Luke Shaw interview post Wolves defeat

wolvored

Losing by a big margin doesn't mean the team has downed tools though. It was a mess in the end but the players all seemed to like Ole, some for the wrong reasons but there will have been a lot of players who felt very strongly about him losing his job.

Especially with Carrick remaining behind for a while, I'm sure he let a few know who weren't pulling their weight before he left, a big upheaval/change like this can be a trigger.
We are as bad now as we were under OIe. This shows we could have Pep and most of these players would play shit. New midfielders in Jan would be a start as we cant play any worse.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I saw the interview and I don't think it was quite that big of a deal.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I dont think it was brutal on RR. The issue Utd have is the players know he is going as manager in Summer. Sancho plays the ball inside, lacking confidence, at Dortmund he takes two players on and in most cases succeeds. Before the game Redknapp is playing down the importance of the captain in modern day football, I would say that's one of the root causes at United, no clear leadership or standards.

allen7

It’s clear to see. Inflated wage packet, individual records, higher egos, no passion from the players all started way back from mourinho.
I hope the next rebuild goes well and hope for a long term success.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Really good interview. Seems like a really nice bloke and the praise for Phil Jones seemed so weird but also so welcome.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yeah In the first half Shaw was exposed quite a few times because of it, guy had the right wing to himself
Surely though the video analysis team could have highlighted to Rangnick that this is how Wolves play and then he would adjust the formation and tactics to counter this. Before the game not during it.

Unless wolves themselves changed how they play. I dont know i dont watch wolves.

Bobski

Yup this is it, that midfield has got us where we are.
Sometimes decent, most the time not. It’s a shame Pogba is such a tosser because when he is on form he changes our midfield completely
The midfield is a problem, but there is a chronic lack of desire and intensity from our attacking players that is so blatantly an issue.

NoLogo

He said, “more ideas” - this is totally acceptable. He suggested the manager of only a few weeks could offer more ideas regarding a new system the team have been asked to play and you’re judging his attitude!?
Dude the OP clearly said something different, read his post. I was reacting to that. I hadn't seen the interview until UnitedSofa actually posted it. I fell for fake new, my bad.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Is this Luke's Roy Keane moment. :nervous: :nervous:
We had saf to show that the manager is the boss and not the player no matter how big he is.

The fans have been backing the players when its clear that the players are downing tools to get managers sacked.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
As far as I’m concerned you’re either in the tent pissing out or outside the tent pissing in, and the latter group of players need to change their attitude or feck off.

The work rate today was appalling, Wolves looked like they had two extra players. But what do we expect with players so far out of form (Bruno, Rashford) and such a lame midfield? The idea of playing 4 forwards is stupid too and that needs to be sorted out as we are completely unbalanced.
Yea especially in MF. They were winning all the 50/50s. We couldnt put a pass together in MF.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Agreed, sky even had the quote “maybe the manager can bring some ideas” but Luke actually said “more ideas”. Subtle omission but changes the feel of the message.
Correct.
As far as I understood it from his interview, there was no evidence of any form of dig at the manager.
But some people don't listen. They just jump to silly conclusions to suit their own agenda.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Nothing wrong with what he said. The club hasn‘t banned interviews and if he is being asked questions he can hardly say everything is fine after such a performance and result.
The players need to start performing again but playing Matic twice in a row when he only has legs for 30 minutes every 2 weeks and having 4 strikers on the pitch including two oldies is actually setting them up to fail. Fred should have come on and one of Ronaldo/Cavani should not have started either. A lot of mistakes today.

SER19

'the dressing room is split' is the final nail in the coffin of the softest, most pampered squad we've ever had.

Sheringham and Cole, Schmeichel and Keane and im sure plenty others, hated eachother. But they were winners first and foremost. Rashford is probably being told what kids book he has to pretend to like tomorrow

RUCK4444

We conceded 5 at home to Liverpool, 4 away to Leicester and then lost 4-1 to one of the worst sides in the league. There were definitely issues behind the scenes - I don’t think that issue was Ole ala Jose in that they hated him - but something has clearly gone very wrong since the Leeds game. That’s the most together and connected I’ve seen manager, team and fans since Fergie and it’s been pissed up the wall since. Half of them can barely be arsed to run - and when they do it’s in an individual look at me way when they have zero chance of getting the ball. We’re a fecking mess.
Of course it's going to be a mix of issues that cause a divide. The balance has been off all season and we've not been able to gain any consistency whatsoever so I'm sure that builds tension.

Perhaps I'm reading into it too much but we've seen players throw their toys out of the pram for all reasons and for all his faults the former manager was well liked by a lot of the players. I just think it will have at least heightened the tension and brought things to a head.

Since that token effort in the first half against Palace we haven't even run and put a shift in, the basics, none of it. In that respect they've totally downed tools since and are going to just let the season play out until the new manager comes in. It's a disgrace.

Oranges038

This lad just needs to piss off.

Unprofessional and lazy and just not good enough.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What were you expecting? The team has been non-coached for years now. They don't even know what to do with the ball. When was the last time we had a proper hands on manager ?

LVG and that's was 7 years back.

Loon

:lol:
“maybe the manager can bring ideas” sounds like a plea to fix the division in the players and possibly bin some of them.

