g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Maguire needs to be replaced

justsomebloke

I would question whether he is on the decline (long term) but hasn't he been great for England. I know i know, different situation but i've been told he's been very good for England.
What, he's been great for England from what I've seen. He made the EUros tournament team, for christ's sake.

Lentwood

Pogba….

I think you’ll find though it was people thinking he would fail rather than wanting. Since it was a huge step up for him coming from relegation fighting Leicester
I don't recall people wanting Pogba to fail...I was at his 2nd home debut, crowd absolutely loved him.

Plus...relegation fighting Leicester? Not whilst Maguire was in the team

Also, how come when Rashford stinks the place out for best part of 18 months, it's because he has been "carrying a knock" and we're wrong to criticise him. Maguire soldiers on with a calf injury, clearly not fit, in a suicidal tactical set-up and it's "Maguire needs to be replaced". It baffles me. If I was Maguire I would be tempted to do what most players would do and sack it off, "sorry boss, I'm injured"...let's see how much better we do with Bailly and Lindelof

dal

:lol: :lol: He’s just come back from injury he was brilliant last year.

red4ever 79

My least favourite player that I can remember. We were 3-0 on Sunday and there was a pause in play after Ronaldo had booted the ball against the lad's stomach on the floor. The camera panned to Maguire and he is stood there arms on his hips doing nothing. Should have been rallying the troops, issuing the bollockings. Like a wet fart, no authority in him at all.

MUFC OK

“He’s been overplayed, he’s just back from injury, he’s still injured, he smacked a police officer in Greece, he needs a top Cb to partner him”.

We will forever make excuses for this guy.
Take your pick.

Please tell me why he is so fallible to the ball across the box from the byline and has made zero improvement in this area - I must have seen 20 goals conceded, often in big games where he’s to blame for this -usually along with his LB. Atalanta and Liverpool in the past week, Sevilla SF, Chelsea SF all spring to mind.

If Phil Jones was turning in some of these performances he’d be rightly slated - Maguire should be dropped for the time being based on form. Telles deserves a chance over Shaw as well.

RatPack

I agree that there are better options as captain.
But it seems no defenders coming to United is good enough or they get worse here.
Maybe the problems is not with our defenders but the screaming lack of a great DCM. We have no cover for the defense. They need to cover everything and therefore makes more mistakes.
On top of this I do not believe Ole is able to make the setup for our defense.

Revan

Assumptionman
You're doing the lords work buddy. Banter aside hope you're well.

I agree. Michael Dawson, Gary Cahill, Eric Dier, Phil Jagielka, Jones/Smalling. That's about his level.
Cahill was significantly better than Maguire. Agree about the others.

NoLogo

Imo rushed back from injury but as open as we were in the second half against Leicester and against Liverpool not even van Dijk would have a good game. There are some good analysis out that showed how we faltered from the front trying to press Liverpool without having any coordinated pressing implemented with the team and on top of that Ronaldo who simply doesn't do any pressing. I don't blame any of the defenders for looking bad in the last two games, this is 110% on Ole and his idiot staff. I mean what were they thinking?

Revan

Assumptionman
I don’t disagree he’s not in the same league as CBs I grew up with, including Kevin Moran.
however after Varane he is our 2nd best cb.
until such times as we get a new one then we gotta work with him.
not sure about the bullying bit of your post though.
This is a hill I am willing to die and have been saying for roughly two and a half years: Maguire is not better than Lindelof, at best case (and that is a big IF), he is marginally better. Better in the air, for sure, stronger, yes. But he also switches off every other game, is the easiest professional defender I have seen to dribble against, gets nutmegged in his 6 own yard, and is a poor organizer.

I think the new manager, whoever is him, should start Varane-Lindelof with Maguire needing to earn back his place. If he manages something close to his form for England (again a big IF, unless we play with 3 at the back), sure, put him in instead of Lindelof. If not, let him in the bench and take the money hit (something that we should also do with AWB, but in his case, he is not even good for the bench).

