Maguire | he stays!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It is not though. It is the highest ever fee for a CB who is 30 years old or more. Just cause we overpaid Leicester by 30-40m when he was 26 (and actually good), doesn't mean that 30m is a pathetic fee. Raphael fecking Varane after winning a World Cup, 4 UCL, being likely a top 3 CB in the world, at 28 years old actually cost 34m.
Koulibaly last season?

Having said that it's a very good deal for us.

Superunknown

Doubt they'll be this unhappy when he's one of their best players
I think that's their issue. If they are selling off their better players, including Paqueta - one of their more exciting players, they could end up playing a more defensive, conversative, 'worse' style of football. It's a downgrade on the rest of the squad that concerns them.

Curious to see what happens with them for the rest of the window. If Paqueta does go for a big fee, I wonder who exactly they're targeting to redevelop the squad. This is already coming off a bad season. Could be a really, really difficult season for them if they don't reinvest that money wisely.

Hackman2210

I'll be the first to say it - He'll be player of the year at West Ham this season. Confidence is a huge factor in a playe. Look at him for England - he's dominant. If the WH fans can get behind him, he'll be their best defender since the last one (sorry for my limited knowledge of WH centre backs).
Good luck to him for fecks sake - too many haters on this forum. We all wanted him 3 years ago. Fickle feckers in the cafe as usual.

crossy1686

career ending
I think that's their issue. If they are selling off their better players, including Paqueta - one of their more exciting players, they could end up playing a more defensive, conversative, 'worse' style of football. It's a downgrade on the rest of the squad that concerns them.

Curious to see what happens with them for the rest of the window. If Paqueta does go for a big fee, I wonder who exactly they're targeting to redevelop the squad. This is already coming off a bad season. Could be a really, really difficult season for them if they don't reinvest that money wisely.
Have they ever played 'good' football?

RuudTom83

Nice! lets convert it into euros to make it look bigger...that's what we do with any United transfer right?

€40.5 million euros is a fantastic price for Maguire. Congrats to the club.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I'll be the first to say it - He'll be player of the year at West Ham this season. Confidence is a huge factor in a playe. Look at him for England - he's dominant. If the WH fans can get behind him, he'll be their best defender since the last one (sorry for my limited knowledge of WH centre backs).
Good luck to him for fecks sake - too many haters on this forum. We all wanted him 3 years ago. Fickle feckers in the cafe as usual.
Two seasons of absolute shite and wanting him out on that basis is fickle?

Are we supposed to let him stink up the place for a decade before considering selling him?

prateik

He really needed this.. He is much better than he has been for us over the last 2 season.. the fans got on his back and he never fully recovered..

A step back will be great for him.. He really is a good defender.. just not best suited to our setup and all the attention clearly got to him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Surely he's massively relieved and can't wait to get out? Can't imagine it's been a fun couple of years for him and his family.
If he doesn’t hit the ground running at WH, it looks like he has the exact same scenario ahead of him, and unlike us, they give their undesirables both barrels. Hope it works out for him otherwise it’ll be waking up from a nightmare inside another nightmare.

Member 101269

Nice! lets convert it into euros to make it look bigger...that's what we do with any United transfer right?

€40.5 million euros is a fantastic price for Maguire. Congrats to the club.
Thne ignore the conversion? 40.5m for Maguire, great recovery deal.

Revan

Assumptionman
Koulibaly last season?

Having said that it's a very good deal for us.
Fair, he was 31 and cost 33m. Which leaves Maguire second.

It is a great deal for us, and I think that at least for a couple of years, it is gonna be a good deal for West Ham. In the final one-two years of his contract, a 34-35 years old Magure is definitely gonna be a massive liability though.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I share this opinion. He hasn't been good enough for us, and the pressure of captaincy crumbled him. No one rejects that opportunity of being a captain at United. Should he have stepped down on his own accord? He'd have been called a coward who can't handle pressure.

He's a good player, just mentally not strong enough for a club as big as United. The damage has been done, and he'll never win over the, some, cruel haters among the fanbase.

