Maguire | he stays!

F-Red

They are not entitled for future salary ffs.
This is the fundamentals of a players contract. Nearly all transfers have player compensation built into it, unless the player is out of contract, the difference here is that Maguire and the club can't agree on a figure.

Ananke

Anyone who willingly takes a 50% pay-cut without compensation when they've two years left on their contract isn't very bright.

Also his financial advisors/agent are telling him to sit tight while a payout is negotiated. I just don't believe you wouldn't do the same in that situation.
I’m not on nearly 200k a week. Would I want to sit around in a club that doesn’t want me for another few years with toxicity brewing and not playing football…pretty 100% certain I wouldn’t.

FriedClams

Him moving to west ham won’t get him a spot at the Euros. He’s awful, and everyone can see it.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
No it’s not his. It’s his on the basis he does his job for the club over the next two years.

Elanga had years left on his contract but we sure as shit didn’t pay him off so he got two wages for one job.
It IS his though. He’s entitled to it even if he never plays.

Fridge chutney

My point is that if he fits in the reserves for two years he won’t even get close to 50k let alone 100k. I’m not sure even a PL club would offer him part time contract and in lower leagues he’ll get 10-20k at best.

Saudi is not an option as he’s not marketable in any shape or form.
I don't agree with your figures at all. He will only be 32 when he exits his United contract. CBs are often still close to their prime at that age, especially those with good injury records like Maguire. He is a meme and out of form but still commands 100k at 30. I don't see him dropping by 80% in 2 years, and even if that happens he will likely end up ahead financially than by leaving millions on the table.

He is making the right decision in my opinion (pressing United to pay the difference).

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I’m not on nearly 200k a week. Would I want to sit around in a club that doesn’t want me for another few years with toxicity brewing and not playing football…pretty 100% certain I wouldn’t.
He's not going to do that though. He'll get a huge payoff. Might not be the full sum but will be millions.

FerociousCorgis

Him moving to west ham won’t get him a spot at the Euros. He’s awful, and everyone can see it.
very much disagree. Southgate loves him and just wants any desperate reason to play him. He trusts him at CB for england so starting weekly for west ham will def get him a spot at the euros.

Shit i wouldnt be surprised if he gets a spot at the euros even if he languishes on our bench all year

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Can you explain how they owe him the money?

Unless I'm missing something, he is asking for the sum of the difference in pay between his contract with us and his new one with West Ham over the next two years.

If I'm correct in that, then he isn't "due" this money at all. He is due the money if he fulfils his contract and stays the next to years. If all parties agree to a transfer (as they must in this scenario) then a kind of break clause is activated in a contract so we can sell and he can leave.

He is essentially playing an extra card here, saying he will only go if paid off. He can try and negotiate this, but we are not obliged to accept and he isn't owed it at all.

Happy to be proven wrong.
He’s owed the money for the remainder of his contract I mean, I’m not saying that if he’s sold, and agrees to he sold he’s still owed it. But as it stands, as a Utd player and is entitled to say he expects to be paid the agreed amount, whether that’s all coming from Utd, or some from West Ham with Utd making up the difference.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm sure we've subsidised quite a few deals recently. We do so even when we loan players who end up not playing (Martial, probably Donny too). I don't get why he isn't paid off to leave. The reality of the situation is he won't be banished to the reserves, we'll be forced to play him because Varane is fragile and Lindelof as well with his back, so we're going to need the fourth centre back. A Shaw-Martinez combo will make our already physically inferior side weaker during set pieces.

Surely we have to get this over the line asap and get in another centre back sharpish.

Withnail

Yeah but you'd surely play hardball a little bit to get a few million in your sky rocket if your agent told you he'd get it for you wouldn't you?

Thing is the deal isn't dead yet. I think it still gets done and we get Pavard in.

RuudTom83

I'm sure I read a few tweets saying United were giving him 6 million.

So it's not a case of posting "United should pay him!" you are basically saying "United should pay him more than £6 million"

I think a 6 million bonus as you walk out the door is fair tbh.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Anyone who willingly takes a 50% pay-cut without compensation when they've two years left on their contract isn't very bright.

Also his financial advisors/agent are telling him to sit tight while a payout is negotiated. I just don't believe you wouldn't do the same in that situation.
Exactly.

Any agent/financial advisor that goes, "yeah you should move on if you have any sense of personal responsibility" (:lol:) should be stripped of their professional license and ability to advise players.

FerociousCorgis

Exactly.

