Lukaku vs other top strikers in the league

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I have compiled few stats from Premier league official website and squwka comparing last 2 seasons of Lukaku vs Kane and Aguero.

I considered last 2 seasons as I thought that gives more accurate stats than overall (as Lukaku and Kane were young players vs Aguero was at his peak)

Few interesting observations:
  • All 3 players' mins per Goals + assists is more or less same
  • Lukaku scored 8 goals in 22 games vs Top 6, which is a very good record considering he played for Everton
  • Lukaku scored in 42% of the games, his percentage would have been higher or even closer to other 2 had I excluded the games where they scored from penalties (couldn't find the stats), so Lukaku scoring goals in bursts is a common theme for any striker.
  • His injury record is excellent. Played in 74 out of 76 league games. 1 was unused sub and 1 was not in squad.
  • He has created most chances and most big chances than the other 2.
  • He is better dribbler than Kane.
  • Kane and Lukaku scored 12 and 11 goals from weaker foot which is a good record.
  • I excluded aerial duels in the stats, but Lukaku wins that won by a big margin.
  • Considering the strengths of the teams they played for, Lukaku's record is very good.
Their overall international records.

Last edited:

el3mel

Excellent work, mate. I appreciate what you did here.

Really encouraging stats, too. The number of chances created, dribbles and big games goals was somewhat a surprise for me.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Thanks for the analysis

Looks very very promising given ye delivered those stats at Everton and not a top club.

If he deliver a 20% increase in output because he is surrounded by better players (not unreasonable) the he'll be an amazing success for us.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
Is there a mistake in the goal tallies for Kane somewhere? 54 goals less 10 goals for penalties would be 44 goals (not 46), right? Not a big deal, but it makes Lukaku closer to Kane in that category as well.

crackers0seven

That's very interesting viewing. Shocked to see only two pens for lukaku and also shocked that he's top of assist's and joint top against top six. Hopefully with better players around him he can improve on them stats. Really thought Kane would have a lot more assists consider he seems to get involved in play a lot more than lukaku and is considered a better all round player.

roonster09

Scout
Is there a mistake in the goal tallies for Kane somewhere? 54 goals less 10 goals for penalties would be 44 goals (not 46), right? Not a big deal, but it makes Lukaku closer to Kane in that category as well.
Thanks for pointing it out. Will correct it

will7285

Great analysis!
Really surprised to see his record against the top 6 also having the most assists and most chances crated compared to the other two especially playing for Everton very encouraging stats with him being 24 he still has time to improve. Now even more excited to see how he will do under us.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Good work man! It does help putting things back into perspective, we've bought a very good striker. The only reservations are related to his style of play but Mourinho always like these strong players up front.

barmyarmy

Brilliant work mate. I saw him play only against united and the Belgium game at euros and didn't have good impression from those. Looking at those stats it looks we have done an amazing job in signing him, the most important thing he counts as a homegrown with Rooney leaving. With more creative players around him I think his stats will look even better:drool:

Last edited:

Red_toad

If he has a better conversion rate than Ibra, he's going to score a heck of a lot of goals for us. That'll be his most important stat next season.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Well this just shows how ridiculously underrated the guy is on the Caf.

Reading this board, the mass would make one think that Lukaku is utterly useless beside scoring goals yet when the numbers come out, he's actually more productive than the other leagues top strikers when we're not only talking purely about goals. Registering more assists is just all the proof some needed.

Then another wide and out of control myth about him has been debunked. Seems the guy is actually very good against Top sides and bangs in the goals. One quick visit on the Caf and you have the majority telling you he's simply a flat track bully and doesn't do it against Top teams(this criticism seems to get directed at almost every single top players despite it mostly being myth and untrue most of the time).

So my question is, why is there this perception which seems to be a strong concensus around these boards that he only scores while being useless at everything else when in truth with hard number proof, he's actually one of, if not the most productive top striker in the league outside goals.

I mean the contrast between reality (Lukaku being productive and a beast outside just scoring) and this perpetrated myth(Lukaku is only good at scoring) is quite vast. So how did this myth came to land such strong credibility in the minds of so many?

