Maguire | he stays!

C'est Moi Cantona

There’s a lot of facetious people in this thread claiming that they’d just give up millions to go and join a West Ham side that narrowly avoided relegation and play some of the most negative football under David Moyes. It’s definitely not the simple decision that many claim.
Depends if money comes before been given the chance to rebuild your career. Lets face it he'll have that much money already that £6 million or £12 million, it's all just numbers to look at in your bank account anyway.

Whatever Harry has made his choice, and he can have no complaints however ETH decides to use him this season now.

worldinmotion66

if EtH continues with how he has been i think it is. West Ham are a premier league team. He wouldve been their starter, rumor was also talking of captain (not sure on that). If he is a starter with West Ham then Southgate has his excuse to continue playing him and Maguire gets one last shot at the Euros. Maguire still gets paid well overall to play a game for a living, and gets to maximize the last couple of years of his playing career.

Or instead with him staying he will hardly feature, maybe get minutes here or there. Southgate will be under immense pressure to not bring him to euros, and think he will have to leave him off the team once maguire continues to get no starts here and very limited time overall. Maguire wastes one of his last years of his career with not playing, and gets to collect his slightly higher checks than he wouldve at West Ham. Footballers have a limited time frame on their career, and he has made a decent amount of money throughout his contract here. I hope the last bit of cash is worth his Euros spot.
I’m sure he’ll reassess in January if he’s not had enough game time, but he’s got very little competition. Colwill is a huge talent but Maguire has experience and England form to fall back on. He’s still among England’s top centre backs. It’s also very flippant to suggest that £5m+ is just “slightly higher pay checks”. It’s life changing money for the people he cares about.

I’m not saying that I would stick around if I were him, I’d want to play football. But perhaps that’s actually a selfish way to look at things and what he’s actually doing is for the benefit of his kids and extended family?

Perhaps he doesn’t want to live down south because he’s a northerner? Perhaps he doesn’t want to uproot his family? Perhaps he doesn’t fancy a relegation battle or dire, defensive football? There are so many things we don’t know about the deal and people just make assumptions based on their own pro United prejudice.

It’s not the end of the world having Maguire at the club for another year. It’s far worse that we can’t offload Donny to make space for another midfielder.

dubplate warrior

I'm all for paying him what is owed. The club made that mistake. The wages he is on and the contract were silly and bad business is bad business. Having said that, it is in the interest of both parties to part ways at this point. plain and simple.
If we assumed that there was a 90k difference in the salary he would of received at West Ham and Manchester United as reported, then £9,360,000. Is what we would roughly owe him. feck Harry.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If we assumed that there was a 90k difference in the salary he would of received at West Ham and Manchester United as reported, then £9,360,000. Is what we would roughly owe him. feck Harry.
Dont forget the loyalty bonus as he is loyal and wants to fulfill his contract.

Todd

players would hardly move if thats the case. His time is up and time to move on, players usually accept it and start another chapter of their career. It says a lot for him he has no ambition or drive to play football, after already a year being on the bench. Genuinely cant think of a worse captain weve had
Ok, buckle up for this because I'm about to do something that I've not really ever done before: defend Harry Maguire.

Every footballer should look at his career as a cost/benefit analysis. Once they reach the highest level, they have a finite amount of time to perform at that level, and, more importantly, capitalize on that ever-closing window of opportunity financially.

People need to keep in mind that every time these guys step onto the pitch, it could be the last time. All it takes is one moment and it's all gone. Leg snapped in half from an awful challenge. A head-on-head collision with another player, or, even worse, the goalposts. We all watched Christian Eriksen nearly die on the pitch from a cardiac incident. Some players come back from these types of things, but many don't. So it's very important to get that money when you have the opportunity.

Every footballer has a maximum potential. Maguire reached his maximum potential with Leicester. He was player of the season for a team that finished 9th in the EPL; that's not bad for a footballer, being a great player for a mid-table club. He also played in two World Cups, and played in the Euros and was named in the Team of the Tournament. That's a pretty great career right there; not everyone can go down as a Maldini or a Cannavaro. And then, because a famous club with a terrible track record of foolish spending decided to go all-in on him, he simply rose to his level of incompetence, and as a result, got a big, fat contract that he probably didn't deserve.

