LVG 2:1 vs Stoke post match discussion

SirFergie

Maybe I am too pessimistic but I think that it will prove difficult to get a top 4 spot this season. In other words, I'm not convinced by the so called progress in our performances. Something is missing big time. The best thing so far has been the crap form of our rivals for top 4. Hopefully, I'm totally wrong.
Yes, you're too pessimistic and yes you're totally wrong, anything else?

hundred_trillion

Maybe I am too pessimistic but I think that it will prove difficult to get a top 4 spot this season. In other words, I'm not convinced by the so called progress in our performances. Something is missing big time. The best thing so far has been the crap form of our rivals for top 4. Hopefully, I'm totally wrong.
The thing missing is stability. We have, of course, had an absolute nightmare with injuries. Four of our six summer signings were unfit to start tonight, and we fielded all of the available senior defenders - two. However, there has been clear, observable progress in our ball retention and attacking fluidity, as well as in individual player performances e.g. Fellaini, Valencia, Young. Despite the pleasant surprises provided by the fringe players, if we can name a full-strength 11 a few times in a row we are likely to start seeing more consistency. It's also worth noting that while Arsenal and Liverpool have indeed been in "crap form", so have United. The difference is that we have shown (just) enough to be in the top four right now. I appreciate Arse and Pool can get significantly better but there's also a lot of room until we hit the ceiling. We've been playing a fair distance below our full capabilities. There have been brief hints at that top level though - late equalisers at home and away and the reduction of Queens Park Rogers and Hull Tigers to whimpering husks. It would be the height of pessimism to assume Arse and Pool are going to massively improve while also assuming we'll continue to struggle. That may well happen, but it is likely that as they pick up more points, so will we. It was never going to be a cakewalk but right now we are in the box seat for third.

Flying_Heckfish

When we can finally play our first team consistently, man-for-man I believe we are right up there. Coupled with the progress made on the playing side I have no doubt top 4 is attainable this season.

We may even look back at the end of the seasons and think a title push could have been possible, had all the players been fit. That's how strongly I believe in the progress that is being made

Ixion

We may even look back at the end of the seasons and think a title push could have been possible, had all the players been fit. That's how strongly I believe in the progress that is being made
I think so too. If we had all our signings for those first three games and been luckier with injuries I think we'd be within touching distance of Chelsea right now. As it is the start to the season killed off any title bid before it begun.

Flying_Heckfish

Yep, there's no realistic chance now, even if all players were passed fit for the next match. Chelsea have been quick out of the traps

Adebesi

@Pogue Mahone made the fair point last month that while he could see progress, the real elephant in the room was that Van Gaal hadn't improved the players that were already here.

I feel that we're starting to see solid, consistent performances now from some of the players who were previous viewed as total dead-wood.

This is the biggest positive for me of the last three matches.
Yeah, its a real transformation, from being a key criticism to being the most encouraging thing we have going for us at the moment.

A bizarre and unexpected flip-side to that is the one person who was supposed to be our biggest star player, who has a ready made excellent working relationship with the boss, is the person showing the biggest signs of regression. (OK to be fair he hasnt regressed under Van Gaal so much as remained in his existing regressed state under him, but still I think in the summer most people took it as a given that his form would return quickly.)

Its all good though. At the end of the day we get more from the improvements in Young, Valencia, Smalling and Fellaini than we lose from the relatively poor form of Van Persie. Which will be even truer if/when we see a fully fit Falcao.