Luke Shaw: "open" to signing a new contract

Pughnichi

Nice of him. This is apparently a "boost" to Man Utd

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...united-as-defender-open-to-extending-contract

Excerpt:
"He earns a basic salary of about £150,000 a week, which would rise should new terms be agreed."

Not against a new contract for Shaw although I don't feel he should be getting a raise. Of course we know that extensions for players of a certain age invariably do include a wage increase, so it's par for the course.
It shouldn’t be. If he can get more than 150k elsewhere good luck to him. We need to start playing hardball.

romufc

It shouldn’t be. If he can get more than 150k elsewhere good luck to him. We need to start playing hardball.
I mean if It was up to me, I'd be offering 130k or something, what has Luke Shaw done to deserve more? Nothing.

He has barely stayed fit for a whole season and he isn't that special of a LB that we cannot replace.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So you give him £200k a week for another five years, making him unsellable? Meaning if he is unable to produce his form from last season, his first really good season in the eight years we've had him, that we just have this expensive deadweight?

If he wants to leave on a free, then we should let that happen. Ultimately its better value that giving Luke Shaw double Andy Robertson's wages. Luke Shaw is not double the player Andy Robertson is.
I agreed he doesn't even deserve his current wage. So offer him his deserve wage this Summer, and if he refuse, just sell him immediately. No need to wait.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
No way in hell he deserves a new contract. But hey this is united he'll be offered a 10 year deal.

OleGunnar20

Agree with those saying we need to start playing hardball on wages. Offer him what he's deemed to be worth when compared to players at a similar level, with a little slice on top as a loyalty bonus and leave it at that.

We need to cut out the mega contracts, the pandering to shite players with toxic attitudes, and start rewarding only those who earn it by winning us fecking football matches.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agree with the same / thereabout wage talk. Who is really going to pay Shaw 200K? At his best he's really good but he's been woeful this season.

Ronaldo143

Stop giving huge wages to average players. He is decent and doesn’t deserve anything over 100k

Deery

Dreary
I’d sell Shaw, never was overly excited watching him, he does a lot of decent stuff but doesn’t contribute nearly enough in the way of attacking numbers, never makes it to the byline and rarely delivers a decent cross.

On the defensive side he always caught out of position, fails to make the ground up when caught on the counter, always fouling because lack of speed and how many times he breaks the offside trap.

Thoroughly average defender and will never propel us to the dizzy heights, call me petty but I think it’s a lot to do with his body shape, modern full backs are like beanpoles and relentlessly are up and down the pitch without hardly a bead of sweat, just don’t see it with Shaw. Not to be one of the highest paid in the world anyway.

copen1945

United should tell him that an offer he receives from elsewhere will be matched with a little extra on top. During these negotiations, other clubs behave as if they know what the market value is for a player of certain levels of quality and experience. United, on the other hand, wish to pay as much as a player will ask.

m1tch

Tough one, like a lot of our players, if he was consistently on top form then he might be good enough to play for a club that has money to spend. The reality is that even we were happy to sell him, the transfer fee we'd get would barely cover the rest of his contract. I'm sure we'll just give him another deal.

Gurtej

I understand that Robertson, Theo Hernandez, Alfonso D all make less than him and are far better in my view….. giving him currently what he earns is already over generous…..ideally he should get a pay cut

AndyMUFC86

Andy Robertson was on 75K a week at Liverpool. He signed a new contract this Summer for 100K. He deserved it after winning the premier league and champions league.

Luke Shaw has had one good half season in 8 years. He is currently on 150K a year and will probably sign a new contract for 200K.

Jota is on 90K a week, Rashford is on 200K.
We’re a complete joke, it’s disgusting the wages our players get in comparison. The board should be ashamed when they see how far behind our players are and what they get paid. We need a complete overhaul starting with the high earners out the door. Start paying players in line with our competitors and then we will only get players who actually want to be with us rather than attracting greedy agents lining up there players for huge deals from the numpty’s who run us.

AndyMUFC86

Personally I’ve had enough of Luke Shaw. I was his biggest fan when we brought him in from Southampton, full of talent and hungry to improve. But over time he’s developed into a sluggish lazy player who turns off in games. Constantly losing concentration in games. Just check the Bernardo silva goal at OT earlier in the season. We all know he can play when he decides to turn up but that’s exactly why we need to move him on. We cannot accept players who aren’t giving it everything week in week out

AndyMUFC86

Wasn't he the best in the world last year and weren't world class players praising him?
What good is having a player who we refer to as he was brilliant last season. This club should be demanding the best week in week out, season in season out. Players who turn up when it suits them can go for me

AndySmith1990

What good is having a player who we refer to as he was brilliant last season. This club should be demanding the best week in week out, season in season out. Players who turn up when it suits them can go for me
We do tend to always be stuck in the past since our decline. Always talking about how good a player was ages ago rather than focusing on the present. Same used to happen to defend Lingard, and same also happens with Rashford. They used to be good therefore we should keep them... Apparently

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Probably open to signing a new contract because he knows someone's coming onboard who supposedly rates him.

Ahmer Baig

Luke Shaw on playing for England and Man Utd. He says he feels more happy when playing for England.

Shaw was quizzed on his differing form for club and country and cited his enjoyment at meeting up his fellow England teammates. He said: "The environment here that Gareth creates, you always enjoy it. I think when I come here, for me it's about enjoyment, playing games with a smile on my face and enjoying it.

"I feel like here, when I come here I always do that, we all love playing for our country." He later added: "I think everyone does. It's always important to feel like you're wanted.

"Especially here, I always feel that. I'm not saying I don't at United but especially here, the way things are, I feel wanted, I enjoy my football."