So, here's where we are. We have this player that rose to his level of incompetence, and everyone knows that he's not good enough to be an elite player for a famous club, and he can surely see the writing on the wall, but...there's this pile of money with his name on it, waiting for him as long as he continues to show up for work every day. What's in Maguire's future if he leaves United? Walking into Barcelona's team and winning the Champions League? Winning the World Cup with England in a couple years? No. His future is to drop back to the level he can handle, being a good player on some team that's going to finish middle of the table. What's that worth to his footballing legacy? Absolutely nothing. Is that worth giving up insane amounts of money that will help him and his family have a wonderful life after football? Hell no.

Maguire the footballer has accomplished everything he's capable of accomplishing as a footballer; from here on out it only gets worse for him. So he might as well get all that money owed to him, in anticipation of his life after football.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Depends if money comes before been given the chance to rebuild your career. Lets face it he'll have that much money already that £6 million or £12 million, it's all just numbers to look at in your bank account anyway.

Whatever Harry has made his choice, and he can have no complaints however ETH decides to use him this season now.
Just like these are just characters but just think about how many people get to earn 12m in their entire livelihood.

bdspeedy

He's got nothing to prove to you lot!
Right. He's proven he's useless other than for banking a massive, unearned fortune. Good for him. Serves our parasite owners right. But feck him and let him languish in the reserves. I'd rather that than have a cardiac every time he plays, waiting for him to gift a goal to an opponent. He's finished here. I'd rather keep Bailey or resign Phil Jones. If he has any self respect, he'd leave and fight for his England spot and resurrect his now floundering career.

clarkydaz

Ok, buckle up for this because I'm about to do something that I've not really ever done before: defend Harry Maguire.

Every footballer should look at his career as a cost/benefit analysis. Once they reach the highest level, they have a finite amount of time to perform at that level, and, more importantly, capitalize on that ever-closing window of opportunity financially.

People need to keep in mind that every time these guys step onto the pitch, it could be the last time. All it takes is one moment and it's all gone. Leg snapped in half from an awful challenge. A head-on-head collision with another player, or, even worse, the goalposts. We all watched Christian Eriksen nearly die on the pitch from a cardiac incident. Some players come back from these types of things, but many don't. So it's very important to get that money when you have the opportunity.

Every footballer has a maximum potential. Maguire reached his maximum potential with Leicester. He was player of the season for a team that finished 9th in the EPL; that's not bad for a footballer, being a great player for a mid-table club. He also played in two World Cups, and played in the Euros and was named in the Team of the Tournament. That's a pretty great career right there; not everyone can go down as a Maldini or a Cannavaro. And then, because a famous club with a terrible track record of foolish spending decided to go all-in on him, he simply rose to his level of incompetence, and as a result, got a big, fat contract that he probably didn't deserve.

So, here's where we are. We have this player that rose to his level of incompetence, and everyone knows that he's not good enough to be an elite player for a famous club, and he can surely see the writing on the wall, but...there's this pile of money with his name on it, waiting for him as long as he continues to show up for work every day. What's in Maguire's future if he leaves United? Walking into Barcelona's team and winning the Champions League? Winning the World Cup with England in a couple years? No. His future is to drop back to the level he can handle, being a good player on some team that's going to finish middle of the table. What's that worth to his footballing legacy? Absolutely nothing. Is that worth giving up insane amounts of money that will help him and his family have a wonderful life after football? Hell no.

Maguire the footballer has accomplished everything he's capable of accomplishing as a footballer; from here on out it only gets worse for him. So he might as well get all that money owed to him, in anticipation of his life after football.
You're talking like he's struggling to heat his home this winter. Look at the wealth Ronaldo has and achievement, yet he still scorched the earth to leave and play football at 37. Sincerely hope he doesn't make match day squads if he clings on

Nicolarra90

Think Harry is just thinking that once Varane gets injured and Licha is suspended ETH will have to play him.

A couple of games here and there will be enough for Southgate. He will still go to the Euro’s.
And shaw gets fatter, and malacia gets slower, and dalot gets sold and mctominay leaves.

AndySmith1990

The average premier league footballer earns enough in 10 years to buy a massive house, pay off the mortgage, put all their kids through university, and amass savings of millions of pounds which will set them up for life. That puts them in a more privileged position than 99% of the population

I always find it a little classless and actually quite disgusting when I read that footballers need to prioritise making money above all else. Some perspective wouldn't go amiss

Todd

You're talking like he's struggling to heat his home this winter. Look at the wealth Ronaldo has and achievement, yet he still scorched the earth to leave and play football at 37. Sincerely hope he doesn't make match day squads if he clings on
You cannot compare a bang-average pro footballer with a guy who is, at worst, the second-best footballer ever. Maguire, like the majority of pro athletes, has to be realistic about what benefits him the most as a human being when it comes to his career, especially since he has reached the point in the career where he's over the hill.