Don’t think this was about Rangnick at all. Not a few months in.

croadyman

This is why Ragnick is here, to get rid of the players who aren't together. He's bulletproof until the end of the season so the players best get on board or be prepared to be shown the door. It will be painful in the short term but we need these players out of the club.
Would he be bulletproof from moving upstairs IF by some miracle Tuchel or Pochettino got sacked

steffyr2

It’s clear to see. Inflated wage packet, individual records, higher egos, no passion from the players all started way back from mourinho.
I hope the next rebuild goes well and hope for a long term success.
I think that the fans supporting the players over the manager started back with Mourinho. Ever wonder what would have happened if he'd been allowed to replace Pogba and Martial? (I can't remember, did he want to get rid of Luke Shaw?)
Let's assume Rangnick is trying out the players to see what they'll do, to make decisions later.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He wasn't incorrect about anything and did not say anything controversial.
In a nutshell, he said that we all need to work hard (intensity, physicality, etc) and only if all the players do this, will we beat/dominate teams.
He also said that he he has a long training week ahead and hopefully the manager can bring some ideas to help us win matches.

bdspeedy

Not a thing wrong with anything he said. All agendas aside, he's still one of our best and most important players and should continue to be.

Lentwood

Spot on though isn't he. The intensity from the front four wasn't good enough. How many tackles or turnovers did Ronaldo, Cavani, Sancho or Greenwood make in the opposition half? How many times did we make Wolves go backwards? How many times did we force them into mistakes?

We must be the easiest side in the world to play against. You are at our back six before anybody has bothered to close down or make a tackle

Agreed, sky even had the quote “maybe the manager can bring some ideas” but Luke actually said “more ideas”. Subtle omission but changes the feel of the message.
Agreed. The pundits clearly exaggerating about Rangnick and trying to undermine him and put pressure on him. Suddenly a style of play is important. 5 matches in they having a go at him for changing formations saying top managers never do that… hmmm Conte first season at Chelsea changed to a 3 at the back in November and went on to win the league, Klopp changed formation and tweaked style in first season, Pep also changed system after finishing 4th.

SAFMUTD

Its clear we have a divided squad. We need a clear up, thank god Ole left us in a much better place with all the rebuilding he made.

We are rotten to the core.

Member 101269

In the full version he also mentions how you could see we lacked intensity and aggression about winning the ball back from the very first minute. He’s spot on. Our front four were all absolutely awful out of posesssion (three of them were also awful in possession). You can fully understand why he was raging.
I saw ronnie chasing, and others tracking back. Whereas, I saw AWB refusing to support MG waving him off and not pressurising. Matic lumping the ball and trying stupid tricks like a Sunday league player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
There are going to be some killer books about how we’ve become so terrible post Fergie. Feels like everyone who leaves with the golden handshake doesn’t go in hard on the club but It’s been the owners holding us back all along ever since we sold Ronaldo regardless of how much they spend. It’s always a last ditch thing with them. They wait until something is totally broken before they take any notice. They are mediocre and have no idea what they are doing and that feeds down to the players who get away with murder and get paid top dollar to fail.

A few things there. If you’re ambitious and playing for Utd and on big money but you can’t do your job properly because your team mates aren’t trying? You’d be totally embarrassed. You’d be embarrassed by the state of the stadium or how predictably they always seem to crumble under pressure. It’s not an organisation that fosters a winning mentality. It’s money and PR over substance or any real plan and has been since the great man stepped down. It’s crazy how much he drove us on and covered up for the Americans total ineptitude. You can tell players arrive here and quickly realise their team mates aren’t up to much and they take the money and regress or try to leave. Bruno being the exception. Pogba Sanchez Lukaku Di Maria Martial all want or wanted out. There’s something deeply wrong at this club when we can’t keep players happy or get them performing but probably have the highest wage bill in the country.

Red & White

I found the honesty most welcome. Players start rolling off the cliches (we need to pick ourselves up and go again etc) and fans get annoyed so why not welcome the honest words and appreciate a little more insight into what is going on behind the scenes. Club feels lost at the moment and it’s been some years now, hard to be optimistic after so many changes and little/ no improvement.

RedDevilQuebecois

Its clear we have a divided squad. We need a clear up, thank god Ole left us in a much better place with all the rebuilding he made.

We are rotten to the core.
This is why I will always have a total aversion to people wanting to call themselves players' coaches. Those people only use that term to mask the fact that they are not assertive enough to do the job, and that creates far more problems down the road in any discipline.

Oranges038

Completely missing the point.
Why?

He comes out with that shite after playing shit and after being shit pretty much all season.

He should keep his mouth shut and actually prove his worth on the pitch.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think Ralf is basically using these games to take a look at the players, who is good at taking information in, who has heart, who is willing to put the effort in and there is a good chance along with who he thinks should be manager, he will give them a list of who should be out the door regarding players.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
It’s a great interview from Shaw. Rangnick’s interview was very honest too, he admitted we weren’t pressing at all. Think about it. A Rangnick team not pressing! Shaw was pointing the finger at the players in front of him, all of them. They are not playing as a collective. ‘Quality’ or not they are not playing to the system. Serious problems with that group IMO.
Rangnick also said some players were not good enough, but refused to named them when pressed (lol).

RUCK4444

We are as bad now as we were under OIe. This shows we could have Pep and most of these players would play shit. New midfielders in Jan would be a start as we cant play any worse.
Yeah the major issue in squad quality is midfield. I called it in the summer in dozens of posts that not getting that DM would cause no end of trouble and would hamper our progress, feck me it's had a worse impact than I expected.

The changes in the summer tipped the balance in the squad and absolutely magnified how shocking our midfield is quality wise (Pogba aside imo / but he doesn't fix the issues we have without major upgrades beside him anyway.)