Maguire | he stays!

romufc

The problem is that he’s a good defender for a team that plays football from the 90’s, and teams that play that way don’t have £50m.

I suspect that figure is just to start negotiations though. He’ll go for £30m plus £10m add ons or something.
West Ham have £50m.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How is he 6-7th choice? don't we have only 4 CBs including him? what's ahead of him? training dummies?

Real Name

Cafe: Why cant we sell our fringe players for high prices like Chelsea or City.

Also Cafe: Why the hell 50 million for Maguire ffs!?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Actually selling them is kinda crucial to the equation.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hope ETH tells him this week where he stands and Maguire decides to leave. I have a feeling he'll want to stay though due to his comfy wages.

Ted Lasso

we’re likely to play a higher line with Onana. Maguire will be finished
I'm not sure Maguire has a future here either, regardless of Onana. But having a GK that can be more resourceful in possession does reduce the pain of having a player like Maguire in the backline.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Turns out the Caf has thousands of members with various different viewpoints, who would've guessed?

bosskeano

can we somehow convince the saudi clubs to come in for Maguire?? i mean ffs they are trying to buy everyone around europe at the moment but this big nose bastard

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
West Ham don't need Maguire. They have a very solid starting CB partnership of Zouma and Aguerd, with both players in their primes and signed long term. They need depth CBs, especially playing in Europe, but Kehrer has shown the ability to do a job there and they may simply resign Ogbonna for another year. Bringing in another depth CB isn't a bad idea, but it won't be a 30-year-old on huge wages for a big fee that would be unhappy on the bench. They have much bigger needs, like a CM replacement for Rice (looking at both JWP and Palhinha) and a new striker, winger, or both who can provide goals (Bowen and Benrahma led the team with six league goals each last year, Scamacca seems to not get along with Moyes and could be heading back out).

Tyrion

I often think about this when reading or posting something negative, do you think players read places like this? Personally i wouldn't be able to help myself even if i know it would be negative.

But that's the thing you have to clarify where they "crossed a line" because a player would have to go out of there way to come here and people should be free to speak their mind in a fan forum regardless of how negative or hateful it is, its not like directly going to their Twitter and taking a shit on their doorstep which is (expected) but obviously not acceptable.
That is a fair point. There is a difference between saying something on the forum and saying it in the comments to his wedding pictures. I just saw it all as "online" but social media does let people be uniquely bad.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I feel like Murtough has looked at this - lot of work, going to be awkward selling him for an acceptable price, then we’ve got to get a replacement who may be 3rd or 4th choice, he’s already got Onana to sort, then a striker. Nah, feck that, too much effort.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I think he's worth easily around 30m. He could do a job at a team that suits him. But with his wages and our ability to sell do I think we'll get what he's worth? No.
Which teams do you think suit him ??
Most teams are looking to play on the front foot with a high line and that really doesn't suit Maguire.

RuudTom83

It's easy to forget that outside of the Saudi deals not a lot of transfers have happened yet...still very early days.

Revan

Assumptionman
I really hope we manage the budget well enough to bring in one or two new defenders with Jones and Bailly both set to leave. Unless Harry improves massively, I just don't see why we should play him ahead of a new guy and one of the kids.
There is no reason to replace Bailly and Jones considering that in the last two seasons, them combined played 8 league comes (so each of them played on average 2 matches per season). Essentially, we signed Varane and Licha to replace them. I do not think many clubs have more than 4 senior CBs in their books.

Even with Harry leaving, we do not necessarily need a CB. Shaw can play there as fourth choice, and we have 2 good backups for him on Dalot and Malacia. 7 players for 4 positions (AWB, Dalot, Varane, Lindelof, Martinez and Shaw) is one too short but not terrible considering that we still might have Williams and some of the young players in an emergency (or Telles if he doesn’t leave).

If we keep Maguire, it would be madness to sign another defender.

Revan

Assumptionman
To be fair, if he was still anywhere near the level of the player we thought we signed, we probably would have gotten £50M.
He is 30. We bought a 28 years old Raphael Varane, who was always far better than Maguire ever was, for 34 million. There are not many CBs that clubs not called Man United buy for 50m or more. And not necessarily for a player who even at his best, was not that great.