I'm glad he's leaving as it means I don't need to see him shivering at the back for us again, but also for the good of his career.

It's no good for a man's mental health to having to put on a brave face and be a meme on British soil as well as abroad when applying his trade.

He'll do well there.

Steve 007

Think so, and I hope he does. I also hope United supporters welcome him when he comes to Old Trafford. The abuse he's had to take has been embarrassing.
I agree, he’s a human being, he lost his form and couldn’t regain his confidence. I hope he does well at West Ham and shows his best form for them. Having said that I’m glad he’s gone and hope we get a decent young replacement.

crossy1686

career ending
If he doesn’t hit the ground running at WH, it looks like he has the exact same scenario ahead of him, and unlike us, they give their undesirables both barrels. Hope it works out for him otherwise it’ll be waking up from a nightmare inside another nightmare.
I get the feeling Moyes is going to protect him and play him in a role that he's extremely comfortable with. He'll come out and say he's not been fit at United, he's been used wrong, he's a good defender in the right set up etc.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
after reading this thread, he’s determined to stay and fight for his place.

Superunknown

Have they ever played 'good' football?
Not last season, but their last 5 league finishes were:

22/23 - 14th
21/22 - 7th
20/21 - 6th
19/20 - 16th
18/19 - 10th

It's going to be an interesting season for them. I imagine he'll do a good, solid job for them in all honesty. But, I imagine they'll be under the pressure in many games and may struggle with goalscoring/creativity, which then puts further pressure on their defence to keep the score lines down. Tempted to say it's going to be a similar season to last year rather than the one before.

bstb3

If Moyes gets this and McTominay over the line, he's going to be having a redemption arc rivalling Anakin Skywalker..

Good luck to Maguire though, honestly, it's not worked but no reason really to hate on the guy. Hopefully he gets some decent seasons now (except playing against us).

jadaba

Honestly it's a positive deal for everyone. I hope he works out well for them.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Not last season, but their last 5 league finishes were:

22/23 - 14th
21/22 - 7th
20/21 - 6th
19/20 - 16th
18/19 - 10th

It's going to be an interesting season for them. I imagine he'll do a good, solid job for them in all honesty. But, I imagine they'll be under the pressure in many games and may struggle with goalscoring/creativity, which then puts further pressure on their defence to keep the score lines down. Tempted to say it's going to be a similar season to last year rather than the one before.
I know they've done pretty well in the league over the course of Moyes' tenure and before but I can't remember watching them and thinking they were good to watch. I think they'll probably have a better season this season if Moyes gets completely his own way with these transfers.

Idxomer

He'll remember again how to hit the target from corners in WHU which will make him an instant success for them.

Djemba-Djemba

19/20 he was average I'd say.

20/21 started horribly but recovered and by the end was having a very good season. Easily the best he had at Utd.

21/22 An absolute disaster, one of the worst individual seasons I can ever remember a Utd player having

22/23 Dropped to the bench for most of the season, when he did play he wasn't very good.

All in all , he's been a shocking transfer. To get 30m for him is brilliant.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Looks like a fee has been agreed. Good. He needed out of the club. He is decent but was never a £80m player, spending that much on him was a big mistake.

crossy1686

career ending
Looks like a fee has been agreed. Good. He needed out of the club. He was never a £80m player, spending that much on him was a big mistake.
That fee looks even worse when we had previously agreed £50m and then cancelled the deal last minute because Mourinho had a tantrum.

Rossa

I agree, he’s a human being, he lost his form and couldn’t regain his confidence. I hope he does well at West Ham and shows his best form for them. Having said that I’m glad he’s gone and hope we get a decent young replacement.
Absolutely. At the time of signing him, I was never convinced he was the right move for United. In all honesty, I felt he was a downgrade on Smalling, and to this day I still feel he was/is. He may be slightly better with the ball, but the difference isn't as stark as the other attributes. They may be similar in the air, but I think Smalling pips him there, but in terms of speed, agility, one on one defending etc, Smalling is leagues above. Strange voice though...