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Maguire was on a downer from day one simply because of the fee. Some fans can’t get their head around that and so they expect him to be something he’s not - a VVD level cb

what he is - a good PL level CB

what he’s currently going through is bad form. We know that because he played much better 2nd half of last season, where you all lamented that he was missing from the EL final and we’re stuck with Bailly and Lindelof. We know also because of how he played in the summers where he was amongst England’s best players

he clearly needs taken out of the firing line until he’s properly fit and sharp again.

as for captain, at the time we had little leadership, DeGea not in good form, Shaw not in good form etc. Who else would you have given it to?

golden_blunder

Staff
This is a hill I am willing to die and have been saying for roughly two and a half years: Maguire is not better than Lindelof, at best case (and that is a big IF), he is marginally better. Better in the air, for sure, stronger, yes. But he also switches off every other game, is the easiest professional defender I have seen to dribble against, gets nutmegged in his 6 own yard, and is a poor organizer.

I think the new manager, whoever is him, should start Varane-Lindelof with Maguire needing to earn back his place. If he manages something close to his form for England (again a big IF, unless we play with 3 at the back), sure, put him in instead of Lindelof. If not, let him in the bench and take the money hit (something that we should also do with AWB, but in his case, he is not even good for the bench).
Sorry i don’t agree. A fully fit Maguire is twice the defender Lindelof is. Lindelof allows you to do what you want on the pitch as a defender, he’s reactive rather than proactive
I suspect we will have to agree to disagree

DickDastardly

Maguire was on a downer from day one simply because of the fee. Some fans can’t get their head around that and so they expect him to be something he’s not - a VVD level cb

what he’s currently going through is bad form. We know that because he played much better 2nd half of last season, where you all lamented that he was missing from the EL final and we’re stuck with Bailly and Lindelof. We know also because of how he played in the summers where he was amongst England’s best players

he clearly needs taken out of the firing line until he’s properly fit and sharp again.

as for captain, at the time we had little leadership, DeGea not in good form, Shaw not in good form etc. Who else would you have given it to?
Agree. Get him some time off, off the pitch, off the media circle. He looks unfit.
He needs a personal trainer - go phone Rio or Nemanja and ask them how to be fit for a whole season.

As for Captain - give it to Bruno. He's vocal. He playes most of the games. He's a winner.

MUFC OK

Completely agree on this. I too was choosing not to believe how bang average he was until more recently. I think lindelof is better overall.

Ole and the club will fall on their sword in this one - he cost £80m and was made the captain straight away - the club needs to not be so stubborn and accept he isn’t prime John Terry as we had hoped.

It’s ironic that ole signed him and AWB, who are both suited to 3 at the back, yet he never plays it. I think conte could use both effectively and Along with a new RWB and CDM would have a squad capable of competing. The club is clearly going to let that opportunity pass them by though.

Strelok

Bruno?

I always give him the armband in FM. He probably has one of the highest leadership attributes in the game.

Joking aside, he's the only one came to defend Ronaldo last match. And he'd make a good captain imo.

David De Gea

My least favourite player that I can remember. We were 3-0 on Sunday and there was a pause in play after Ronaldo had booted the ball against the lad's stomach on the floor. The camera panned to Maguire and he is stood there arms on his hips doing nothing. Should have been rallying the troops, issuing the bollockings. Like a wet fart, no authority in him at all.
That image is seared in to my brain as well and it really jumped out at me. Here we were getting trounced by our most bitter rivals and our captain was standing in the middle of the players, sullen and slumped shoulders looking like a beaten man. Absolutely no spark and no passion, even his post match interview was dour nothingness.

When the role model for the team, the leader, the defensive lynch pin of the team is actually one of the weakest links, one of the ones making the most and most costly mistakes are you really surprised when the rest of the team looks so bad?

golden_blunder

Staff
Bruno?

I always give him the armband in FM. He probably has one of the highest leadership attributes in the game.

