Luke Shaw's last chance?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Injuries obviously his issue, the talent is no doubt there.

Could be the best LB in the league, let's hope makes strides this year.

NinjaFletch

I think LB is the most obvious weakness in the team/squad.
Shaw should have nailed down that role for years to come, but simply hasn't delivered on his early promise, and he is the only proper LB we have.

The other names mentioned are once again squad players, 'filling a gap' coming in to 'do a job'. Basically playing out of position as cover.

In an ideal world, we'd be getting in another LB, like Mendy for example, and he and Shaw could battle it out for the starting berth, best man wins.
That competition would be the best decider of whether Shaw has a long term future at the club.
I think this is a slightly odd argument.

No doubt that it's a weak spot, but we're in far more dire straights if we don't address the lack of goals or the midfield.

EvilIrwin

How long is he out for?
Ffs, completely forgot he's crocked.
Unfortunately he's gone by next summer. He'll get injured again after recovering, like he's been every season and Mourinho will run out of patience.
He's worth a shot being English, young and the ability he has but injuries have ruined him.
Put a buy back clause and ship him out while he still has value. Playing for a smaller team with less pressure should do him good, assuming he stays reasonably fit.

Hed Zitin

I hope Shaw does well and gets a good go at it, but we are risking it with Shaw. Nothing wrong with competition and we should be bringing in another attacking LB. Young is the next best thing and he can't stay fit either.

That left wing last season was crap. Having an attacking LB would go a long way to helping things. We can't have a repeat of last season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ffs, completely forgot he's crocked.
Unfortunately he's gone by next summer. He'll get injured again after recovering, like he's been every season and Mourinho will run out of patience.
He's worth a shot being English, young and the ability he has but injuries have ruined him.
Put a buy back clause and ship him out while he still has value. Playing for a smaller team with less pressure should do him good, assuming he stays reasonably fit.
He had a decent injury record at Southampton. If he really has sorted out his diet and general off-field behaviour (as well as the articles posted in this thread a recent photo of him at a wedding had him looking a lot less heavy-set than usual) then it's definitely possible he could turn things round.

Denis79

I really believed he would be the perfect Evra replacement. Very unlucky with injuries and I thought he was hitting brilliant form just before his leg break. I hope he can work his way back to that. One more serious injury after this one though will most likely result in his transfer unfortunetaly.

Bwuk

He'll be gone next summer on a free. He'll get injured early into the season and we won't renew his contract.

Don't think Shaw has the mentality to make it to the top. Would happily get rid and get someone like Mendy or Tierney in.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He'll be gone next summer on a free. He'll get injured early into the season and we won't renew his contract.

Don't think Shaw has the mentality to make it to the top. Would happily get rid and get someone like Mendy or Tierney in.
There's option of a further year on his contract. He won't be gone on a free.

Ninja7Red

He had a decent injury record at Southampton. If he really has sorted out his diet and general off-field behaviour (as well as the articles posted in this thread a recent photo of him at a wedding had him looking a lot less heavy-set than usual) then it's definitely possible he could turn things round.
I agree with you there mate. Don't really see any problem if he stays fit and starts performing to his potential now, is there?

He was destined for the top, only to be derailed by the trappings of fame and fortune. Hate to see him going the way to becoming another Janujaz, wasting immense talent. At the minimum, should be really nailing down the left back spot and start enjoying football again without having to worry about getting injured!

R77

A lot of people are forgetting or failing to notice that the manner of perfomances from left full back last season was often down to tactical instruction. Unless Mourinho tweaks the system and asks for something different, Shaw won't be able to play his natural game and commit to his strengths. On the evidence so far, Jose hasn't wanted Evra 2.0 on the left.

This is as much a threat to his potential for success as his injury record/fitness or form, if not more. We've seen he has the talent and potential, but does he have the brains, discipline and aptitude?

This is not me necessarily moaning about the manager btw, just pointing out how it appears to have been.

Reactions: Penna

RC89

If he goes, is anyone else concerned about the prospect of having a first XI with potentially no English players? I know it's happened before but it could become a lot more likely.

Hed Zitin

A lot of people are forgetting or failing to notice that the manner of perfomances from left full back last season was often down to tactical instruction. Unless Mourinho tweaks the system and asks for something different, Shaw won't be able to play his natural game and commit to his strengths. On the evidence so far, Jose hasn't wanted Evra 2.0 on the left.
Why is this still being peddled? Jose never stopped Blind or Young getting forward with Valencia on the other side. Azpilicueta and Ivanovic got forward plenty at Chelsea. It's a complete myth. It's all down to the players.

