Lukaku : Bulking up with muscle hurt me

Shark

@NotShark
Yes yes some white players get branded as such. We know that and to claim otherwise would be ridiculous. It just happens more to black players.

It's a bit like getting arrested.
Can you back that claim up with genuine statistics or are we just going to throw out empty claims?

redIndianDevil

That's not what I've done though is it?

And you have continued to defend a clearly racist comment and are now saying that people don't care.

Awkward.
You are the one who has made this thread awkward(and also the guy who made the silver gorilla remark). People are criticizing Lukaku's weight gain which has apparently caused his poor form which is the actual truth and one which Lukaku himself has accepted(his interview was the reason this thread was created). Honestly I hate the racism in football but it's not going to make me stop criticizing players based on their color when there is an actual reason to. You want to discuss about more black players being criticized for being "dumb" than white players I'd suggest you start a separate thread and leave this thread alone.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Can you back that claim up with genuine statistics or are we just going to throw out empty claims?
Denying racial stereotyping of black players? Are you saying this doesn't exist? Seems a lot of black players have been making things up then. Maybe you should read some of the testimonies of various high profile black players about how they've been treated. And the evidence is right here in this place - just take a search through the player performance threads here on the caf. It's a fascinating microcosm of some more widely held white attitudes to black football players. The lazy and dumb black stereotype is there in all it's glory.

I think we can move this to the racism thread if you feel the need to continue this.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
You are the one who has made this thread awkward(and also the guy who made the silver gorilla remark). People are criticizing Lukaku's weight gain which has apparently caused his poor form which is the actual truth and one which Lukaku himself has accepted(his interview was the reason this thread was created). Honestly I hate the racism in football but it's not going to make me stop criticizing players based on their color when there is an actual reason to. You want to discuss about more black players being criticized for being "dumb" than white players I'd suggest you start a separate thread and leave this thread alone.
What the hell?

Smores

He shouldn't play until he's sorted himself out. He's ruining so much of our play right now.

Stick him in the reserves and ideally get a forward in January to compete with him.

redIndianDevil

I think he means "I won't stop criticising black players just because someone might construe criticism as racism."
This is exactly what I mean @Barca84. You are clearly intent on making any criticism of Lukaku into a race issue so I'm not going to carry this on with you.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
This is exactly what I mean @Barca84. You are clearly intent on making any criticism of Lukaku into a race issue so I'm not going to carry this on with you.
Nope not "any" criticism just the stuff that has a racial bias to it. I've highlighted the race issues in this thread, and in others, and will continue to do so. You'd do well to be more careful in your choice of language when defending statements such as the above if you don't want to be seen as racist yourself.

redIndianDevil

Nope not "any" criticism just the stuff that has a racial bias to it. I've highlighted the race issues in this thread, and in others, and will continue to do so. You'd do well to be more careful in your choice of language when defending statements such as the above if you don't want to be seen as racist yourself.
I also advice you stop generalizing and calling everyone a casual racist and report individual posts which are actually racist if you don't want to be seen as an idiot.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I also advice you stop generalizing and calling everyone a casual racist and report individual posts which are actually racist if you don't want to be seen as an idiot.
Not everyone but the casually racist posts are pretty evident and easily identifiable here and elsewhere including your defence of GEs

Racists do hate getting called out including the casual ones. Happy to continue this in the racism thread or by PM to avoid further thread derailment.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not everyone but the casually racist posts are pretty evident and easily identifiable here and elsewhere including your defence of GEs

Racists do hate getting called out including the casual ones. Happy to continue this in the racism thread or by PM to avoid further thread derailment.
I agree with the point that you are trying to make but your initial post did put the entire thread in the same bag, I assume that you were just being a little bit provocative though.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I agree with the point that you are trying to make but your initial post did put the entire thread in the same bag, I assume that you were just being a little bit provocative though.
Point taken. That was my initial response to an outrageously racist post in a thread that has predictably veered into casual racism. It happens a lot so I've created a thread.

The_Podgy_Poet

Supports
Hartlepool United
Go into your search bars and type in the following:

site:redcafe.net, then either: "unintelligent", "lacks the intelligence" or "lacks intelligence" (all with the speechmarks).

You'll see the majority (not all) of the comments stating that the individual player lacks intelligence is attributed to black players - especially with those playing for you.

I'm not saying that there is blatant racism on here, and there could be other reasons for this, but it is worthy of discussion and there is a degree of dissonance around it.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

site:redcafe.net, then either: "unintelligent", "lacks the intelligence" or "lacks intelligence" (all with the speechmarks).

You'll see the majority (not all) of the comments stating that the individual player lacks intelligence is attributed to black players - especially with those playing for you.

I'm not saying that there is blatant racism on here, and there could be other reasons for this, but it is worthy of discussion and there is a degree of dissonance around it.
On a Liverpool forum it'd be mostly moreno and mignolet threads.

manunited1919

Most of those comments would be aimed at Lukaku, Rashford, and Lindgard. Not many would say the same about Martial or Pogba. The reasons these comments are made have nothing to do with the skin color, but have everything to do with their lack of decision-making or bad execution at key points of the attack. If Phil Jones were a forward, he would also receive these type of comments; but since he is a defender, the comments made about him are mainly that he lacks good positioning.

KennyBurner

I agree that he's a bit shit - I'm not much of a fan these days. But the undercurrent in much of this thread, and elsewhere, is part of the long standing racial stereotyping that a lot of black players are lazy and dumb.

White players don't get the same amount of accusations of laziness or dumbness levelled at them.

