Maguire | he stays!

Revan

Assumptionman
Go get Tah then? He's not as good.

50% pay cut would be a ridiculous ask considering what you pay worse players.

30m isn't a big fee for someone like Maguire, you're just being tight. Which is fine, but let's not pretend like 20m is some sort of good deal for us.
Even if he drops his salary to 150k/week, at 4 year contract, he will cost them 30m in wages. Add 30m in salary and he would cost them 60m, with 0 resale value and after he has become 30.

For context, we got him when he was better, and in these 4 years he cost us 80m in transfer fee and 40m in wages so 120m. If we get 30m from him, he would have cost us 90m. While he was 4 years younger.

Now let’s be real. He is considered a unanimously terrible transfer. Getting a 4 years older version of him for 33% cheaper is also a terrible transfer. It does not make much sense from other club’s POV.

The faster we learn that he is not an asset but it is a liability the better.

Sanche7

I don't think we will get 40 million for him. He's not a bad player and will do well at West Ham, but being 30 years old and on high wages doesn't help. Expecting something like 30+5 or something similar.

Steve 007

5 years ago, yeah. His form and confidence are down, and there’s no doubt a very good player in there but at the end of the day he’s 30, allergic to the ball at his feet, currently 5th choice, and we need money. People saying the market is inflated, he should be worth X, Y or Z etc aren’t necessarily wrong, but nobody else wants him.

We can’t afford to be too picky, or we’ll be stuck with him for another year, paying him 200k to make cameo appearances off the bench where he makes the entire ground nervous again, only to sell him for even less next summer anyway. Just draw a line under it, cut our losses and move on.
Ten Haag is forcing him out. Utd know what interest there is in him. So know what they can get for him. No one’s first offer is a final one, every club low balls. We’ve offered 40m apparently for Hojilund, let’s see what we pay.

I can see Harry following the money and going to the land that just made Henderson the highest paid English player.

buckooo1978

25m perhaps with a few more in add ons with his wages gone would represent a great deal for United

He is dead weight and with Onana and a more passing style he will be exposed further.

the market for Maguire is a narrow one unless a team gets a key injury at CB

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Maguire being primarily a Woodward vanity signing,
Criticise Ed all you want but Mourinho and Ole were desperate for him.
So much so he was made captain before ink even dried on his contract.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We need another 6-8m to balance his amortization. I would definitely take 26-28m for him though. People on here are crazy suggesting we should be holding out for 35-40m considering his wages. There won't be other suitors at that price.
Yeah but it’s not West Ham’s fault we overpaid, we may just have to take the hit. Anywhere between 20 and 30 probably a good deal for all parties, and I can see it getting done. Obviously I’d rather it was the higher end, but I just want him gone now.
Ten Haag is forcing him out. Utd know what interest there is in him. So know what they can get for him. No one’s first offer is a final one, every club low balls. We’ve offered 40m apparently for Hojilund, let’s see what we pay.

I can see Harry following the money and going to the land that just made Henderson the highest paid English player.
Yeah I think they’ll go up to 25m if we really tried, but if we want Hojlund and Amrabat in place before the start of the season we may need to just take it. Assuming that’s how these things work, and we couldn’t just sell Maguire afterwards, that is.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I guess Spurs in as a second player in the pursuit of Harry is the key to whether we get a decent fee or not.

Wing Attack Plan R

20m is an insult. How much are the centre backs he keeps out of the England side worth?
The market is inflated so he’s worth 40m.
You do not get a half decent player for under 40m. Harry is a half decent player who was wanted by both Mourinho and Pep when he came to us. Just because it hasn’t worked doesn’t make him a bad player, for 20m he is a good sub for us.
If what you’re saying is true, we’d already have multiple offers.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
My concern is that if £20m is the max anyone is willing to pay, we should take it.
In a year’s time, we would have a 31 year old CB the coach doesn’t want, on 230k a week, that’s worth no more than £10m and would have cost £10m+ in wages.
We have no leverage here.
If West Ham increase their bid, we will be lucky.

AneRu

Twenty million in this market is taking the piss but if we get an offer of thirty million pounds or thereabouts then we should sell. There is no point in holding out for a bigger fee and then have to keep him for far longer when he adds little value to the side and his importance, as third choice RCB, is easy to replace. I'd hazard its cheaper to sell him for thirty million and sign a younger CB for forty million on a hundred grant per week in wages - that's close to what we got Licha for.

Borussia Teeth

Even if he drops his salary to 150k/week, at 4 year contract, he will cost them 30m in wages. Add 30m in salary and he would cost them 60m, with 0 resale value and after he has become 30.

For context, we got him when he was better, and in these 4 years he cost us 80m in transfer fee and 40m in wages so 120m. If we get 30m from him, he would have cost us 90m. While he was 4 years younger.

Now let’s be real. He is considered a unanimously terrible transfer. Getting a 4 years older version of him for 33% cheaper is also a terrible transfer. It does not make much sense from other club’s POV.

The faster we learn that he is not an asset but it is a liability the better.
Very good post! Idiots on here will still insist we should get 30-40m though. "But, but England international" and "but, but market inflation."