Serious question, I'd like an answer to.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
If he has a better conversion rate than Ibra, he's going to score a heck of a lot of goals for us. That'll be his most important stat next season.
This is the most important part to take away. I know some people get a bit upset when this get brought up about Ibra conversion rate but the truth of the matter is that he was very wasteful last season. And no, not just " all strikers miss sometimes" but beyond that level of wastefulness.

With Lukaku having a better conversion rate(and frankly I don't see him being as wasteful as Ibra), this bodes well for our team especially with the amount of chances we're able to create(well if we exclude our last 2 months of the season where we just went to crap and unable to even create half decent chances).

finndt

This. Ibra bottled a great number of chances.

It's very difficult to guess how he'll fit in. If he does he will bang 30+.

At least in him we have a player whose role is clear. We don't have to debate and analyze how mou should use him.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
This is the most important part to take away. I know some people get a bit upset when this get brought up about Ibra conversion rate but the truth of the matter is that he was very wasteful last season. And no, not just " all strikers miss sometimes" but beyond that level of wastefulness.

With Lukaku having a better conversion rate(and frankly I don't see him being as wasteful as Ibra), this bodes well for our team especially with the amount of chances we're able to create(well if we exclude our last 2 months of the season where we just went to crap and unable to even create half decent chances).
Lukaku PL shot and goal stats last few years:

16-17: 25 goals, 110 shots. 23%
15-16: 18 goals, 118 shots. 15%
14-15: 10 goals, 105 shots. 10%
13-14: 15 goals, 98 shots. 15%

Ibra last year scored 17 of 116 shots, or 15%.

Basically, Lukaku has been a fairly mediocre finisher throughout his career until last year, when his conversion rate jumped a lot. A big question - one that could make or break this signing in the long run - is whether that jump represented real skill improvement or just statistical noise. If the former, you've got a heck of a striker. If the latter, you've got last year's Ibra as a finisher but without the same ability to bring others into play.

flappyjay

Isn't he supposed to be just a good goal scorer with a low football iq? Chances created say different about him

roonster09

Scout
Lukaku PL shot and goal stats last few years:

16-17: 25 goals, 110 shots. 23%
15-16: 18 goals, 118 shots. 15%
14-15: 10 goals, 105 shots. 10%
13-14: 15 goals, 98 shots. 15%

Ibra last year scored 17 of 116 shots, or 15%.

Basically, Lukaku has been a fairly mediocre finisher throughout his career until last year, when his conversion rate jumped a lot. A big question - one that could make or break this signing in the long run - is whether that jump represented real skill improvement or just statistical noise. If the former, you've got a heck of a striker. If the latter, you've got last year's Ibra as a finisher but without the same ability to bring others into play.
Number of shots won't prove whether the player is better finisher, you should analyze from where the shots were taken and how tight the angle was or how crowed box was and so many factors. You have to watch and rate, it's impossible to rate using stats.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Surprised by the chances created stat!

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Number of shots won't prove whether the player is better finisher, you should analyze from where the shots were taken and how tight the angle was or how crowed box was and so many factors. You have to watch and rate, it's impossible to rate using stats.
That's true and there are xG stats for players that can do this. But the raw numbers at least give you an informative baseline that is better than nothing. If you think these particular raw numbers are deceptive, then dig up the more advanced numbers and tell me why.

roonster09

Scout
That's true and there are xG stats for players that can do this. But the raw numbers at least give you an informative baseline that is better than nothing. If you think these particular raw numbers are deceptive, then dig up the more advanced numbers and tell me why.
And? You want me to serve you wine also?

roonster09

Scout
You're the one who brought up the issue. So actually do some research and contribute meaningfully to the discussion.
It was you who posted number of shots to prove about finishing, why would I bother to search for stats? It's obvious number of shots taken proves absolutely nothing, so your initial point is wrong and it's not on me to dig up more stats.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Hmm, I think I've been too harsh on Lukaku as I've criticized him in the past 2 years. He ticks so many boxes: young, clinical, pace&power, international, proven in the league, similar goalscoring stats compared to other top strikers etc etc etc.

Havak

Pokemon master
This is why it amazes me that people think this is a below par Man Utd signing. He is comfortably in the top three strikers in the Premier League and probably top five in the last 3-4 seasons as well. I think he'll improve a bit more playing for us also. It's very rare that we go and pluck the absolute top striker in the League from another team. Lukaku ticks all the boxes and was the easiest to purchase at what will probably turn out to be a decent fee (in this market). Fully expect him to replace Zlatan's contributions at minimum.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
He is better dribbler than Kane.
You can't argue this point based on those stats. In my view you're a better dribbler if you have a higher percentage of completed dribbles than the other. Raw numbers could hide the fact he might try to dribble ten more times per game than Kane.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Good work.