CM

Why is this still being peddled? Jose never stopped Blind or Young getting forward with Valencia on the other side. Azpilicueta and Ivanovic got forward plenty at Chelsea. It's a complete myth. It's all down to the players.
Both here and at Chelsea his RB has been given a lot more freedom to get forward. None of Darmian, Young or Blind got forward nearly as much as Valencia did on the right - it was plain for all to see. At Chelsea Azpilicueta rarely got forward from LB to provide protection for Terry too.

I don't think that's necessarily the reason Shaw has struggled though. It has probably inhibited him a little but I think the constant criticism and niggling injuries have been far more damaging.

Hed Zitin

Both here and at Chelsea his RB has been given a lot more freedom to get forward. None of Darmian, Young or Blind got forward nearly as much as Valencia did on the right - it was plain for all to see. At Chelsea Azpilicueta rarely got forward from LB to provide protection for Terry too.

I don't think that's necessarily the reason Shaw has struggled though. It has probably inhibited him a little but I think the constant criticism and niggling injuries have been far more damaging.
I don't believe it. It's finding a theory to something that isn't there. Over thinking. Young and Blind went up and down the wing as normal.

CM

I don't believe it. It's finding a theory to something that isn't there. Over thinking. Young and Blind went up and down the wing as normal.
Shaw was the most attacking out of all of them. Mourinho clearly has a preference for one to stay while another attacks though, and that benefit goes to the RB far more often than not.

It's part of the reason why our attack lacked width and looked so lopsided last season and probably why Mourinho seems to value the signing of Perisic so highly too.

Last edited:

ricky-romeo

this is going to be his 4th season with united. hard to believe that he hasn't yet to cement his place as united's undisputed left back.

dont know what to expect from him this season to be honest. hope he still can make it.

Utd7

That injury in the CL really derailed Shaw. He was arguably our best player on form before that. The talent is obviously there, I still have high expectations for him.

Flying high

That injury in the CL really derailed Shaw. He was arguably our best player on form before that. The talent is obviously there, I still have high expectations for him.
Agreed. Really pleased that Jose seems to be giving him another chance.

R77

Which is?
Bounding up and down the wing with purpose. It may be a naive, simplistic way of looking at it, but Shaw in full flow is one of those players that makes merely running with the ball with his feet look like fun. Exciting, good to see. While the sample size may be small, and his end product hardly consistently amazing, he also rarely ceded possession and did his job well at both ends of the pitch.

It's not so much not doing it at all, as when to do it. Mourinho criticised his in-game intelligence above all else, quite vocally and publicly. Like I said; we've seen the raw talent and glimmer of willpower/strong mentality. Does he have the on-field discipline and aptitude? Injury issues aside, that's what the manager clearly identified as a weakness. When to tuck in and support the center backs, when to bring the ball forward, to follow instruction.

I'd love to see him succeed, but he's got it all to do. Get some fitness, maintain it, evolve his game to the managers needs. It's a big ask considering his history at the club, but that player's in there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hopefully he goes back to at least his southampton form, where he was looking incredibly promising. Ever since he moved to united hes struggled in a lot of ways, and last season basically didn't show even glimpses of talent. Still young, but if he gets fit and stays fit then he could cement a spot. Would help from having to spend another 50m on a fullback like city are doing.
Anyone know how long hes injured for? Or what actually happened?

It was like 4 games before that. Cant read anything into it.

JuanMata

I think mentally his injury impacted him a lot, since returning he seemed reluctant to push forward or go into crunching tackles (only natural)
The talent is definitely there, and if I remember correctly Mourinho wanted him whilst he was at chelsea.
I expect Darmian (if still here) to start the season at LB and Shaw will have to prove himself in training and take the chance when it appears, but I've no doubt Shaw will be our long term LB for years to come.

LoneStar

This will be his fourth season at United. Except for a handful of games, he has not played well at all. Add to that, he seems to get injured a lot. He's had 3 years to make that LB spot his own, but he has failed to do so (granted, one season was totally not his fault and was a freak accident). This has to be a make or break season for him. He has to show that he can play well AND remain injury free, basically he should be more consistent. I remember being so excited when we signed him, but he has failed to live up to the hype.

Also don't compare him to Martial, he has never had a season which was close to Martial's first season at United. Having said that, I hope he can come out all guns blazing this season and cement himself as a starter for the coming years. But, sadly, the last 3 yeas seem to indicate otherwise.

Silas

Mourinho clearly has a preference for one to stay while another attacks though, and that benefit goes to the RB far more often than not.
Shaw gave an interview to MUTV sometime last season that denied this very thing.