Lukaku to Chelsea? €100m bid + player rejected

pacifictheme

Lingard is a fair point, although his form is woefully inconsistent. Phil Jones though! Who will take a gamble on someone with his wages and injury record? Our issue is over paying players which makes them much less attractive to buying clubs.
Phil Jones was just a joke really. I agree on the wages front.

Josh 76

Obviously Chelsea have the money. Why not just offer Dortmund another 20-30m, plus a couple of fringe players, and get Haaland. 100m for Lukaku is mind boggling!

Classical Mechanic

There’s a huge difference between the standards of Chelsea not wanting players and ours. Chelsea selling their most promising youngsters isn’t something to celebrate IMO. Its not as if Chelsea keep and play their biggest talents, they’re sold as well (unless there’s a transfer ban in place). It’s like us selling Mejbri or Greenwood etc
Not sure on that. They've decided that Tammy and Tomori are surplus to requirements. I don't think Tammy would ever be more than a backup player for a top 4 club and there are questions over Tomori's ability on the ball. They've kept Mount and James who would be the equivalent to Greenwood and Mejbri.

Judas

Open to offers
Obviously Chelsea have the money. Why not just offer Dortmund another 20-30m, plus a couple of fringe players, and get Haaland. 100m for Lukaku is mind boggling!
Because I don't think Haaland is interested, total guesswork on my behalf but it makes sense. But if Chelsea are willing to throw silly money on Lukaku, I'm sure they were willing to do so on Haaland.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There’s a huge difference between the standards of Chelsea not wanting players and ours. Chelsea selling their most promising youngsters isn’t something to celebrate IMO. Its not as if Chelsea keep and play their biggest talents, they’re sold as well (unless there’s a transfer ban in place). It’s like us selling Mejbri or Greenwood etc
Absolutely spot on

Chelsea are selling young players most normal clubs would keep whereas we're trying to sell dross like Andreas and Dalot or players at the wrong end of their career like Jones and Lingard

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely spot on

Chelsea are selling young players most normal clubs would keep whereas we're trying to sell dross like Andreas and Dalot or players at the wrong end of their career like Jones and Lingard
Some of the young players decided to leave for themselves. Chelsea can't put a gun to Livramento's head for example, and force him to sign a contract, if he can't see a pathway through Reece James into the first team. There is surely a limit to the amount of academy players a club can reasonably have in the first team. Chelsea already have about 5, of which 3 are regular starters.

Some of them were head-scratchers, I won't lie [Guehi for example, I think is more or less similarly talented as Kounde without the resume to back it up] but in the end, you either send them out on loan and assess their level when they return or you sell them. Most of the players we sold had one thing in common, they didn't want to go out on loan. Those who were happy to go on loan, did [Gallagher, Gilmour and soon Broja].

charlenefan

Some of the young players decided to leave for themselves. Chelsea can't put a gun to Livramento's head for example, and force him to sign a contract, if he can't see a pathway through Reece James into the first team. There is surely a limit to the amount of academy players a club can reasonably have in the first team. Chelsea already have about 5, of which 3 are regular starters.

Some of them were head-scratchers, I won't lie [Guehi for example, I think is more or less similarly talented as Kounde without the resume to back it up] but in the end, you either send them out on loan and assess their level when they return or you sell them. Most of the players we sold had one thing in common, they didn't want to go out on loan. Those who were happy to go on loan, did [Gallagher, Gilmour and soon Broja].
Tomori is one I can't understand, he was brilliant against us for Milan last season. Compare his performances against us with Dalot's it's clear to see why Chelsea find it easier to sell their players than we do ours

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I think he’s a very good signing for them. He’ll absolutely tonk the teams towards the mid and lower end of the table, and provide a focal point for others to play off against the top teams.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tomori is one I can't understand, he was brilliant against us for Milan last season. Compare his performances against us with Dalot's it's clear to see why Chelsea find it easier to sell their players than we do ours
I watched that Milan-United tie, you're right, he was really impressive. There was a clause in the loan agreement. I'm not certain if Chelsea had the chance to veto the move, but regardless, Tomori was keen to move to Milan permanently, and fair play to him because I don't think he would have been an automatic starter for us next season.

