Maguire | he stays!

lifted

I can't believe how many mistakes he's made and how bad he's been for us and people are still saying he's a good player. I think he was useless for us and he'll be useless for them. But it's all about opinions, I'm delighted he's gone, possibly more exciting than any incoming player.
Very different expectations and very different styles. He's a decent player. Not being good enough for United doesn't mean he can't be good enough for West Ham especially under a manager who is, in a sense, a bit old school.

NotQuiteManc

Pretty amazing summer transfer window (so far!) really. The club being able to actually sell a player for more than 5 million is quite a feat when in recent years most players would either go for free or for a really, really low fee.

Then again, I won't believe it until he plays the piano for The Hammers during the unveiling. :nervous:

moodyred

So happy with this transfer. A very logical move for both Maguire and United. I don't know if West Ham really got a bargain or not, but it's definitely good for United to close this chapter on Maguire.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I can't believe how many mistakes he's made and how bad he's been for us and people are still saying he's a good player. I think he was useless for us and he'll be useless for them. But it's all about opinions, I'm delighted he's gone, possibly more exciting than any incoming player.
Let’s be honest, he’s a nervous wreck. His confidence is so low that it’s almost unfair to judge him based on the past 18 months. If he can rebuild that at West Ham I think he’ll do very well for them.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
He had a few good years for us and then it inexplicably went downhill. Good luck to the lad.

el3mel

We bought him for 80m and sold him for 30m only. Got stripped from the armband along the way.

Absolute fecking disaster of a deal that was from the start. Easily one of our worst transfers ever, maybe even the worst.

slyadams

Because he is a good player. Its clear he's struggled for us, but many excellent players have struggled for us and that wasn't in one of the most tempestuous periods in our history. Sometimes players just don't fit, then they have confidence issues and its a spiral. To suggest he's not a PL defender after what he's done in his career is mental. I think he'll do very well there.

Robbie Boy

Being Captain means nothing if a player doesn't behave like a Captain.

I remember watching United games during the pandemic with empty stadiums. You could hear the players talking and shouting at each other.

Maguire was quiet as a mouse.

Even during defensive set pieces where a defender who is also Captain should be marshaling his players he was silent
Don't get me wrong, he was a rubbish captain and a ridiculous signing. But, he's gotten a shit tonne of abuse and it would be good for him if can turn his fortunes around. The signing doesn't seem to have gone down to well with WH fans, so any kind of bad start and the knives will be out.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People still pretending his first two years were "good"?

Guy was a catastrophic signing. Good luck for the future, though I expect West Ham fans will be calling for his and Moyes' head soon
His first 18 months were inconsistent. Some very good, some bad, overall I'd say he was borderline between decent and good. Then he had half a season of fantastic form where he was one of the best defenders in the league, before it all fell apart in his third season. He recovered a bit after that but has still struggled.

It really depends on whether Maguire can recover with a new start. If they get the Maguire that we had for the first two years, he'll be their best defender even though he wasn't quite good enough for us even then.

Last edited:

red.knight

Pretty amazing summer transfer window (so far!) really. The club being able to actually sell a player for more than 5 million is quite a feat when in recent years most players would either go for free or for a really, really low fee.

Then again, I won't believe it until he plays the piano for The Hammers during the unveiling. :nervous:
This could be one of our best transfer window for several seasons. 10/10 so far. We still need few incomings/outgoings.

Perro Caca

We bought him for 80m and sold him for 30m only. Got stripped from the armband along the way.

Absolute fecking disaster of a deal that was from the start. Easily one of our worst transfers ever, maybe even the worst.
Sanchez. Harry has been an awful signing but there was times when he was good for us, I'm thinking of that year we lost the Europa League final and everyone was sweating it when he got injured

TheLord

30m is the final price.
Any add-ons will never be met unless those add-ons read like, "number of own goals conceded", "number of bloopers committed," or "number of times attackers go past him", "number of times left red-faced" and "number of matches lost".

Thank you, Moyes for your first brilliant contribution to Manchester United.

OrcaFat

People still pretending his first two years were "good"?

Guy was a catastrophic signing. Good luck for the future, though I expect West Ham fans will be calling for his and Moyes' head soon
Why bother with this stuff?

Plenty of people on the caf and in the media thought Maguire was very good for the first couple of years. Perhaps you think that if you snipe about incredulously, everybody will suddenly agree with you. Save your energy.

Just be happy he’s going, like the rest of us, even the ones who recognise his good performances in the past. We’re all celebrating and can do it without trashing the decent work of a solid pro.

ShoePolish

Pogba's transfer will need some absolute ineptitude to beat.
Harry was playing in wrong decade. He'd be worth something 20-30 years ago. Big, english lad that can clatter opponents. Don't need to be involved in passage of play much.

Sir Chapman

We are serious contenders for the net spend cup if we get 40m for Mctominay. :drool:
So far we have a very good transfer window. Let's make it to a perfect one by selling Mc Tominay, Fred, Henderson, Bailly and VDB :drool:

Last edited:

James_42

Fully expecting Maguire and Moyes to pretend they were hard done by United and the fans, when it's been clear for a while he isn't good enough.

arnie_ni

Good for all parties. He should do well in a back 5 and reignite his career

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Is this done? A lot people celebrating, from what I can see a bid has been accepted and that's all.

