Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

Dinghy

Maguire didn't put a foot wrong. Lindelof is just an awful defender.

"Iceman", ffs....

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We probably wouldn't have conceded over half our goals if we instead had a partnership of our best defenders consisting of Smalling-Maguire. I don't understand why we persist with Lindelof, it is clear he is struggling when not playing next to a pacy and strong defender like Smalling.

devips

Our 'improved' defence! Meanwhile, Smalling plays for Roma.

Lee565

All them fans praising getting rid of supposed deadwood smalling, another mistake by the manager to get rid of him.

redshaw

Not looking good so far. I would've liked to have seen Smalling with Maguire before sending him off to Rome.

Could be a really bad move by Ole

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can we let them build a partnership before we write them off too?

It's pity Bailly is injured, an in form Bailly is much better than Lindeolf and he doesn't get easily bullied.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Are they any better than Smalling and Blind as a partnership? I really don’t think so.

hobbers

Well, at least 50% of our defense is now good.

Just another £130m needed for the other 50%.

Lentwood

Ive really tried to get behind Lindelof, he is good in possession and pretty good at reading the game but he lacks physical attributes

This is where people misunderstand - the PL is not necessarily “better” than Serie A or La Liga BUT it is different. A La Liga team would never have scored the sort of goal Southampton scored today and this is where Lindelof is exposed

Stretfordender

Lindelof -mid table player not good enough. Talk about panic panic on the ball, like a hot potato.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Why did the club allow Smalling to leave? Did he request out?

Rather have got rid of Jones and/or Rojo and retained Smalling for cover/probable starter at some point.

It's pity Bailly is injured, an in form Bailly is much better than Lindeolf and he doesn't get easily bullied.
But Bailly has not been in-form since his first few months at the club. His first few matches last season were abysmal. Like playing a long ball under little pressure towards his own goal resulting in a corner the opposition inevitably scored from.

Red_toad

Maguire didn't put a foot wrong. Lindelof is just an awful defender.

"Iceman", ffs....
Maguire just looks like a United defender, recovers any small errors he makes, covers his team mates, drives the team on.
I’m not really seeing a partnership yet, more a very good defender and the guy next to him. Maybe they’ll develop a good partnership? But I’m not seeing it so far. Lindelöf is like a shorter not as good version, I always think players who are different make better partnership. Vida/Rio, Pally/Bruce, Hansen/Lawrenson, Adams/Captain Caveman, Terry/Carvalho etc.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I used to think Bailly was the worst header of the ball in the squad. But it might be Lindelof.

And I'm not talking about the goal, because Westergaard is like one of the monstars from Space Jam. He's a mutant. Lindelof lost a few headers against players smaller than him when it looked like he had both positional and height advantage, and he keeps doing it.

His passing isn't even that good to justify him as some sort of slick ball playing centre back.

Maguire is good. Happy with him. I don't think Smalling is/was the answer, but based on the past couple of games, I'd rather see him next to Maguire than Lindelof right now.

Ekeke

No? Carry on then.

So if we play Maguire and Lindelof in 12 matches and we concede 15 goals it doesn't matter, because only now they've "built a partnership" ?

Why wasnt Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Rojo etc given 12 matches next to Maguire to see if they could "build a partnership"?

marktan

I think Maguire and Smalling would've made a good partnership. A little bit of Rio and Vidic in each. Lindelof is good on the ball but lacks defensive skill.

R'hllor

Not all defenders are the same, loosing a duel in the air can happen but during pre season when i saw him ducking, was thinking, Christ from Vidic to this.

Edy2

All them fans praising getting rid of supposed deadwood smalling, another mistake by the manager to get rid of him.
He got rid of him because he cannot pass the ball and so cannot play the way ole wants.

Kounan

We brought two good defenders and who also are doing the job and we still managed to f*ck it up with insisting with Lindelof, as his mistakes are usually huge. If anything will cost Ole his job, it's this decision. He can only hope that Tuanzebe can step up, but that's it, Rojo, Jones and Bailly will definitelly not help.

You can see that teams aren't really creating chances against us, but we are making enough big mistakes so they can score (and usually it is one player who makes the mistakes).

Ekeke

If its fine and expected for a CB to lose the ball in the air all the time against taller players, I guess everyone saying that would prefer Smalling to be starting instead of Lindelof then? Since Smalling is taller and would cover that

SteveW

We probably wouldn't have conceded over half our goals if we instead had a partnership of our best defenders consisting of Smalling-Maguire. I don't understand why we persist with Lindelof, it is clear he is struggling when not playing next to a pacy and strong defender like Smalling.
I was certain it would be Smalling Maguire by xmas. Now I'm just scared.

DRM

I still maintain that smalling is a better defender than lindeloff