LVG 2:1 vs Stoke post match discussion

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Got us winning games by playing 2 wingers as full backs while squeezing top performances out of Young and Fellaini. He's a boss.

Ixion

At the start of the season if you'd said we would go to Arsenal with Young/Valencia/McNair/Blackett in defense and start against Stoke with Young/Valencia/Fellaini/Wilson and win both I'd be pretty skeptical but he's getting performances out of every player. Even when we're without Rooney & Di Maria we're getting results, injuries don't seem to faze him at all.

6 wins out of the last 9, 1 defeat in 9. He's doing alright.

Empire

I was happy because we should really have killed the game with the chances we had, the offensive players should have done better and we didn't give them many chances in the second half until right at the end.

If Arsenal did not have Sanchez and Giroud or Chelsea were without Hazard and Costa or City without Aguero and Silva, they also would struggle against opposition like Stoke so I think we did fine.

thepolice123

You can see the machine he's trying to create is slowly rolling into action. Amazing how he's managed to transform the likes of Young, Fellaini, Valencia and Smalling, all considered deadweights at the start of the season into good players for us. Long may our form continue.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
You can see the machine he's trying to create is slowly rolling into action. Amazing how he's managed to transform the likes of Young, Fellaini, Valencia and Smalling, all considered deadweights at the start of the season into good players for us. Long may our form continue.
Up until 5 weeks ago more like.

Amazing what can happen when the training starts sinking in.

Blue always red

I agree with the other 3 but Smalling?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Definitely. Give him a completely healthy side and we would be right on Chelsea's tail for the rest of the year.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I agree with the other 3 but Smalling?
He was getting absolutely slated, much like how Jones is now, both are good enough for Manchester united, they just need a man like LVG to help them prove it.

penalty snot

This Barcelona Style, split centre backs, guess the formation, slow, possession based, Young looks decent, injured all the players, type of football looks alright.

Can't wait to see what we're like when we're actually finely tuned.

Last edited:

togg

Have been a total supporter since day one and I'm just happy that the tide is perhaps turning. No...we aren't going to be world beaters yet, but by gum the fella is starting to instil that winning mentality that we know all about regardless of how we play or how we are attacked. That can only be a good thing. The players seem to be trusting him and that is a huge psychological barrier to overcome for a new manager, even more so at United.

Raw

We're looking more and more solid, and our passing play is great to watch. It's taking time but it's great to see the progress and I'm so excited to see the result :drool:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Good point. A real sign of a quality manager when you see players really upping their game under him. Great to see.

Ixion

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal: "It was not our best performance. We were not aggressive enough in the first half, we didn't keep our position on the pitch. I was not pleased at half time - and I told them. The second half was better, we created more chances but we need to score more goals.

"Then Peter Crouch comes on, you know the long balls are coming and it is always difficult. But I'm pleased we held this result. The last few moments were not necessary but it is always like that. We have struggled until the end in the Premier League - it is common.

"I'm happy with the result - tomorrow we have a Christmas party and it's important we can enjoy that."

On Wayne Rooney and Angel Di Maria's injuries: "Wayne has a scan tomorrow and then we will know more. I'm pleased Di Maria's injury is not so heavy. We've got more players coming back and we can see a little more light in the tunnel."

Dylan94

We are improving and playing better football and everyone should be able to see it which is great. We have a long way to go but we have yet to play a run of games with out best 11. This also the first time that our back 4 has remained the same for consecutive games this season and you can see what that does by looking at tonights game, and a team like Chelsea. We weren't at our best tonight but we defended well for the most part which was good to see and we have won our last 4 games which is the most important thing by far.

Spoony

The People's President
Struggled to beat Palace and Stoke at home...good job the other so called top sides are looking shaky and all.

Ibi Dreams

Nervy at the end, but another win and another three points on the board. We're starting to gain consistency in our results, we're generally the better team and that is now translating into more wins. I feel pretty confident about top four now, which I wasn't a few months ago. And the best thing is there's still a feeling that so much more is yet to come. More gelling within the team, more understanding of how we should play, world class players like Di Maria and Falcao coming into form - I'm looking forward to every game

Thisistheone

Starting to get some consistency. Our last 9 PL games including Arsenal, City and Chelsea. WWDDLWWWW.

12 goals from midfield so far as well is hell of a difference from the last few years. Feel like 3rd should be ours, especially if the injuries ease.

Ibi Dreams

Nervy at the end, but another win and another three points on the board. We're starting to gain consistency in our results, we're generally the better team and that is now translating into more wins. I feel pretty confident about top four now, which I wasn't a few months ago. And the best thing is there's still a feeling that so much more is yet to come. More gelling within the team, more understanding of how we should play, world class players like Di Maria and Falcao coming into form - I'm looking forward to every game

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
The above posts have been moved from the now locked 'Louis van Gaal | Manchester United manager' thread.

Please create similar threads like this to discuss various topics about LVG, maybe not a thread for each match but at least avoid contributing to another megathread discussing everything about him.