Having a lot of money is great, but having a lot more is even better, when it comes to securing a comfortable future for your family.

The extra money should simply be worth more to a guy like Maguire at this point than going and trying to play for a lessor club is.

KD6-3.7

We should have just payed out the useless fridge’s contract. Our whole transfer window went tits up the moment his move to West Ham broke down.

I don’t care if it’s not the ‘United way’ whatever that useless sentiment means, he should be booed if he ever steps foot on the pitch again, clubs like Madrid would do a whole lot worst and it’s why they are able to keep such a high standards for their club while we cheer on mediocrity Who let us down over and over again.

Todd

The average premier league footballer earns enough in 10 years to buy a massive house, pay off the mortgage, put all their kids through university, and amass savings of millions of pounds which will set them up for life. That puts them in a more privileged position than 99% of the population

I always find it a little classless and actually quite disgusting when I read that footballers need to prioritise making money above all else. Some perspective wouldn't go amiss
It's a simply matter of cost/benefit analysis, man.

If I thought that Harry Maguire had it in him to be one of the best CBs in the world and win major trophies by leaving United, then I'd argue that he should go for it. But Harry Maguire going to some other club is NOT going to be the thing that makes that club win trophies. Again, his career trajectory is only DOWN at this point.

And besides, if the money isn't going to the footballers, it's going to the billionaire owners, and I would hope that nobody would rather see that money going to the owners than to the players, no matter who they are.

I'd rather see Maguire rot on our bench and collect every last pound owed to him than see one extra pound go in the pockets of the Glazers.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

If I thought that Harry Maguire had it in him to be one of the best CBs in the world and win major trophies by leaving United, then I'd argue that he should go for it. But Harry Maguire going to some other club is NOT going to be the thing that makes that club win trophies. Again, his career trajectory is only DOWN at this point.

And besides, if the money isn't going to the footballers, it's going to the billionaire owners, and I would hope that nobody would rather see that money going to the owners than to the players, no matter who they are.

I'd rather see Maguire rot on our bench and collect every last pound owed to him than see one extra pound go in the pockets of the Glazers.
Look at it at a different angle and it is a win-win-win situation for all three parties involved.

Man Utd didn't buckle to Maguire's 12m payoff demand.
Maguire can collect every penny from his existing contract
West Ham didn't spend 30m on an over the hill center back with no resale value.

Everybody wins.

m1tch

Never play him. Throw him in the reserves, get him away from the squad. Let this be a lesson to other players.
I think this is very rarely done as it puts players off joining clubs if they think it's what'll happen if they were to lose form and/or refuse a move.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We should have just payed out the useless fridge’s contract. Our whole transfer window went tits up the moment his move to West Ham broke down.

I don’t care if it’s not the ‘United way’ whatever that useless sentiment means, he should be booed if he ever steps foot on the pitch again, clubs like Madrid would do a whole lot worst and it’s why they are able to keep such a high standards for their club while we cheer on mediocrity Who let us down over and over again.
Cheering on mediocrity is what we do.
We hail failure and poor performances.
I'll never forget when Moyes was given a standing ovation for taking us to 6th place (at the time), from 1st place the previous season (when Fergie won the league). Shocking.

bdspeedy

"What we've got here......." Like Cool Hand Luke, he needs to get his mind right. He is slow footed and slow witted undrer pressure and sadly, his head being gone is the worst part of it. Smaller club. Less stress may be just the thing.

the_cliff

What if the reason Maguire doesn't want to move is because he's scared he won't do well there. Everyone is saying he won't play for England in the Euros if he sits on the bench but it's already been seen that an occasional start gets him into the England team. If he goes to West Ham and get's dropped by Moyes however...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can't believe the Saudis have never come in for this lad.

Imagine all the sportswashing you could do with that giant feckin' head.

Lyng

His PR is out in full force. That utter bellend Adrian Durham blaming ETH for ruining Maguires career.
Kindly feck off lad.

redcucumber

Is going to West Ham (and potentially being made captain as per reports) to be a starter in all of their games and make 100-150k a week really a downgrade to barely making the squad at United and being on 200-215k a week? Bearing in mind the additional £6m payoff he'd also accrue from United if he joined West Ham.

buchansleftleg

Has anyone considered using Maguire as a "midfield destroyer" to plug the gaps in the squad?

