that.

For us, it was a goal vs RM, 1 vs Chelsea and couple against PSG and that was it in the bigger games (not even 1 other goal vs big 7 sides), If anything, his record at Everton was much better where he scored frequently against City, Arsenal, Pool and all

Last edited:

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Brilliant post. City should definitely snap him up. That would be amazing.

I did not read past the first sentence
I’m not saying I want us to get Lukaku, more pointing out that he’s as good or better than Kane if played right.
I actually prefer us without a striker - think we do better stuff playing false 9’s.
Maybe football’s evolving to take traditional strikers who can’t press like crazy out of the game in the same way that goal keepers who can’t distribute / play behind a high line are now no longer fit for purpose?

Stacks

But they have performed well in the biggest club games. He feels hard done by for not being included in that bracket, and my point is he needs to do it on the biggest stages to remove this tag that has been associated with him.

I mean look at his record - at Juve, he's scored a fair few vs Milan and a couple against napoli from open play but that's that.

For us, it was a goal vs RM, 1 vs Chelsea and couple against PSG and that was it in the bigger games (not even 1 other goal vs big 7 sides), If anything, his record at Everton was much better where he scored frequently against City, Arsenal, Pool and all
That's true. But I don't know who is considered a big game in Serie A to be honest. I do know that his record in the UK was unforgiveable regardless of who he played for or played under.
Just a quick browse and he scored vs Milan, Napoli, 2 goals + assist vs Lazio, goal + assist vs Milan, goal + assist vs Roma, all in all not too shabby in that league

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
My 2c is that he's a good striker, not a great one, has good and bad parts to his game and moving to Italy was great for everyone. He also seems a pretty good guy.

He has proven that he's not able to deliver the absolute top level in the Prem. But can in Serie A. I think Serie A isn't really used to that type of striker, from the bits I watch. I don't think it's controversial to say the Prem is harder for forwards.

He should stay at Inter and become a legend like he already is for Belgium.

GifLord

If Lukaku never played for United, this thread would not look like it does. Some are loathe to give him credit for anything, but watch him to pick out mistakes and are quick to post up about them whilst glossing over his positive contributions.

Disappointing, Geoff.
We'd still laugh at him like we do at Morata but at least Morata is semi likeable while this guy literally thinks he's among the elite.

Shark

@NotShark
The hype this guy receives time and time again as if he's a genuinely elite player during tournaments is laughable. He's a good player at best who can snuff out goals if the ball is literally put on the plate for him, although at United that was even far from true.

FatTails

Will always remain hugely underrated here because people are too emotional and he wasn’t all nice and complimentary after leaving United.

He’s class, and shows it every time he is on the pitch, and has the numbers to back it up. Like many class players we’ve bought over the years, he was let down by a poor manager and a generally badly run club.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We'd still laugh at him like we do at Morata but at least Morata is semi likeable while this guy literally thinks he's among the elite.
It wouldn't be the same. People gun for him because of grievances over his conduct and attitude whilst at United, which means bygones never will be bygones.

If that's what people wish to do, OK, but don't wrap it up and present it as objective posting because it so obviously is not.

Stacks

I said to my mate that although I don't necessairly agree he has a right to believe this. Think about it, if you were him and had scored the volume of goals for club and country since 17, what would you think? Would you honestly believe you weren't among the elite? You have to be arrogant to be a top player and he will feel his goal record puts him there, even if I don't agree. I certainly would.

Will always remain hugely underrated here because people are too emotional and he wasn’t all nice and complimentary after leaving United.

He’s class, and shows it every time he is on the pitch, and has the numbers to back it up. Like many class players we’ve bought over the years, he was let down by a poor manager and a generally badly run club.
How so and who were the other class players? Jose picked him when he scored 28 and Lukaku let him down the next season and helped him get the sack. Why was it Jose and the clubs fault? he managed to start really well and scored loads in the first few months so were the club run well for those initial months or his first season but not the 2nd?
what changed in season 2 to justify his pitiful league tally? Did you not forget he was unfit all season? Gary Neville noticed in one game that Rom was wiped after one sprint and sweating profusely. A professional athlete has to have some accountability for their physical conditioning or you are just unprofessional. I always get annoyed when I hear about highly paid ATHLETES (Hazard included) who turn up to Summer out of shape and Luca Doncic did the same in the NBA last year. Then you look at Lebron who spends one million per year on his body, Ronaldo perhaps too and you realise its down to attitude and professionalism. You are literally paid to be fit and skilled so if you really cared then..........