Lukaku is big and black and not playing very well. Therefore he is lazy, dumb and compared to Emile Heskey, Lenny Henry or other big black men as a form of ridicule.
I hate the stereotype myself because Im also black. However we can statistically prove that lukaku is lazy. You just need to look at his movement, touches on the ball and distance covered. I don't get where the dumb opinion came from but he has made a bunch of questionable decisions in his past 2 seasons here. I remember a time last season when he was offside but through on goal with Herrera, what he needed to do was leave the ball for herrera who would have been onside while he created space for himself to receive a pass toward goal, but of course him being a genius decided to chase and touch the ball and you could just feel the frustration from his teammates.

I'm not one for the generalizing stereotypes of black players but lukaku really isn't the brightest in my personal opinion. Dumb is a harsh word but i don't think he is smart either.

NK86

That's not what I've done though is it?

And you have continued to defend a clearly racist comment and are now saying that people don't care.

Awkward.
Don't know if you are trying to score points or are not getting a simple statement that guy made. He clearly said no one would care to argue with you if you called out actual racist posts. However you are basically saying this whole thread is about casual racism.

I don't see players like Pogba being called lazy or dumb. So why do you think only Lukaku is called such. Is it possible that he actually doesn't work hard enough and this can be noticed by looking at his game and stats like kms covered and his sprints? Or maybe that too is now a sign of racism?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Jose admitted that his first touch is shit after the Liverpool game, it doesn’t really surprise anyone but makes you think how he decided to spend 75M on a striker lacking a key attribute for his position.

Fracture90

I sincerely hope that Ole being a striker during his playing days can help Lukaku improve, if possible.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

thank god OShea, Mcfail, Failini and the Neville brothers aren't black or else I would be in trouble.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Jones, Matić, MCT as well…
this. I am sure Jones is treated in here as a mix between Machiavelli, Hawking and Plato solely because of his skin colour.

Seriously, anyone questioning Lukaku's intelligence should be criticised not because of racism but because that criticism is incorrect. I think Lukaku's problem is that he's limited. He's not particularly technically gifted, his first touch is shocking, he can't hold the ball for long and his passing skills is nothing to write home about. Even his skill set isn't impressing. He's strong but he's hardly a Duncan Ferguson, he's fast but he's nowhere near to the real speedsters (ex Anelka) and his eye to goal is nowhere near to the likes of RVN or Van Basten.

The good news is that no dumb player will ever be able to reach such heights with such limited skill set. He was able to achieve so, because he knows how to use his few skills to maximum efficiency. However since he isn't exactly a Kane let alone a Shearer or an RVN. then he must do what all other mortal strikers do and improve the rest of his game.
Someone at United must have a talk to him and tell him that he can't be an RVN simply because his finishing is nowhere near to that. Thus similarly to other players he simply has to adapt ie and work on other skills. There's nothing to be ashamed upon. Cole had to do so and he was ten times the finisher Lukaku was. Pirlo and Scholes were even forced to change their position.

Last edited:

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Did anyone see his recent interview before Jose got fired? My god, he is taking the piss out of the club and us the fans. He seems so smug and refused to take responsibility for his failure this season. When the interviewer asked him about the criticsm from Paul Scholes, he just laughed and brushed it off and why he seemed so much happier for Belgium, he started laughing hysterically which seems to be a dig at us. I used to be fond of him but now I hope we get rid of this useless donkey. What a massive tool.

Apokalips

Did anyone see his recent interview before Jose got fired? My god, he is taking the piss out of the club and us the fans. He seems so smug and refused to take responsibility for his failure this season. When the interviewer asked him about the criticsm from Paul Scholes, he just laughed and brushed it off and why he seemed so much happier for Belgium, he started laughing hysterically which seems to be a dig at us. I used to be fond of him but now I hope we get rid of this useless donkey. What a massive tool.
Which interview is this?

pacifictheme

I don't care whether hes clever or not. He lacks whats needed to be a top level player. I'd sooner see rashford up top. Hes more suited to playing in a front 3 as he has a better touch, eye for goal and can more naturally interchange with the two wide players to create chances.

Lukaku is a more traditional front player with an awful first touch. And anecdotally i do think hes lazy as feck when we haven't got the ball.

3KDré

The way he comes across at times in this interview, had it been someone like Pogba or Martial they'd have been crucified for it. Worst thing is as well is the physique question, he doesn't seem to know its not strength he is questioned about.

dave1956

I would say his footballing intelligence, i.e., reading the game and forward thinking combined with quickness of thought does need improving, that clearly is up to the coaching staff, although I believe that the ability to read a game and the quickness of thought is a natural thing which is the difference between becoming a great player and above average one.
After watching the Cardiff game with the quick movement and first touch passing I think he will have difficulty in adapting, mainly due to his lack of a poor first touch and general movement. I would not be surprised if he leaves the club before next season at his own request.

galwayfa

I think he is useless, not my useless but a professional footballer for Manchester United useless

reddevil702

Weird I clearly heard him say he accepts He hasnt been scoring recently and took himself being dropped as a challenge to regain his spot back. Sounds like he’s taking responsibility. What’s he suppose to say about being criticizing? He’s been shit this year and he may not be good enough for United but you really seem to be looking too much into his interview.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He means the one where the female version of Rashford interviews him.

Good interview on her behalf. I think he was laughing at how brazen she was. She certainly asked good questions that you wouldn't expect a lot to come out with.

The part about 'winning vibe' struck me as interesting. Hopefully that's changed now.

RuudTom83

Also I got the feeling he was trying to act cool in front of her, so I wouldn’t take much from the interview or read his answers as being disrespectful.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The way he comes across at times in this interview, had it been someone like Pogba or Martial they'd have been crucified for it. Worst thing is as well is the physique question, he doesn't seem to know its not strength he is questioned about.
Nope. Pogba and Martial have far more supporters then Rom. If they had released this interview, their defenders would be out in force.

Its just another stick to beat our own player with.