Maguire | he stays!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I just looked at the West Ham Reddit to take a look at their reaction.

I'll be polite and say the reaction is not positive.
Not surprised. As United fans we just want to see him gone, so there's a lot of "he'll be excellent for them" type of talk which I'm not on board with. I don't blame West Ham fans for not wanting him! They've seen the guy be fecking awful for two years, and now they're stuck with him. Incredible move for us, not so much for them I don't think.

Quagmire Maguire

McTominay and Maguire gormlessly standing around in the middle of the pitch for some other team is also going to a site to behold.
I agree! Definitely very happy to see players that are far from good enough finally being shown the door. We seem to be acting like a club with ambitions to compete at the top again, but we will see..

Mike Smalling

Getting £30m for Maguire would also put a different spin on the Mount and Højlund transfers, in my opinion. Paying roughly twice as much for each of those as we get for Maguire sounds quite reasonable given their respective ages and quality. The market really does seem to be a bit crazy.

TsuWave

People still pretending his first two years were "good"?

Guy was a catastrophic signing. Good luck for the future, though I expect West Ham fans will be calling for his and Moyes' head soon

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Good for both. He's a reasonable defender if you're playing 2010 style football halfway up the table. Perfect for West Ham.

Ronaldo's Love Child

I never took to the bloke and I'm delighted he's going. But, he was captain here, so I wish him the best at West Ham. Hopefully he starts well, because the fans will be quick to get on his back, I imagine.
Being Captain means nothing if a player doesn't behave like a Captain.

I remember watching United games during the pandemic with empty stadiums. You could hear the players talking and shouting at each other.

Maguire was quiet as a mouse.

Even during defensive set pieces where a defender who is also Captain should be marshaling his players he was silent

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
Not surprised. As United fans we just want to see him gone, so there's a lot of "he'll be excellent for them" type of talk which I'm not on board with. I don't blame West Ham fans for not wanting him! They've seen the guy be fecking awful for two years, and now they're stuck with him. Incredible move for us, not so much for them I don't think.
In all fairness we had much the same commented when Dawson came yet he ended up in the europaleague team of the season.

If Moyes can pull off even half that level of improvement then Maguire then he'd be good even at his price.

Alot of people frankly just want to meme on him, that won't change whether he plays at West Ham, Man Utd or Cardiff City...

Bobade

Wish him all the best, this would be a good deal for us and I think he'll be good for West Ham. He's had some good runs of performances here, despite what many people would like to believe.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
There is something wrong with the bloke if he walks into West Ham and happily takes the captains armband. Still happy if that element helps convince him to go though.
What is wrong with the bloke if he does that?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Can't wait for Maguire's knee slide in front of the Stretford End when he inevitably scores in West Ham's 1-0 win at OT this season.
You lost me in the 0 goals conceded West Ham Maguire lead defense

scottser

thanks be to holy god and all the angels and saints and the blessed virgin watch and protect over us be the sacred HEART of the sweet and precious lord jesus CHRIST thank feck for that.
good luck harry - you're gonna need it.

Jev

People still pretending his first two years were "good"?

Guy was a catastrophic signing. Good luck for the future, though I expect West Ham fans will be calling for his and Moyes' head soon
Second season was very good. First was okay. Glad we're selling him at a good price.

Fabio Rochemback

I was starting to worry he'd stay.

Easily the worst signing the club have made in my lifetime. I know that he had one decent fairly good season, which is more than some other expensive flops can say (Sancho, Sanchez, Di Maria etc). The reason why he is a worse signing than them, is because it was very, very fecking obvious that he wasn't worth anywhere near that amount of money.

Theo88

:lol:

All flags are flying half mast for this season then.

This probs means we are signing a cb to cover. Good deal for both parties. He got a lot of hate but all in all, this is who he is, not his fault he didnt blossom into a Vidic out of the blue.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In all fairness we had much the same commented when Dawson came yet he ended up in the europaleague team of the season.

If Moyes can pull off even half that level of improvement then Maguire then he'd be good even at his price.

