g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The article that said Ronaldo was happy to see him come as he's so "selfless" with his hard work was incredible.

He can barely do his own running, let alone extra!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
At this point I'll just point out that 2 years ago Lukaku only had eyes for Chelsea, unfinished business and all that but ultimately didn't need all that much convincing to join us instead. Fast forward to now and he only had eyes for Inter and Conte, the best manager in the world and yet here we are with him about to sign for Juventus :lol:

SilverPaper on the Breeze

Can you envisage in your mind's eye what a peak Darren Bent would've been like if he overpaid for a gym membership and really wanted his money's worth? If so, you've just pictured Romelu Lukaku. TBF, Bent may have had a better first touch...

ChaddyP

So he grew fat instead of bulking up with muscles like he claimed?
I'm currently on a slow bulk diet. Gaining 0.5 pounds a week on average for about 6 months. You gain size mixed of muscle fat and water. And that's if you do it slow and clean. No way he grew much muscle in what seemed like 2 months of dirty bulking. Don't need massive muscles to be strong either. Was such a stupid thing to do

Dante

Average bang
I'm currently on a slow bulk diet. Gaining 0.5 pounds a week on average for about 6 months. You gain size mixed of muscle fat and water. And that's if you do it slow and clean. No way he grew much muscle in what seemed like 2 months of dirty bulking. Don't need massive muscles to be strong either. Was such a stupid thing to do
It was because of the World Cup.

He went into the tournament tired. As a result, he was afraid he'd lose some of his normal physical advantage. Given that his technique isn't good enough to compensate, he overdid it on mass building. The result was that his season at United was compromised by his lack of endurance.

I can see his logic for making that decision, but he obviously messed things up. I assume his prior experiences of bulking were only positive. The problem was that he took those precedents too far and fecked things up. I suppose he deserves criticism for doing what he did, but I can't begrudge him too much because his intentions were good.

Dante

Average bang
So he grew fat instead of bulking up with muscles like he claimed?

That image is of him in February. He was never fat. People love to jump on the meme-bandwagon about our players.

And we all know the memes I'm talking about. Jones, Young, Lingard, Valencia, Matic all have them. Not that any of those players are perfect - far from it. But the standard comments about them are mostly repetitions of what people hear from the Twitter crowd. If posters thought for themselves when they offered criticism, it wouldn't be so bad. In the case of Lukaku, they were unsurprisingly barking up the wrong tree.

ChaddyP

It was because of the World Cup.

He went into the tournament tired. As a result, he was afraid he'd lose some of his normal physical advantage. Given that his technique isn't good enough to compensate, he overdid it on mass building. The result was that his season at United was compromised by his lack of endurance.

I can see his logic for making that decision, but he obviously messed things up. I assume his prior experiences of bulking were only positive. The problem was that he took those precedents too far and fecked things up. I suppose he deserves criticism for doing what he did, but I can't begrudge him too much because his intentions were good.
"

Asked if he bulked up in the summer, Lukaku said: “A little bit of muscle, yeah. It was at the World Cup. I just felt great and I think I played great over there, and then when I came back it is a different type of style.”

While Lukaku scored four in six tournament appearances in Russia, plus twice in a friendly beforehand, he admitted the need to slim back down. “In the Premier League, I cannot play with the same amount of muscle as international football,” he said. “That was something that when I came back I knew straight away: ‘Nah, I cannot play in this style like this.’ I had to lose muscle basically. So you just stay out of the gym, drink a lot of water, and a lot of veg and fish and it helps.”

"

Dont recall him saying anything about being tired as the reason for bulking. And if you're tired putting on more mass isn't exactly the best idea.

For whatever reason he thinks going into international football you need some massive amount of muscle but in the epl he had to lose it. Then he goes on to say that to lose his muscle he stayed away from the gym and consumed fish and vegetables. What an odd concept. Why would u want to lose muscle. Lose weight fine. He could have went on a fat loss diet. He would still have lost a bit of muscle but would have lost mostly fat which is what he mostly put on anyway. It's just an odd thing To do for someone that should have the best coaches at his disposal.

DoomSlayer

That image is of him in February. He was never fat. People love to jump on the meme-bandwagon about our players.

And we all know the memes I'm talking about. Jones, Young, Lingard, Valencia, Matic all have them. Not that any of those players are perfect - far from it. But the standard comments about them are mostly repetitions of what people hear from the Twitter crowd. If posters thought for themselves when they offered criticism, it wouldn't be so bad. In the case of Lukaku, they were unsurprisingly barking up the wrong tree.
He was never literally fat, it's just a running joke, get over it. Lukaku is simply overweight though, this debate has been done to death already.

Bestietom

This swap deal is totally down to Dybala agreeing. If he doesn't want to come here, the deal is off. SSN

Dante

Average bang
"

Asked if he bulked up in the summer, Lukaku said: “A little bit of muscle, yeah. It was at the World Cup. I just felt great and I think I played great over there, and then when I came back it is a different type of style.”

While Lukaku scored four in six tournament appearances in Russia, plus twice in a friendly beforehand, he admitted the need to slim back down. “In the Premier League, I cannot play with the same amount of muscle as international football,” he said. “That was something that when I came back I knew straight away: ‘Nah, I cannot play in this style like this.’ I had to lose muscle basically. So you just stay out of the gym, drink a lot of water, and a lot of veg and fish and it helps.”