Encouraged by the chances missed and woodwork stats, those two things were our nemesis last year.

roonster09

Scout
You can't argue this point based on those stats. In my view you're a better dribbler if you have a higher percentage of completed dribbles than the other. Raw numbers could hide the fact he might try to dribble ten more times per game than Kane.
Lukaku dribble success rate:
2016-17: 66.67%
2015-16: 53.25%

Kane's success rate:
2016-17: 50%
2015-16: 50.53%

So Lukaku has completed more dribbles and also with much higher success rate.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
It was you who posted number of shots to prove about finishing, why would I bother to search for stats? It's obvious number of shots taken proves absolutely nothing, so your initial point is wrong and it's not on me to dig up more stats.
Goal conversion rate proves nothing but raw goals scored - such as what you posted originally - proves something?

What if one player took 100 shots to score 10 goals and another player took 20 shots to score 10 goals? That would be useless information?

You started a nice thread but this line of argument is just crazy.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Lukaku dribble success rate:
2016-17: 66.67%
2015-16: 53.25%

Kane's success rate:
2016-17: 50%
2015-16: 50.53%

So Lukaku has completed more dribbles and also with much higher success rate.
Good. I wasn't saying Kane was better, to be clear. Just that you'd need to give a bit more information to convince me.
Cheers.

roonster09

Scout
Goal conversion rate proves nothing but raw goals scored - such as what you posted originally - proves something?

What if one player took 100 shots to score 10 goals and another player took 20 shots to score 10 goals? That would be useless information?

You started a nice thread but this line of argument is just crazy.
My initial point was the shots takes won't prove the finishing ability as players like Ibra, Ronaldo keep shooting from ridiculous angles and distance whereas players like Hernandez, RVN,Icardi never shoots from outside the box.

EyeInTheSky

I have compiled few stats from Premier league official website and squwka comparing last 2 seasons of Lukaku vs Kane and Aguero.

I would definitely include the Aerial duals mate they are basic traits a striker should have (winning headers) Also I saw a stat about which foot they scored with and also how many headed goals. I think its useful if you can be bothered.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
What is "chances created"? Is passing sideways to someone who then runs towards the box and hits the ball terribly at the keeper - a chance created?
What is "dribbles completed" When is a dribble completed?

If you run past someone but then lose the ball to the next guy who tackles you, is it a dribble completed?

Ferguson

I'm trying to decide why I'm not excited about Lukaku, and I think it is because of overfamiliarity.

We've seen him go through growing pains and even struggle and get frustrated for Belgium or Everton. Whereas Kane and Aguero burst on the scene for me, and Morata was wonderful at Juve.

For me Lukaku is a known quantity, not a new discovery, so the excitement won't be the same level as some of our other signings. But I'm interested to see how he will perform in a better side with better players giving him service, and I think he has real pace when he wants to use it, unlike Ibra/Rooney/Van Persie/Falcao in recent years.

Mourinho's moves in the transfer market have been the right ones. He hasn't put a foot wrong.

Infra-red

What is "chances created"? Is passing sideways to someone who then runs towards the box and hits the ball terribly at the keeper - a chance created?
What is "dribbles completed" When is a dribble completed?

If you run past someone but then lose the ball to the next guy who tackles you, is it a dribble completed?
Keypass – A pass that leads to a shot on goal that is not converted.
Assist – A pass that leads directly to a goal.
Chance created – A pass that leads to a shot on goal (chances created = key passes + assists).

Dribble (Successful Dribble) - Taking on an opponent and successfully making it past them whilst retaining the ball. If you take on 4 players, make it past three of them but are tackled by the 4th, that would be recorded as 3 successful dribbles.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Keypass – A pass that leads to a shot on goal that is not converted.
Assist – A pass that leads directly to a goal.
Chance created – A pass that leads to a shot on goal (chances created = key passes + assists).

Dribble (Successful Dribble) - Taking on an opponent and successfully making it past them whilst retaining the ball
So basically as I thought, made up stats that can't be trusted.