Lukaku or Ronaldo was more embarrassing?

Sir Erik ten Hag

As the title stated, which player do you think had the more embarrassing situation while burning their bridge?

• Ronaldo: Proceeded to slag our club while being in the most horrendous form of his life (After deliberately missing our preseason). Then his agent tried to whore him to all of Europe with no club being interested. In the end he had to escape to Arab while looking at Messi lifting the World Cup. All his old good ties with Manchester United ex-players and even Fergie himself are probably gone now.

• Lukaku: How many clubs has he burned bridge with? Even Inter seems disgusted with him now. His last chance in Europe’s football now lies in Juventus, a place where he used to complain about having racial abuse from the fans. Probably go off to Arab soon. And this is on the back of an embarrassing CL Final when he once again gifted City.

Karlos PFC

Douchebag or Turd Sandwich?

In all seriousness I hate both of them. If I had a gun pointing at me probably Lukaku

Idxomer

Ronaldo, of course. He burned his bridges with a club he was in for 7 seasons where fans worshipped him almost unconditionally. He also did it with a huge media circus involving the likes of Piers Morgan.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Obviously Ronaldo

It's one thing to feed the odd snide quote to the press but a full televised interview is unprecedented

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ronaldo. In the eyes of most among the top 5 players of all time. The embarrassing thing about Lukkaku is he is the least clutch striker of his era. Ronaldo could have retired from Europe with dignity but managed to feck that royally with his petulant narcissistic behaviour and at least coming across as delusional

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku clearly, but it was our own fault as we should have done our due diligence.

Ofcourse feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the vast majority of Ronaldo's United crititsism towards the Glazer regime? (ie them not caring, the infrastructure still being the same as what he left etc).

Last edited:

Gehrman

Lukaku clearly, but it was our own fault as we should have done our due diligence.

Ofcourse feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the vast majority of Ronaldo's United crititsm towards the Glazer regime? (ie them not caring, the infrastructure still being the same as what he left etc).
It wasnt just that. It was directly attacking Ten Haag. Talking about maturity and mentality(ie attacking the younger players mentality) and then throwing hissy fits when subbed for younger players.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ronaldo could have left in the summer without ruining a lot of good will. Totally bizarre decision to stay longer.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ofcourse feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the vast majority of Ronaldo's United crititsm towards the Glazer regime?
If you believe Ronaldo gave a single shit about that, sure.

He obviously didn't.

It was strategically placed to give his insane fans something to lap up. And they did, of course.

To non-insane fans, the Morgan interview was utterly disgraceful and showed his true colours (as if we didn't know).

Lukaku was just another player who left under less than ideal circumstances. A nothing story (involving a nothing player, if we're brutally honest). Not comparable to Ronaldo at all.

Theonas

Scout

Ofcourse feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the vast majority of Ronaldo's United crititsm towards the Glazer regime? (ie them not caring, the infrastructure still being the same as what he left etc).
It was the delusion of it all. Talking as though he's too good for the situation and how he belonged to the very elite competing for the CL only for him to be turned down by everyone and then ending up sacking his agent. It was really unprecendented levels of delusion that made you wonder who does he listen to.

TsuWave

I don't think Ronaldo finds it embarrassing. The purpose of that interview was to burn bridges so he could go.

Gehrman

I don't think Ronaldo finds it embarrassing. The purpose of that interview was to burn bridges so he could go.
Ronaldo is completely anal about his legacy. Maybe the interview wasnt embarrassing for him but the fall out was.

Gehrman

Ten Haag had already said officially Ronnie could leave in Jan before that

Theonas

Scout
Didn't he climb down from his horse and say something recently that he grew from the experience and he's the better for it or something to that extent? For someone like him that's as close as you'd get to admitting that they regret something.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The Ronaldo situation. Bigger the climb bigger the fall. There was so many opportunities to put the brakes on the situation as well but Ronaldo seemed dead set on burning things down. He’d also built up this reputation as someone who was all about winning and not just for himself but for the team (to some anyway), and he managed to torpedo that too, it was just until then Ronaldo winning usually meant the team winning.

One of the tangentially great things about the situation was how much harder the really committed hardcore Ronaldo supporters had to work to justify his behaviour over time

-When he doesn’t turn up to preseason because he’s looking to get a move away and to see what clubs are interested. He doesn’t explain at the time but says he will reveal all soon (as he checks his spam filter in case he’d missed an offer in there). This is adamantly denied by his supporter base

-He decided to leave the preseason game early. The poster denies this and sends a picture saying actually it was from before the game. It is then confirmed it wasn’t before the game, “well he obviously got permission”, ETH confirms he wasn’t given permission, “Well loads of other players did it why is Ronnie getting singled out like always?” Ronaldo was the only player who left early that day who was involved in the match day squad

-Ronaldo slaps phone out of that teen’s hand and the hardcore supporters claim it was an accident, details of the incident prove this wrong and the argument changes to the teen shouldn’t have been abusing him and if you play stupid games win stupid prizes. This time video evidence proves that the kid wasn’t abusing him, talking to him or even looking at him, so the argument switches to “The mum is an attention seeking bitch (genuine words) trying to make quick bit of money” and that is embarrassing the mum was getting involved on behalf of her son.