(I know the title of this thread is pretty pants :()

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Got to be happy! We weren't brilliant and had a bit of luck. We have zero luck last season and not much this so can't complain. Happy about Fellaini as obviously we were willing to loan him out but he stayed and LVG has given him the chance. There's a return of some feel good factor and we've made so many changes over the last 18 months. There's no question last season mentally we were shot. Let's keep it going :)

GloryHunter07

Good stuff, we were hanging on at the end but great result.

Nice to see when pressed our defenders are still able to keep the ball and bring Stoke out a bit.

Valencia and Young look reasonable at full back.

JUPITER

@Pogue Mahone made the fair point last month that while he could see progress, the real elephant in the room was that Van Gaal hadn't improved the players that were already here.

I feel that we're starting to see solid, consistent performances now from some of the players who were previous viewed as total dead-wood.

This is the biggest positive for me of the last three matches.

I like Van Gaal. Sort the striker situation out and we'd be in the title race (no white text).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We weren't even winning home games last season. We've just won without our best two players and without any fullbacks.
Not a bad result when you consider our injuries. That said, we could've easily scored 4 or 5 in this one. Hopefully Van Gaal addresses the wasteful shenanigans in front of goal. Fellaini alone, could've had a hat trick.

Browniee

Struggled to beat Palace and Stoke at home...good job the other so called top sides are looking shaky and all.
Stoke are a difficult side to beat wherever they play.

Can really see some solidarity creeping into our game, I'm not so nervous watching us over the last month or so. Our defense is getting better and normally shite squad players are earning their right to play in the first team while other players are injured.
I really really want Falcao to start and get a run going. We are never going to see him unleashed if we give him shit 10-20 mins when we have either already won or are on the back foot.
Anyways we look like we're getting there. Saints next in which I think we'll struggle and then the Dippers who I pray to God we spank

nemanja15

More players coming back - Rafael/Evans/Di Maria/Rooney/Jones over the next couple of weeks just in time for the busy Christmas period? Excellent. Fingers crossed for no more setbacks now.

Mali_Zeus

Valencia and esp Young are men reborn.What a game by them.anothe very good game by Fellaini too. DDG with a monster save in the end. Smalling and Rojo were great in defense.All in all very good game,sure we were lucky in the end not to concede but luck favors the brave. Nice win for my first OT experience.:)

Trizy

Even with the bad results at the start I don't think anyone lost faith in van Gaal. If only we had him last season...

mattsville

Personally I think the ars result was key, it showed if teams attack us we have the nous and the personnel to hurt them, last season hull and stoke would have "had a go" at us at OT, but we kept the ball well and while our chance creation is not what it should be, it felt like we were in control and could do damage if the opposition got too brave, there is a massive shift in confidence from the players on the ball, all over the pitch, they are calmer, better supported by team mates and making better decisions, definitely heading in the right direction.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It's nice to have a manager who admits when we're poor. It instantly gives you some comfort, and a sense of improvement to come. It was hard to identify much from that though. Tactically I wasn't sure what we were up to, and that's the 3rd game at home where we've been hanging on for dear life at the end. At least we've started to get some luck back. And wins breed confidence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
One of the main reasons why I never felt Moyes was the man, was because all these excuses about the weak squad were used in his defence, and he only made them all worse. A sign of a top manager is getting the most out of what you have. Yes Van Gaal spent money, as he needed to, but he also visibly improved almost every single player we had last season.

Valencia hasn't been like his old self, but that's because he's playing like a completely different player. Passing with his left foot, playing at fullback, and generally never disappointing or leaving us frustrated like so often the last 2 years. Same with Young and Fellaini, their United careers have been completely reignited. Then you have Rooney being even better now, Carrick being back to his best (hopefully), and generally everyone looking much more confident together.
Only Van Persie and Januzaj probably aren't as good, though that's for various reasons. Januzaj isn't the new kid anymore, and you've seen many times how youngsters struggle in their second season. Van Persie is just old so that's just a natural decline.

You have to say Van Gaal has done really well. We've had probably the worst injury problems I've ever seen (especially with the defence) just making it more difficult for him since the start, and you can tell we're getting that resilience and ability to grind out wins back. The way we've dominated games this season with fluid possession and just general play has been very refreshing.

I said it when he took over, but I'll say it again. If he stays for 4-5 seasons total at the club, then I think we will definitely win the champions league sometime during his time here. He has a 3 year contract so maybe he's planning to retire after that, but in that 3rd season I think we will have a team capable of challenging on all fronts. You can't ever say that you'll win for sure, as it requires a lot of luck to go your way to actually win trophies, and there are other brilliant teams to contend with, but we will be right up there where we belong with the best of them.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Not a great performance by United, but four in a row, and in a season when only Chelsea is showing consistency United are doing what they've got to do.

coolredwine

lameredboots
“I want to wait until after our next match [to assess things], but we’re in a very good moment. We’ve won four matches in a row, which is a very good achievement in the Premier League. I want to see what happens against Southampton – when we win a second consecutive away match, then we’ll have great momentum."
I like this guy. Even with almost every fan is feeling happy, he is trying to play things down and keep everyone's feet on the ground.

Treble

Maybe I am too pessimistic but I think that it will prove difficult to get a top 4 spot this season. In other words, I'm not convinced by the so called progress in our performances. Something is missing big time. The best thing so far has been the crap form of our rivals for top 4. Hopefully, I'm totally wrong.