Maguire | he stays!

-Supreme-

What are the chances that one of the Saudi clubs go for him if not now but next summer? I wouldn’t be surprised that he’d be more interested to earn his last big contract there than moving to a mid-table PL club, particularly after the WC campaign as that’d be his last meaningful game time at the top level.

Superunknown

What are the chances that one of the Saudi clubs go for him if not now but next summer? I wouldn’t be surprised that he’d be more interested to earn his last big contract there than moving to a mid-table PL club, particularly after the WC campaign as that’d be his last meaningful game time at the top level.
I'm struggling to think why any Saudi club would go for him. The guy is a meme. If they're trying to be 'serious', he's one of the last players I'd expect them to attempt to sign.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s genuinely detrimental to us when he plays. No hatred, booing or any other toxic shite should be sent his way, but it isn’t unfair to point out that he’s a liability nonetheless. He should be kept as far away from the pitch as possible.

Rockets Redglare

I'm struggling to think why any Saudi club would go for him. The guy is a meme. If they're trying to be 'serious', he's one of the last players I'd expect them to attempt to sign.
That may be the case but he’d also be one of the best defenders in the league, I can only think of Laporte and maybe Koulibaly who are anywhere near the same level.

Superunknown

That may be the case but he’d also be one of the best defenders in the league, I can only think of Laporte and maybe Koulibaly who are anywhere near the same level.
I honestly think they'll be looking at many other players before him, though. Not necessarily just Premier League players. Happy to be wrong! I would love nothing more than a Saudi club to take him off our hands.

Rockets Redglare

I honestly think they'll be looking at many other players before him, though. Not necessarily just Premier League players. Happy to be wrong! I would love nothing more than a Saudi club to take him off our hands.
Oh I completely get where you’re coming from and I’d be very surprised if any Saudi team came in for him. He just isn’t a cool player and like you say he’s basically a walking meme these days.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Hopefully he’ll put the window out of his mind and find some form, we’ll need him at times as Varane and Martinez won’t always be fit and we have a lot of games

sirAlexsglasses

This mentality is embarassing.

The club gave him a contract, he is entitled to it. As Chelsea did to Lukaku. Chelsea don't want to sell him at a loss or a reasonable fee for others but refuse to let him train with the mains, it's disgusting treatment.

How would you like it if your work said feck your contract we want you out even if you didn't want to leave? You have to relocate across the country or to a different country on a lower salary? You'd tell them to feck off and you'd stay.
Im sorry but I have to disagree, the player power now is just ridiculous, for example take Nunes who has just moved from Wolves. Wolves took a chance on him and paid a hefty fee and a very high salary. City come in for him 48 hours before the deadline, because Wolves rejected the bid (and they are right to imo as they have zero time to recruit especially for a key player so the general rule is you pay a high premium) Nunes goes on strike (and this isn’t just an isolated incident ) and still collects his salary. it’s the same as players thY want their contract changing mid contract because they have had half a good season. By that logic the club can lower the players salary if they have a sub standard season? There needs to be an overhaul so that neither the player nor the club have too much power.

Fooza

I don't care if he stays but Southgate picking him still is an absolute disgrace, feeds on his ego

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Im sorry but I have to disagree, the player power now is just ridiculous, for example take Nunes who has just moved from Wolves. Wolves took a chance on him and paid a hefty fee and a very high salary. City come in for him 48 hours before the deadline, because Wolves rejected the bid (and they are right to imo as they have zero time to recruit especially for a key player so the general rule is you pay a high premium) Nunes goes on strike (and this isn’t just an isolated incident ) and still collects his salary. it’s the same as players thY want their contract changing mid contract because they have had half a good season. By that logic the club can lower the players salary if they have a sub standard season? There needs to be an overhaul so that neither the player nor the club have too much power.
Wolves can say no and can fine him for not training or refusing to play. The club has plenty power. If a player has a chance for their dream transfer, they should be able to push for it

arnie_ni

I know there's a lot of money at stake but I'll never understand this attitude of not dropping down a bit for regular football. Its different for someone like dalot that's in and out constantly, I can understand him refusing a move, but maguire, can't reconcile it.

West ham would have been a perfect move for him as well. He could have rebuilt his career.

Mctominay is similar but late in the window I can understand why he'd say no to Fulham, it's all a bit rushed but he needs to go as well.

theatreofdreams777

I hope we don't register him in the CL squad. He doesn't deserve to ruin our CL games with his existence. I really don't want to watch him against the likes of Bayern etc even if all our remaining CBs are out injured. Play Casemiro, McTominay etc. at CB before him.

Bobski

Mctominay is similar but late in the window I can understand why he'd say no to Fulham, it's all a bit rushed but he needs to go as well.
McT is "only" on £60K a week and he is at an age where he needs to get his big contract, a year sitting in the stands is not going to do that for him, so would expect a Christmas loan or transfer.

glasgow 21

Wolves can say no and can fine him for not training or refusing to play. The club has plenty power. If a player has a chance for their dream transfer, they should be able to push for it
Yeah and it should be if a player plays sub-standard to expectation a nightmare season, his wages should be reduced too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah and it should be if a player plays sub-standard to expectation a nightmare season, his wages should be reduced too.
Nonsense. He signed a contract. Sucks to suck. The organization worth billions can suck it up or make better decisions in the future. There are labor laws that protect employees and contracts must be honored. If a person wants to leave they are free to try to as it is their own life and a company can't force them to do something they don't want to. Just because they are footballers doesn't mean standard employment rights don't exist or apply.

MonkeysMagic

We now know that money is a bigger motivator for him than game time. I am hopeful a Saudi club comes in for him before their transfer window shuts and if they match the West H offer (they'd be stupid to go higher since we accepted this offer!) then we will take it. Signing Evans pretty much was the final nail in his playing coffin!

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
No hatred, booing or any other toxic shite should be sent his way, but it isn’t unfair to point out that he’s a liability nonetheless.
And you don’t think any of the toxic shite, hated or booing affects his confidence and therefore his performance?
He wasn’t a liability up to and including Lockdown and the EL final he missed. The Greek incident and subsequent injury really seemed to knock his confidence, and then with every foot out of place the guy gets piled on from the ‘fans’. He’s in a no win situation now.

The Dane

Maguire and Donny van de Beek must be in top 10 when it comes to the worst value for money signings in the history of the Premier League. Pogba probably makes the list as well.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Just wanted to share a quick personal anecdote. I'm in Guatemala visiting my wife's family right now. Went out to lunch with her and her brother yesterday and we started chatting football.

First thing her brother (a Barca fan) said was "you're a United fan aren't you? That Maguire guy sucks!"

arnie_ni

McT is "only" on £60K a week and he is at an age where he needs to get his big contract, a year sitting in the stands is not going to do that for him, so would expect a Christmas loan or transfer.
I think eth has made it pretty clear by his actions he isn't in his plans unless absolutely required. I'd personally be looking out for any decent club that would have me. Again, if i was him I'd be livid united rejected that West ham offer. I think he'd have done very well there.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
And you don’t think any of the toxic shite, hated or booing affects his confidence and therefore his performance?
He wasn’t a liability up to and including Lockdown and the EL final he missed. The Greek incident and subsequent injury really seemed to knock his confidence, and then with every foot out of place the guy gets piled on from the ‘fans’. He’s in a no win situation now.
Yeah of course, as I said though I don’t engage in that.