I applaud young players who take control over their own careers, so even though it's not nice to see so many academy prospects leave all at once, they're making smart moves for their own careers.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You can say that about literally any player though.
Not really, Lingard was obviously surplus to requirements hence the loan. We had a figure that we wanted for him and no club can seem to afford him so we may as well keep him now.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not really, Lingard was obviously surplus to requirements hence the loan. We had a figure that we wanted for him and no club can seem to afford him so we may as well keep him now.
If a good enough offer came in, you'd sell Sancho. If a good enough offer came in, Chelsea would sell Mount.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Anytime you hear the word donkey or animal refering to a player, it seems to be towards a black player. Not sure its just me but the tone always makes me wonder and question the reasoning behind it…
Well let me help you out there, before this escalates yet again.. Lindelof is a blind one legged donkey

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Because I don't think Haaland is interested, total guesswork on my behalf but it makes sense. But if Chelsea are willing to throw silly money on Lukaku, I'm sure they were willing to do so on Haaland.
Would make no sense for Haland to leave Dortmund, he has a massive payday coming and Mina will want to make sure he can suck as much money as possible out of the deal.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If a good enough offer came in, you'd sell Sancho. If a good enough offer came in, Chelsea would sell Mount.
Neither of your examples are for sale though.

Lingard has always been in the shop window, but he's not someone we have an appetite to sell on peanuts.

Basically you saying the manager wants to keep him is wrong. Ole quite clearly wants to move Lingard on but is unable to.

charlenefan

If a good enough offer came in for Lingard I think we'd have sold him.
Yeah don't listen to what Ole says publicly, he said the same about Lukaku and Sanchez right before we sold both of them

Lingard is on the for sale pile

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Anytime you hear the word donkey or animal refering to a player, it seems to be towards a black player. Not sure its just me but the tone always makes me wonder and question the reasoning behind it…
Its actually you who is being racist here.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He will be double the amount of Lukaku double the amount Lukaku wages then agent and his family fees probably made chelsea backed off.

Sure another probability haaland not wanted to move to chelsea.If so he will sign anyway next season.

Alemar

Your manager wants to keep him, that's why!
Of course he doesn’t - Lingard is surplus to requirements and not cheap to have. At the very best he is a sub to Bruno and 3rd option off the left. Without chances to become first choice (it is simply impossible for him to bench Bruno or Pogba).

But it’s not OGS’ style to publicly say he doesn’t want his player

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
You should employ better negotiator then most of your problems in selling players will be solved.

CG1010

Well let me help you out there, before this escalates yet again.. Lindelof is a blind one legged donkey
:lol: Brutal as I tend to associate word donkey in football with one which has really poor technical qualities. Lindelof isn't bad technically given he is a CB!

cyberman

But this doesn’t happen in a vacuum. With Henderson, Scott, Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood and lingard you could see 6 players start for us that played through the academy. Feck knows what the numbers will be if the likes of Elanga get game time as well. Clubs have to earn that, earn the youngsters trust that they can stay and develop at the actual club they signed for. Even James etc were sent away on loan. Not trusting the club to integrate them through the first team is an element of why these players are sold and that’s somehow applauded on here.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
:lol: Brutal as I tend to associate word donkey in football with one which has really poor technical qualities. Lindelof isn't bad technically given he is a CB!
Technically I agree with you. But also technically he’s not a very good defender

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's not a CB, he's a failed DM. He hardly does any defending ffs. Most defending he does is pointing at where he wants Maguire to cover him and hold his hands up like he's being held at gun point.

CG1010

He's not a CB, he's a failed DM. He hardly does any defending ffs. Most defending he does is pointing at where he wants Maguire to cover him and hold his hands up like he's being held at gun point.
I agree! Hence what I said about him being ok on the ball actually.

Red_toad

150 million plus 20 million agent fee, plus 20 million for his dad plus a reported 1 million a week wage demand! So not really a little bit more, massively way more!

