Maguire | he stays!

MegadrivePerson

Let’s stop saying this nonsense. We’ve just sold the best of our academy centre backs to Luton
It's not nonsense though.

If we'd brought on an Academy defender yesterday, opposition fans wouldn't have been cheering as they were being subbed on.

Maguire is a total laughing stock and we are making a rod for our own back by using him.

I don't blame him at all for staying. We were stupid enough to give him the biggest contract he will ever get and if I were in his position I'd do exactly the same.

He should be left out of all squads completely though. We need to make it 100% clear that he has no future here. The fact he came on yesterday has vindicated his decision to stay.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

If we'd brought on an Academy defender yesterday, opposition fans wouldn't have been cheering as they were being subbed on.

Maguire is a total laughing stock and we are making a rod for our own back by using him.

I don't blame him at all for staying. We were stupid enough to give him the biggest contract he will ever get and if I were in his position I'd do exactly the same.

He should be left out of all squads completely though. We need to make it 100% clear that he has no future here. The fact he came on yesterday has vindicated his decision to stay.
When your 2 first choice CBs and your 3rd choice are all injured OFF COURSE your 4th and 5th choice have to play.

we don’t have a youth CB ready to step in at PL

ii sounds like some of you are more worried about what opposition fans think than engaging the logical parts of your brain

TheGame

So who would you bring on to replace Martinez when he was injured?

MegadrivePerson

So who would you bring on to replace Martinez when he was injured?
Literally anybody apart from Maguire.

Even if an academy player comes on, they are just as likely to make a mistake as Maguire, but they will benefit from not having years of mistakes behind them.

The whole dynamic of the team shifted yesterday when he came on. The first goal kick Onana takes when Maguire is on the pitch he immediately goes long because everybody knows how much of a liability Maguire is.

If we really want to get rid of him, the only way to do it is to leave him out of the squad completely for every single game between now and January. If he keeps getting minutes here and there, he won't lose his England place and he will still feel like he has a future here.

MegadrivePerson

When your 2 first choice CBs and your 3rd choice are all injured OFF COURSE your 4th and 5th choice have to play.

we don’t have a youth CB ready to step in at PL

ii sounds like some of you are more worried about what opposition fans think than engaging the logical parts of your brain
If Maguire and Evans were both injured yesterday, who plays then?

TheGame

Literally anybody apart from Maguire.

Even if an academy player comes on, they are just as likely to make a mistake as Maguire, but they will benefit from not having years of mistakes behind them.

The whole dynamic of the team shifted yesterday when he came on. The first goal kick Onana takes when Maguire is on the pitch he immediately goes long because everybody knows how much of a liability Maguire is.

If we really want to get rid of him, the only way to do it is to leave him out of the squad completely for every single game between now and January. If he keeps getting minutes here and there, he won't lose his England place and he will still feel like he has a future here.
Who is literally anybody? You are acting like Maguire had such a big impact on us as one man which is laughable because he played a couple of long balls. Who are these young players to come in?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If Maguire and Evans were both injured yesterday, who plays then?
Casemiro would have been at CB and maybe AWB. Maybe we would have had a youth player on the bench if both were injured before the game

MegadrivePerson

Then you are going to see perhaps Casemiro and Dalot at CB

who are these youth players that are ready to step in? I’d love to hear
I'd happily take that!

Thinking about it, once Amrabat is up to speed I'd happily drop Casemiro in to the defence if needed.

I don't know enough about the youth team, but the point I'm trying to make is that even if they are massively out of their depth, we are choosing to pick a player that we KNOW is massively out of his depth.

I'd rather take a gamble on an unknown than a sure fire certainty to cause problems.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'd happily take that!

Thinking about it, once Amrabat is up to speed I'd happily drop Casemiro in to the defence if needed.

I don't know enough about the youth team, but the point I'm trying to make is that even if they are massively out of their depth, we are choosing to pick a player that we KNOW is massively out of his depth.

I'd rather take a gamble on an unknown than a sure fire certainty to cause problems.
:rolleyes:

TheGame

I'd happily take that!

:lol:

Anustart89

I love that we’re always one conceded goal away from redcafe wishing we were back in the Blackett/McNair era.

MegadrivePerson

The guy is a total laughing stock.

Every single time he steps on to the pitch he is likely to cost goals. We are picking a player that we know cannot play the way the manager wants the team to play.

The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, yet here we are.

I've tried to understand it, and I've tried backing the managers selection of him, but he's at the point now where its difficult to justify it anymore.

We almost managed to shift him this summer, but he dug his heels in and stayed.
If we really wanted to get him out in January the best strategy would have been to completely leave him out of the squad permanently, so that he would have had to seriously reconsider his options.

The fact that he is playing in an away league game at Arsenal means that he will think that he can work his way back in to the team again.

If any other top Premier League team were still picking him after years of cock ups we'd be laughing our heads off.

It'd be like Liverpool still having Karius in goal or Chelsea still picking Lukaku!

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

We really do not have the lads in the youth academy who can come in and replace Maguire.

We are so quick to bury him to oblivion but our youth defence fecking sucks