Posters on here don't seem to know when we should cut our losses. Strange considering our history with the likes of Bailly, Lingard, Darmian, Romero, Rojo etc. Maguire will be worth a lot less next summer and will cost a lot of money sat on the bench.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
My concern is that if £20m is the max anyone is willing to pay, we should take it.
In a year’s time, we would have a 31 year old CB the coach doesn’t want, on 230k a week, that’s worth no more than £10m and would have cost £10m+ in wages.
Except £20M isn't the maximum fee. It's a starting offer that we were absolutely right to reject.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Chrelsea paid 34m for Koulibaly and sold for 17m. He’s 3 years older than Maguire. It doesn’t matter who’s selling him, it’s about what he’s worth. We should aim for 40m and accept 30m with various achievable add ons.
Saudi Arabia called for him. We can get a good deal for Maguire only if a S Arabia club calls. With his meme reputation, that is unlikely to happen.

Koulibaly had a terrible season but overall on his career, he was far better than Maguire. He also was not a meme. And we are already getting offered more than what Koulibaly went for.

Enigma_87

You know who
Twenty million in this market is taking the piss but if we get an offer of thirty million pounds or thereabouts then we should sell. There is no point in holding out for a bigger fee and then have to keep him for far longer when he adds little value to the side and his importance, as third choice RCB, is easy to replace. I'd hazard its cheaper to sell him for thirty million and sign a younger CB for forty million on a hundred grant per week in wages - that's close to what we got Licha for.
Come on now. Pau Torres just went to Villa for 31.5m, Nathan Collins went to Brentford for 23m pounds. Both on lower wages approaching their prime in their early to mid 20s.
Has another 30years old defender on ridiculous wages moved for 30-40m pounds lately? Who is also not wanted by the club..

AneRu

So we are due to pay him circa 30m in wages over the next three seasons and people are clamouring for a £40m transfer fee! If no other bidder comes we should take whatever their third official bid is and get rid. In my post above I argue that its more economic to take a £30m bid for him and sign a younger CB on a £100k/week than it is to forgo a fee and keep him. If we don't sell him this summer then next season we will be giving him away a la Sanchez.

Hammondo

Well there are many things to consider.

High wages being an obvious one, way above his value.

No sell on value.

Very little demand for him, just not much interest for him.

If we don't sell him he's costing us money and losing value.

Clubs know we want rid badly.

We won't get more than £30 imo, we might be lucky to get that.

On a side note anyone mentioning that he's an England player, irrelevant, they either want him or they don't, playing for England doesn't make a difference.

His marketing value is terrible.

Irrational.

The preoccupation with age and resale value is hilarious :lol:

He’s 30 FFS, defenders can play well into their mid 30’s.

So we’re absolutely right to demand £40m for him. WH can feck off, the cheap cockney Mark Noble loving cnuts.

Hammondo

The preoccupation with age and resale value is hilarious :lol:

He’s 30 FFS, defenders can play well into their mid 30’s.

So we’re absolutely right to demand £40m for him. WH can feck off, the cheap cockney Mark Noble loving cnuts.
You can demand what you want but the market determines what he goes for, and whoever buys him won't get jack shit for him if they try to sell.

dalriada

Criticise Ed all you want but Mourinho and Ole were desperate for him.
So much so he was made captain before ink even dried on his contract.
At the time he was considered a good signing based on his form at Leicester and the England team. It wasn't just the club and team management, a lot of the fans (including plenty of people on this forum) rated him. For whatever reason, his confidence has looked shot for a long while.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Rejecting 20m bid was right. 35-40m is decent price considering FFP regulations

Wing Attack Plan R

It really should be a question of: does he improve the team? The answer is no. Whatever his skill level and skill set might be, it’s not what we need. All the public perception and playing for England blah blah blah means nothing. He was in the team for a few years, we were terrible, and now we are building a new team with a new style - and he’s surplus to requirements.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Well there are many things to consider.

High wages being an obvious one, way above his value.

No sell on value.

Very little demand for him, just not much interest for him.

If we don't sell him he's costing us money and losing value.

Clubs know we want rid badly.

We won't get more than £30 imo, we might be lucky to get that.

On a side note anyone mentioning that he's an England player, irrelevant, they either want him or they don't, playing for England doesn't make a difference.

His marketing value is terrible.
And Harry is in no rush at all. If he can't get a move to a club on the top-half of the PL table this summer, he can sit on his contract, knowing that by December 2024 he will be able to negotiate as a free player the last big contract of his career. If he's willing to go so that he can play football, i'd take anything close to 25 million. Even better, should a bigger offer arrive. But if the opportunity is there, playing tough and demanding other clubs to compensate us for our unsuccessful choices will be just another bad call in a hand already played badly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don’t think he’s in his prime. He’s on decline and will have zero resale value for West Ham. Paqueta, if sold, most likely will either be sold at premium or keep his value. Maguire most likely will lose his place if he stays.

if we don’t sell him now next year at 31, a reserve player, with a limited game - we won’t find suitors even at 10m, especially given the wages.