Any agent/financial advisor that goes, "yeah you should move on if you have any sense of personal responsibility" (:lol:) should be stripped of their professional license and ability to advise players.
i mean should the agent not be advising him on his overall career as well? If maguire sits on our bench/reserves and southgate actually has the balls to drop him is the death of his england career worth the extra couple of million? Not sure if being on the team for euros would open up any extra endorsement money or anything, assuming it is prob different than would be over here in USA. I would hope the agent would show him that he is still going to be making a good amount of money to play a game, and that if he loses out on one of the last years on his career a the top level he will regret it. Idk.

Enigma_87

You know who
He's entitled to stay and get paid as per his contract so he is entitled to that money. If we want to get rid of him, he doesn't want to go and the pay cut is massive he's right to ask for a sweetener. I'd think less of him if he didn't.

Are you telling me you'd go to a lesser team with half the wages? You'd just suck it up, would you?
Yes he’s entitled to stay and get paid. He’s not entitled to future earnings. We want to get rid that is much clear.

so he has two options:
1. He stays and picks up his pay check. Most likely he loses his England spot. Loses his all sort of form and his next contract after two years becomes a huge question mark.

2. he takes a pay cut but gets regular playing time. Might keep his place on the national team. Barring injuries he will get much better contract offer after 2 years.

taking option 2 with the benefits from option 1 is cnutish thing to do.

How many cases of pro footballers are there that are similar to Bogarde and similar to flops taking pay cuts to play regularly on another team ?

GoldanoGraham

In the real world you would be sacked/let go when you are unable to perform the job that you were employed to do.

Thing is he will get a nice signing on fee from next club anyway, I understand the perceived entitlement of the rest of the contract but his PR is really doing him no favours whatsoever.

baskinginthesun

We definitely need to replace him so yeah he has some bargaining power. I'd rather we paid the man and got someone else but it depends how close we are to FFP limits. This could all be brinkmanship though and the deal could still get done. West Ham looking at other targets smacks of a negotiating tactic to hurry us up. They aren't going to get another deal over the line in a couple of days either so this will rumble on for the week at least I'd say.
Agreed. Its a slow burn of a transfer. Like you said, this will get done soon.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't agree with your figures at all. He will only be 32 when he exits his United contract. CBs are often still close to their prime at that age, especially those with good injury records like Maguire. He is a meme and out of form but still commands 100k at 30. I don't see him dropping by 80% in 2 years, and even if that happens he will likely end up ahead financially than by leaving millions on the table.

He is making the right decision in my opinion (pressing United to pay the difference).
So if Maguire is sidelined for 2 years, not playing competitive football, with questionable physical attributes at 30, let alone at 32 he’ll command 80k per week? Only in dreamworld.

we see players completely out of form for 2 months during summer break, let alone 2 years..

daba

Jesus wept, take a hint man. Quite literally nobody wants you at this club.

I pray this is just his agent briefing the media to put pressure on us to agree a better settlement.

Zoo

He’s entitled to what he wants. It’s a shame that his England place won’t be in much jeopardy and he knows it. Southgate is all talk and quite conservative, he will still probably pick Jordan Henderson too despite him moving to Saudi.

Enigma_87

You know who
This is the fundamentals of a players contract. Nearly all transfers have player compensation built into it, unless the player is out of contract, the difference here is that Maguire and the club can't agree on a figure.
Not if he’s serving another contract at another club.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
i mean should the agent not be advising him on his overall career as well? If maguire sits on our bench/reserves and southgate actually has the balls to drop him is the death of his england career worth the extra couple of million? Not sure if being on the team for euros would open up any extra endorsement money or anything, assuming it is prob different than would be over here in USA. I would hope the agent would show him that he is still going to be making a good amount of money to play a game, and that if he loses out on one of the last years on his career a the top level he will regret it. Idk.
Realistically this Euros is his last tournament anyway, and he's still got a reasonable chance of making the squad even if he's spent the season playing backup for us.

He's also still likely to command a reasonably high wage leaving us on a free at the end of his contract. The difference is he'll have spent two years on a much higher wage, will possibly be due some form of loyalty payout from us, and could demand a decent signing on fee from the new club.

It'd be terrible advice to tell him to just go.

That said, if he's not managed to convince EtH to play him, I think he's likely to go next summer, if not in January.

RedorDead21

Yeah the ETH comments this week were abit weird and suggested or at least led the player to believe he should stay and fight for his place if he were a real man! Backfired spectacularly

hobbers

Slabhead is persona non grata now then. Move fell through because he sees West Ham as beneath him.

Deserves all the boos and ire that’s going to come his way, while he warms the bench all season and loses his England place.

ETH can also take a chunk of blame for not making it clear to him that he’s not getting a kick this season.

Based Adnan

He started 8 league games last season and that's with him being ahead of Lindelof at the start of the season.

Any notion that he wants to challenge for his place is nonsense. He knows he won't play but is happy to sit on the contract instead of going out to play games.