Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back at this, it's pretty shame how this didn't work out. His first 2 months here were like a day dream. I was over the moon back then and convinced he's going to secure the striker position for us for years to come.
He scored 25% of his goals over the two years in those first 8 weeks.

Despite all his technical failings, it’s been his attitude that’s shown him up to be a fraud. Will be forgotten almost instantly.

tomaldinho1

His time can be summed up in that he is a big name player that was always wrong for us, bought by a big name manager who was always wrong for us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For all the he took paycut bs (as usual lazy journalism without checking net and gross wages.)
The player has agreed a five-year deal with Inter worth around £300,000 a week. Conte is a long-time admirer of Lukaku and wanted to sign the Belgian when at Chelsea and will be delighted to have got his man.

Pace Abuser

His attitude has been just like what the Everton fan's despised about him.
It's never a good combination to have a hard on for yourself while being sensitive and sulky.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You don't understand the vitriol? We paid anywhere from 75-90 million on this guy and he's scored 16 goals and 12 goals while displaying the first touch of my grandma and the stamina of some fat guy at the end of the bar and now this summer's antics. It's actually quite easy to understand the vitriol.
Specimen A, ladies and gents.

Red4Life_#7

Strange player overall... excellent finishing some days and terrible other days, his old up play was never good and his first touch abysmal. Definitely not the type of player we need to challenge City and Pool. We need high technical players.

Shaguar2k

A Duncan Ferguson type player ends up getting 300k these days... goodness!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's fairly clear something happened, probably during the first season. Everybody knows Pogba loves his social media and is always on Instagram. In the first few months of Lukaku signing they were hanging out on a practically daily basis. They even went on holiday together. Pogba was posting videos and pictures with him all the time. In the last year or so I haven't seen them together on there once.
Thanks, mate. This whole thing is freaking weird. It makes you wonder how many ‘groups’ we have in this ‘small’ squad.

Anyway. Those years of wondering of why United could have a main striker like him is finally behind. He’s definitely the worse main striker United i’ve seen, since the ‘90s.

Last edited:

Steven-UK

Very pleased to see the back of him. Never a top level striker unless handed to him on a plate. Any decent striker could do that.

Nr.7

So glad he’s gone.
I couldn’t stand watching him pointing with his hands pretending to lead the line and his awful first touch. It’s actually more of a first bounce in Lukakus case.

I can’t help but to wonder how many potential goals we didn’t score cause Lukaku lost the ball with his horrible first touch when a decent striker would be able to control it and pass to a teammate which would then lead to a goal?
There’s so many situations that ended nowhere cause the balls kept bouncing off of Lukaku.

beingshe7don

We should have also gotten rid of Matic in exchange for Nainggolan while we had the option. I don't quite understand Mourinho sometimes when he says that Pep was allowed to buy two goalkeepers to get it right. If we take a look, the players Mourinho bought while he was here

Pogba - Has been inconsistent but is still our best outfield player.
Ibrahimovic - Had a really good first season until his injury. However, he missed a lot of chances.
Lukaku - Poor first touch...
Matic - Too slow
Bailly - Too rash and injury-prone
Lindelof - Good so far but the jury is still out on him
Dalot - Good so far but still needs to improve on his defending
Fred - Had a terrible first season.
Grant - Does not play
Sanchez - considered a flop
Mhikitariyan - considered a flop

11 signings.... out of which 8 remain at the club and out of those 8, 3 are players that are worth keeping at the club which would imply a 37.5% success rate when it came to transfers and he wanted more money to spend....

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
So glad he’s gone.
I couldn’t stand watching him pointing with his hands pretending to lead the line and his awful first touch. It’s actually more of a first bounce in Lukakus case.

I can’t help but to wonder how many potential goals we didn’t score cause Lukaku lost the ball with his horrible first touch when a decent striker would be able to control it and pass to a teammate which would then lead to a goal?
There’s so many situations that ended nowhere cause the balls kept bouncing off of Lukaku.
We wouldn't have had the greatest moment of last season (and maybe last several years) - the win over PSG in Champions League, without Lukaku's quick first goal. That said - yes, we should have sold him, but we also need a replacement and there is none in sight.

We should have also gotten rid of Matic in exchange for Nainggolan
Nainggolan is a chain-smoking, club-hopping, undisciplined mess. He is the last player we should have in the squad when what we are trying to build is discipline, hard work and unity. We are bringing young guys into the squad. What kind of example would Nainggolan be to youngsters? Matic should have been sold, but bringing Nainggolan would have been another kind of disaster.

