Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
He's not central to how Ole wants his teams to play. Lukaku does not have many suitors to create an auction. I'd take 60 Million with 10 Million on easy add-ons and give kids a chance and see how it goes for a season.
Yeah. We need to shift him. I think the club would take a fee in the 65 million range if they got more of it up front.

WPMUFC

at this point, do we care if it's a bad offer? He's not going to start and if Mason keeps up his form, lukaku is probably 4th choice under an Ole system?

It looks like the market for lukaku is Inter or basically any team that conte manages, no one else is even sniffing around. Cut losses and take the hit on the chin.

Ballist1x

The up front part of the fee is bit of a misnomer.

As long as they are guaranteed amounts and not all performance dependant. The way its accounted for will be on an accrual basis.

W would take £20m + £20m + £20m over 3 years plus a lesser amount based upon goals scored or champions league qualification etc.

It gets him off the books, along with his wages. Most clubs who would want to buy him cant afford £70m up front anyway so it's an impossibility.

Ralph1386

at this point, do we care if it's a bad offer? He's not going to start and if Mason keeps up his form, lukaku is probably 4th choice under an Ole system?

It looks like the market for lukaku is Inter or basically any team that conte manages, no one else is even sniffing around. Cut losses and take the hit on the chin.
I agree with you. We could do with whatever Inter would pay us up front. We can't expect him to be sold for what we bought him for.

Patrick08

It's a myth he's worth 20 goals a season, he's done it once for Everton.

He ruins the pattern of play and after watching the way Ole has set the team up so far in preseason he doesn't fit in, he's shattered after a sprint.
It's great that Ole is trying to play high press high movement football from the get go this season and demanding high work rate from players, but we only have the first 11 which will suit that kind of football, the bench have players like Mata Matic Young, Jones To come on and that kind of football won't be sustainable through out the season for whole of 90 mins with us expected to play around 50plus games next season. Injuries, Form fitness lots of variables which matter in this regard, so you can't expect a forward line to press high and midfielders Like them to match that in the middle when those bench guys have to play, and neither the forwards like Rashford James and Lingard can afford to do it every game for 90mins. That's where we will have to play more conservatively and play on the counter and without replacing him it will hurt our team. Replacing him with a right winger may be an option.

Apart from inter Chelsea might be an option for him.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
They played hard ball with Perisic last summer and we dont need to sell him.

Im also fed up with City & Chelsea getting big fees for their players and we get peanuts (berbatov, nani, welbeck, rafa )

Rinse them

zenith

Im also fed up with City & Chelsea getting big fees for their players and we get peanuts (berbatov, nani, welbeck, rafa )

Rinse them
Exactly that whole perisic drama is still fresh in my mind, in the way that they refused to negotiate at even 5 million.

Inter can get lost with their low ball offer and lukaku will be a more than useful option off the bench.

Given Conte's obsession with lukaku, he'll likely still want him next year

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Exactly that whole perisic drama is still fresh in my mind, in the way that they refused to negotiate at even 5 million.

Inter can get lost with their low ball offer and lukaku will be a more than useful option off the bench.

Given Conte's obsession with lukaku, he'll likely still want him next year
Its obvious Inter just dont have the money we want so either move on and get him ready for the new season or tell them we want 75 million up front or dont submit another offer

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am eager to see him sold but understand the club's pov. We look like mugs if we sell Lukaku for €60m and buy Maguire for €90m. That is what Chelsea got for Morata ffs.

IrishRedDevil

Rinse them
£16m for Welbeck at the time was grand. Agree with the rest, though.

Chelsea got £48.6m for Morata and he was a total flop. Lukaku is easily worth another £20-25m.

IrishRedDevil

Holding an Inter shirt :lol: what a big baby.

I suggest he picks the phone up and tells them to offer more than a derisory £54m, if they really rate and want him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is the shirt thing, true?

It's one of the strangest saga that I have seen, players are rarely that blatant and people rarely react with that much apathy.

