Squad Number: #23
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2027
Date of Last Contract Extension: Apr 4, 2023
Outfitter: Adidas​

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Preferred him as LCB than LB last season. He was solid but nowhere near as good as he was a few seasons ago. And we will really need that to compete against Arsenal and City.

Dalot and AWB can be slightly above average at their bests.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Our longest serving first team player currently. Hope he has a great season!
Who is our second longest serving player? Is it Rashford?

Edit: I think it's Martial.

Golden Nugget

Best shape I’ve ever seen him. I was wondering why Jordan Henderson was on my IG feed

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Has he been at Klopp's dentist?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It feels like there's a photo of Shaw like this that does the rounds on social media every summer where he looks nothing like himself
Then first game of the season looks like the glorious little fatty that we know and love :drool:

criticalanalysis

Then first game of the season looks like the glorious little fatty that we know and love :drool:
I know all this weight thing is all tongue in cheek but it's seems to be true. We see pics of him being looking slightly chubbs, then looking good then when the season starts he has a slow start and looks 'unfit' again. It happened last season and why Malacia coming in was a breath of fresh air.

I hope it doesn't happen again.

IrishRedDevil

I know all this weight thing is all tongue in cheek but it's seems to be true. We see pics of him being looking slightly chubbs, then looking good then when the season starts he has a slow start and looks 'unfit' again. It happened last season and why Malacia coming in was a breath of fresh air.

And yet, he’s still one of the strongest and fastest players in the league.

criticalanalysis

And yet, he’s still one of the strongest and fastest players in the league.
That can be true and it can also be true that it doesn't mean anything in footballing terms. If you're not switched on or have match fitness/rhythm then you will see performances such as was the case in the first two games of the season last year.

My original point wasn't meant to be a deep criticism but more of an observation that I've noticed.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

It’s what makes him a cult hero. Like Scholes was the asthmatic ginner who ruled the world, Shaw is the little chunker who simply can’t resist a 4th trip to the buffet….he’s so easily identifiable with

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Looking forward to seeing his link up play with Rashford and Mount down the left side.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Saka is a magnificent right winger but for me I'm a bit concerned about his one-on-one defending. He stands off a bit too much and was beaten very easily.

In possession his game is top but it was disappointing to see him getting torn apart at some stages of the game.

criticalanalysis

Saka is a magnificent right winger but for me I'm a bit concerned about his one-on-one defending. He stands off a bit too much and was beaten very easily.

In possession his game is top but was disappointing to see him getting torn apart at some stages of the game.
Happened at the Emirates too. Just stands off far too much and doesn't jostle/get tighter. There's a fine line where you can over commit but he's goes backwards Lindelof style. Very frustrating to watch when we know he can do so much better.

To be fair to him, he was isolated a lot but it's still a poor individual showing from him in that aspect in 1-on-1s.

Blood Mage

He was quietly incredible last season apart from one very dodgy performance against Liverpool in the 7-0. What gives me comfort is that when his pace leaves him he can easily play as a CB.

marktan

Saka is probably the best LW in the world currently, definitely the best young one. No shame looking poor against him.

Howl

In possession his game is top but it was disappointing to see him getting torn apart at some stages of the game.
You don't necessarily want to get tight to players like Saka though, if you stand off him and try to marshal it helps alleviate the issue of him beating you 1v1 which is more dangerous than him crossing the ball.

Unlikely lad

You do wonder how much their relationship comes into play. There’s almost a deference when Shaw squares up to Saka

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Saka is probably the best LW in the world currently, definitely the best young one. No shame looking poor against him.
Its crazy that some people never rate AWB - he literally keeps Mbappe, Neymar, Mitoma, Saint maximin, Mane, Grealish, Sterling all quiet with ease.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife

That’s a flaw to his game and it’s always there against specific players. It always feels like he is trying to make sure, he doesn’t get humiliated. Funnily it just leaves him more exposed.
Don’t think Saka had an outstanding game but I expected their match up to play out like it did.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
You don't necessarily want to get tight to players like Saka though, if you stand off him and try to marshal it helps alleviate the issue of him beating you 1v1 which is more dangerous than him crossing the ball.
I think I disagree with you on this. Obviously there is a fine balance of when to get tight but it’s a thing Shaw’s been doing against a particular type of players for years now. Luckily for us it’s not that many of them around in the premiership apart from Saka, Mahrez, Salah and Sterling. That’s 8 games out of 38.

Idxomer

I think I disagree with you on this. Obviously there is a fine balance of when to get tight but it’s a thing Shaw’s been doing against a particular type of players for years now. Luckily for us it’s not that many of them around in the premiership apart from Saka, Mahrez, Salah and Sterling. That’s 8 games out of 38.
I don't know, it seems to be much worse against Saka. Shaw can be pretty physical and he needs to use that with him and stop this backing off crap.

criticalanalysis

That’s a flaw to his game and it’s always there against specific players. It always feels like he is trying to make sure, he doesn’t get humiliated. Funnily it just leaves him more exposed.
Don’t think Saka had an outstanding game but I expected their match up to play out like it did.
Agree.

Yes it's annoying because we've seen it developed and get exposed for some time now. It's his kryptonite and like what Lennon to Evra was.

I still think he can mitigate and do better but maybe we just have to accept he's not going to change now.

Dve

A bit underwhelming pre-season from Shaw so far, so let's hope he's not on to his good-every-second-season rutine. I think he'l have a good one, though, just having a tiny worry.