Maguire | he stays!

What is up with hate towards Moyes? He was completely out of depth of course but he was here 7-8 months failed and got fired. He didn't have enough time to do major damage (as Solskjaer did for example).

Did Moyes bashed club after he was fired or something?
Kicked off our decline with arrogant and incompetent decisions and he has moaned about us frequently since he was fired.

Alemar

Savage was a free transfer and I think the Bishop fee was nominal at best but Laird and Iqbal were in the range mentioned. We also got 75k from our sell on clause for Dylan Levitt so it blows my mind that we have not bid for Mbappe yet.
Who told you Savage was a free transfer?

JagUTD

For all the hate Maguire gets, this just might be the best thing he's done at the club and you have to respect him for that.

tomaldinho1

So we get 30M and we pay him a severance fee out of that. Wonder how high that is.
Usually when a player moves they don't get severance do they? Sounds like this is the club forcing him out if we're going to pay him if I understand it correctly.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why is there a severance fee involved in a deal where the player is bought by another club? Does he have some kind of anti-sale clause in his contract or something?

bosskeano

30m is a very good price and job well done negotiating that fee for him

I know they are looking at guys like Pavard and such....i still think the priority should be using that money to bring in another CM or attacking player

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Why is there a severance fee involved in a deal where the player is bought by another club? Does he have some kind of anti-sale clause in his contract or something?
Probably to make up for the difference in pay he’ll be getting at West Ham versus sticking with us.

Crimson King

He's taking a wage cut, so we'll probably pay the difference (or close to it) in a lump sum. Severance isn't the right word.

It's likely he wouldn't make the move otherwise. The fee from West Ham must be enough to offset this payment and still come out positive on the FFP account sheet, or whatever.

Chief123

It’s probably a pay off from Utd to cover some of the wage cut he will get at West Ham. Probably the only way he’ll agree to leave.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'd say it's to do with a decreased wage.
Probably to make up for the difference in pay he’ll be getting at West Ham versus sticking with us.
But he has accepted West Ham's offer, no? He doesn't have to agree to go, unless he is being forced out by United. Why is a player entitled to the wage paid by his current club when he's accepting a move to another club? I don't think I've heard of this before.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's taking a wage cut, so we'll probably pay the difference (or close to it) in a lump sum. Severance isn't the right word.

It's likely he wouldn't make the move otherwise. The fee from West Ham must be enough to offset this payment and still come out positive on the FFP account sheet, or whatever.
It’s probably a pay off from Utd to cover some of the wage cut he will get at West Ham. Probably the only way he’ll agree to leave.
Fair enough I guess. I just don't think I've heard of this happening before.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
But he has accepted West Ham's offer, no? He doesn't have to agree to go, unless he is being forced out by United. Why is a player entitled to the wage paid by his current club when he's accepting a move to another club? I don't think I've heard of this before.
If he stays he won't play and cost us a fortune in wages. If he moves with no lump sum, he loses money. Yeah it's shit but I reckon that's the issue.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
this isn’t new. Other clubs just get a better spin from the media and call it a loyalty bonus like what Barcelona does.

Gandalf

Who told you Savage was a free transfer?
Reading have been under a transfer embargo for some time, they cannot pay transfer fees. Since the Savage deal got across the line they have also been blocked from registering players altogether although they were working to have that lifted and may have done so already.

So far as Savage goes, whilst we did not get a fee I would hope that we did ask for a decent sell on clause in his contract as I woul assume that would be allowable even for a free and should protect our interests. In the end we did what we should do with an Academy player that is not good enough for the first team, we helped him get set up with a good deal at a level commensurate with his ability so he can continue his career.

Plastic Evra

I don’t have any animosity toward Moyes in general, but I do understand if other people do. He was handpicked by SAF and supposed to be the chosen one (haha) who followed the footsteps of the legend. Turned out to be a big dud. I think a lot of people associated him with the start of United’s decade of underperformance didn’t help.
Being the one directly succeeding SAF makes it loom a lot larger than the duration and importance it really has in the grand scheme of things. He was there less than a year and there was only two major recruits (Mata, Fellaini) for sums that would be dwarfed by a summer later for one notable exit (Zaha).
It was probably a doomed assignment for anyone, no matter how talented the manager. SAF knew to operate all the internal and arcane politics of the club. And the competition only got stiffer and stiffer.

I do think some would not be as bitterly vitriolic if LVG or Mourinho would have come directly after that and failed. Moyes being perceived as small time & provincial is an aggravating circumstance. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Chief123

You just know he’s going to perform like Baresi against us.