Don't be surprised if he turns this move down and stays.

edgecutter

I ain't getting my hopes up until there's a picture on the BBC with him holding a West Ham shirt

TsuWave

Why bother with this stuff?

Plenty of people on the caf and in the media thought Maguire was very good for the first couple of years. Perhaps you think that if you snipe about incredulously, everybody will suddenly agree with you. Save your energy.

Just be happy he’s going, like the rest of us, even the ones who recognise his good performances in the past. We’re all celebrating and can do it without trashing the decent work of a solid pro.
Because it's a discussion forum and I disagree that he was good and want to voice so :confused:

I'm happy he's going - even wished him good luck - do I have to lie about how I feel about him as a signing and performances because he's a good pro?

tomaldinho1

Is this done? A lot people celebrating, from what I can see a bid has been accepted and that's all.

Don't be surprised if he turns this move down and stays.
Reportedly personal terms aren't seen to be an issue, I guess now we'll see how accurate that is when he's faced with the reality of probably halving his salary. He needs to leave and I think he wants to, I'm hopeful it will work out for everyone.

I think he should be remembered simply as a decent player who was the victim of a terrible period for the club with a hands off coach and no real strategy from anyone in the higher ups. His head went and he became an error prone scapegoat but he wasn't to blame for us being bad. I wish him the best but am happy if this goes through.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Pogba 90m and going for nothing outstrips it arguably.
Or even DVB 40m and never for a second looked any cop. 3 seasons in.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Reportedly personal terms aren't seen to be an issue, I guess now we'll see how accurate that is when he's faced with the reality of probably halving his salary. He needs to leave and I think he wants to, I'm hopeful it will work out for everyone.

I think he should be remembered simply as a decent player who was the victim of a terrible period for the club with a hands off coach and no real strategy from anyone in the higher ups. His head went and he became an error prone scapegoat but he wasn't to blame for us being bad. I wish him the best but am happy if this goes through.
Not sure it was that terrible with 2nd and 3rd place finishes in there?

CM

Good deal for all parties, I'm just glad we're not letting this deal break down. Hopefully McTominay won't be too far behind.

AFC NimbleThumb

He was brilliant before Greece, still have no idea what he was thinking going there in the first place. He's not bright.
The way I see it:

First season: started weak, making a few mistakes, but grow up in the season, and overall it was a decent season. Not great, but good enough. Our best CB.
Second season (Greece was the summer prior that): started terribly, but massively improved. Was a top 5 CB in the league in the second half of the season, then had a brilliant Euros. Our best CB.
Third season: Terrible from start to end, but almost everyone was terrible that season. Both Varane and Lindelof were better.
Fourth season: Somehow managed to be even worse than in the third season. Was also not as good as in the prior two competitions for England in WC2022. Varane, Lisandro, Lindelof and Shaw were better.
Sums it up well but as you say he wasn’t particularly brilliant in his first season, pre-Greece.

He was never going to prove worth £80mil for us & that was my point from the off, no matter how ‘good’ he was for periods he surrounded those with such terrible moments whilst the flaws in his game were visible immediately.

For me he’s a worse signing than Pogba who was derided whilst here & was given far more goodwill than even someone like Rashford was. He was given the captaincy undeservedly & I can’t think of a player in recent years who received more patience in spite of performances. I wish I was wrong, and I often am, but I called this the moment we signed him; OgS fecked us with that Summer spend.

mshnsh

Never good enough for us. Him, Mctominayand Fred represent an era at United where mediocrity was accepted.

Why we spent 80M on him, i dont know.

glasgow 21

Pogba's transfer will need some absolute ineptitude to beat.
Harry was playing in wrong decade. He'd be worth something 20-30 years ago. Big, english lad that can clatter opponents. Don't need to be involved in passage of play much.
The only thing on Pogba is at least Juventus is getting a taste of what we suffered. Doesn't make it better but helps to digest the broken glass.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Sums it up well but as you say he wasn’t particularly brilliant in his first season, pre-Greece.

He was never going to prove worth £80mil for us & that was my point from the off, no matter how ‘good’ he was for periods he surrounded those with such terrible moments whilst the flaws in his game were visible immediately.

For me he’s a worse signing than Pogba who was derided whilst here & was given far more goodwill than even someone like Rashford was. He was given the captaincy undeservedly & I can’t think of a player in recent years who received more patience in spite of performances. I wish I was wrong, and I often am, but I called this the moment we signed him; OgS fecked us with that Summer spend.
That was just poor management from the club. To justify that fee he'd have to have a transformative impact few defenders have ever managed, eg like van Dijk for Liverpool, which was srtting the transfer up to fail.
He was far less corrosive an influence than the likes of Pogba though.

acolyte

Or maybe saxophone, so he could play his theme song:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Actually do wish the Slab the best of luck