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
But this doesn’t happen in a vacuum. With Henderson, Scott, Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood and lingard you could see 6 players start for us that played through the academy. Feck knows what the numbers will be if the likes of Elanga get game time as well. Clubs have to earn that, earn the youngsters trust that they can stay and develop at the actual club they signed for. Even James etc were sent away on loan. Not trusting the club to integrate them through the first team is an element of why these players are sold and that’s somehow applauded on here.
If players not wanted to be patient it's better to sell them rather than keep them unhappily. We had enough youngsters started in cl final.

The mentioned above players three went on loan and established themselves. Our academy now only started to generate some class youngsters. They just able to hold on to their first team place. It's long process to integrate youngsters in teams expected to fight for title.

For past few seasons I don't think you fight for any title. Will see how long before you win any big title. It's easy for teams not fight for titles to integrate youngsters in the team.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah and there are 5 at Chelsea. I think there is kind of a limit to how many of these academy kids you can have in the first team if you're aiming to win major trophies.

You're not wrong about Chelsea needing to earn the trust that the pathway will always be there if they're good enough, but I don't think just selling them is what's being applauded here [and it's hardly deafening praise, so let's not overstate it] it's the fees they're being sold for.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Haaland doesnt like London. He likes Manchester.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Perhaps but at what cost? Football players can contribute in other ways rather than just individual goals. He doesn’t bring anything else to the table and his goal record isn’t good enough to justify the poor elements in his game.
He really will just fill one need. Convert oppo
Our most promising youngsters are starting games for us. You can only have so many come through.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Surely if he's world class like you say he is, he's worth the money?
I do think he is world class. As would many others, but they'd also agree he isnt worth 97m also.
I'm yet to see posts saying Immobile, Duvan Zapata, Luis Muirel are world class too, yes all 3 of them have better record than Lukaku in Serie A since he joined Inter.
Lukaku has been there 2 years and scored 64 in 95. Immobile 64 in 89. Muriel 45 in 84 Zapata 38 in 82.

Thats last 2 years between them all, in Lukaku's entire Inter time

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
That’s a pretty simplistic view, considering it very much does matter what his control and dribbling ability is like, especially playing in a team with the forward line you guys have. It is clear he was in a mismanaged United team, and there was plenty of rumours about the diet issues that caused him to put weight on, which weren’t spotted by United.

That said, it’s undeniable that Serie A is a weaker league and his international record is hugely littered with bunches of goals against truest horrible teams. I’m not talking about the likes Palace or Sheffield United, more like Gibraltar, San Marino etc.

Just on that last point, if you win trophies, yes. Otherwise his time at United would have been considered a success.
But he also scored 1 in 2 at WBA and Everton. So regardless of his touch and dribbling etc, he is a goalscorer. He scores goals everywhere he goes, and hits double figures quite consistently. Apart from his first stint with us and his first season as a pro, he has never scored lower than 15 in a season. Anderlecht, WBA, Everton, Inter, Utd. He will score goals for us, and thats all we needed, a goalscorer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I do think he is world class. As would many others, but they'd also agree he isnt worth 97m also.

Lukaku has been there 2 years and scored 64 in 95. Immobile 64 in 89. Muriel 45 in 84 Zapata 38 in 82.

Thats last 2 years between them all, in Lukaku's entire Inter time
In Serie A, Lukaku has 48 goals + assists (excluding pens) at 122 mins per G+A.
Immobile has 53 Non penalty goals + assists at 113 mins per G+A
Zapata has 46 Non penalty goals + assists at 95 mins per G+A
Muriel has 40 Non penalty goals + assists at 67 mins per G+A
Caputo has 39 Non penalty goals+ assists at 118 mins per G+A
Henrik Mkhitaryan has 36 Non penalty goals + assists at 118 mins per G+A

Serie A
Top 10 Non penalty goals + assists (ordered by mins per G+A)
RkPlayerSquadMinsGoalsAssistsNon Penalty GoalsNPG + AssistsMins per NPG+A
5​
Luis MurielAtalanta
2696​
40​
8​
32​
40​
67.40​
10​
Dries MertensNapoli
3148​