Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is surprising, especially considering that RVN was better in virtually every aspect of his game. Hold up play and first touch are light years apart.
Yet RNV scored the important goals. Lukuku doesn’t, he scored against Hull and the 3rd goal in a 3-0 win.

ExecutionerWasp001

He'll do well in the league due to it's slow pace. He will have a better chance of recovering the ball after his poor first touch. The league is a stroll for Juventus anyway, he could be worse than he was for us & still bang in 20 goals. The CL is the clubs current ambition though. I fully expect him to go AWOL as he does for most big games.

Camilo

Shame we can't manage to work one of the world's best strikers into our play, but I'm sure this will help our running around stats.

Check this stat out, from his supposed best season at Everton. Sorry for linking a Liverpool website but it was the only one I found, though I swear I saw the same article from many other sources but can't seem to find them.
Where would Everton be without Lukuku - in exactly the same position! He really doesn’t affect enough games.

Very interesting article - although it probably strengthens your view whatever perspective you have on Lukuku. The difference for Utd is that they can easily afford to replace Lukuku (either directly), or by spreading out the goals.

Johan07

Whatever will happen with Lukaku, it should be humble pie for a lot of posters on here saying he was not worth anything and that we would have give to him away to ge rid of him. Its not like Juve and Inter are shit clubs either.

mad1max954

Just a couple of comments taken from a Juv forum - I almost feel bad for them:

"Juventus - fattest club in the world."

'If we sign him, I hope he gets the worst possible treatment from the Ultras and fans for every fecked up pass, lost ball, or missed chance. feck this lumbering oaf - feck LolCackU. I'm not supporting this cnut.'

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I mean, both statements can be true. Our team is shit at generating chances AND many attacks die when the ball touches Lukaku's feet. It's a bad combination.
Many? Many, as in numerous? No.

How can you say its a lie when we have all watched it with our own eyes. Lukaku has a shocking touch, of course that is going to impact chance creation.
Because I've watched our putrid attack with Lukaku on and off the field. If you think Lukaku had a significant impact on chance creation I have a bridge in Nebraska to sell you

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe not but you would think a club wouldn't appoint a manager who relies on his players being technically excellent just to force a technically incompetent footballer his way.

That would be like signing a 5ft 5 striker for a manager who bases his style around a target man.
Sarri is known to like Icardi, doubt he sees Lukaku as someone he can't work with

Djemba-Djemba

Juventus are completely dominant in Italy and there are very few really big games so he'll probably rack up the goals.

He'll be shite in the CL though which is what they're obsessed with.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just goes to show how misleading stats can be. They're miles apart. Absolutely miles.

Lukaku will do well for Juve. He's good as an option to hurt teams with. But that sort of weapon works better in a stronger and more settled team. We need all the footballers who don't aren't technically deficient that we can get. More players to aid and improve the quality of thet buildup.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Because I've watched our putrid attack with Lukaku on and off the field. If you think Lukaku had a significant impact on chance creation I have a bridge in Nebraska to sell you
Guess we will have to agree to disagree then because I think we look considerably more fluid and mobile when Lukaku is on the bench as showcased by our best performances post Fergie when Solskjaer came in and dropped him. What you have to realise with Lukaku is that he is incapable (or very very rarely capable) of producing his own chances in the same way that a Rashford, Martial or even Greenwood are capable of. You look at all the top striker, Aguero, Kane, Van Persie and they could pull off the sublime regularly. Lukaku's first touch never allows him that opportunity to gain the half a yard needed to turn a half chance into a good chance. I believe despite people defending him, he's the worst striker I have seen feature regularly at Utd which is why if this Dybala deal comes off it will be a dream come true. I've had several friends message me today who support other clubs saying this could be the deal of the century for Utd.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Shame we can't manage to work one of the world's best strikers into our play, but I'm sure this will help our running around stats.
Please help me understand how Lukaku is one of the worlds best strikers or is this just an attempt to Wum?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Juventus are such a strange destination. When you have Ronaldo, the best finisher in football, buying Lukaku whose overall play is rather average makes no sense. The only way you can justify having Lukaku as your striker is if you can put mobile players around him and your goal is to feed him the passes and have him score. Problem is, you already have a player who does that at a much, much higher level.

