Maguire | he stays!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Pretty interesting that so many people are able to take the high ground when it's not their contract, their job or their life. Very easy to come out with stuff behind a keyboard with absolutely nothing riding on it while taking a dim view of someone else.

I don't see that he's doing anything "wrong." His position may be that he doesn't really want to leave Manchester United and is okay to compete for his place, rather than wanting to leave and trying to have his cake and eat it. Maybe he's saying that he will concede that the manager and club don't really want him and will move on if the club is inclined towards that, but to do that he doesn't want to take a hit on a contract we put in front of him and both parties signed. If it is the choice between losing out financially or staying, he may be saying he would rather stay. There isn't any real contradiction within that position whatsoever.

Ultimately, don't have a go at him for being reluctant to leave the best contract he'll ever have that all parties were all too happy to place ink on. A compromise is probable, but it's not Harry Maguire that's the bad guy, it's not his fault we paid too much for him both on transfer fee and wages and now we're scrambling to reach an acceptable financial package that sees his departure.
I imagine the venn diagram of people slating Maguire for not just leaving because we want him to and the people slating Phil Jones for not just terminating his own contract is essentially a circle.

Alemar

Evans still has a contract?
He has been added to the list of senior players a few days ago on official website, and not only Evans. Fred has been removed (although not Kovar - Matej is still listed as an U21 player so not yet officially sold).

Bondi77

Very different. De Jong had unpaid salary for days he actually worked. Maguire is asking for us to pay future earnings. Even though he could revive his career at another club. He’s the laughing stock of the world but I guess he has no self respect and is happy to stay here for a salary. Even with no football.
If he isn't entitled to it then he won't get it...simples.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m not sure you can go that far. Compensation will only sometimes come in, surely, depending on what is motivating the player. And the stance of the club as well.

The Yes, No, How Much Compensation, is a negotiation like any other. If Maguire actually wants to move and play first team football then he might accept £0 compensation. If he’s not that fussed then it’ll be a compromise. If he just doesn’t want to leave, he could demand full compensation and a pay rise.

No-one could blame him for doing whatever he thinks is best for himself. It’s a short career in terms of earnings but also in terms of opportunities to achieve. Not rotting on the bench would be worth more than money to some players.
He might accept zero he might not. Really I was addressing those posters who were thinking this was a new thing and it was Maguire being greedy. My point is it’s not a new thing and he’s within his right to say how much compensation he wants.

golden_blunder

Staff
Villa have confirmed Mings is out for a lengthy period. Last minute bid from Villa perhaps ? Would possibly suit Harold better to on a personal level
And not help his career because he’d be going to a team walloped 5-1, trying to play a high line beside the Spanish equivalent of Lindelof. If he wants to regain some reputation go to WH and play to his strengths

Gandalf

He has been added to the list of senior players a few days ago on official website, and not only Evans. Fred has been removed (although not Kovar - Matej is still listed as an U21 player so not yet officially sold).
He has not been included in the list of squad numbers submitted to the PL so probably not going to be eligible and his contract has almost expired. MG was listed on the webiste for ages after suspension so don't read too much into that.

golden_blunder

Staff
Its more certainly unreasonable to want to leave your current employment, but also want them to pay you for unearned wages.
The only president for that type of payout is a contract termination.
But he didn’t instigate a leave, United did by accepting a bid

OrcaFat

He might accept zero he might not. Really I was addressing those posters who were thinking this was a new thing and it was Maguire being greedy. My point is it’s not a new thing and he’s within his right to say how much compensation he wants.
I agree he’s entitled to anything he can get. We might say no to what he asks for but he doesn’t have to leave so, equally, it’s down to how much we want him out (which might not be as much as we’d assumed).

In this case I don’t think £0 compensation is on the cards at all but I do think he could end up staying; both parties could use the compensation issue as an excuse to back away from the transfer.

OrcaFat

Big question is will he be in the squad tonight
Yeah. If not we can assume he’s going, surely.

But if he’s in, I won’t be surprised. It seemed like everything was agreed but I wonder if EtH has concerns about being able to get someone better within his budget.

Possibly there is a plan to help whoever has to come in when Varane can’t play; could be playing a different shape?

OrcaFat

PSG accepted a bid for Mbappe but the aren’t covering one year of his wages.
Two questions spring to mind there:
1 Would Mbappe be taking a cut?
2 Does Mbappe want to leave or stay at PSG?
Dynamic is probably quite different in that deal.

cyberman

feck Maguire. When he’s out of contract in two years and barely played he won’t get anywhere near what even West Ham are offering. In 3/4 year blocks he’ll earn less in 4 years than moving now

Erics_Collar

He'll get crucified by the boo boys if he ends up staying and the accepted narrative is that it's because he wanted a (rightfully owed) payoff.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Don’t think that’s true to be honest. Think we’re just waiting to play this game then it will get sorted.

0le

Some people here would believe the Earth was flat if a sports journalist tweeted it.

Newtonius

Had a feeling he might be staying from those ETH quotes, oh boy you thought the abuse he got before was intense.

Devil You Know

I can't even imagine the levels of abuse thats going to be thrown at him if he stays.

But it all just sounds like paper talk and planted stories to hurry along the payoff.
I'm quite a vindictive person at times.

If I were getting booed and abused constantly, I'd probably stick around for the money too - just out of spite. Not unlike what Bale did, two fingers up at Madrid.

That being said, I don't think Maguire will.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The issue seems to be the pay off for the remainder of his contract.

Idxomer

If that is true and if the issue is United wanting to secure a replacement I think it's a little daft of the club. Certainly playing with fire.
The problem is Arnold and Murtough can't really do a deal without overpaying. They definitely can't do that now and stay within the budget.

Alemar

The problem is Arnold and Murtough can't really do a deal without overpaying. They definitely can't do that now and stay within the budget.
Deal is more important. If they can’t stay within budget, go outside the budget.

Idxomer

Deal is more important. If they can’t stay within budget, go outside the budget.
They have been doing that for two summers. It's the reason they are getting quoted 50m for players like Pavard in the last year of his contract.

El Zoido

It’ll still happen. This is just typical transfer gossip to keep clicks up while it’s being sorted.

Blood Mage

He's on ridiculous wages that he'll never see again and he has his future beyond football to think about, of course he's reluctant to leave. It's the Phil Jones situation all over again.

We have to stop handing out huge contracts to average players, it's killing us.