I wonder if he’ll stick a reducer on Bruno.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I mean the very definition of a scapegoat is someone who is blamed for the mistakes of others. So a scapegoat wouldn't be someone that's getting flamed for constantly fecking up, and certainly doesn't apply to Maguire
Ah also one player can be the lightning rod for systemic issues. As well as being shit themselves.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Maguire £30M
Elanga £15m
Telles £4m
Chong £1m

Still need to raise up money from some more sales, wonder how much we can raise between Fred, VDB and potentially McTominay. We should really get rid of Brandon Williams too, no idea why he is still here.
I'd say

VDB - £5m
Fred - £20/25m
McTominay - £40m
Bailly £500k? :nervous:

Everyone (including Erik, I'm sure) seems to have forgotten about the poor guy.

December_16

Being the one directly succeeding SAF makes it loom a lot larger than the duration and importance it really has in the grand scheme of things. He was there less than a year and there was only two major recruits (Mata, Fellaini) for sums that would be dwarfed by a summer later for one notable exit (Zaha).
It was probably a doomed assignment for anyone, no matter how talented the manager. SAF knew to operate all the internal and arcane politics of the club. And the competition only got stiffer and stiffer.

I do think some would not be as bitterly vitriolic if LVG or Mourinho would have come directly after that and failed. Moyes being perceived as small time & provincial is an aggravating circumstance. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Yeah who knows. It’s all water under the bridge now, we talk about it with a faint scene of nostalgia.

Crimson King

Fair enough I guess. I just don't think I've heard of this happening before.
It happens pretty much every time a player surplus to requirements and on high wages moves to a 'smaller' club. Smaller in the financial sense I mean, in terms of wage budget/structure.

Normally at United we have to just let the contract run out, as we can never get anyone to take them off our hands and come close to the wages the player is on...

glasgow 21

Never good enough for us. Him, Mctominayand Fred represent an era at United where mediocrity was accepted.

Why we spent 80M on him, i dont know.
We spent 80m as a line of pundits were referring him to being the next Bob Moore and that 2018 world cup display and Woodward & Co went weak at the knees.
let face it its a great deal and puts us on a net gain in the balance sheet of circa £25m

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
What is up with hate towards Moyes? He was completely out of depth of course but he was here 7-8 months failed and got fired. He didn't have enough time to do major damage (as Solskjaer did for example).

Did Moyes bashed club after he was fired or something?
He didn't need more time though, his decision to get rid of the PL winning backroom staff and bring in his guys from Everton was more than enough damage before the season even began.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
You need football manager in your life, happens all the time in that. Players won’t leave unless you agree to partial wage coverage switching clubs. Not sure how many players have done this in real life and would love to know of any.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
He didn't need more time though, his decision to get rid of the PL winning backroom staff and bring in his guys from Everton was more than enough damage before the season even began.
He did convince Kroos to join before he was sacked and that changed his mind. What a player he would’ve been for us back then. Moyes in

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s on £190k a week for the next 2 years with his United contract. He’s not going to forget £10m to join West Ham so we will pay the difference.

We are still getting a transfer fee which helps FFP, he gets the compensation for the contract we signed with him. We’re also saving £100k a week.
We won’t pay the whole difference. Because Maguire also doesn’t want to sit on the bench for two more years not playing and losing his place in the England squad, so there’s value for both sides. I am sure it’ll be paid as pennies on the pound. Maybe as little as 2-3m, or as much as 5m. But never the full 10m. That’s assuming West Han are “only” paying him 100k a week, versus our 190k. They may also be paying him a 2-3m signing bonus so they don’t break their wage structure.

So many factors we aren’t aware of.

Plastic Evra

I don't think it's new or unique to Maguire or United & I don't think he is entitled to it in a legal sense. Just a further incentive to convince the player to accept a transfer involving a big pay cut. He's not forced out but MU is keen shifting him out.
I think it's all speculation to be fair ? Certainly the sums involved are.

Bertie Wooster

Pretty much had to be sold this summer for various reasons.

Happy enough with a £30m fee. He's England's regular CB, so could have got more - but I guess given his age and being out of favour here then it's a fair price.

Disappointing that we're apparently having to fund (in whatever way) the difference in wages. Surely he should be on less money dropping down to West Ham, and now being 30, then the deal he negotiated when his stock was higher? But I guess if he was willing to sit on his contract here and not move without it, then it's best just to get the deal done and a younger, quicker replacement brought in.