Vernon Philander

Haven't read many people on this thread eating some humble pie. Mourinho was lambasted over his handling of this so-called talent. Yet, he was right all along, wasn't he. 8 years we've had him nearly, under 4 different coaches, the return on investment has been abysmal.

dinostar77

Haven't read many people on this thread eating some humble pie. Mourinho was lambasted over his handling of this so-called talent. Yet, he was right all along, wasn't he. 8 years we've had him nearly, under 4 different coaches, the return on investment has been abysmal.
Mourinho was right on shaw, pogba, martial and rashford. They are all still here and we are where we are i.e. average.

Bondi77

Luke Shaw on playing for England and Man Utd. He says he feels more happy when playing for England.
Is that so hard to believe???
He is surrounded by players that are from the same country as him and maybe he has more good mates there than he does at Utd.
Storm in a fecking teacup!

Hailee

No shit people here have an irrational hate for Mourinho, even though we have hindsight now proving that over 90% of what he says is right. If we simply followed everything he said we would be better off.

Imagine selling Pogba for a profit back then,

Imagine selling Martial early and recouping everything we paid out,

Imagine selling Shaw.

We could have freed up funds and rebuilt upon a better group of players.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why’s everyone getting so worked up about what he said. He shouldn’t of said it but it’s not like it isn’t true… players don’t enjoy playing in a losing team. There’s a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. It’s alright for the fans to say all what’s going on but when a player comes out and speaks the truth it’s wrong? I’m not siding with Shaw before you bite my head of.. he’s been awful this season and deserved to be dropped if he was and not down to injury. It should be down to him to fight hard to gain his place back and that should be for all the players. You don’t automatically have a place in the team… some players do but that’s just because of squad depth and lack of quality replacements for them. That’s what needs addressing… like city, they have at least 2 decent players in each position.

dinostar77

Hes screwed if poch gets the job. Its in writing in pochs book which covers his time at Southampton that he didnt think luke shaw was good enough for top level football.

Mourinho said he lacks a footballing brain.

I just see a very lazy player who cant be bothered to track back or sprint back to get into position. Also havent we conceded more goals from down our left side than than anywhere else over past few years? Says it all.

AFC NimbleThumb

No shit people here have an irrational hate for Mourinho, even though we have hindsight now proving that over 90% of what he says is right. If we simply followed everything he said we would be better off.

Imagine selling Shaw.

Think I’ve found Maureen’s burner account. Saying that, it’s hard to disagree at this point. Say he’d sold those 3 & bought whoever, it’s pretty clear we’d have done better than we have done.

I don’t think Jose was the answer & the fallout was terrible but on reflection he called out most of the bad characters bar himself.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hes screwed if poch gets the job. Its in writing in pochs book which covers his time at Southampton that he didnt think luke shaw was good enough for top level football.

I just see a very lazy player who cant be bothered to track back or sprint back to get into position. Also havent we conceded more goals from down our left side than than anywhere else over past few years? Says it all.
Rangnick also said he isn’t Manchester United quality.

arthurka

Imagine selling Shaw.

And bought what, 8 Fellaini's? He was right on many occasions but wrong at least as many times. We would've been better off keeping Moyes than going through all the garbage that came after him. Shaw can just bugger off, never in shape shows glimpses then is atrocious for the rest of the season. The rebuild has to start and Shaw should be the first one out of the door.

AndySmith1990

Imagine selling Shaw.

He was right about them, but he would have spent the money on players like Willian, Perisic and Maguire though. We'd be no better off in the long run

redshaw

Imagine selling Shaw.

Jose is the one who brought us Pogba and stupidly hoped he'd play in a two man midfield and would step up to the role. He brought in Lukaku, Sanchez.

Jose was desperate for Bale, another waster on mega wages. Wanted Maguire.

I don't have a problem with the odd mistake but Pogba was going nowhere for a profit and Jose while right on some he would've plagued us even more with so many waster names on big wages.

CM

Imagine selling Shaw.

Except those things wouldn't have happened. We would've had to take a hit on Pogba, the only reported bids we ever received for him were ridiculous part exchange bids from Juventus and Barcelona.

Martial likewise, Mourinho wanted to swap him for Perisic at the time. Things haven't panned out as we wanted but that shouldn't detract from the fact that Mourinho was a grade A twat who was running the club into the ground.

I know football fans have short memories but there's no need to pretend he knew what he was doing. He was awful for us and would've continued to be awful for us, just as he was awful at Spurs and is currently awful at Roma.

Lentwood

Imagine selling Shaw.

The trouble is though people are re-writing history to suit a narrative.

- Mourinho was backed, we spent about £350m under his stewardship. The majority of the players signed have to be largely regarded as underwhelming.

- People say Jose was right on Pogba.....Jose was the manager when we signed Pogba!

- Jose wasn't "right" on Shaw. There's always been this narrative that Jose wanted Shaw out...he didn't, he just wanted to push him harder because he believed in his ability as a footballer. Jose doesn't waste time or give minutes to players he doesn't rate, that has been evident throughout his entire career.

Fact is, Jose helped oversee the spending of hundreds of millions and our league form throughout his tenure was no better than Ole's. I'm not blaming Jose, our club is a mess and it would be difficult for any manager to succeed here, but he's not some great and wise Oracle who was unjustly treated by the club.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Shaw definitely has a football brain. It’s his mentality that is an issue. Clearly the boy has ability in spades and when he is on it he can compete with anyone but problem is - it is too far and few between.

As for all this Jose worship - he was a stinker in terms of transfer policy and yes he could spot when players were not up to it but he was equally clueless at how to fix it and who to bring in. This was not prime Jose we are talking about - so let’s stop rewriting history @Hailee.

choccy77

I hope he and many others all go in a couple months time, we need new mentality and players with the capability to adapt and have a football brain and a less toxic atmosphere.