Scottynaldinho

People saying he'll stay because of the comfy wages don't understand that he thinks very highly of himself.

Although I'm not a fan I hope he leaves for his sake more. He'll definitely leave if offered a chance given the treatment he has received by the media and fans alike since his move.

USREDEVIL

People saying he'll stay because of the comfy wages don't understand that he thinks very highly of himself.

Although I'm not a fan I hope he leaves for his sake more. He'll definitely leave if offered a chance given the treatment he has received by the media and fans alike since his move.
Which is why he won't settle for a team that is historically below United. But any team at or above the current United squad have no need for an aging refrigerator. Far batter models to be purchased out there. Nodboy wants a used Smeg. They want a nice modern Viking frig or something like that.

crossy1686

career ending
Which is why he won't settle for a team that is historically below United. But any team at or above the current United squad have no need for an aging refrigerator. Far batter models to be purchased out there. Nodboy wants a used Smeg. They want a nice modern Viking frig or something like that.
Problem is he's about 10 years too late, he'd probably be a decent defender in a Fergie team but the game at the elite level has moved past his skillset.

Lentwood

Its funny the hyperbole and total disrespect at times.

People are talking as if nobody will buy him. He's been an integral part of England's first team for 5/6 seasons now, one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Aston Villa start Mings week-in, week out. Tottenham start Eric Dier. Rob Holding and Ben White played regularly for Arsenal last season. Marc Guehi at Palace, Lewis Dunk and Adam Webster at Brighton, Tarkowski and Coady at Everton, Dawson at West Ham...

I could go on, but point is, if Maguire is so terrible, how come he's starting ahead of these lads who all play for Premier League rivals?

He's never relied on pace, so he's still got 3/4 seasons in him - find the idea that someone wouldn't pay £30m/£35m pretty staggering really...if I was David Moyes I'd pay that all day long for a player of Maguire's calibre

Newtonius

People are talking as if nobody will buy him. He's been an integral part of England's first team for 5/6 seasons now, one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Aston Villa start Mings week-in, week out. Tottenham start Eric Dier. Rob Holding and Ben White played regularly for Arsenal last season. Marc Guehi at Palace, Lewis Dunk and Adam Webster at Brighton, Tarkowski and Coady at Everton, Dawson at West Ham...

I could go on, but point is, if Maguire is so terrible, how come he's starting ahead of these lads who all play for Premier League rivals?

He's never relied on pace, so he's still got 3/4 seasons in him - find the idea that someone wouldn't pay £30m/£35m pretty staggering really...if I was David Moyes I'd pay that all day long for a player of Maguire's calibre
"I wouldn't be playing every game for Manchester United in the starting eleven if I'd been playing bad every game. There's a reason why both managers have put me in the starting eleven every game."

Shit managers playing conservative football that's why, not a coincidence ETH comes in and almost immediately drops him.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham

The problem is he is getting on in age so there will be no resell value, which in the days of ffp is important.

His wages also make him unaffordable for most outside of the big teams . For example at West Ham he would break our current wage structure by about 30-40%...and he just isnt the age and quality to justify that happening.

A 27 year old Maguire on 120k wages gets sold for 30-35 million. A poorly out of form, 30 year old on near 200k a week justbwont attract any interest at that sort of price range, the total package would be somewhere in the 60-70 million range, and no club that you could argue he'd be good enough for these days will stomach that when cheaper alternative can be found on a half of those wages.

Doracle

How do you think Terry would do in a modern system like the one EtH wants to play? I think he'd struggle the same as Maguire has, although I think Terry was a much much better CB than Maguire ever was, (but he's also thick as two short planks).

I can't picture Terry taking the ball on the half turn and being press resistant, he seems like a hoof it long type, but I only ever watched Chelsea when we played them or in the odd CL game when we weren't involved. Maguire needs to find a club playing a retro style, and I hope he finds one soon.
Can’t stand the guy but he would still be an outstanding CB today. Very good on the ball and phenomenal positioning/anticipation. If Terry and Ferdinand were 25 they would be the best CBs in the league today.