Traub

Don’t players get 10% of the transfer fee?
If Lukaku is so adamant, why doesn’t he hand in a transfer request, and then Inter get £7.5m off.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I remember when people thought Lukaku was more professional than Pogba

peridigm

I am eager to see him sold but understand the club's pov. We look like mugs if we sell Lukaku for €60m and buy Maguire for €90m. That is what Chelsea got for Morata ffs.
I don’t see the relationship between selling a striker and buying a defender. One is deemed expendable, the other is needed.

crossy1686

career ending
Think the main issue with selling Lukaku is what it will cost to bring someone else in to replace him.

We’ve also got to send a message that we won’t be bullied by players, agents or other clubs. Expecting him to be here after the window closes unless we get a big offer in the final few days. We’re under no pressure to sell right now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don’t see the relationship between selling a striker and buying a defender. One is deemed expendable, the other is needed.
We have a valuation for Lukaku, if it isn't met he stays as backup striker. He scored goals under Ole last season

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Is the shirt thing for real?

Honestly, it doesn't seem like anyone else wants him. Why don't we work out a payment plan? 90M euros over 3 years or something?

Shaidabdullah Hussain

That’s an asshole move if true.

Never liked him as a player. One dimensional, flat track bully whose movement isn’t good enough for him to excel at it.

He is an old fashion style of player, the likes of whom are dying out as football develops.

TN61

Supports
Inter
Inter fan here. We've been heavily linked to Lukaku lately, much to the chagrin of our fanbase. I'll be upfront: hardly any Inter fans I know/communicate with online want Lukaku, especially for the reported prices of 70 million+ Euros. Our new owners are quite wealthy and we've been freed from any FFP obligations, so in theory we have money to spend. How much money our owners are willing to spend remains to be seen.

Part of the problem of why we're dragging our feet on Lukaku is the Icardi situation. I won't bore you with the details, but it doesn't make much sense to buy Lukaku before we sell Icardi or else we'll lose all leverage on an Icardi sale.

It sounds like you guys are content keeping Lukaku on your bench this year if you cannot sell him, but I think our management is trying to call your bluff on this. Would you rather have 60 million Euros or an unhappy, benched striker who doesn't fit your manager's tactics? That's the game my team's ownership is playing right now. You obviously have more money than we do, so you can afford to keep him. I respect the negotiation process that is unfolding and am intrigued to see where it ends. The fact no one else seemingly wants him is in our favour.

Would appreciate any thoughts you guys have on Lukaku. It sounds like he's been a total bust and you would simply be dumping your trash on us. I'm also unconvinced that Lukaku has the characteristics necessary to succeed in Italian football.

Reactions: Raoul

clarkydaz

Inter fan here. We've been heavily linked to Lukaku lately, much to the chagrin of our fanbase. I'll be upfront: hardly any Inter fans I know/communicate with online want Lukaku, especially for the reported prices of 70 million+ Euros. Our new owners are quite wealthy and we've been freed from any FFP obligations, so in theory we have money to spend. How much money our owners are willing to spend remains to be seen.

Part of the problem of why we're dragging our feet on Lukaku is the Icardi situation. I won't bore you with the details, but it doesn't make much sense to buy Lukaku before we sell Icardi or else we'll lose all leverage on an Icardi sale.

It sounds like you guys are content keeping Lukaku on your bench this year if you cannot sell him, but I think our management is trying to call your bluff on this. Would you rather have 60 million Euros or an unhappy, benched striker who doesn't fit your manager's tactics? That's the game my team's ownership is playing right now. You obviously have more money than we do, so you can afford to keep him. I respect the negotiation process that is unfolding and am intrigued to see where it ends. The fact no one else seemingly wants him is in our favour.

Would appreciate any thoughts you guys have on Lukaku. It sounds like he's been a total bust and you would simply be dumping your trash on us. I'm also unconvinced that Lukaku has the characteristics necessary to succeed in Italian football.
he doesn't fit for the way we play, and doesn't make anything for himself. that's why Mourinho wanted Perisic a few years back.