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I don't agree with the personal insults to Lukaku, it's not his fault he wasn't utilised to his strengths.. He's a fox in the box, you'd realise that if you've ever seen his YouTube of goals..

I'd like to see him again in our team again now that we are creating chances, although he has the first touch of a hippopotamus :lol:. But with fast moving 1 touch play, he has a record of being an amazing finisher when in the box.

Proof was the PSG game in France when he got an absolutely fine brace when we hit them on the counter attack.

GifLord

It wouldn't be the same. People gun for him because of grievances over his conduct and attitude whilst at United, which means bygones never will be bygones.

If that's what people wish to do, OK, but don't wrap it up and present it as objective posting because it so obviously is not.
Look how people joke around about Werner. He's been a meme this past season same way as Lukaku has been when he played for us - stumbling on the ball, poor first touch...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't agree with the personal insults to Lukaku, it's not his fault he wasn't utilised to his strengths.. He's a fox in the box, you'd realise that if you've ever seen his YouTube of goals..

I'd like to see him again in our team again now that we are creating chances, although he has the first touch of a hippopotamus :lol:. But with fast moving 1 touch play, he has a record of being an amazing finisher when in the box.

Proof was the PSG game in France when he got an absolutely fine brace when we hit them on the counter attack.
He has improved his game for sure, at least he has decent balance now that he is in good shape.

What people don't notice is, his league goal scoring record is same as it was in PL. Only difference is, he takes penalties now.

His overall game has improved though, Conte did really well to play him alongside Martinez, they linked up very well.

He has scored 18 and 17 league goals from open play in Serie A, which isn't far from his career average, which is around 15 league goals. Before he didn't take penalties, now he takes them at Inter.

MinsGoalsAssistsNon penalty goalsmins per NP goalMins per NPG+A
Serie A5871471335167.74122.31
PL (ManUtd)499928728178.54142.83

One thing is for certain, he won’t ever be seen on a Man Utd shirt again.

Stacks

Just having a look on Transfermarkt and Rom has gone from scoring 1-3 pens per year in England to scoring 10 per season in Italy so I take it he is their main pen taker now? 10 of his 30 goals last year were from the spot. 8 of the 34 in 2020.

Penelu Lukaku

Stacks

He has improved his game for sure, at least he has decent balance now that he is in good shape.

What people don't notice is, his league goal scoring record is same as it was in PL. Only difference is, he takes penalties now.

His overall game has improved though, Conte did really well to play him alongside Martinez, they linked up very well.

He has scored 18 and 17 league goals from open play in Serie A, which isn't far from his career average, which is around 15 league goals. Before he didn't take penalties, now he takes them at Inter.

MinsGoalsAssistsNon penalty goalsmins per NP goalMins per NPG+A
Serie A5871471335167.74122.31
PL (ManUtd)499928728178.54142.83
You just beat me to it. I literally posted this a minute ago. I should have read down the thread but I was looking stuff up

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Look how people joke around about Werner. He's been a meme this past season same way as Lukaku has been when he played for us - stumbling on the ball, poor first touch...
You know full well it's not the same and there's no vitriol laced in posts about Werner.

Lukaku probably made his own bed with his words and conduct, but that stuff should go in a 'Let's all laugh at <>' kind of thread, really.

TheRedHearted

One thing is for certain, he won’t ever be seen on a Man Utd shirt again.
That’s for sure.
I’m not saying I want us to get Lukaku, more pointing out that he’s as good or better than Kane if played right.
I actually prefer us without a striker - think we do better stuff playing false 9’s.
Maybe football’s evolving to take traditional strikers who can’t press like crazy out of the game in the same way that goal keepers who can’t distribute / play behind a high line are now no longer fit for purpose?
i think Tottenham should go for him with some type of swap. Anyone else getting this Cliff bar ad on the CAF? i can’t even see what I’m typing ffs.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I would love to see Lukaku at City, just to see Pep completely meltdown when he saw his first touch.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Pep would turn him into a B2B midfielder or something, possibly CB.
I think Lukaku fits right into the team as a false 9, just with his own interpretation of the role.

Hauxi

Well, at least we know he still has an awful first touch...

MU655

People are obsessed with this guy. It is like people are trying to get verification attention.

And then, it will go the other way when he scores.