Joking aside, he's the only one came to defend Ronaldo last match. And he'd make a good captain imo.
To be honest I forgot about Bruno. Perhaps they didn’t expect him to be so vocal or felt they needed someone with PL experience but yeah I agree, Bruno.
There wasn’t really anyone else you’d consider for captain in the rest of the squad. Matic probably IF he played all the time

golden_blunder

Staff
That image is seared in to my brain as well and it really jumped out at me. Here we were getting trounced by our most bitter rivals and our captain was standing in the middle of the players, sullen and slumped shoulders looking like a beaten man. Absolutely no spark and no passion, even his post match interview was dour nothingness.

When the role model for the team, the leader, the defensive lynch pin of the team is actually one of the weakest links, one of the ones making the most and most costly mistakes are you really surprised when the rest of the team looks so bad?
The team looked so bad on Sunday, and I’ll say it again, Ole lost the players against Leicester.
Every single one of them, collectively they weren’t in that match on Sunday.
it’s why so much bitching is being leaked now, a lot of it seems long held, underlying.
Best thing is ole resigns and we see what these players are made off under a new manager

Strelok

To be honest I forgot about Bruno. Perhaps they didn’t expect him to be so vocal or felt they needed someone with PL experience but yeah I agree, Bruno.
There wasn’t really anyone else you’d consider for captain in the rest of the squad. Matic probably IF he played all the time
Yeah and it might actually turn out a good thing for Maguire. Atm imo too much heat and expectation is on him, a bit less may do wonders I think.

Hughes35

This basically. I don't think he's fully fit. Most likely a Rashford situation where he is pushing through at 80%.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just one of those heavier unit players who looks dreadful when unfit.
We saw it at the start of last season, and we're seeing it now.

Add in the seeming total stop of using any sort of tactics this year beyond "go out there and win" from the management, and I'm not surprised he's looking poor amongst everyone else.

Not someone I worry about long term though under a better manager.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Weren't you the confirmed top red from the other thread?
Hardly surprising you go out if your way to defend. It's part of your identity at this point
Being offside is clearly part of yours. Because I have never identified as a 'top red' or whatever the idiotic idea stands for. I don't suddenly morph into one by pointing out something that is basic common sense, neither......

GMoore23

Maguire, Shaw and Fred all need to be benched until they get their act together but it probably won't happen. I don't think I've ever seen a manager under so much pressure yet willing to try absolutely nothing new. He's supposed to be a good man manager but I don't see that either. He keeps in with the big names so that they back him in crisis times like these.
Bailly was told he was wanted and was handed a new contract yet doesn't even get a minute even when Varane is injured and Maguire is both totally out of form and unfit to boot.
VDB is pleaded with to stay and promised a bigger role. He gets a run out in the league cup where he does really well and assists a goal yet he is then benched again and has to watch on as Fred misplaces every 3rd pass :houllier::houllier:
Cavani was unsettled in England but was begged to stay. Being the true soldier that he is, he agreed to one more year. A few weeks down the line he's asked to give up his No7 shirt and is then handed a role on the bench.

Ole has proven to me that he's not a man of his word now which is something I can't stand in a person. You can't possibly be a great manager if your not a man of your word.

USREDEVIL

What, he's been great for England from what I've seen. He made the EUros tournament team, for christ's sake.
I'm saying he's been great for England. So he shouldn't be that bad for United if we were set up right and had a damn midfield. As some posters have mentioned, he's not quite fit. Think he'll be fine going forward. Not sure what's up with Shaw though.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Spot on

ariveded

Have to sympathize with players like Maguire.

Many makes false opinions unconscious based on appearance. Maguire doesnt have the fancy style or looks, nor speed or height. Thus, many unfair stereotypes about him.

He is in badform, but he isnt a bad player nor a bad captain.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't recall people wanting Pogba to fail...I was at his 2nd home debut, crowd absolutely loved him.