It’s a lot like many of our outgoings - we miss the time when the player still has some value and lose him on free or pittance after a year.
That's how I see it. And I suspect that everyone know that you are right but people are also stuck with the price that we paid or the price that someone else paid for a totally different player in a totally different context. I don't mind the idea of trying to get more but 20m is a good starting point.

If United offered 20m to West Ham for the current version of Maguire, people wouldn't be happy, they would question the club's scouts, Murtough, Fletcher and ETH.

Irrational.

You can demand what you want but the market determines what he goes for, and whoever buys him won't get jack shit for him if they try to sell.
But… £20 million! I don’t think you’d even get a Championship level defender for that much.

It’s an insulting offer to gauge how desperate we are to sell, I think they’ll be back.

Woodzy

We will get £30m for him eventually. For all the shit we give him he will instantly be the best defender in a team like West Ham.

Hammondo

We will get £30m for him eventually. For all the shit we give him he will instantly be the best defender in a team like West Ham.
As others have mentioned, that's not exactly true, he's on a similar level to their current defenders.

Ollie Derbyshire

If up to some on here we’d let half the squad go for free just because they’re on high wages.

£20M is a joke of an offer, minimum has to be £30. Most including me say we are terrible at selling players but we can’t just give them away. It looks like we are trying to get better at not being fleeced when we buy players and equally we have to try and get as much as possible for decent players when we sell them. Maguire is a top half PL player, he would be a great asset for a team like West Ham who have landed the lottery by getting £105M for Rice. If they don’t want him that much, walk away, I’d rather keep him and play him in the cups irrelevant of his wages. We are shifting other players out who’ll play even less so all good.

Saudi’s will come in for him next year and he’ll leave if he’s only playing a handful of games for us.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If up to some on here we’d let half the squad go for free just because they’re on high wages.

£20M is a joke of an offer, minimum has to be £30. Most including me say we are terrible at selling players but we can’t just give them away. It looks like we are trying to get better at not being fleeced when we buy players and equally we have to try and get as much as possible for decent players when we sell them. Maguire is a top half PL player, he would be a great asset for a team like West Ham who have landed the lottery by getting £105M for Rice. If they don’t want him that much, walk away, I’d rather keep him and play him in the cups irrelevant of his wages. We are shifting other players out who’ll play even less so all good.

Saudi’s will come in for him next year and he’ll leave if he’s only playing a handful of games for us.
Better let him go for free if £30 is all you want.

Hammondo

If what you say is even close to being correct, we will see top half teams making bids for him, and West Ham will clearly make higher and higher bids.

Ollie Derbyshire

As others have mentioned, that's not exactly true, he's on a similar level to their current defenders.
I think it’s easy to down play the quality of your own players to a point where they’d not even make your local Sunday team. He’d still be a very good player for some other teams.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
If his salary is the biggest problem why doesn't United try to make him accept a lower salary and pay him the difference if he leaves? Give him an additional 5M and be done with it?

Wing Attack Plan R

But… 20 million! I don’t think you’d even get a Championship level defender for that much.

It’s an insulting offer to gauge how desperate we are to sell, I think they’ll be back.
It’s not an insult. They want to buy our 5th choice CB. We don’t need him. We drop out number, like £40m and meet in the middle, £30m (including add-ons).

Hammondo

I think it’s easy to down play the quality of your own players to a point where they’d not even make your local Sunday team. He’d still be a very good player for some other teams.
Then the bids will come. It's not down to us at the end of the day, his value is determined by the market.

If we are downplaying how good he is, the market will show we are wrong.

Lee565

35 million at least, even 30 feels a bit cheap, he's an England starter and you see far more bang average defenders get sold for more than that

Ollie Derbyshire

If what you say is even close to being correct, we will see top half teams making bids for him, and West Ham will clearly make higher and higher bids.
I’ve already said it depends on how much they really want him, if they do, they will, if not they’ll get someone from Europe who’ll not be as good. Up to them.

You do realise that bottom half teams buy better players to get into the top half? I’d put money on him playing for a top half team for the next couple of years.

£20M is an initial ‘feeling out’ bid at best, West Ham know we’ll not sell him for that.

Ollie Derbyshire

Then the bids will come. It's not down to us at the end of the day, his value is determined by the market.

If we are downplaying how good he is, the market will show we are wrong.
Agreed. And if we don’t get one that matches our valuation we keep him and utilise him as we see fit.

Hammondo

I’ve already said it depends on how much they really want him, if they do, they will, if not they’ll get someone from Europe we’ll not be as good. Up to them.

You do realise that bottom half teams buy better players to get into the top half? I’d put money on him playing for a top half team for the next couple of years.

£20M is an initial ‘feeling out’ bid at best, West Ham know we’ll not sell him for that.
And how much they want him and what other options there are is what we call the market, and determines his value.

If they can go elsewhere for a player for what they consider a better deal, then that suggests he's overpriced.

RedIan

Just had a look in the west-ham forum. KUMB. Posters there are very keen to take McTominay but they dont want Maguire. His regular mistakes don't go unnoticed. Id accept £25mil for him and save £20mil on his wages for the next 2 years.