Kick-off
Sun, 18 February 2024 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

LDUred

This game will be like Nottingham Forest at the City Ground and Kieran Gibbs-White tearing around like a possessed maniac. If we don't match the opposition for effort - which they will give - we will lose.

In light of what happened at Forest, we have to recognize this represents a big game for us as well. Luton have been a tough nut to crack this season and they've been unlucky at times.

Last edited:

Alemar

Onana

Dalot
    Varane
    Maguire
    Antony

Casemiro
    Mainoo
    Bruno

Amad
    Hojlund
    Garnacho

RedIan

should win this but no complacency as luton have found a bit of form since new year.
    left full back position is an issue for the game. Id try Anthony or go Amrabat, he played a couple of games there and did well.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
    Supports
    Luton Town
    should win this but no complacency as luton have found a bit of form since new year.
    left full back position is an issue for the game. Id try Anthony or go Amrabat, he played a couple of games there and did well.
    That will be an interesting battle.

Our loanee RWB (Kabore) has been in AFCON and we've looked better without him as he makes way too many mistakes. We've bought a new RWB (Hashioka) who hasn't even been on the bench yet.

So most likely we will play Ogbene, who is more of a right winger and he's electric fast so whoever is LB at United will have a tough day.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
    Supports
    Ajax & United
    Wouldn't play Antony LB, even though he has some good qualities for that position. He always has braindead moments, and it's a very dangerous position to lose the ball. Especially with no Martinez to sweep up.

When is AWB back?

RedIan

Just read Shaw was withdrawn yesterday as a precaution as he felt a (unknown) niggle. He may well be ok.

Oranges038

Luton at home against the top five this season

1-1 v Liverpool
    1-2 v Man City
    3-4 v Arsenal (winner in the 97th minute)
    0-1 v Tottenham
    3-1 v Aston Villa

Nothing easy and Luton raise their game at home against better sides.
    They have a much smaller pitch than most teams, home record against big teams is good, but I'd say the pitch plays into that a lot, especially against bigger sides who won't be used to having less space, it's much easier for them to sit in, stay narrow and not get stretched out of position.

Hughes35

Think Maguire is our key player this TBH. Luton have some units and aren't scared to go long. I think Maguire is actually better for this game than Martinez.

Really hope Shaw is back as the other options all come with their own pretty major issues.

Hope to see:

-----------------------------Onana------------------------
    Dalot------------Varane-------Maguire------------Shaw
    -----------------Casemiro--------Mainoo-------------
    Garnacho---------------Bruno-------------------Rashford
    ----------------------------Hojlund-----------------------

If Shaw is injured and AWB Isn't back then I really do think we should try Anthony. Think he's better suited than Lindelof or Amrabat.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
    Supports
    Ajax & United
    They have a much smaller pitch than most teams, home record against big teams is good, but I'd say the pitch plays into that a lot, especially against bigger sides who won't be used to having less space, it's much easier for them to sit in, stay narrow and not get stretched out of position.
    I wonder how and why this is still a thing. Shouldn't there just be a universal size for the sake of the sport?

Oranges038

I wonder how and why this is still a thing. Shouldn't there just be a universal size for the sake of the sport?
    The rules are that pitch dimensions must fall within the range of 90m – 120m in length and 45m – 90m in width.

Most teams are 105-110m x 65-70m. Old Trafford is 105×68m same as a lot of PL pitches. Luton is around 100mx65m. 3m and 5m difference doesn't sound like a lot. But you're looking at around 500sqm less space overall.

I don't like the idea of universal pitch sizes, teams should be allowed to setup their pitch to suit themselves, depending on what the stadium allows.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Shaw out is another blow if he's out for a long period. We are much more stable with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------Onana----------------------------------------------------------------
    Lindelof-----------------------------------Varane------------------Maguire--------------------------------------Dalot
    ------------------------------------------------Casemiro-------------Mainoo------------------------------------------------
    Garnacho------------------------------------------------Bruno--------------------------------------------------Rashford
    ---------------------------------------------------------------Hojlund---------------------------------------------------------------

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
    Scout
    Feels like the type of game we would have last last year... but 2024 is going alright so far.