Plus...relegation fighting Leicester? Not whilst Maguire was in the team

Also, how come when Rashford stinks the place out for best part of 18 months, it's because he has been "carrying a knock" and we're wrong to criticise him. Maguire soldiers on with a calf injury, clearly not fit, in a suicidal tactical set-up and it's "Maguire needs to be replaced". It baffles me. If I was Maguire I would be tempted to do what most players would do and sack it off, "sorry boss, I'm injured"...let's see how much better we do with Bailly and Lindelof
Pretty sure crowd loved Maguire at his debut too. No one is talking about the home crowd

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Not him, probably someone who had been with the squad more than 5 minutes like Rashford. Had Maguire been captain at England and Leicester then it would have made sense.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Many makes false opinions unconscious based on appearance. Maguire doesnt have the fancy style or looks, nor speed or height. Thus, many unfair stereotypes about him.

He's not a bad player but a good player with big weaknesses that need to be covered for.

He is however a terrible captain. One of the worst I've ever seen in fact. I used to hate the fact that Ashley Young was our captain but he is without doubt a better captain than Maguire.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

1.94m or 6' 3" is plenty tall.

JB7

I'm saying he's been great for England. So he shouldn't be that bad for United if we were set up right and had a damn midfield. As some posters have mentioned, he's not quite fit. Think he'll be fine going forward. Not sure what's up with Shaw though.
Plays in front of an offensive goalkeeper for England.
A captain can't be error-prone, and Maguire is the most error-prone CB we've seen in a United shirt in quite some time.
He's literally not even the most "error-prone" centre back in the team.

HailtotheKing

“He’s been overplayed, he’s just back from injury, he’s still injured, he smacked a police officer in Greece, he needs a top Cb to partner him”.

We will forever make excuses for this guy.
Take your pick.

Please tell me why he is so fallible to the ball across the box from the byline and has made zero improvement in this area - I must have seen 20 goals conceded, often in big games where he’s to blame for this -usually along with his LB. Atalanta and Liverpool in the past week, Sevilla SF, Chelsea SF all spring to mind.

If Phil Jones was turning in some of these performances he’d be rightly slated - Maguire should be dropped for the time being based on form. Telles deserves a chance over Shaw as well.
Totally agree. So sick of that goal. Seen it so many times. And the captain should be rallying not sunken and defeated. He's just not a captain. At his best he's good enough but on current form, no question he should be dropped. It's not good for squad morale to see a player stinking the place out week on week but still get picked. I don't care if he's captain, in fact, even better. It sends a clear message - if you don't play well enough, you're out. Standards are important. Players need to know if they don't maintain them they'll be dropped and if you're a squad player, work hard enough and you'll get your chance. Otherwise, what's the point? All you do is the lower the standards of everyone and send morale to the floor with it. Really simple concept. And you're not a very good man-manager if you don't utilise it.

sukhy

Maguire is bang average. He's not suited to playing at a massive club, Leicester is his ceiling, where he has the opportunity to drop deep and defend in a tight line. Same reason he looks so good for England at the Euros, is because England didn't want the ball, and they let their opponents have possession, so it was easier to stay compact.

He can't step up and lead a team with a high line. Pique is pretty slow, but he used to have the cojones to step up and play on the half way line for Barca, because he's better at intercepting the ball than Maguire is/ever will ever be.

Maguire is also a terrible leader, there was a clip last year of him arguing with Rashford about the ridiculous red card that Martial got vs Spurs in the 6-1, and Maguire was siding with the ref. What kind of captain does that? Side with the ref and the opposition?

Stacks

defence conceeded more than Arsenal and Liverpool. didn't win any individual awards and never properly organised the defence. we conceded most from set pieces in the league. What did he do well?

literally the worst captain. does not lead by example nor inspire the team or defence. Looks as lost as the others when we need someone to turn to. The role is too big for him. Fails to organise the defence and crashes into teammates. Too soft

Flytan

This basically. I don't think he's fully fit. Most likely a Rashford situation where he is pushing through at 80%.
Yup, he was absolutely fecked over by ole. Is he Vvd? Absolutely not, but he's good enough to be a start in a title contending team. Price tag was inflated and it is unfair.

I do agree he shouldnt be captain though