-Ronaldo refuses to come on as a substitute. Once again the hardcore Ronaldo supporters claim it didn’t happen, and that either he misheard what ETH had asked of him or that it was a misunderstanding. ETH confirms that Ronaldo had indeed refused to come on, and the core Ronaldo supporters revert to the “a big deal is being made out of it solely because it’s Ronaldo” argument.

-Ronaldo decides to do a reveal all interview with beloved television presenter Piers Morgan…

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Cristiano. Utter bellend and his acolytes make it worse.

Lukaku luckily has no fanboys.

Ted Lasso

The rape case puts Ronaldo into much more serious disrepute as a person for me. The career he's had, he had every right to be a prima Donna and I don't much care about the United comments because he was right to say it. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a Glazer sympathizer (@Withnail see? This is what I'm talking about. Criticizing the way the club is run by the Glazers deemed as slagging off the club rather than acknowledging the mess they've made)

Lukaku has never come close to accomplishing enough to make his antics anything but cringe. But on the human side, he's just a fat emotional baby. And I can ignore that more easily than criminal accusations.

Member 101269

It was the delusion of it all. Talking as though he's too good for the situation and how he belonged to the very elite competing for the CL only for him to be turned down by everyone and then ending up sacking his agent. It was really unprecendented levels of delusion that made you wonder who does he listen to.
Delusion that spread to several players...

Gehrman

The rape case puts Ronaldo into much more serious disrepute as a person for me. The career he's had, he had every right to be a prima Donna and I don't much care about the United comments because he was right to say it. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a Glazer sympathizer (@Withnail see? This is what I'm talking about. Criticizing the way the club is run by the Glazers deemed as slagging off the club rather than acknowledging the mess they've made)

Lukaku has never come close to accomplishing enough to make his antics anything but cringe. But on the human side, he's just a fat emotional baby. And I can ignore that more easily than criminal accusations.
You have to inform people like me about the most up-to-date information about Ronaldo's rape case to make it relevant.

Withnail

I don't see the relevance at all and think you're reaching. His goal wasn't too shine a light on anything to do with the Glazers and he didn't just talk about them. His goal was to burn his bridges which he well and truly succeeded at, thankfully. You're being quite naive and to claim those who want the Glazers out don't want the Qataris as being motivated by xenophobia is a strange one. People have a problem with state ownership and/or the horrendous human rights record of that state.

I haven't had time to respond to your other post as there was a lot in it and I'm tremendously hungover. I'm also slightly miffed you've caused me to post in one of this lad's pointless threads.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Ronaldo. Torched his legacy all for a fecking interview with that cnut Piers Morgan. Lukaku doesn't come close

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Do you lot still consider Ronaldo a club legend then? I always thought he was but seeing the responses in here ...

Withnail

Do you lot still consider Ronaldo a club legend then? I always thought he was but seeing the responses in here ...
I'm not sure I totally subscribe to it but there was already an argument being made that he wasn't a club legend as he fecked off to Real just as he hit his peak.

I wouldn't consider him a club legend at this point, no.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Wasn't Lukaku's biggest crime being shit? With Ronnie it's that plus being a major douchebag, so he wins.

Robertd0803

Ronaldo definitley.

Lukaku was crap anyway and no one missed him, Ronaldo on the other hand was idolised by millions worldwide.

TsuWave

Ten Haag had already said officially Ronnie could leave in Jan before that
Ten Hag is merely a manager. He wanted to go in the summer, but IIRC United was looking for a fee - and the same for Jan.

Red4Life_#7

As the title stated, which player do you think had the more embarrassing situation while burning their bridge?

• Ronaldo: Proceeded to slag our club while being in the most horrendous form of his life (After deliberately missing our preseason). Then his agent tried to whore him to all of Europe with no club being interested. In the end he had to escape to Arab while looking at Messi lifting the World Cup. All his old good ties with Manchester United ex-players and even Fergie himself are probably gone now..

Sorry these are outrageous comments, his child died a few weeks/months before he isn't a superhuman. He already explained he didn't feel the club gave him enough support during this time. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment, family comes first before everything.

Show a bit of respect. This thread is pointless

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku luckily has no fanboys.
Unfortunently that's not true, unless Lukaku himself is creating numerous accounts online to defend himself (in fairness I genuinely wouldn't put it past him) he has his fair share of alcolytes himself, infact if you scale talent/achievement:fans he's probably got the "best" ratio.

Literally had even other Chelsea fans trying trying blame our UCL squad for him having 7 touches in a game and falling onto the advertising hoardings.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't Lukaku's biggest crime being shit?
I wish, if he knew and accepted his level and limitations and went home I wouldn't have an issue with him beyond his performances.

His ego and sense of entitlement is off the scale for his ability level. He has an excellent PR team aswell, somehow they managed to dupe most of the footballing world into thinking a decent 7th-10th place level PL scorer (or at best a Solskjaer esque super sub at a bigger club) was some sort of Drogba regen, it was insane.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Sorry these are outrageous comments, his child died a few weeks/months before he isn't a superhuman. He already explained he didn't feel the club gave him enough support during this time. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment, family comes first before everything.

If family came first he'd have retired and nobody would have blamed him, he wants to be in the limelight, he's essentially a narcissist who needs to be praised and loved by all and sundry

Sir Erik ten Hag

Him having that interview just to slag off the club IS pointless.