Maguire | he stays!

Mercurial

I'm quite a vindictive person at times.

If I were getting booed and abused constantly, I'd probably stick around for the money too - just out of spite. Not unlike what Bale did, two fingers up at Madrid.

That being said, I don't think Maguire will.
He scored some bangers in semi and UCL finals and was the difference needed at times to win and progress. His concience is and should be clean.

Alemar

They have been doing that for two summers. It's the reason they are getting quoted 50m for players like Pavard in the last year of his contract.
Now they need to dispose of a player, not to sign one.

Mercurial

He's on ridiculous wages that he'll never see again and he has his future beyond football to think about, of course he's reluctant to leave. It's the Phil Jones situation all over again.

We have to stop handing out huge contracts to average players, it's killing us.
Doesn't make sense as we covered the difference. Perhaps there are truth to needing him as some kind of backup?? Something stinks in all this with those ETH comments, a bit unwarranted if exit was on.

Nogho

West Ham don’t want do break there wage structure. Harry wants his money. United don’t want to pay him all at once. They want to pay him during the whole of his new contract. Harry, and his agent, wants all the money up front. It will come down to something in the middle. I guess all the “leaks” just comes down to click bait.

redshaw

The 30 million fee becomes 24 million if the payoff reports are true.

At his age and build I don't see how we can do much better than ~25m to be fair. A questionable buy, probably worth around 50m back then, 4 years on past his peak is about right but with Pavard being difficult to buy maybe ETH is ok with him for another season?

Alemar

Not the point. We only have Lindelof as cover without him.
Not true. We have Mengi who played for U21 yesterday. We have Bailly. There is no problem putting one of them on the bench as the second CB substitute. We can also move Shaw at CB during the game if need be as another solution

Devil You Know

West Ham don’t want do break there wage structure. Harry wants his money. United don’t want to pay him all at once. They want to pay him during the whole of his new contract. Harry, and his agent, wants all the money up front. It will come down to something in the middle. I guess all the “leaks” just comes down to click bait.
If this is about United paying the difference between West Ham's proposed salary and Maguire's current salary, why wouldn't West Ham just offer minimum wage?

That's a serious question. I'm just wondering how it works.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not true. We have Mengi who played for U21 yesterday. We have Bailly. There is no problem putting one of them on the bench as the second CB substitute. We can also move Shaw at CB during the game if need be as another solution
Bailly isn’t involved with the squad and like you say Mengi played yesterday. Shaw isn’t proper cover as we’re missing Malacia.

GoldanoGraham

If this falls through then I can’t see Maguire getting any minutes from ETH - the hostility towards him will increase significantly from the crowd as well.

He may well be digging in for a pay off but he will be the ultimate loser.

For once someone around him honestly needs to tell him to read the room.

Superunknown

Getting quite frustrated at how long this is taking. We suddenly seem to be slowing down in our transfer business, both in and out.

Hulme91

If this falls through then I can’t see Maguire getting any minutes from ETH - the hostility towards him will increase significantly from the crowd as well.

He may well be digging in for a pay off but he will be the ultimate loser.

For once someone around him honestly needs to tell him to read the room.
This fanbase can't even get heated up about an ownership structure that has crippled us for a generation... I'm sure Maguire will be fine with a few more boos

He wants his money and fair play to him, any individual would be doing the same in his situation

OrcaFat

The 30 million fee becomes 24 million if the payoff reports are true.

At his age and build I don't see how we can do much better than ~25m to be fair. A questionable buy, probably worth around 50m back then, 4 years on past his peak is about right but with Pavard being difficult to buy maybe ETH is ok with him for another season?
I suspect EtH might be resigned to not being able to upgrade Maguire in this window and therefore wants to keep him for now.

Bojan Djordjic

If this is about United paying the difference between West Ham's proposed salary and Maguire's current salary, why wouldn't West Ham just offer minimum wage?

That's a serious question. I'm just wondering how it works.
United clearly wouldn't entertain it if they were taking the mick. West Ham probably have a pay structure with a ceiling for players they think are the best players they can attract. The difference United might have to pay him off with will likely be difference between that WH ceiling and what Maguire is on now.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
feck Maguire. When he’s out of contract in two years and barely played he won’t get anywhere near what even West Ham are offering. In 3/4 year blocks he’ll earn less in 4 years than moving now
Time value of money means that

190k X 2 + 50k X 4 > 100k X 4 + 50k X 2

Simply put: more money today is better than more money in 4 years time, all things being equal

Bojan Djordjic

Don't really understand the animosity towards Maguire. Has always been 100% professional even when dicks like CR7 and his cronies were conspiring against him. No matter what you think of him, he's very good as a cover option and I wonder about the same people that want him gone but want Mengi brought in when he doesn't even excel at underage level anymore. In an ideal world I'd prefer him replaced with a younger option more suited to Ten Hag's system but if we're going to have to pay his salary out until the end of his contract even if he goest to West Ham, I'd have no problem with him staying. If I had to keep only him or McT, it'd be McT I'd be getting rid of all day.

worldinmotion66

The irrational desperation to get rid of Maguire, who is now our 5th choice centre back, is probably a big part of the problems he’s been having. Sure, he’s made mistakes. But he’s not without his merits as a footballer and I think he’d perform much better with a sweeper keeper and a bit of support from his own fecking fanbase

Enigma_87

You know who
Two questions spring to mind there:
1 Would Mbappe be taking a cut?
2 Does Mbappe want to leave or stay at PSG?
Dynamic is probably quite different in that deal.
Yeah obviously. We want him gone and trying to cover up our previous feck up (giving him that contract). But still, we haven’t bought out that contract and Maguire can either sit and watch in the stands for two years or try to revive his career.
It depends on how you rate Bale/Bogarde type if decision making.

dinostar77

The irrational desperation to get rid of Maguire, who is now our 5th choice centre back, is probably a big part of the problems he’s been having. Sure, he’s made mistakes. But he’s not without his merits as a footballer and I think he’d perform much better with a sweeper keeper and a bit of support from his own fecking fanbase
He doesnt have the speed or recovery pace for a high defensive line, hence the need to get rid of him. WH will suit him perfectly, low defensive line, no space to run in behind and no need for maguire to be put out of his comfort zone.

OrcaFat

He is potentially our second choice RCB, if he gets his shit together.

But it’s not satisfactory. We need someone to properly compete with Varane but such players are not common or cheap.

Revan

Assumptionman
I suspect EtH might be resigned to not being able to upgrade Maguire in this window and therefore wants to keep him for now.
It would be such a short-term thinking. He will be 31 by next summer, with one year on his contract. Let’s assume that somehow we will be able to sell him for 15’ (a big if), with the wages he is on, it will mean that this year of him as fourth/fifth choice would cost around 25m.

Keeping him will be such a United move.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Seems pretty clear we aren't desperate to get rid if he wants to stay.

Roboc7

Seems pretty clear we aren't desperate to get rid if he wants to stay.
I think we are pretty desperate as trying to pay him off but not a lot anyone can do if he won’t leave.

He will be suing he’s happy to be on the bench, manager will say he’s happy to have him but in reality it’s a standoff until finances can be agreed.