Lukaku and Sanchez - cut our losses? Poll now added

Should we cut our losses on Sanchez and Lukaku in the summer?

• Total voters

GM K

I think Lukaku is underrated. He is such a fine goalscorer.

Nuts

Chuck em both.

The Barça game should have been made for Sanchez - such a shame he’s lost it.

Luke1995

Same here. I am actually shocked watching Sanchez these days. I thought his performances during his last months at Arsenal were temporal. I was convinced he could transform our attack. Shocking to see his steep decline.
With some players, you could see they still had something.

Rooney had a few nice touches here and there, Torres created chances for others at Chelsea... Sanchez can't do anything right.

Drz

Sell Sanchez,keep Lukaku....It’s a no brainier really...
It was what I voted originally. But I can't shake the feeling that Lukaku is just not good enough to be a united striker.
I was very and maybe overly critical when Rooney would lose the ball with his first touch, to be fair the same should apply to Lukaku.
So just changed my vote to reflect that.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lukaku should go. Said it before but he doesn't seem to fit the style wants to implement, is on high wages and we could get a good fee for him. Just seems logical to move him on.

tomaldinho1

Lukaku should go. Said it before but he doesn't seem to fit the style wants to implement, is on high wages and we could get a good fee for him. Just seems logical to move him on.
Yh I agree, I can only assume the posters who want us to keep him are doing so because he had good stats with previous clubs? There's been nothing in his play since he joined us that suggests he will suddenly come good.

This coming transfer window is crucial for us because we're in danger of being back out of the CL & no closer to challenging for the PL again. Lukaku doesn't fit our style and we shouldn't hang onto player for sentiment or because they were good elsewhere. All that matters is their form for us and his has not been good enough.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Wonder if this has not drastically changed over the last few weeks.

Kostov

Wonder if this has not drastically changed over the last few weeks.
Why would it? Alexis barely got a couple of minutes and Lukaku hasn't been any worse than Rashford imo. I'd sell the likes of Mata and Lingard before these two, unless we can offload Alexis wages in full to somewhere.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why would it? Alexis barely got a couple of minutes and Lukaku hasn't been any worse than Rashford imo. I'd sell the likes of Mata and Lingard before these two, unless we can offload Alexis wages in full to somewhere.
Because of the task at hand. Creating a team that's meant to challenge in 2-3 years means sticking with Ole's vision of high intensity all over the pitch. Lukaku is not capable of that. Alexis surely just needs shifting to rectify a huge mistake and prevent the wage structure going from probably worst in the world to diabolical.

Kostov

Because of the task at hand. Creating a team that's meant to challenge in 2-3 years means sticking with Ole's vision of high intensity all over the pitch. Lukaku is not capable of that. Alexis surely just needs shifting to rectify a huge mistake and prevent the wage structure going from probably worst in the world to diabolical.
I'm more worried of the general lack of players that can actually contribute. As it stands Lukaku is still our best striker since Rashford isn't any better despite getting a favorite treatment. With Alexis you do have a point therefor I mentioned as well if we can offload him then fine. If we are going to pay his wages in any capacity then we might as well keep him since I think he offers more than both Mata and Lingard, who themselves are getting overpaid.

hobbers

£600k a week for two of the most worthless forwards this club has ever had.

United492

For everything good Lukaku does, he does something to even it out.
For me one of the main things about Lukaku is that he points the finger at his teammates for his poor positional sense. His 2nd touch is a tackle 80% of the time. If Juve are willing to pay £70m I'll drive him there. Towed. Strapped to a skateboard

Saffron

Sanchez has earned £30m in wages already and has £70m left on his contract, so in total £100m plus a fecked wage structure which could easily mean another £100m in the near future in additional wages for other players who otherwise couldn’t reasonably demand that.

So we paid Neymar’s release clause + Mkhitaryan for Sanchez and the privilege of a permanently skewed wage structure which could have ripple effects 10+ years down the line for all we know.

Josep Dowling

We need a goal and Lukaku gets caught offside 3 times, he’s on the last defenders yet run ahead before the ball is passed to him.

Sanchez has to go purely for the mess it has caused with other player wages.

hobbers

At this point we'd be better off fleecing Lukaku to Italy for literally anything Juve are willing to offer, and then putting that money towards buying out the rest of Sanchez's contract.

If getting rid of Mourinho was worth £20m+ then getting rid of Sanchez has to be worth even more.

Roboc7

Sell Lukaku to generate some money and Sanchez get rid of any way possible. In fairness I wouldn’t really be bothered by any player from this squad leaving.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sell Lukaku to generate some money and Sanchez get rid of any way possible. In fairness I wouldn’t really be bothered by any player from this squad leaving.
Is Cash Converters open on Sunday

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Id like to see lukaku and Sanchez get a sustained run in the team. I'd say class Is permanent but I remember falcao.

However I refuse to believe Alexis would be much more ineffective than rashford. And if he could get some form going and we saw arsenal Alexis, hell we might even start scoring some goals.

Actually thought lukaku was brilliant first half today.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Id like to see lukaku and Sanchez get a sustained run in the team. I'd say class Is permanent but I remember falcao.

However I refuse to believe Alexis would be much more ineffective than rashford. And if he could get some form going and we saw arsenal Alexis, hell we might even start scoring some goals.

Actually thought lukaku was brilliant first half today.
State of this, as if Alexis hasn't already had a run stinking out the team. Hes been here nearly 18 months and has less goals than Lingard.

Lukaku has also had a number of sustained runs in the side.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
State of this, as if Alexis hasn't already had a run stinking out the team. Hes been here nearly 18 months and has less goals than Lingard.

Lukaku has also had a number of sustained runs in the side.
Rashford is stinking out the team at the moment instead. How's it gonna get worse? We're out of cl. We've all seen a fit and firing Sanchez, it's a level beyond what I've seen from rashford. Doesn't make sense to write off a formerly world class player who is what, 30, 31?

Plus there have been signs of life, briefly, like Barcelona game when he came on, looked lively.

kundalini

What would it cost to the club to kill Sanchez contract ?
According to the Football Leaks book, Sanchez's basic salary including image rights, signing-on bonus and loyalty bonus is about £20m if we are in the CL. The max he can earn, including all appearance bonuses and other bonuses, if we are in the CL is £25m. If we are in the Europa League, then a 25% reduction in basic salary is standard across first team contracts. He has 3 years left on his contract.

I think we might find a club willing to pay £10m towards his salary on a one year loan deal, though on balance, I expect him to stay.

A lot will depend on how the club view Greenwood and perhaps one or two other youngsters. How close are we to the point where Greenwood might be worth a place on the bench on a regular basis ? Similarly, how many games might you expect him to start ?

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So Conte has done the job required. I'm very pleased with him. One great deal, the other pretty terrible, but everything regarding the Sanchez transfer has been terrible, wages, performances, dressing room affect. Hopefully he'll play himself into a transfer next summer.

Would be funny if Inter introduced him playing the piano :D

I've wanted them both out for a while, but I did not expect the club to not sign anyone in their place. Pretty mad really. I'm all for giving the youngsters as many chances as possible, but to place incredible pressure on them - at least until January - is quite daunting. Hope they can handle it.