Alot of people frankly just want to meme on him, that won't change whether he plays at West Ham, Man Utd or Cardiff City...
As a United fan I'm just over the moon that he's finally gone. The booing of him is absolutely ridiculous, and if he smashes it at West Ham then all the best to him. I genuinely don't care how this transfer works out really, to be blunt about it. He's not our problem anymore.

But I can understand the mostly negative (or at least is seems that way) reaction from West Ham fans over this transfer. I'm just not on board with the "oh, he'll be excellent for them" talk. He's been declining rapidly for the past two years or so. He can get back to being a decent defender, especially away from the spotlight of United, but it's going to be difficult.

This is absolutely a much better deal for United than it is for West Ham, IMO.

M16Red

Not fan, far from it. But a wish him good luck at his new club

Hackman2210

Two seasons of absolute shite and wanting him out on that basis is fickle?

Are we supposed to let him stink up the place for a decade before considering selling him?
It’s fickle cos we all wanted him in the first place. He played in a shite team under a shite manager and with a poor midfield ahead of him.
So yes it is fickle

Sir Chapman

Fantastic news finally! It feels like a new signing, just the other way around.

Next: McT. for 40 Mio. £.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
They’ve got a bargain when you consider what 30m actually gets you in this day and age. Tarkowski and Michael Keane went for the same money, league 1 kids are going for 20…

His confidence is through the floor, but if they build that up again they’ve got a brilliant defender for a steal.

Mr Smith

In the scenario that West Ham now signs Maguire, Edson Alvarez and Ward-Prowse for the money they got from selling Declan Rice, I would claim that's money well spent from them and that they've strengthened their team from previous season.

I both think and hope that Maguire will do well for West Ham, I wish him the best!
I'd agree, that's very good business for them. Though they arguably should have used some of that money on a striker with Scamaca leaving, Ings crocked, and Antonio past his best, they may regret that.

Wish Maguire all the best, shame it didn't work out here but he was always going to struggle with that insane price tag round his neck; he should benefit from a fresh start.Truth is though he should never have been signed, and I'm glad the club is moving away from paying stupid fees or letting rivals drive up the price for our targets.

Robertd0803

Great deal, even if it doesnt work this way we spent 80 on him and are getting 30 back so probably did get 50 million worth out of him (about 49millions worth in the first 2 seasons then 1 million since but anyway).

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Biggest news of the summer for me as a United fan is this guy departing. A long never-ending bad dream finally coming to an end.

jeepers

Nothing against Maguire, really don't understand the vitriol he's received here recently, but I don't think this is a good deal for the Hammers longterm. I think he's declining quite rapidly.
He will do well for them but I see him aging badly.

Thank feck the club found a buyer. Really surprised how much better at selling players the club has become
Agreed on his decline. I don’t think he will do well at West Ham either.

Jacob

Maguire, Ward-Prowse and Scott for the price of Rice is not too bad.

croadyman

Good luck to him. Never disrespected the club but for some reason got booed by idiotic fans for his limitations on the football field.
Yeah completely agree,now you will get that starting spot for Gareth in Euros. God I am so gutted we didn't do it a month ago. FFS we could have got Kim before Bayern did

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
There goes one of the best CBs I have ever seen. West Ham have gotten a bargain and we will look back on this day with sadness and regret :'(

roseguy64

Now we have signed Evans for a year I would be surprised if Maquire wasn't sixth choice (remember Shaw as CB too), actually given that he plays the role for Scotland, would even rather keep McT as a CB option.

Regardless of this I do not feel comfortable fielding Maquire even in Carling cup games, I am not sure I can remember the last game he played and did not have a howler.

He may improve if he gets his confidence back playing under Moyes system and good luck to him, I would take any offer just to get rid, at this point he is just a distraction brings absolutely nothing to the table and if we had to rely on him for any length of time as a first 11 starter well could kiss any silverware goodbye
Evans has not been signed for a year. He's also not better than Maguire.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I can't believe how many mistakes he's made and how bad he's been for us and people are still saying he's a good player. I think he was useless for us and he'll be useless for them. But it's all about opinions, I'm delighted he's gone, possibly more exciting than any incoming player.