Conte really likes him, so must know how to get the best out of him. We overpaid for him (as usual) and are expecting to get more back than he is worth. As you say, no other teams seem interested in him doesn't really help united haggling on price

ManchesterYoda

I wish people would stop saying we need a replacement for Lukaku. The whole point of selling him is because he doesn't fit into the team. We are changing our attack from one that is completely unbalanced with a target man to one that is balanced with no target man. I hope to Christ we are anyway.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

If you need a miracle worker in front of goal he's not the one. If you generate enough chances he'll stick them away.

settembrini

Lukaku isn't trash. He's a good striker who would do great in Italy.

United aren't really desperate to dump him, that's why they have rejected Inter's offers. Lukaku just wants to leave because he's not first choice anymore.

GM K

This line of thought is utterly crazy

a- No one gives a flying feck how much we spent on AWB. Apart maybe Leicester fans.
b- we bought AWB on mostly potential. By the looks of it, he's worth every penny as he does have all the skillset to become a top top RB. You can't say the same about Lukaku and Maguire both of whom have clear flaws in their game that won't allow them to become WC.
Lukaku is not World Class? I disagree. Maybe the problem is my more general definition of world class. This guy has consistently banged in goals since age 18 in different teams and for different managers. Isn't he Belgium's all time highest goal scorer and isn't he in the EPL's top 20 goal scorers?

I don't think it is fair to isolate Lukaku for a poor season and a generally inconsistent time at United. The same can be said of most of our other 'top' players - Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Matic etc. Either these boys are over rated or something is wrong at the club.

Having said this, I have a rule: if a player does not want to stay at United, by all means, sell him!

Lukaku is not World Class? I disagree. Maybe the problem is my more general definition of world class. This guy has consistently banged in goals since age 18 in different teams and for different managers. Isn't he Belgium's all time highest goal scorer and isn't he in the EPL's top 20 goal scorers?

I don't think it is fair to isolate Lukaku for a poor season and a generally inconsistent time at United. The same can be said of most of our other 'top' players - Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Matic etc. Either these boys are over rated or something is wrong at the club.

Having said this, I have a rule: if a player does not want to stay at United, by all means, sell him!
You think Lukuku is World Class?! Are you being serious.

I don’t want to get into a debate over how someone is considered World Class, but it has to be along the lines of being one of the better players in the world...

Let’s be frank, there is no top club that wants Lukuku, he’s not a top player by any barometer. He’s had one average season at Utd and one poor one, he’s only ever scored 20+ league goals once in his career, has scored 1 goal in 23 attempts against the top 6 at United and didn’t score a single goal last season against the top 10 in the PL.

Have you ever seen a World Class striker who is knackered after 15 mins?

Him leaving Utd has been prompted by the fact that OGS has told him he’s not good enough to be a first team player - however, the way he’s been conducting himself has been incredibly poor.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

He's really not WC. His workrate is meah, his first touch is horrendous and his finishing is nowhere near to the likes of Kane let alone the Shearers or RVNs. Coley was a way better player then he was and he was also not WC.

He is a decent striker IF you use him in a certain way which is why both Conte and Mourinho loved him. You wouldn't fit Lukaku at lets say City or Barcelona. He's simply not good enough.

marko goalo

The fact no other club is interested tells you he isn't world class, coupled with the Inter fan's earlier post suggesting most of those fans dont want him either.

Whilst I agree with other posters suggesting he's had poor service, when called upon to take the one chance that comes his way invariably he hasn't been clinical enough.

If he gets his dream move it'll be interesting to see if he does 'smash' it as some suggest he will do

Rajma

I keep repeating my stance...But as much as I don't like him it would be complete madness to let him go without bringing in a proper replacement.

arthurka

I keep repeating my stance...But as much as I don't like him it would be complete madness to let him go without bringing in a proper replacement.
Why? We are better off playing Greenwood the minutes he would be getting.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's proven to be such a baby. Talked a big game when Mourinho was around and he was first choice and playing despite underperforming for months.

Now that he doesn't have that invulnerability, he acts out and wants to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.