Handré1990

Well this is a first. Can’t remember us having a bidding war for any of our players since I started following United. When it’s seemingly happening, it’s over Romelu Lukaku. We certainly live in interesting times.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There are a lot of metrics that stats cannot show. How many big chances has Lukaku missed by mistiming his header? I have never seen a striker mis-time their header as much as this guy.

flappyjay

Where would Everton be without Lukuku - in exactly the same position! He really doesn’t affect enough games.

Very interesting article - although it probably strengthens your view whatever perspective you have on Lukuku. The difference for Utd is that they can easily afford to replace Lukuku (either directly), or by spreading out the goals.
I think the stat is rubbish. If someone scores the first goal and lukaku scores the 2nd and match ends 2-0 it doesn't make Lukaku’s goal useless. The team overall is more calm in the last 10 minutes if they are not thinking of a potential draw if they let one in. His goals may have not been the actual game winners but they played a part in securing the 3 points

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Check this stat out, from his supposed best season at Everton. Sorry for linking a Liverpool website but it was the only one I found, though I swear I saw the same article from many other sources but can't seem to find them.
His goals won many points but the gap between teams above and below Everton was too much. It's a nothing article and TBH it's very poor, lacks context and dumb.

flappyjay

Juventus are such a strange destination. When you have Ronaldo, the best finisher in football, buying Lukaku whose overall play is rather average makes no sense. The only way you can justify having Lukaku as your striker is if you can put mobile players around him and your goal is to feed him the passes and have him score. Problem is, you already have a player who does that at a much, much higher level.
True but Ronaldo is never the focal point he roams around the number 9 currently that guy is Mandzukic. He was partnering cr7 last season and he got 7 league goals maybe lukaku is seen as the guy who could do it whilst scoring more. Icardi seemed like first option but I guess they decided against his baggage.

That is surprising, especially considering that RVN was better in virtually every aspect of his game. Hold up play and first touch are light years apart.
Strikers are scoring more goals across the board these days. Just the way football has gone.

Plus, Lukaku was a very good striker when he was 10kg lighter at Everton. You dont score at the rate he did for nothing.

Lavanda

I think all this Lukaku to Juve thing is a plot to force Inter to sell Icardi to Juventus. From my understanding, Inter is quite reluctant in selling Icardi to Juve and would much rather sell him to Napoli. I just don't see Lukaku a good fit for Sarri's style of play.

Irwin99

Strikers are scoring more goals across the board these days. Just the way football has gone.

Plus, Lukaku was a very good striker when he was 10kg lighter at Everton. You dont score at the rate he did for nothing.
Yep. I’ve always rated him as a ‘good’ player and not the benteke, Andy Carroll lump some would have you believe he is (I mean look at his goal record compared to those players) but he just isn’t anywhere near Ruud’s overall level. I don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is to be honest.

Lukaku will get goals for Juve and will probably finish his Belgium career with an exceptional 70-80 goals. I do think however it could backfire for him in Italy when fans see that infamous first touch and if he doesn’t lose a bit of that excess muscle. Also he got absolutely wrecked by Juve’s defenders last year, their fans can’t have been very impressed by that performance. He could struggle to win them over.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think all this Lukaku to Juve thing is a plot to force Inter to sell Icardi to Juventus. From my understanding, Inter is quite reluctant in selling Icardi to Juve and would much rather sell him to Napoli. I just don't see Lukaku a good fit for Sarri's style of play.
Definitely don't think Juventus really want him. It's all a weird game to get inter to pay more.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Are they? Van nistelrooy scored 40+ a couple of times for us.
Noone has got within 10 in a decade.
The defences are crapper though for sure. Plus more rule changes to help attackers.

Only in say gary linekers day, you were offside if level and defenders could smash through the back of you

Status
Not open for further replies.