Every promoted team always seem to get that one huge result/scalp at home though... hopefully this isn't the one for Luton.

MonkeysMagic

The way our team is set up and the players involved, this'll be another 20+ attempts for the opposition. We are scoring goals so one can hope that they don't have their shooting boots on so we can win not having to score 3 or 4!

Gordon S

The way our team is set up and the players involved, this'll be another 20+ attempts for the opposition. We are scoring goals so one can hope that they don't have their shooting boots on so we can win not having to score 3 or 4!
    Conceding +20 chances to Luton is a depressing thought, but could very well be true.
    We are like a crazy mma fighter that uses his face to defend, not with his hands or by good and smart movement. Just stand there, let him swing at you, then boom, counterpunch and just hope you have a better punch and chin.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
    Staff
    Supports
    Everton
    Luton have two tough games ahead, you and Liverpool. Going to be a rest of their resolve.

andycolegangstainnit

Luton were very organised at OT and we were reduced to scraps. The mighty Lindelof scoring from a corner won us the game. It's going to be tight and I'd settle for 1-0 off Maguire's arse

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
    Feels like the type of game we would have last last year... but 2024 is going alright so far.

Every promoted team always seem to get that one huge result/scalp at home though... hopefully this isn't the one for Luton.
    Drew with Liverpool, beat Newcastle, battered Brighton. They've filled their "scalp" quota.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    Start fast, score early - absolutely crucial

The midfield shape needs adjusting, Mainoo needs to be closer to Casemiro.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
    Supports
    Luton Town
    Should we ban @Dirty Schwein until the game is over
    Haha I'm generally quite a respective fellow but I'll probs stay out of the thread when the game starts. If we're winning, I don't want to gloat and if we're losing, I don't want to bring the mood down.
    Start fast, score early - absolutely crucial

The midfield shape needs adjusting, Mainoo needs to be closer to Casemiro.
    We always start slow (except the game against Brighton) and give the opposition a few massive chances. If you take one of those, it'll be a long afternoon for us.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
    Supports
    A Free Palestine
    Haha I'm generally quite a respective fellow but I'll probs stay out of the thread when the game starts. If we're winning, I don't want to gloat and if we're losing, I don't want to bring the mood down.
    I’m just winding you up pal.

tomaldinho1

I saw Antony at LB and laughed but we really have no other choice. Lindelof is begging to get skinned by anyone with any pace + Varane/Maguire doesn't need added aerial defensive cover.

Maybe he turns into Marcelo, you never know

ColvaleGoa

This game will be like Nottingham Forest at the City Ground and Kieran Gibbs-White tearing around like a possessed maniac. If we don't match the opposition for effort - which they will give - we will lose.

In light of what happened at Forest, we have to recognize this represents a big game for us as well. Luton have been a tough nut to crack this season and they've been unlucky at times.

I guess replace Gibbs -White with Barkley.

We have to be ready for battle here. This will be a hard fought match and we can't go there with over confidence.. Avoid red Cards and we should sneak it.

Alemar

Wouldn't play Antony LB, even though he has some good qualities for that position.
    But the only alternative is Lindelof, and it’s not a good option for LB at all. Antony has defensive awareness, workrate, is left footed with decent ball control. He doesn’t have any speed - but neither does Lindelof, unfortunately. Victor is, of course, better at heading, but with Varane and Maguire as CBs and Casemiro at DM heading is not our biggest issue

NICanRed

The rules are that pitch dimensions must fall within the range of 90m – 120m in length and 45m – 90m in width.

Most teams are 105-110m x 65-70m. Old Trafford is 105×68m same as a lot of PL pitches. Luton is around 100mx65m. 3m and 5m difference doesn't sound like a lot. But you're looking at around 500sqm less space overall.

I don't like the idea of universal pitch sizes, teams should be allowed to setup their pitch to suit themselves, depending on what the stadium allows.
    Thank you. That is interesting. What surprises me is the variation in the size and location of the "technical areas". Are there regulations for those?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 67% of 291 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 283 ratings.

Score Predictions