I can really see this working if we get the setup just right!

All we need to do is sneak him onto the pitch wearing the opposition's shirt, (an injury break or throw-in would be a good opportunity) and let him create mayhem in the opposition's team for 10-15 minutes. giving us an enhanced chance to score.

He then sneaks off the pitch once the damage is done and the opposition player replaces him after being subdued on our bench. We just need some sort of restraint for the player on the bench, and a series of mission impossible style full face masks of the opposition players.

Redlyn

Perspective is relative. There are people living on a dollar a day. So it's well and good for you to claim he has enough in the same way someone else thinks you have more than enough. The lifestyle he has and wants to maintain for the rest of his life and provide same lifestyle for his kids in their lifetime costs a lot. He will definitely want to maximize his earnings while he can.

Last edited:

croadyman

Perspective is relative. There are people living on a dollar a day. So it's well and good for you to claim he has enough in the same way someone else thinks you have more than enough. The lifestyle he has and wants to maintain for the rest of his life and provide same lifestyle for his kids in their lifetime costs a lot. He will definitely want to maximize his earnings while he can.
Yeah frustrated as we probably feel towards him for staying it all comes down to the ridiculously high wages paid by Woody & Judge (god that sounds like a budget version of Rosie & Jim)

Marcus

Well, he played this well. Knowing that the state of health of our CBs is fragile, he may have a chance even as the 5th choice.

Abraxas

There’s a lot of facetious people in this thread claiming that they’d just give up millions to go and join a West Ham side that narrowly avoided relegation and play some of the most negative football under David Moyes. It’s definitely not the simple decision that many claim.
I agree. Problem is many don't really want to put themselves in his shoes. They're mainly seeing it from their own/what they believe is the best for the club perspective. Which is understandable, but until you approach it from his perspective it is very easy to demonise the guy.

Harry has no obligation to do what we think is best for the club in the market. His obligation is to turn up, be professional and perform to the best of his ability.

West Ham were absolutely abysmal in the league last season and struggled to make headway in the transfer market after selling their best player. Can easily look at that and think they could be in for a relegation scrap. It also represents a pay cut. There is plenty to look at and wonder about there as a player. We also don't know precisely what ETH said to him. It's very possible he hasn't left him completely without chances. Clearly he is way down the pecking order. But if he has left a glimmer for Maguire to compete that would factor in and we have absolutely no clue what that discussion was.

So I'm afraid the case is we have to face the consequences of our own transfer decisions and contract offerings and accept that sometimes we won't be able to spin our way out. The more egregious the decisions are the more likely it is we will have difficult situations such as this, so it's incumbent on us to sort that out in future.

worldinmotion66

I agree. Problem is many don't really want to put themselves in his shoes. They're mainly seeing it from their own/what they believe is the best for the club perspective. Which is understandable, but until you approach it from his perspective it is very easy to demonise the guy.

Harry has no obligation to do what we think is best for the club in the market. His obligation is to turn up, be professional and perform to the best of his ability.

West Ham were absolutely abysmal in the league last season and struggled to make headway in the transfer market after selling their best player. Can easily look at that and think they could be in for a relegation scrap. It also represents a pay cut. There is plenty to look at and wonder about there as a player. We also don't know precisely what ETH said to him. It's very possible he hasn't left him completely without chances. Clearly he is way down the pecking order. But if he has left a glimmer for Maguire to compete that would factor in and we have absolutely no clue what that discussion was.

So I'm afraid the case is we have to face the consequences of our own transfer decisions and contract offerings and accept that sometimes we won't be able to spin our way out. The more egregious the decisions are the more likely it is we will have difficult situations such as this, so it's incumbent on us to sort that out in future.
100%

Not so long ago players were praised for their professionalism and desire to fight for their place. The guy did extra training this summer and people still follow the media driven narrative. I’d much prefer a player that wants to be here and work hard than one that doesn’t.

He’ll get his opportunities this season and I hope he does well, genuinely think he’ll improve with Onana behind him.

Sakura

Behave like Ronaldo, get shit on by fans.

Behave like Dean Henderson, get shit on by fans.

Behave like Maguire, be loyal and stay on, get shit on by fans.

United is really the most toxic club.

Cloud7

We aren't super far away from Harry getting a return to the team, are we

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

:lol:

Marcus

I think the key to this puzzle is to add word "some" before "fans".