"

Dont recall him saying anything about being tired as the reason for bulking. And if you're tired putting on more mass isn't exactly the best idea.

For whatever reason he thinks going into international football you need some massive amount of muscle but in the epl he had to lose it. Then he goes on to say that to lose his muscle he stayed away from the gym and consumed fish and vegetables. What an odd concept. Why would u want to lose muscle. Lose weight fine. He could have went on a fat loss diet. He would still have lost a bit of muscle but would have lost mostly fat which is what he mostly put on anyway. It's just an odd thing To do for someone that should have the best coaches at his disposal.
The World Cup is a short tournament compared to the PL season, and Martinez plays a different style to Mourinho.

I think he did go on a weight loss diet, and that's why he was only 'fit' to play in short bursts at the end of matches. He didn't have the energy to run around for 90 minutes on top of having to carry extra mass.

It was a mistake for him to build mass. But he's a professional and a lifelong athlete. I don't buy the idea that he did it willy-nilly or out of laziness. It was just bad decision making.

Dante

Average bang
He was never literally fat, it's just a running joke, get over it. Lukaku is simply overweight though, this debate has been done to death already.
I'm a Manchester United fan, so I'll always jump to defend United players from insults. I'm sure you do the same for your team.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Unless he was on the "sin day", what kind of professional athlete eats that kind of food on regular basis? If he does, no wonder his intensity are bellow par.
I am sure other players at the table were also eating chips.

Rio did an interview when Moyes was sacked and explained that Moyes got rid of chips in the canteen which didn't go down well with the lads. So the players were allowed to eat chips under SAF and were still winning league titles.

SATA

He’s fat.

Alemar

This swap deal is totally down to Dybala agreeing. If he doesn't want to come here, the deal is off. SSN
Why do they put a negative connotation? Isn’t it better to say “if Dybala says yes, the swap is done”?

DoomSlayer

I'm a Manchester United fan, so I'll always jump to defend United players from insults. I'm sure you do the same for your team.
Nice subtle insult you made there but you still don't make sense in your comments, just like the rambling you did in the Dybala thread. :lol:

DoomSlayer

He’s a weird poster is what it is mate
Figured as much mate, I just don't get how a player like Lukaku has any fanboys, especially when we consider how much he has been mouthing off since around April, or using his agent to do the job for him.

ChaddyP

The World Cup is a short tournament compared to the PL season, and Martinez plays a different style to Mourinho.

I think he did go on a weight loss diet, and that's why he was only 'fit' to play in short bursts at the end of matches. He didn't have the energy to run around for 90 minutes on top of having to carry extra mass.

It was a mistake for him to build mass. But he's a professional and a lifelong athlete. I don't buy the idea that he did it willy-nilly or out of laziness. It was just bad decision making.

Oh I definitely agree there. And I was never if the opinion he was fat. Having been fat most of life he was never anywhere near what I considered fat or lazy. Just bad decision to gain weight as you said

Dante

Average bang
Figured as much mate, I just don't get how a player like Lukaku has any fanboys, especially when we consider how much he has been mouthing off since around April, or using his agent to do the job for him.
Your problem is that you look at the world through the lens of fanboys vs. haters.

It's possible to take a rational middle ground on most issues, where you try to consider all evidence as fairly as you can without presuming the outcome.

DoomSlayer

Your problem is that you look at the world through the lens of fanboys vs. haters.

It's possible to take a rational middle ground on most issues, where you try to consider all evidence as fairly as you can without presuming the outcome.
No, my problem is fans going overboard in defending their favourite players when they have already gone past the point of no return.

I used to desperately want Lukaku to succeed here - he is our 2nd biggest transfer in history after all - but after many of the stuff said to the media by him, he can feck off for all I care. Already had the same debate with someone else about fat vs overweight, and how excessive muscle can be detrimental to a player's football style. Not to mention that bulking in a short period of time without gaining fat is practically impossible, unless some sort of steroids are in use.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Look at dem Michelin Man rolls.

Red Star One

For some stupid reason I can't link the tweet with a photo of Lukaku attending our media day and taking photos in the new shirt. Can't see him leaving this summer.

Dante

Average bang
No, my problem is fans going overboard in defending their favourite players when they have already gone past the point of no return.

I used to desperately want Lukaku to succeed here - he is our 2nd biggest transfer in history after all - but after many of the stuff said to the media by him, he can feck off for all I care. Already had the same debate with someone else about fat vs overweight, and how excessive muscle can be detrimental to a player's football style. Not to mention that bulking in a short period of time without gaining fat is practically impossible, unless some sort of steroids are in use.
He's not my favourite.

Once again, your problem is looking at the world like it's full of fanboys and haters. Your post implies you used to love him and now you've given up on him.

My posts about Lukaku defend his good intentions, whilst simultaneously criticising him for adding mass. That's the middle ground. I don't go to the extremes you do.

I'm not fussed about Lukaku leaving in the slightest.

Zoo

For some stupid reason I can't link the tweet with a photo of Lukaku attending our media day and taking photos in the new shirt. Can't see him leaving this summer.
Contractual obligation. He’s behaving like a professional is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.