RedCurry

Still can't believe those that tried hyping him up when some of us were questioning why we were signing such a useless footballer.
Still turned out better than the far more useless Madrid bench warmer others were hyping.

beingshe7don

We wouldn't have had the greatest moment of last season (and maybe last several years) - the win over PSG in Champions League, without Lukaku's quick first goal. That said - yes, we should have sold him, but we also need a replacement and there is none in sight.

Nainggolan is a chain-smoking, club-hopping, undisciplined mess. He is the last player we should have in the squad when what we are trying to build is discipline, hard work and unity. We are bringing young guys into the squad. What kind of example would Nainggolan be to youngsters? Matic should have been sold, but bringing Nainggolan would have been another kind of disaster.
I wasn't aware of the fact that he was a chain-smoker but either way, we should have gotten rid of Matic instead of Herrera. My first choice to replace Matic this summer was Thomas Partey anyway.

Code-CX

Good riddance. Mediocre striker with an over-inflated ego.

I honestly can't believe Inter are willing to pay that much for him.

Twingatz

He scored 25% of his goals over the two years in those first 8 weeks.

Despite all his technical failings, it’s been his attitude that’s shown him up to be a fraud. Will be forgotten almost instantly.
Fraud? He's Belgium's All time goalscorer and still has a 1 in 2 ratio here. He's not a fraud. Just didn't work out.

The hate some people have is funny.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Fraud? He's Belgium's All time goalscorer and still has a 1 in 2 ratio here. He's not a fraud. Just didn't work out.

And 80% of those goals have come from playing against cannon fodder teams. The guy is so lucky Beligum don't have a technicaly gifted striker
edit: Actually he's lucky Belgium don't have a half decent striker

Twingatz

Best of luck in Italy Rom, with the right service(something you never got @ United) you'll fill yer boots

This was the problem the whole time. He never got good service here. Our attack is a shambles and we'll get exposed next season for how crap it is without a proper striker. Martial is lazy and Rashford is Welbeck Mark 2. Pogba will carry us pretty much. But at least we have a better defense.....

Twingatz

And 80% of those goals have come from playing against cannon fodder teams. The guy is so lucky Beligum don't have a technicaly gifted striker
edit: Actually he's lucky Belgium don't have a half decent striker

Get out with that crap. He has over 100 PL goals and has scored over 15 goals 7 seasons in a row. You keep talking crap about him yet there isn't a better striker available on the market at the time of purchase than him. Also your hatred for the guy is vile, just pure vile. The other strikers in his national team are decent but they can't stack up to him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This was the problem the whole time. He never got good service here. Our attack is a shambles and we'll get exposed next season for how crap it is without a proper striker. Martial is lazy and Rashford is Welbeck Mark 2. Pogba will carry us pretty much. But at least we have a better defense.....
:lol:

fallengt

If Conte can unlock lukaku, good for him. Either way he won't be missed, just can't bring myself to like him.
Footballer with worst first touch I've seen in United shirt, that and his inflated ego.

204Red

I don't hate him, but I am very glad to see him go

What baffles me is how Juve could have actually wanted him

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I can understand the clubs reluctance to pay what Inter wanted for Ivan Perisic at the time considering his age(Shout out for Ed.), but he would have been ideal for Lukaku with a steady stream of crosses from the left or right wing, not sure Antonio Conte agrees with me though, certainly not in his outdated 3-5-2 any way.

A bit harsh on Rashford, still think if everything clicks for him he can be as good as anything out there.

minh_loc_xoay

I hope he bangs goals after goals in Italy.
Just so we can make sure we receive this full 12 millions add-on... :rolleyes:

Cloud7

Evra went on Instagram to defend Dybala. Evra has a poisonous history with Ed and he knows all about his garbage character
I’m pretty sure this is false as Evra and Woody were pictured many times this past season sitting next to each other at games, talking and laughing.

Nitewolf

Just a reminder that Belgium actually didn't exist in the national stage like this before this generation. So, it hardly an achievement. We're not not talking about Germany or Italy here.

I don't know about the hate. But Lukaku really lacks a lot of the basic abilities that we expect in a world class finisher, his technical abilities overall are poor when you compare him to all world class finishers. There is a reason why his goals in the national stage and in the EPL are always against weaker teams, cause in big games he doesn't find the space and time to adjust himself for proper control and quick play.

Lukaku is a decent finisher, but he is not a top class, and definitely not a player you can rely on to build for great success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.